PFF ranks the Jets roster at 31

Bronxville Jets Fan

They also have New England at 1, Buffalo at 29 and Miami at 30.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/27013169/ranking-2019-rosters-all-32-nfl-teams#nyj

31. New York Jets

Biggest strength: Led by Jamal Adams, the Jets have a young and talented safety group. The former No. 6 overall pick lived up to his potential in his second season last year, earning an overall grade of 89.7 and ranking third among safeties who had at least 250 total snaps. Marcus Maye, who was also drafted in 2017, earned an overall grade of 81.7 in an injury-shortened year, ranking 11th among qualifying safeties. In addition to being good in coverage, both are also great against the run, with Maye ranking 10th in run-defense grade (80.0) at the position and Adams ranking 17th at 77.1.

Biggest weakness: The Jets struggled mightily in run-blocking last season, finishing with the 30th-ranked grade (49.8) in the NFL. Among qualifying offensive linemen, the Jets didn't have a single one rank in the top 100 in run-blocking grade. Right guard Brian Winters was the best run-blocking lineman on the team, and his 59.0 grade ranked 102nd. Luckily for the Jets, Le'Veon Bellis pretty good at turning nothing into something.

X factor for 2019: Sam Darnold showed his sky-high potential late in his rookie season, as his overall grade of 87.7 over the last four weeks ranked first among all qualifying quarterbacks. In those final four games, Darnold was unstoppable when given a clean pocket, completing 65 of 88 such attempts for 758 yards, five touchdowns, no interceptions and a passer rating of 118.5. And he did that against some pretty good defenses, including the Bills and Texans. If Darnold can bring that momentum into the start of 2019, the Jets can contend sooner rather than later.

2019 Jets

OFFENSE DEFENSE
QB Sam Darnold 
(64.7)
DE Leonard Williams 
(78.2)
RB Le'Veon Bell 
(71.0*)
DT Quinnen Williams 
(96.0**)
RB Elijah McGuire 
(56.2)
DT/DE Henry Anderson 
(76.5)
TE Chris Herndon 
(74.1)
DE/OLB Jachai Polite 
(90.3**)
WR Robby Anderson 
(68.3)
OLB/ILB Avery Williamson 
(74.3)
WR Quincy Enunwa 
(68)
ILB C.J. Mosley 
(70.1)
WR Jamison Crowder 
(60.9)
OLB Blake Cashman 
(90.1**)
LT Kelvin Beachum 
(65.9)
CB Trumaine Johnson 
(79.4)
LG Kelechi Osemele 
(53.7)
CB Brian Poole 
(61.7)
C Jonotthan Harrison 
(54.1)
CB Blessuan Austin 
(69.8**)
RG Brian Winters 
(62.6)
FS Marcus Maye 
(81)
RT Brandon Shell 
(62.7)
SS Jamal Adams 
(89.7)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PFF is dumb, like really dumb.  That said, if we were to act as if there was any legitimacy to this article I feel like they're not factoring in the guys they picked up this offseason.  Mosley, Bell, Crowder and Osemele are typically PFF darlings.  You'd think they would bump up the overall rating. 

Edit: I see them now in that little matrix thingy, they didnt score so high last year

There is no reason that they should discriminate against the Jets.  The grades speak for themselves.  There are some players with terrible grades.  

I think they play more like 20-28!  Some players will bounce back/play better. 

57 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

They also have New England at 1, Buffalo at 29 and Miami at 30.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/27013169/ranking-2019-rosters-all-32-nfl-teams#nyj

31. New York Jets

Biggest strength: Led by Jamal Adams, the Jets have a young and talented safety group. The former No. 6 overall pick lived up to his potential in his second season last year, earning an overall grade of 89.7 and ranking third among safeties who had at least 250 total snaps. Marcus Maye, who was also drafted in 2017, earned an overall grade of 81.7 in an injury-shortened year, ranking 11th among qualifying safeties. In addition to being good in coverage, both are also great against the run, with Maye ranking 10th in run-defense grade (80.0) at the position and Adams ranking 17th at 77.1.

Biggest weakness: The Jets struggled mightily in run-blocking last season, finishing with the 30th-ranked grade (49.8) in the NFL. Among qualifying offensive linemen, the Jets didn't have a single one rank in the top 100 in run-blocking grade. Right guard Brian Winters was the best run-blocking lineman on the team, and his 59.0 grade ranked 102nd. Luckily for the Jets, Le'Veon Bellis pretty good at turning nothing into something.

X factor for 2019: Sam Darnold showed his sky-high potential late in his rookie season, as his overall grade of 87.7 over the last four weeks ranked first among all qualifying quarterbacks. In those final four games, Darnold was unstoppable when given a clean pocket, completing 65 of 88 such attempts for 758 yards, five touchdowns, no interceptions and a passer rating of 118.5. And he did that against some pretty good defenses, including the Bills and Texans. If Darnold can bring that momentum into the start of 2019, the Jets can contend sooner rather than later.

