I'll say what many are thinking ...

Dunnie

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

It will not be respectable. It will be an absolute embarrassment, the kind that leaves such a stink behind that it may shatter the locker room apart.

Well, I can hope for, but not expect respectability. If it's a sh*t show, then it will be just par for the course and a typical Jets performance. OTOH, if it's not an embarrassment, then maybe, just maybe, there could be some light at the end of the tunnel ... perhaps even a 3 win season! ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

...and afraid to admit.

Doing is best 'Late Career Chad Pennington' impersonation ... Luke Falk put on the best performance of any Jets QB this year ... Yes ... Including Darnold.

Darnold has immense potential .. but to date has only showcased this level of talent consistently in one single game ... The Detroit Opener .. last year. Yes he played well down the stretch last year. ... But call me crazy. .. I was not wowed.

Falk was poised, calm and threw darts with pin point accuracy.

I'm excited to see him this week. At least we may have found our ten year backup.

And yes can't wait to have Darnold back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Did you watch Falk at WSU?

I love the guy, watched virtually every game he played end of soph year and all of junior and senior year. 

He’s very smart, very accurate short to mid range but has a pretty weak arm and his pocket awareness seemed to disappear between his junior and senior years. 

He can manage an offense brilliantly but he’s not going beat anyone down the field and he’s going to take a ton of sacks. 

In my best Lloyd Bentsen voice:

I know Luke Falk.

I’ve SEEN Luke Falk. 

Luke Falk is no Sam Darnold. 

14 minutes ago, Joe Willie said:

Well, I can hope for, but not expect respectability. If it's a sh*t show, then it will be just par for the course and a typical Jets performance. OTOH, if it's not an embarrassment, then maybe, just maybe, there could be some light at the end of the tunnel ... perhaps even a 3 win season! ?

Belichick is going for the highest score by a team in a single game (72). This will be an unreal carpet bombing heretofore unseen in modern sport.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

...and afraid to admit.

Doing is best 'Late Career Chad Pennington' impersonation ... Luke Falk put on the best performance of any Jets QB this year ... Yes ... Including Darnold.

Darnold has immense potential .. but to date has only showcased this level of talent consistently in one single game ... The Detroit Opener .. last year. Yes he played well down the stretch last year. ... But call me crazy. .. I was not wowed.

I'm excited to see him this week. At least we may have found our ten year backup.

Why do you feel we are all chomping at the bit to see what BB does to Falk? I mean are you that out of touch with reality thinking that this guy is nothing more than  a practice squad player that did nothing more than complete a few passes in a real game? How long have you been watching. Hey, did you notice Anderson was open in the EZ and your hero threw the ball out of the back of the EZ when there was no pressure on him? This is who you want to watch? Let me tell you what is going to happen this Sunday. Falk will be sacked a minimum  of 5 probably  closer to 10 times. The Pat's are going to put us in an early hole because our O can't  score and Falk is going to have to pass. The Pat's D will then put a serious rush on  him since nobody on the Jets OL pass blocks giving him little time to pass and since none of WR except Crowder is anything to fear in the short game, the Pat's secondary doesn't  have a lot to worry about. 

So go ahead, hope you enjoy this humiliation  we are about to endure. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Danold has not been good.  We know that.        Lets see how he does the rest of the season.

Oh look, some is saying Darnold hasn't been good because he has to play behind an OL that is the biggest freaking joke I have seen in all my years of watching this team. Adding Dave Cadigan and Jeff Crisswell to this line would be major upgrades. Hell, I would even consider playing  Vlad at this point. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Did you watch Falk at WSU?

I love the guy, watched virtually every game he played end of soph year and all of junior and senior year. 

He’s very smart, very accurate short to mid range but has a pretty weak arm and his pocket awareness seemed to disappear between his junior and senior years. 

He can manage an offense brilliantly but he’s not going beat anyone down the field and he’s going to take a ton of sacks. 

In my best Lloyd Bentsen voice:

I know Luke Falk.

I’ve SEEN Luke Falk. 

Luke Falk is no Sam Darnold. 

I’m by no means saying dump Darnold but transitioning from college to pro as a QB is a process. Good players will progress and get better. Others will fall off and disappear. Can’t write the guy off. Got to give him a shot. I don’t expect him in his 1st NFL start to light it up against a SB team but if he does OK I’m fine with that. Gase better figure out a way to protect the Jet QB’s of we’ll be needing a few more before the season ends. How about a 2 back set or 2 TE set or both to help with the blocking. 

