Coaching Matters

Jetster

it's a nice symbiotic relationship.  without decent coaching even the best players don't perform well.  this is especially true in football where the play of one guy is dependent on the play of the guy next to him.  imo they'll have a plan for the cornerbacks and it's not unreasonable to think that johnson and they other guys will recover from their injuries in time for the season.

• Upvote 3

Coaching matters but a good coach needs to be strict with their players. If a player acts up on the patriots they are benched or cut quickly regardless of how talented they are. They benched their best corner during the superbowl...players seem to respond to loud and assertive coaches (the players loved rex) but being loud and liked does not translate to winning if you don't run a tight ship and keep players in line.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

But But I thought these players are professional and don’t need motivation ? right. Football is an ultimate team sport, it’s players and coaches all working together with one goal. Coaches instill a confidence in the players that goals are attainable and players feed off that.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Beyond Gase, who is the best thing to happen to the Jets in 40 years, his coaching staff is beyond great. 

Watch these videos to understand how great a shape we are in now and for the future. Especially the Williams and Bell ones.  Listen to what they say and how they say it.  It brought me to tears.

SAR I

In a similar fashion to when Boyer exhibited frustration concerning the departure of Myers and Roberts, he seemed to me to be unhappy with only one kicker being in camp.  I like Boyer as a coach and he has a hard edge to him that I feel fits in well with the new regime.  Similar to Joe Vitt, albeit less abrasive, Boyer doesn't seem to be able to, or is uninterested in hiding his real thoughts. When asked about why only one kicker was in camp, he said he wasn't the guy to ask about that. he seemed slightly frustrated with that. 

I don't see the benefit of not having a competition other than to get the one guy the most reps you can. I'm gathering Boyer would rather have another option to evaluate in camp from this interview. 

• Post of the Week 1

I know when I watch the D, it  is flying around and hitting hard. They look vastly different than when Bowles and crew were here. Its nice to see them motivated and giving max effort.

That is because of Gregg W. I'm glad he's here creating a legit defensive unit out of these guys. The sky is the limit save for the deficiencies in talent at a few spots.

• Upvote 3

Vitt made me think of of some hard boiled character in some Mafia movie. 

Coaching on this team will be worth two wins, on top of the roster improvements and Sam's development in year two. I think a lot of these year two and three guys - the few of them we have that were drafted, as well as the FA's - will all take a leap because they simply weren't learning anything under the old staff, and weren't being molded into functional units. Note that Boyer had the same guys (or less - few blue chippers) to field his special teams units, and yet they were good, while the same (or better) players performed like stoned high school players on the O and D.

Just now, nycdan said:

I'm optimistic too, but I remember the rush of excitement here when we got Chan Gailey so I'm going to take a beat and see how the first few weeks go.

it's such a refreshing change from bowles, his teams never scored on the first possession.  this team comes out fresh and prepared.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Looks like Gase has a plan with this offense & he understands this uptempo style both fits Sam + helps the Oline. It's hard enough to play defense in this league now but much tougher when your depth is tested by having to lineup quickly & do firedrills. 

Gregg Williams showed a little sumpin sumpin last night & the Falcons couldn't stop it. If I was a Falcon fan I would have been sweating bullets as Ryan took some hits you SHOULD NEVER take in a preseason game. His frustration came through loud & clear but they kept him out there playing against the Jets 2/3s, just crazy. 

How about some love for Frank Pollack our Oline coach. This is an important position & I love the way there seems to be a system being developed which tells me it can only get better over time. I can't believe almost the entire line last night was back ups, and like others have said, we have 2/3 guys that are as good or maybe better than Brian Winters. Personally I'm tired of seeing a Winters pushed into the backfield & getting our running plays blown up. I think Winters losing his job is a forgone conclusion under this new coaching staff. 

No matter what happen this season, we'll be seeing the maturation of a team & coaching staff that should be here for a good long time. There is vibe around this group that's very different. I believe these players believe in these coaches abilities, know they'll be put in the best position to succeed & the best players will play. There is REAL competition here & expectations are high. 

And at the top there's a new Sheriff in town in Joe Douglas scrutinizing everything. This organization has finally put the pieces together to be a contender in the near future. There is a huge attitude adjustment going on in Florham Park & it's a beautiful thing for us fans. 