2019 Jets

OFFENSE DEFENSE
QB Sam Darnold 
(64.7)
DE Leonard Williams 
(78.2)
RB Le'Veon Bell 
(71.0*)
DT Quinnen Williams 
(96.0**)
RB Elijah McGuire 
(56.2)
DT/DE Henry Anderson 
(76.5)
TE Chris Herndon 
(74.1)
DE/OLB Jachai Polite 
(90.3**)
WR Robby Anderson 
(68.3)
OLB/ILB Avery Williamson 
(74.3)
WR Quincy Enunwa 
(68)
ILB C.J. Mosley 
(70.1)
WR Jamison Crowder 
(60.9)
OLB Blake Cashman 
(90.1**)
LT Kelvin Beachum 
(65.9)
CB Trumaine Johnson 
(79.4)
LG Kelechi Osemele 
(53.7)
CB Brian Poole 
(61.7)
C Jonotthan Harrison 
(54.1)
CB Blessuan Austin 
(69.8**)
RG Brian Winters 
(62.6)
FS Marcus Maye 
(81)
RT Brandon Shell 
(62.7)
SS Jamal Adams 
(89.7)

Austin, Cashman, Mcguire, and Polite are not going to crack into the opening day starter group... But seeing how they did this with so many rookies infused into their matrix it is easy to see why the Jets would finish last... 

The concept is flawed how they implemented their 'facts' of PFF point grades... you cannot have college point grades count on an NFL roster... that is inherently flawed from the get go, also they should use an average of the last 3 years they played... not just the last one... If they didn't play for three years yet you use league average rating for each year they didn't play... this would give you a result closer to actual roster strength

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Austin, Cashman, Mcguire, and Polite are not going to crack into the opening day starter group... But seeing how they did this with so many rookies infused into their matrix it is easy to see why the Jets would finish last... 

The concept is flawed how they implemented their 'facts' of PFF point grades... you cannot have college point grades count on an NFL roster... that is inherently flawed from the get go, also they should use an average of the last 3 years they played... not just the last one... If they didn't play for three years yet you use league average rating for each year they didn't play... this would give you a result closer to actual roster strength

Football is a game that isn’t built for analytics. The sample size simply isn’t there and players performance varies tremendously year to year due to health and injury.

Wait until S&P+ comes out for NFL and all the twenty two year old bloggers start citing it like the Bible. 

33 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Even if you don't think PFF's numbers are legit, this evaluation does match up pretty well with my eyeball test from last season.  Sad but true, f**k Mac.   

just adding bell and mosley should improve it though.  you're adding a top player to each unit.

32 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Good catch, I just fixed that.  Miami is actually 30th, Zona is 32nd -- so, yeah, we have the worst roster in the AFC East!

If you believe that PFF is the gospel, and not just a very flawed tool, put your mortgage on the under.

If you have really bad coaches, and/or a really bad roster, PFF is going to kill you. I assure you if you had a PFF in 96/97, the beginning of 97 would have had the PFF roster as by far worst in the league. Parcells brought in a few guys, and should have made the playoffs.

PFF is not good at isolating dependence and independence, like, at all. So if we had the same coaching staff, I would say its relatively accurate.

However, coaching does matter, like, a lot, and its almost impossible to isolate coaching impact vs. player impact. 

17 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

If you have really bad coaches, and/or a really bad roster, PFF is going to kill you. I assure you if you had a PFF in 96/97, the beginning of 97 would have had the PFF roster as by far worst in the league. Parcells brought in a few guys, and should have made the playoffs.

PFF is not good at isolating dependence and independence, like, at all. So if we had the same coaching staff, I would say its relatively accurate.

However, coaching does matter, like, a lot, and its almost impossible to isolate coaching impact vs. player impact. 

Stop it

The coaching wasn’t great, but let’s not act like these players are any good. 

The coaching and the roster can both suck. 

The Jets were the third worst team in the NFL in 2018.  I can't particularly blame PFF for not completely changing their view of the team based primarily on an extraordinarily expensive ILB and a RB that hasn't played in a year and a half.  After all, every other bottom of the league team is making plenty of their own roster moves as well that, before anyone steps on the field, are all viewed as upgrades as well.

Don't get me wrong, do I think the Jets will do much better than #31 this year when all is said and done?  Absolutely.  But on the other hand, you can't blame anyone taking a league-wide perspective for not giving the Jets the benefit of the doubt more than other teams.  The overwhelming majority of the reason for Jets optimism is related to changes to the coaching staff and front office (neither of which are factored in here) and improvement of the Jets' young players, which PFF isn't going to make assumptions on, but did still make the point of acknowledging as much with Darnold.

You don't have to particularly like it, but they don't exactly have anything out for the Jets either.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

(I’m guessing Miami is 32 not 31)

I haven’t had a chance to look at it yet but there’s no way in hell the Jets are that low. 

Bell at 71? GTFO

Agreed Mick. I would have thought in the mid 20's at worst , and that's conservative.

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Jets were the third worst team in the NFL in 2018.  I can't particularly blame PFF for not completely changing their view of the team based primarily on an extraordinarily expensive ILB and a RB that hasn't played in a year and a half.  After all, every other bottom of the league team is making plenty of their own roster moves as well that, before anyone steps on the field, are all viewed as upgrades as well.

Don't get me wrong, do I think the Jets will do much better than #31 this year when all is said and done?  Absolutely.  But on the other hand, you can't blame anyone taking a league-wide perspective from giving the Jets the benefit of the doubt more than other teams.  The overwhelming majority of the reason for Jets optimism is related to changes to the coaching staff and front office (neither of which are factored in here) and improvement of the Jets' young players, which PFF isn't going to make assumptions on, but did still make the point of acknowledging as much with Darnold.

You don't have to particularly like it, but they don't exactly have anything out for the Jets either.

Last place in the AFCe three years running. No reason to expect the national media to get on any bandwagons here. 

43 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I care more where they rank at the End of the season... not a month before training camp even begins.

Exactly. This ranking means nothing to me - but I’d rather they underrate them than overrate. 

Archived