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I think some people are misreading my post. ... There was no comparison of Falk to Darnold ... It was an observation of both for different positions.

Ok, here we go. Now we have the I realize I said something as dumb as ? and I'm going into spin made post. 

Here is the opening paragraph  of your OP

Doing is best 'Late Career Chad Pennington' impersonation ... Luke Falk put on the best performance of any Jets QB this year ... Yes ... Including Darnold

So tell me that wasn't  comparing the two. I mean you actually said he was better than Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

As I've said previously, a sh*t show is expected, but not hoped for. We have more problems than just at the QB position, and that's not even a certainty since Darnold is mostly an unknown and unproven quantity. No OL, no secondary, no pass rush, crappy special teams, and a kicking game that's dubious, at best (1 FG does not a kicker make). So, all that being said, what's the answer? First and foremost, get rid of Gase now, because he doesn't have a clue. He didn't in Miami and he doesn't here. Second, hire McCarthy or a HC of equivalent stature who'll take no more bs (Parcells was famous for that). Third, cherry pick the current players on the team who can perform and have a professional attitude. Trade or release the others. Begin to foster a culture of winning. It's not gonna happen overnight or even over the next 3 seasons. But, it could happen at some point IF there's a game plan ... you know, the kind of thing that the HC and his underlings is supposed to prepare each week, but has failed to do here. It's not even "rebuilding" in the classical sense because there's really nothing from which to build right now. It would have to be an outright teardown, and do over. Raze the entire organization ... oh, and sell the team to ownership that CARES (unlikely, but I can dream, can't I?). I don't know whether I'll live long enough to see it all through, but that's what I think needs to be done.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Falk was on the practice squad 2 days before he suited up. Then got thrown into an NFL game for the first time. He looked better than Siemian who looked lost out there and Trevor been practicing with the team since he got here. Give the kid a few more games. And it will be a trail by fire with NE, Cowboys and Eagles coming up. If Falk even does marginally well with these next few games he’s someone that deserves a serious look into the Jets future.

You can blame the offensive genius Adam Gase for giving Siemian a game plan that got him crippled. The guy was under duress every time he dropped back. He also was playing with Kalil who was once again so bad, he got benched in the second Qrt. 

• Upvote 1

I was probably the first one on this board to question Darnold last season. I never said he was a bust, I just couldn't understand the blind faith and adulation he was getting as opposed to the way he was playing. All I ever did was question why so many were proclaiming him not only a certain FQB, but someone who was the best young QB since Luck or Manning, and the certainty that he would take us to multiple Super Bowls.

I have about 500 butt fumbles to prove it. I've been called a troll, senile, a vagiants fan, told to go on Browns boards because I said Mayfield was having a better rookie year. When I said this offseason that I didn't see much difference between what Darnold and Josh Allen, or that I thought Lamar Jackson might flourish in a Ravens offense built around him, I was bombarded again, and I was asked by two posters I respect to lay off from posting about Darnold. I listened.

Every time I was questioned, I replied I don't want Darnold to fail, I'm a Jets fan, I want him to do well.. All I wanted was to see him actually do what others kept saying he was sure to do (or have already done). I have to admit, I'm surprised how the Buffalo game and even the mono thing, have brought so many others who feel the same way out of the wood work.

Good luck to all you come latelys, but excuse me if I don't join you. I was the lone voice for too long, and I have no interest in arguing the point any further with those who refuse to be the least bit critical. It will always be the fault of the coach, no weapons, the OL or an injury, it's never the QB. It's a battle you can't win...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Joe Willie said:

Given the circumstances in which he was pressed into service, Falk did fine (QB rating of 99.7% , 20/25, 198 yds. passing), so all we can do is hope. I don't expect a win against NE,  but would like to see a respectable performance from him.

It's a pretty stat line, mostly in garbage time (which was most of the game), and still failed to get the ball in the end zone. That's the QB's job. Not putting up pretty numbers, but putting numbers on the scoreboard. 

Luke Falk looked like he has potential to perhaps be a quality, longterm backup.

Half of his completions were little screens and swings to Bell out of the backfield.

His one big completion to Robby was severely underthrown.

People are nuts if they think he’s even remotely on Darnold’s level.

