Portnoy: Todd McShay to join Joe Douglas on Jets staff

25 minutes ago, freestater said:

I'm 48.

Hmm that's interesting. You're not a young kid, and neither is @joewilly12 and neither of you have a problem with that word on a shirt. Or would have any problem wearing it. Maybe I'm over reacting?

I guess it is what it is. Live and let live.

Good talking with you and joewilly about this, and thanks for keeping it civil. I found it very interesting and enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Hmm that's interesting. You're not a young kid, and neither is @joewilly12 and neither of you have a problem with that word on a shirt. Or would have any problem wearing it. Maybe I'm over reacting?

I guess it is what it is. Live and let live.

Good talking with you and joewilly about this, and thanks for keeping it civil. I found it very interesting and enjoyed it. 

You too, and so did I. I think Gen X and Boomers get lumped together a lot, but there are differences. Different experiences,  different times. I don't know about JoeWilly, but I was an 80s headbanging metal head. Wearing a shirt with the word godamn on it is a huge step towards respectability from my teenage years lol. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, freestater said:

You too, and so did I. I think Gen X and Boomers get lumped together a lot, but there are differences. Different experiences,  different times. I don't know about JoeWilly, but I was an 80s headbanging metal head. Wearing a shirt with the word godamn on it is a huge step towards respectability from my teenage years lol. 

Im 55 I've seen and done it all if only my body felt as good as  my mind does at the current time.  

I wear what I want and pretty much never anything offensive. 

But in todays world it seems everything is offensive to someone. 

• Upvote 3

Yeah to be in the late 40's.  That must really suck.  I mean, I'm in my early 40's myself,  Let's see what terrible things I went through that make living nowadays such a burden:  I got to see bands like Alice In Chains, Metallica, Pantera and Tool when they were young and relevant.  I remember what it was like when you could go to college and not have to carry over 27 thousand dollars of debt per year.  I remember when fast food restaurants didn't overcook everything and you could still buy tacos for around a dollar.  You could also "shoulder tap" an adult going into a 7-11 to buy you a six pack with your teenage friends.  And it wasn't a public scandal where they were worried about social media ostracizing them for an eternity.  Yeah it was terrible growing up in the 80's and early 90's.  I honestly don't know how us old fogies survived.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

Yeah to be in the late 40's.  That must really suck.  I mean, I'm in my early 40's myself,  Let's see what terrible things I went through:  I got to see bands like Alice In Chains, Metallica, Pantera and Tool when they were young and relevant.  I remember what it was like when you could go to college and not have to carry over 27 thousand dollars of college debt per year.  I remember when fast food restaurants didn't overcook everything and you could still buy tacos for around a dollar.  You could also "shoulder tap" an adult going into a 7-11 to buy you a six pack with your teenage friends.  And it wasn't a public scandal where they were worried about social media ostracizing them for an eternity.  Yeah it was terrible growing up in the 80's and early 90's.  I honestly don't know how us old fogies survived.

I could only imagine what I would have had to endure if every one of my idiot friends had a recording device readily at hand at all times. I definitely would have done jail time, lol

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im 55 I've seen and done it all if only my body felt as good as  my mind does at the current time.  

I wear what I want and pretty much never anything offensive. 

But in todays world it seems everything is offensive to someone. 

I think it's always been that way, just the things that society chooses to get outraged over changes. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2019 at 8:07 AM, T0mShane said:

He’s truly horrible. The major plus is that it gets McShay off the air. It can work if they’re planning on using McShay in a team spokesman-type role where he does radio hits and PR work. Lord knows he has nothing to add from a player evaluation standpoint. His whole career is aping Kiper and, every so often, slightly contradicting him as a means to manufacture a lame, short-lived debate segment. 

I don’t agree

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I get what you're saying, and I understand that joewilly feels it's "just a funny line from a movie."

Probably the best way I can explain this is with this example. Lets say you're invited to a house party or bbq. There are about 40 middle aged people there, most of whom you haven't met. You're wearing that tee shirt. What do you think goes through everyone's mind when they see it? Do you think you'd be making a good first impression?

I think there are a lot of things I project to people I know, who get me that I wouldnt risk at a party of strangers.  I think that goes for anyone.  I could care less if one of my friends has a deep belief, dont know If I want to see someones religious beliefs anymore than their political beliefs at a house party or BBQ.  Especially at first contact.

