Tedy Bruschi suffered another stroke

20 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

He had a TIA.  TIAs have similar symptoms and can be caused by a clot, but unlike strokes the clot clears in a TIA prior to detection.  TIAs normally do not cause permanent brain damage. I wish Teddy the best.

Truth

Increased risk of a real/permanent stroke.  Wish him well.

• Upvote 1

I  really like him!  So sorry to hear this right after a young player losing his arm and so on

At the end of the day we have all these plans but in Truth as my father always has said "we are all just passing through, so we need to make ourselves as helpful and loving as we possibly can along the way"....

• Upvote 3

Here’s an unpopular opinion: if you’ve played in the NFL post-1980 and you spent more than ten years in the league cashing those checks, you have no right to bitch about what happens to your body. It’s like working in a coal mine. You knew the risks, but you opted to do the job to pay your bills. Bruschi has holes drilled into his skull and still came back to play for the cheating-ass Patriots, whom he slurps to this very day. F*ck that guy. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Here’s an unpopular opinion: if you’ve played in the NFL post-1980 and you spent more than ten years in the league cashing those checks, you have no right to bitch about what happens to your body. It’s like working in a coal mine. You knew the risks, but you opted to do the job to pay your bills. Bruschi has holes drilled into his skull and still came back to play for the cheating-ass Patriots, whom he slurps to this very day. F*ck that guy. 

Not gonna lie, i didn't have the stones to post it but i agree. It's not like it was years ago were the players had little idea what the risk was. TBH, i have more sympathy for coal miners than for football players. (Especially Tedy Bruschi)

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dude... 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dude, I work in a blue collar industry and everyone who spends more than ten minutes in any of these jobs ends up with bad backs, limps, alcoholism and bankruptcy. If you want to do a performative "Poor Bruschi!" and then order up a Sam Darnold jersey while sending in your PSL deposit, be my guest, but let's keep it real. These dudes trade their health for millions of dollars while the dude re-shingling your roof in July or laying the asphalt on your driveway is suffering the same pains and will die penniless at 54. I feel as bad for the roofer as I do for the linebacker, except I acknowledge the linebacker retired at 35 with a mansion and three Ferraris.

"Any contractor working on that Death Star knew the risk involved; if they got killed, it's their own fault. A roofer listens to his heart, not his wallet."

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dude, I work in a blue collar industry and everyone who spends more than ten minutes in any of these jobs ends up with bad backs, limps, alcoholism and bankruptcy. If you want to do a performative "Poor Bruschi!" and then order up a Sam Darnold jersey while sending in your PSL deposit, be my guest, but let's keep it real. These dudes trade their health for millions of dollars while the dude re-shingling your roof in July or laying the asphalt on your driveway is suffering the same pains and will die penniless at 54. I feel as bad for the roofer as I do for the linebacker, except I acknowledge the linebacker retired at 35 with a mansion and three Ferraris.

WTF does any of this have to do with having compassion for someone who obviously has serious health issues that he's dealing with? 

Kind of missing the point here.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

"Any contractor working on that Death Star knew the risk involved; if they got killed, it's their own fault. A roofer listens to his heart, not his wallet."

The Death Star was sabotaged! This is a false analogy! 

20 minutes ago, slats said:

It seems like every day on here there’s another reason for me put my papers in already. 

Go for it, as long as you can financially afford to retire. I retired when I was 61 years old and have *never* regretted it for a single day. I could have worked until 66 and have had a sh*t load more $$$ but I didn't need the money and there is zero guarantee that you'll live another day.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

WTF does any of this have to do with having compassion for someone who obviously has serious health issues that he's dealing with? 

Kind of missing the point here.

You can and should totally have compassion for anyone going through medical difficulties.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

How is playing football related to strokes? I dont see the connection.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Respect for keeping it real. Unfortunately many don't get the pleasure of working these back breaking jobs and will most likely never understand. It's a cut-throat outlook, but definitely accurate.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Of course we want Bruschi to be ok. Anyone thinking otherwise is a miserable SOB. He has access to the best healthcare available in the USA so if there is a medical means to him beating this he should win. Back to what you said about the blue collar guys sacrificing health for a paycheck. It all starts for those folks when they are in their 20's and feel bullet proof  I have seen what you describe about how they wind up in bad health first hand. The body can only take it for so long. When things go bad these same people are often denied SSD because they dont meet some mythical threshold of what disabled means to some pencil pushing beaurocrat.  Even when they are lucky enough to win their case, the income is barely enough to to keep them hovering just above the poverty line and getting the 2nd tier medical care from medicaid. Like they say fair exists in the dictionary only.

Off topic but I wonder if the NYJ have offered Mark Gastineau any help in his battle with colon cancer?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

9305BE80-3224-484C-B0AC-936980E18EFF.gif

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Heavyweight prizefighters complaining about CTE. 

Yeah a-hole, you made your living getting bashed in the noggin by other heavy weights. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Upon some reflection, it was douchey of me to conflate Bruschi’s medical issues with football players’ health issues in general. I have a sore IT band and have to do ass-strengthening exercises and it’s making me crabby. 

Dick. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Eh, you are going for a principled position I guess but it really doesnt cost you much to have compassion for middle aged dude who has had 2 serious brain events. Grow up. None of this sh*t matters when your health goes.

Also, still not understanding how you morph into the stereotypical long islander, rival hating agro meathead when the Pat's come up but I guess that is part of the enigma of T0m. 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Upon some reflection, it was douchey of me to conflate Bruschi’s medical issues with football players’ health issues in general. I have a sore IT band and have to do ass-strengthening exercises and it’s making me crabby. 

Backpedaling pussy^

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

I have always liked Teddy.  After the Oregon Ducks came out of nowhere and took his AZ Wildcat's Rose Bowl dreams... I felt a little guilty because Dick Tomey was such stand up guy as well.  Anyway, I was glad Teddy got on NE's squad and had a good career *although sadly curtailed early.)  Prayers go out to him and his family.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CTM said:

Also, still not understanding how you morph into the stereotypical long islander, rival hating agro meathead when the Pat's come up but I guess that is part of the enigma of T0m. 

It's my life's mission to make the world a better place. That entails showing mercy to marginalized communities, and it includes savagely murdering my enemies. Therein lies the dichotomy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1