I’ve said for the last 3 years that Darnold is the best QB prospect since Luck and I stick by that. Look at the performance Mayfield posted against a depleted Jets defense while surrounded by the likes of OBJ, Landry, Njoku, Chubb and a far better OL than our own. It was bad. Take away the little 10 yard completion to Beckham which he proceeded to turn into an 89 yard TD and it was a straight up awful performance. Baker would look like hot doo-doo on this team.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Let's not forget that Dick Hammer's grandkid just turned 22 this summer. To this point he has started 24 college games and 14 NFL games.  To play at the level he did at the end of last year at his age with this amount of experience is otherworldly.  I just don't think many fans have a true appeciation for how gifted Darnold is in every aspect of what makes a QB great -- from arm talent to athleticisim to football smarts to leadership qualities all wrapped up in a poster boy for the nice guy athlete.

By the way, by the start of Andrew Luck's second NFL season he had just turned 25 and had started 38 college games and 16 NFL games. So, if you want to compare Luck to Darnold, you've got to wait until the 2020 or 2021 season.

The “level played at” the last quarter of last season was played to the tune of “Top Rated Passer in the NFL”.  Again, who was the last Jet QB to have a stretch like that?  (Albeit a small one).

He had the little run producing basically all by himself, making many plays when nothing was there, constant improvisation as play after play broke down behind this SAME putrid OL, at the same time his receivers rarely got ANY separation which required him to fit throws in the tightest windows imaginable.  He must have also been hamstrung by abominable coaching.  It really is incredible to have seen him make some of the plays he did and also get out of last season unscathed.

The potential is there and is outstanding and again the fact that he is still a baby at 22 and really hasn’t played QB all that long on all levels combined just makes an even stronger case regarding his potential.

Hopefully he keeps taking strides and has the support (coaching) to one day achieve consistent greatness based on his talents.

The full story has yet to be written and is just getting started.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'll say what everyone else is thinking.

Darnold played 1 game with Mono.  Not exactly surprising someone could potentially eclipse that performance.

Also, Falk absolutely was not throwing darts.  His arm strength was actually worse than I imagined.   Nor was he pin point accurate.  He showed good accuracy at times, but missed several throws.

Sometimes I wonder if I watch the same game as other people.

So, if not for the missed throws, he would have finished a perfect 25 for 25? 100 percent, thats Tom Brady-like! 

20 minutes ago, Joe Willie said:

As I've said previously, a sh*t show is expected, but not hoped for. We have more problems than just at the QB position. No OL, no secondary, no pass rush, crappy special teams, and a kicking game that's dubious, at best (1 FG does not a kicker make). So, all that being said, what's the answer? First and foremost, get rid of Gase now, because he doesn't have a clue. He didn't in Miami and he doesn't here. Second, hire McCarthy or a HC of equivalent stature who'll take no more bs (Parcells was famous for that). Third, cherry pick the current players on the team who can perform and have a professional attitude. Trade or release the others. Begin to foster a culture of winning. It's not gonna happen overnight or even over the next 3 seasons. But, it could happen at some point IF there's a game plan ... you know, the kind of thing that the HC and his underlings is supposed to prepare each week, but has failed to do here. It's not even "rebuilding" in the classical sense because there's really nothing from which to build right now. It would have to be an outright teardown, and do over. Raze the entire organization ... oh, and sell the team to ownership that CARES (unlikely, but I can dream, can't I?). I don't know whether I'll live long enough to see it all through, but that's what I think needs to be done.

I would give Gase until the bye to show he has a clue

If he doesn't,  elevate William's and either keep him as HC or look for a new one in the offseason. 

Not being able to recognize your OL is this bad and not game planning for it is criminal. I mean Bruce Coslett was smarter than this guy. He would stand on the side with a stop watch and if O'Broen didn't  pass the ball in a certain amount of time he stopped the play telling Ken you were just sacked.  Throw the ball quicker. 

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Danold has not been good.  We know that.        Lets see how he does the rest of the season.

If you think Darnold has not been good even though he posted the top QB rating in the league over the last several games, then you must hate Baker Mayfield who has looked awful over the first two weeks. Darnold was playing his first game with mono and had one TD and no picks. Mayfield seems less accurate than Josh Allen.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I would give Gase until the bye to show he has a clue

If he doesn't,  elevate William's and either keep him as HC or look for a new one in the offseason. 

Not being able to recognize your OL is this bad and not game planning for it is criminal. I mean Bruce Coslett was smarter than this guy. He would stand on the side with a stop watch and if O'Broen didn't  pass the ball in a certain amount of time he stopped the play telling Ken you were just sacked.  Throw the ball quicker. 

