Roster Update Sept 1 w Waiver Claims and PS

Sarge4Tide

TE and CB are not good.

TE is fine with brown, griffin and Wesco for 4 games. The real question is which one gets cut when Herndon comes back.

CB is more of a worry but also ok as they are clearly running a 4-3 base with safety heavy hybrid look. Clearly. lol
I’m actually excited to see what kind of crazy sh*t they roll out on both offense and defense.

I really am surprised they released cooper though.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Three most interesting things about the roster right now IMHO

1. 10 Offensive Linemen - without knowing the extent of Qvale's injury, it just doesn't make any sense to keep him on the roster.  Maybe he will be moved to IR and they are just using him as a place holder until everything shakes out and they find a free agent to sign
  2. 5 Wide Receivers Even assuming Montgomery can help some at WR, it seems like 1 too few WRs.  
  3. 9 Defensive Linemen / 7 Linebackers -  Phillips played OLB some vs Philly and looked pretty solid - he might be depth at OLB until Copeland returns.

Likely moves still to be made:

1. Qvale to IR
  2. Free Agent WR signed
  3. Defensive Lineman released
  4. Free Agent LB signed

Sarge....last week, when all the supposed Jet interest in Clowney came out, wasn't there another "hot" story around about some stud WR was  on the block that "would shock everyone?" Kind of just went away.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

TE is fine with brown, griffin and Wesco for 4 games. The real question is which one gets cut when Herndon comes back.

CB is more of a worry but also ok as they are clearly running a 4-3 base with safety heavy hybrid look. Clearly. lol
I’m actually excited to see what kind of crazy sh*t they roll out on both offense and defense.

Possibly resign him after week 1 so his contract becomes basically week to week. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Of that group I have a feeling someone will emerge as easily expendable by week 4

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Three most interesting things about the roster right now IMHO

1. 10 Offensive Linemen - without knowing the extent of Qvale's injury, it just doesn't make any sense to keep him on the roster.  Maybe he will be moved to IR and they are just using him as a place holder until everything shakes out and they find a free agent to sign
  2. 5 Wide Receivers -  Even assuming Montgomery can help some at WR, it seems like 1 too few WRs.  
  3. 9 Defensive Linemen / 7 Linebackers -  Phillips played OLB some vs Philly and looked pretty solid - he might be depth at OLB until Copeland returns.

Likely moves still to be made:

1. Qvale to IR
  2. Free Agent WR signed
  3. Defensive Lineman released
  4. Free Agent LB signed

-Qvale to IR will bring the O-line to 9, as you suggested

-I totally agree about the lack of WR depth and have been harping about the fact that they should not have released Burnett ad nauseum. But that's just me. 

-9 D-linemen, 7 lbs- could just be that they plan to run 4-3 base as was already mentioned by some. But yeah, Phillips played some edge and then when Copeland returns they may cut a D-lineman- Phillips or Shepherd. So it all makes sense in its own hybrid defense kinda way. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

-Qvale to IR will bring the O-line to 9, as you suggested

-I totally agree about the lack of WR depth and have been harping about the fact that they should not have released Burnett ad nauseum. But that's just me. 

-9 D-linemen, 7 lbs- could just be that they plan to run 4-3 base as was already mentioned by some. But yeah, Phillips played some edge and then when Copeland returns they may cut a D-lineman- Phillips or Shepherd. So it all makes sense in its own hybrid defense kinda way. 

I hate that they released Burnett, but unfortunately Gase seemed to handle him as a square peg in a round hole-  Burnett is a smallish X/Z receiver not a slot guy. Gase tried to force him into the slot spot and it just didnt work out. Under the right system I think Burnett will be a very successful NFL receiver. Also I read Gase's teams always have 5 or 6 receivers max, 5 more often. So it makes a position for Burnett really difficult. 

That said, only having 5 receivers always us to keep Kyle Phillips who could be active at times. He really flashed in the final preseason game.

• Upvote 1

Been looking all over for this thread. Somehow it being pinned made it harder for me. ? Still a rookie I guess. 

Copeland will help when he gets back but man, Gregg Williams has his worked cut for him for sure. I feel a bit better about the offense especially when Herndon gets back. We’re still 3 or so above average players away unfortunately. Darnold should be able to develop though. So that’ll be fun to watch. Can’t wait.

18 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Defensive Line  (9)  
    92 - Leonard Williams 6'5 300 USC (DE/DT)  
    96 - Henry Anderson 6'6" 300  Stanford (DE)  (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed) 
    95 - Quinnen Williams 6'3" 303 (DT) Alabama (2019 Draft Pick)  
    99 - Steve McLendon 6'3" 310 Troy (DT) (UNRESTRICTED FA - Re-Signed) 
    91 - Bronson Kaufusi 6'6" 275 BYU (DE/OLB?) 
    94 - Foley Fatukasi 6'4" 318 UCONN (DE/DT)     
    97 - Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315  Ft. Hays State (DE/DT)  
    98 - Kyle Phillips 6'4" 277  Tennessee (DE/OLB?)  (2019 UDFA)
    xx - John Franklin-Myers  6'4" 288  Stephen F Austin (Waiver Claim from Rams) (DE) (recent addition)

What did Nathan Shepherd ever do to make the cut?

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Been looking all over for this thread. Somehow it being pinned made it harder for me. ? Still a rookie I guess. 

Copeland will help when he gets back but man, Gregg Williams has his worked cut for him for sure. I feel a bit better about the offense especially when Herndon gets back. We’re still 3 or so above average players away unfortunately. Darnold should be able to develop though. So that’ll be fun to watch. Can’t wait.

G.Williams will have fun with the D-line though. He has a ton of talent and guys that can play multiple positions.

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

I thought Toth had potential as center of the future. I guess not. 

I thought Toth had some potential too but he looked god awful in pre-season. Completely overwhelmed and bad penalty after bad penalty. An easy cut.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

G.Williams will have fun with the D-line though. He has a ton of talent and guys that can play multiple positions.

I thought Toth had some potential too but he looked god awful in pre-season. Completely overwhelmed and bad penalty after bad penalty. An easy cut.  

Thanks I didn’t watch much after the starters went out  

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I still think we have a numbers problem with 9 guys on the defensive line and only 5 wide receivers.  Would really like to see that as 8 and 6.

Something I read a little while ago said that many teams like to have 2N+1 DL on the roster depending on their base set.  So a 4-3 team would want 9 DL where one is developmental and could be on the PS.  At the moment, we don't have a DL on the practice squad but we do have one more open slot.  So while I agree with you that we might be a little thin at WR on the 53-man roster, we do have 2 more on the PS not counting Holmes so they may plan to manage it that way.

• Upvote 1