No One's Saying Fire Gase Now; Competent HC/Regimes

JetsLife

And if anyone is that's crazy. But any objective analysis of Gase's recent NFL track record raise questions of his competency. And those questions are based on the one immutable: results. And they've been bad.

There were questions in Miami, questions when he was hired here, and questions so far this season. Why? Glaring bad results, and so far this season zero positive results. Let's throw out yesterday and Falk's brief tenure. I'm talking most of all about that 3 & out machine week 1 vs. Buffalo performance putting up 8 points at home. And that's while being gifted 4 turnovers in the first half - that's an almost unheard level of offensive ineptitude.

I hope over time and beginning when Darnold returns, questions surrounding Gase's competency start getting answered positively. But my hope is tempered with Gase's track record.

Here's another fact: in the salary cap, free agency area competent regimes and head coaches turn things around pretty fast. Maybe not completely in one season - but you see positives from the first whistle. You see teams playing smart, complimentary football keeping mistakes and big negative plays to a minimum. Squeezing the maximum out of their talent. It happened here with Parcells in '97, it happened recently in LA when McVay took over, it happens always when a competent regime and HC take over. Douglas had basically very limited options when he took over. Perhaps you could argue similarly with Gase as he was saddled with Maccagnan. But as HC-OC the offensive performance stops with him, and it's his responsibility to get the most out of it and their entire roster. Has he done that? At best he gets a grade of incomplete; at worst it's arguably a D or a F. 

We shall see what Gase's results are in the coming weeks and remainder of the season.

• Upvote 3

Its not crazy to think gase is awful and cutting bait sooner rather then later would be best for the team.  His track record as a hc is lousey and more of the same through 3 games here.

What you are missing is its a pointless conversation to have as he hired his friend Joe D.  This is basically a “no fire” clause for the next 3 to 4 years.

CJ bought what gase is selling hook line and sinker and gave him the keys to the kingdom.  Hes going nowhere unless this is an absolute sh!tshow 3-4 years down the road.

• Upvote 2

I was in the never hire gase camp-you dont hire a guy who is a proven loser and then expect him to be anything other than a loser-I would fire him at the end of the season but they wont-this team is kotite bad and they should do what they did after they fired him-bring in a proven winner

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Gase's professional resume to-date has shown me nothing that warrants further investment beyond our existing sunk cost.

He shouldn't have been our hire.  And I hope his tenure here is short, because he will never, ever win a title for the New York Jets (or anyone) as a Head Coach.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The same fanbase that was calling Eric Mangini, MANGENIUS, is now overreacting to 3 bad games where his QB had mono and then had a 3rd string QB. 

Typical clowns in this thread. 

typical clowns supporting a guy that is a proven loser-his record with the dolphins was  a losing one and his offenses bottom of the barrel and his team got worse on this watch

1 hour ago, JetsLife said:

And if anyone is that's crazy. But any objective analysis of Gase's recent NFL track record raise questions of his competency. And those questions are based on the one immutable: results. And they've been bad.

There were questions in Miami, questions when he was hired here, and questions so far this season. Why? Glaring bad results, and so far this season zero positive results. Let's throw out yesterday and Falk's brief tenure. I'm talking most of all about that 3 & out machine week 1 vs. Buffalo performance putting up 8 points at home. And that's while being gifted 4 turnovers in the first half - that's an almost unheard level of offensive ineptitude.

I hope over time and beginning when Darnold returns, questions surrounding Gase's competency start getting answered positively. But my hope is tempered with Gase's track record.

Here's another fact: in the salary cap, free agency area competent regimes and head coaches turn things around pretty fast. Maybe not completely in one season - but you see positives from the first whistle. You see teams playing smart, complimentary football keeping mistakes and big negative plays to a minimum. Squeezing the maximum out of their talent. It happened here with Parcells in '97, it happened recently in LA when McVay took over, it happens always when a competent regime and HC take over. Douglas had basically very limited options when he took over. Perhaps you could argue similarly with Gase as he was saddled with Maccagnan. But as HC-OC the offensive performance stops with him, and it's his responsibility to get the most out of it and their entire roster. Has he done that? At best he gets a grade of incomplete; at worst it's arguably a D or a F. 

We shall see what Gase's results are in the coming weeks and remainder of the season.

Have you read the board? that is what everyone is saying... 

57 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The same fanbase that was calling Eric Mangini, MANGENIUS, is now overreacting to 3 bad games where his QB had mono and then had a 3rd string QB. 

Typical clowns in this thread. 