I think everything has its place.  Nothing more

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You might be right. Maybe it's an age thing. I'm over 60, and I don't find the shirt funny at all. Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

The reason I'm asking  is this "1952" comment, and that you said in another post that seeing a person wear it would make you think more highly of them.  

So am I, and even from the stuffy Midwest, and I can't for the life of me figure out how you are really trying to make this argument in this day and age. It's not a job interview. I'm amazed that you have this level of sensitivity with so much life experience. Frankly, anyone who would actually react to a silly T-shirt slogan is truly sheltered. 

5 hours ago, freestater said:

I think it's always been that way, just the things that society chooses to get outraged over changes. 

Yes we used to be offended by kids that went home while it was still light out.

We really were offended by the welchers...(I guess that term is offensive) and the rats. 

Don't forget the ones that refused to take their punishment. I can still see little Billy refusing to put his ass up, especially when he had no problem pegging me when it was my turn. 

It really still didn't bother us. We took care of our business on the field. 

I'm no saint joewilly. I've used that phrase in anger many times, but always feel guilty after I've done it.
However the idea that any adult might want to buy and/or wear that shirt is amazing to me. Then again, it seems I see tee shirts with offensive expressions on them more and more often. I always wonder if a person who would choose to put on something like that is making a conscience decision to have everyone they encounter that day think they're an idiot.

Or maybe not everyone subscribes to your religion or your version of god?

On 6/9/2019 at 9:06 PM, 14 in Green said:

I'm no saint joewilly. I've used that phrase in anger many times, but always feel guilty after I've done it.

However the idea that any adult might want to buy and/or wear that shirt is amazing to me. Then again, it seems I see tee shirts with offensive expressions on them more and more often. I always wonder if a person who would choose to put on something like that is making a conscience decision to have everyone they encounter that day think they're an idiot.

FFS.

This country needs to reinstitute the Draft asap....

Everyone is such a pussy anymore.

"WAHHH! IM OFFENDED!"

Really? LOL. Nobody cares.....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

FFS.

This country needs to reinstitute the Draft asap....

Everyone is such a pussy anymore.

"WAHHH! IM OFFENDED!"

Really? LOL. Nobody cares.....

"Nobody cares"? YOU obviously cared enough to comment.  

BTW

If my thinking people are idiots for wearing tee shirts with curse words or offensive remarks on them brings you full circle to thinking "This country needs to reinstitute the draft. Everyone is such a pussy anymore (sic)"... Maybe you're the one with issues?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I can still see little Billy refusing to put his ass up, especially when he had no problem pegging me when it was my turn. 

You should find another word for 'pegging'. Google pegging and ass,  just make sure there's no children around.

• Upvote 1

On 6/10/2019 at 1:00 AM, 14 in Green said:

It's not a funny shirt.

I happen to agree with what you said about people and religion. I also think that anyone who'd buy and wear that shirt is an idiot looking for attention by trying to offend people.

You want to condone idiocy, that's your business. Just wear that shirt among a group of intelligent people the next time you want them to know you aren't.

The man who would wear that is the one "sensitive about needing a bigger pair".    #compensating

yeah because taking offense to a t-shirt that says 'god damn jets' on a jets message board is the epitome of intelligent...ok sparky.. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/10/2019 at 8:03 AM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I stopped caring about what other people think about me a long time ago, and Im a much happier person.  

This.....I read page 1 and 2, skipped a few pages and then totally got lost in the t-shirt conversation. I couldnt figure out for the life of me why Douglas wanted Todd McShay to wear a god damn t-shirt to work.

I literally had to read the pages backward to figure out what has everyone so riled up.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, k-met57 said:

yeah because taking offense to a t-shirt that says 'god damn jets' on a jets message board is the epitome of intelligent...ok sparky.. 

Yeah because taking offense to someone who thinks an adult wearing a shirt with curse words on it is not intelligent is the epitome of intelligent, sparky?

I don't remember saying I was offended, I did say it was a shirt that most people would think the person they saw wearing it was an idiot. You honestly don't think most people would think that if they saw you wear it sparky?

You think it's so cute, why not send your kid to school wearing one? Or wear one to work? Or maybe to a bbq or party with family? See how that ends up... ok sparky?

• Upvote 1