You're more generous than I. Nonetheless, I think it's obvious that Gase doesn't know what he's doing and is no offensive genius. Heck, even Mangini appears to have had more of a clue than Gase. I just think it's time to cut bait with this guy ... look how long it took us to do that with Bowles. Fool me twice ... If things continue as is, then Gase could make Kotite look like a winner.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

...and afraid to admit.

And totally lit up the scoreboard with 3 points. ?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Well I guess this is the appropriate time to insert this since he will be starting the next couple games. Quick release. Good accuracy. Yes it’s a highlight film and its college but shows his potential which is very good. 

Sam's college stats 2 years as a starter 3086 and 4143 yds passing 57 tds 22 picks 64.9% Luke played 5 games as a freshman but his last 3 years was 4561-4468-3593 119-39 68.3%

44 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, here we go. Now we have the I realize I said something as dumb as ? and I'm going into spin made post. 

Here is the opening paragraph  of your OP

Doing is best 'Late Career Chad Pennington' impersonation ... Luke Falk put on the best performance of any Jets QB this year ... Yes ... Including Darnold

So tell me that wasn't  comparing the two. I mean you actually said he was better than Darnold. 

I have to give you credit where its due. You're 100% spot on here. 

A poster can't start a thread like this, hang in for 15 minutes, then back track and disappear. If you're going to start it, hang in and fight for your opinion.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Well I guess this is the appropriate time to insert this since he will be starting the next couple games. Quick release. Good accuracy. Yes it’s a highlight film and its college but shows his potential which is very good. 

Looked good to me. Goes through his reads and delivers a catchable ball. Whether this "offensive" OL can give him a clean pocket and time to throw will determine if he/they can make the game respectable. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yet.... we as the Jets for 4 years in a row under McCagnon marched out  worn out veterans.  

And most of us didn't like it.

Most of us wanted younger, prospect-type players.  Not veteran fill-ins.  Even when we liked a certain fill-in to some degree, we still wanted young prospects at QB.

I loathe worn out old veteran fill-in QB's tbqh.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie said:

As I've said previously, a sh*t show is expected, but not hoped for. We have more problems than just at the QB position, and that's not even a certainty since Darnold is mostly an unknown and unproven quantity. No OL, no secondary, no pass rush, crappy special teams, and a kicking game that's dubious, at best (1 FG does not a kicker make). So, all that being said, what's the answer? First and foremost, get rid of Gase now, because he doesn't have a clue. He didn't in Miami and he doesn't here. Second, hire McCarthy or a HC of equivalent stature who'll take no more bs (Parcells was famous for that). Third, cherry pick the current players on the team who can perform and have a professional attitude. Trade or release the others. Begin to foster a culture of winning. It's not gonna happen overnight or even over the next 3 seasons. But, it could happen at some point IF there's a game plan ... you know, the kind of thing that the HC and his underlings is supposed to prepare each week, but has failed to do here. It's not even "rebuilding" in the classical sense because there's really nothing from which to build right now. It would have to be an outright teardown, and do over. Raze the entire organization ... oh, and sell the team to ownership that CARES (unlikely, but I can dream, can't I?). I don't know whether I'll live long enough to see it all through, but that's what I think needs to be done.

NO COACH, alive or dead, could make this talent bereft squad into a winning football team this year, and maybe not even next year. The crisis we have with this team is a result of incredibly poor drafting for about a decade. It will take more than a good QB and at least two years of competent roster building to fix. If we fired the coach mid season, tell me, what would be a result? Suddenly playoff bound would we be? Not a chance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Luke will need to use the force this weekend to beat the Darth Belichick. 

I think some people are misreading my post. ... There was no comparison of Falk to Darnold ... It was an observation of both for different positions.

Darnold as a starter
Falk as a backup

Clearly Darnold has incredible starter potential ... It just hasn't really blossomed yet. You know who else has incredible potential ... Jeff George. I want to see the 3rd overall pick dominate. Yes I know the line sucks. .. you know who else had a crappy line. ?? Andrew Luck .. yes he got injured out of the game. ... But when he played the talent was undeniable.

Darnold was the highest rated QB in the NFL the last quarter of the season last year.

Now, those rating aren’t everything but yo say he hasn’t begun to blossom or proved he’s not a legitimate starter is just fake news.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31
  • Upvote 2