Mangini was about the only coach we have had that deserved more time.  Rex and Bowles each had about two utterly wasted last years and we are going to have the same thing with Gase.  Two or three wasted years where he tears down the team and pleads for patience. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

I was in the never hire gase camp-you dont hire a guy who is a proven loser and then expect him to be anything other than a loser-I would fire him at the end of the season but they wont-this team is kotite bad and they should do what they did after they fired him-bring in a proven winner

Don't hire BB or Pete Carroll got it... 

Bad take... Just because they lost before doesn't determine future success... There have been many many HCs that fail the first time only to succeed later... Bad premise

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Bad take... Just because they lost before doesn't determine future success... There have been many many HCs that fail the first time only to succeed later... Bad premise

you really are comparing BB to Gase really? BB worked under parcells for a long time running a defense that won rings-what is Gases claim to fame that he was on a team that Peyton went to

18 minutes ago, kmnj said:

you really are comparing BB to Gase really? BB worked under parcells for a long time running a defense that won rings-what is Gases claim to fame that he was on a team that Peyton went to

I am saying they both had losing records and could be deemed losers as you say because they had terrible first tries at HC.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I liked Gase supported the hire but in pre-season and 3 weeks into the 2019 NFL season  he shown nothing of a decent HC. 

I was upset when they hired him. I was praying for McCarthy. Then I warmed up to the idea he would be good for Sam, but now I'm questioning that even more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Mangini was about the only coach we have had that deserved more time.  Rex and Bowles each had about two utterly wasted last years and we are going to have the same thing with Gase.  Two or three wasted years where he tears down the team and pleads for patience. 

Don't know how far you go back with this team, but firing Walt Michaels was the biggest mistake. And it's not even close.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Name the HCs that failed then immediately took another HC job (in the same division no less) and had success. You won't find any. It's never happened.

Big part you leave out is every first time coach that failed and then had some success went back to being coordinators before becoming a HC again. I read an article a few years back about successful HCs that had a bad first go and they all said it was important to go back to being a coordinator, seeing another HC operate after having that experience, reflecting on what they did wrong and refining their coaching. Also, they spoke about being able to form their staff as a coordinator and understanding  how key that is to a successful head coach which if you take another HC job immediately..you can't do.

1 hour ago, pfilippone said:

If the Jets fans could decide when to fire the head coach, we'd have a new head coach every week except in rare cases where we actually won a game. We've waited 50 years, what's another 3 years? All we are saying is give Gase and Douglas a chance. 

I understand the sentiment of feeling like Jets fans want to fire the coach after every week. I really do. I am typically someone who gives a coach at least a couple of seasons before I call for a new guy and I get frustrated with what I consider impatient fans. This is easily record time for me in calling for a coach to be fired.

I am telling you right now this guy is never going to win anything here. He is a weak, passive bitch face and accepts defeat when the situation is difficult. I don't want him anywhere near Darnold because he's going to turn him into a weak, passive bitch face too if he's allowed to mold him for too long. The Dolphins fired this guy because he's ass. The Dolphins!

BTW, as to your question of "what's another 3 years"? In three years a bunch of Jets fans will die never having seen their team win a ring. So there's that.

Todd Gase needs to go, and the sooner the better. I will add, that I acknowledge that it's entirely possible that I'm just turning into an impatient c you next tuesday as the years go by, but I feel like I've seen enough head coaches pass through this league to know a lemon when I see one.

2 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Im saying fire him now. We can t win games scoring 0 points..

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This fan base is the epitome of a knee-jerk reaction. It runs high on emotion and has little regard for actual analysis. That isn't to say I'm for or against a guy, just that 3 games into his first season isn't much of a sample. People will talk about Miami but they've sucked for some time now. I've read some people saying this mess is JD's fault since he's in charge now... How simple are some of these people... It's JD's task now to solve, but he didn't create this mess neither did Gase. Might as well give a doctor a new patient on their last breath then blame the doctor for not treating the patient you just sent them who died a moment later (as if they're playing hot potato).

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, jetsyrup said:

Name the HCs that failed then immediately took another HC job (in the same division no less) and had success. You won't find any. It's never happened.

Big part you leave out is every first time coach that failed and then had some success went back to being coordinators before becoming a HC again. I read an article a few years back about successful HCs that had a bad first go and they all said it was important to go back to being a coordinator, seeing another HC operate after having that experience, reflecting on what they did wrong and refining their coaching. Also, they spoke about being able to form their staff as a coordinator and understanding  how key that is to a successful head coach which if you take another HC job immediately..you can't do.

Maybe that's true... I haven't researched that.

But thats not what was said or what was talked about... He was saying that you don't hire a loser HC because they are born losers and will always lose... I was just providing 2 HC in the NFL right now that completely disprove his theory...