Great post, I hope you are right

2 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

But But I thought these players are professional and don’t need motivation ? right. Football is an ultimate team sport, it’s players and coaches all working together with one goal. Coaches instill a confidence in the players that goals are attainable and players feed off that.

Thank you....

It is Simple

1. Owner, 2.GM, 3. HC (and Staff) and 4, QB

One of these is out of wack for long you can not win for long in the NFL, Period!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

People getting a little too pumped up about pre-season

No.

It's people not getting pumped enough about the events of February and March.  You have no idea how this franchise has turned around.  They'll be writing books about Christopher Johnson.  They'll be teaching sports management courses on this at Ohio State and using it as an example of bad reporting in broadcast journalism courses at Syracuse.

We just won the Super Bowl and you don't even realize it.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

So many examples in every sport points to how much coaching matters.   Look at Parcells' first year here after taking over a the worst Jets team ever. From 1-15 to 9-7 with almost the same roster..   Also look at the New York Islanders last year.  Lose Tavares, one of the best players in hockey, after the 2017-2018 season.  A season in which they didn't make the playoffs. Predicted to finish last in the division . They hire Trotz and in the 2018-2019 season they finish 2nd in the division make the playoffs win in the first round.  

Yes coaching makes a big big difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Understand its pre-season. What has me pumped is the interaction of the coaching staff including Gase with the players. Not just in practice but during the game. Coaching should never end on the practice field.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Looks like Gase has a plan with this offense & he understands this uptempo style both fits Sam + helps the Oline. It's hard enough to play defense in this league now but much tougher when your depth is tested by having to lineup quickly & do firedrills. 

Gregg Williams showed a little sumpin sumpin last night & the Falcons couldn't stop it. If I was a Falcon fan I would have been sweating bullets as Ryan took some hits you SHOULD NEVER take in a preseason game. His frustration came through loud & clear but they kept him out there playing against the Jets 2/3s, just crazy. How about some love for Frank Pollack our Oline coach. This is an important position & I love the way there seems to be a system being developed which tells me it can only get better over time. I can't believe almost the entire line last night was back ups, and like others have said, we have 2/3 guys that are as good or maybe better than Brian Winters. Personally I'm tired of seeing a Winters pushed into the backfield & getting our running plays blown up. I think Winters losing his job is a forgone conclusion under this new coaching staff. 

No matter what happen this season, we'll be seeing the maturation of a team & coaching staff that should be here for a good long time. There is vibe around this group that's very different. I believe these players believe in these coaches abilities, know they'll be put in the best position to succeed & the best players will play. There is REAL competition here & expectations are high. And at the top there's a new Sheriff in town in Joe Douglas scrutinizing everything. This organization has finally put the pieces together to be a contender in the near future. There is a huge attitude adjustment going on in Florham Park & it's a beautiful thing for us fans. 

agreed !.. COACHing  does matter   ?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I think we are just beginning to fully understand how utterly horrible our previous coaching staff was

Oh, I fully understood it for a long time.  Bowles was a total disaster.

He was so bad that the only good thing he ever did(hiring john morton), he fired after one year.

Incompetence at its finest.

• Sympathy 1

The irony is Gase ran the slowest offense in the league between plays  last season with the Dolphins. 

He did that for the opposite reason and different roster composition.  Especially poor QB play.  He tried to keep the clock moving when possible, and then generate big plays with guys like Stills and Wilson since long drives were unlikely.

We have a coach fellas...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's preseason. 

It's vanilla defenses not running any of their regular season packages, with backups and subs everywhere.  It's very nice we look good, and I hope it leads us into the regular season well, but how many times has NFL teams had great (or bad) preseasons then been the opposite in the regular season.  Preseasons is glorified practice.  It's good we're doing good in practice, but I'd agree with you, I'd like to see it in the regular before I get too :hype:.  Seems reasonable to wait till the performances are on an even playing field and court for something.  of course, we could look like sh*t so far, and no one would be happy with that, so looking good so far IS a good thing.

Also, does it seem like we're not running a Vanilla O in preseason so far?  Seems like we're already running much of our planned regular season scheme (up tempo, motions, etc.) now vs. Vanilla Defenses, which may also account for some of the positive things.  Gase doesn't seem to be holding back.

I, for one, am VERY excited to see how opening day looks.  How we perform on Offense with all our players playing (sans Herndon of course) vs. a Defense that really wants to stop us and will do the full-monty to do so.  THAT will be exciting if we still do well then.

• Upvote 2