Then he elaborated, well they were under winning organizations as subordinates and so that counts as winning... Come on... That is not what he said.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Can't believe how many are ready to Pete Carroll him already after 3 games under the worst of circumstances.

People see what they want to see and forget/ignore the rest (like a Chinese buffet). Some of these revolutionaries calling for Gase's head in week 1 were probably still busy defending Bowles last year.

• Upvote 1

I think we will have our answer after the season, no doubt, because I have to see what he can do with Darnold first. The pre-season looked pretty damn good and no one will complain if we come out firing when we get people back. The offensive line has never looked worse and we all know you can't do anything without an offense line.

Besides that, anyone that predicted success this year always ended with "if we can stay healthy." So now that the prediction is coming true, people are bailing. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

This fan base is the epitome of a knee-jerk reaction. It runs high on emotion and has little regard for actual analysis. That isn't to say I'm for or against a guy, just that 3 games into his first season isn't much of a sample. People will talk about Miami but they've sucked for some time now. I've read some people saying this mess is JD's fault since he's in charge now... How simple are some of these people... It's JD's task now to solve, but he didn't create this mess neither did Gase. Might as well give a doctor a new patient on their last breath then blame the doctor for not treating the patient you just sent them who died a moment later (as if they're playing hot potato).

Exactly... I am not sure about Gase... But I am willing to give him a year for the moment.. let's see what he can do with a full squad... Win a few games that 'they aren't (suppose to) going to win' and then attitudes will change. 

What I want to see is Gase take down Eagles and Cowboys for real. They are overhyped right now and ripe for the slaughter. The Def plays well when the QB of the Def is on the field and if they can do to these teams what they did in the first half of Buffalo, they will win the game with a healthy Darnold. 

I just hate the guaranteed loses bit that is going around and the fact that these know-it-alls already have them winning at best 4 games... give me a break... Does the team look horrendous... some of the worst football they have seen... Yes... but we all knew that this is a very thin team... knock out 2 of your 3 best players on a thin team and you are probably going to lose. Gain them back, the team will be right back where it started the season.

• Upvote 1

I think if the offense sputters all season, even with a healthy Darnold and OL, then I think that plus his body of work with Miami will be more than enough to cut ties with him after one year.  This league is all about the QB, and if you can't get the best of of your QB, then you can't be a HC coach in the NFL.  

Maccrapnan should’ve been fired immediately after hiring Gase. If it wasn’t for Mac, Gase would’ve been out of this league. He’s garbage, so what does he do when the only man in the NFL hires him? He gets him fired. 

Seriously, I can’t decide what’s worse. From Bowles to Gase or from Izdik to Maccrapnan. 

The four biggest villains among the Jets fan base over the past thirty years are Parcells, Mangini, Idzik, and Gase, but guys like Herm, Rex, Tannenbaum, and Maccagnan generally get a pass. The reason why is simple: it’s because you’re morons who want to lose because you enjoy the chaos and the ensuing whining. You’re like people who live in trash neighborhoods who complain constantly about the crackheads on the corner, but when someone tries to open a Starbucks on that same corner, you lose your minds and start screaming about the evils of gentrification. The Jets organization needs an enema and guys like Parcells and Mangini and Gase and—yes—even Idzik saw this, they attempted to wipe clean the filth, and you people wept and cried and tweeted and RTed Manish and paid for billboards and planes to drive these guys out. It’s your fault you lose. And in losing, you’ve won. Because you’re losers. Shut up and let the smart people fix the problems for you. Note that these problems have existed for half a century and they’re going to take more than three games to clean up. It could take a while—GASP—!!!rebuild!!! to remedy. I know you’re upset that the Jets won’t win nine games in his first year like Rex did, nor will they win ten like Todd Bowles and Eric Mangini and Herm did in their first years, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles friends. You take over a bad team, you endure a few bad seasons, you try to put together some productive offseasons and ***then*** you have a chance to be good. You don’t get good because Supercoach Wonderman walks in and flips a switch. Gandalf ain’t coming through that door. So shut up and deal with it. Hope that Darnold gets better. Hope that Quinnen Williams isn’t a bust. Stop hoping for Gase to wave a magic ******* wand and turn Luke Falk into Tom Brady. That’s not how coaching works, you clowns. You losers. You frauds. Shut up.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The four biggest villains among the Jets fan base over the past thirty years are Parcells, Mangini, Idzik, and Gase, but guys like Herm, Rex, Tannenbaum, and Maccagnan generally get a pass. The reason why is simple: it’s because you’re morons who want to lose because you enjoy the chaos and the ensuing whining. You’re like people who live in trash neighborhoods who complain constantly about the crackheads on the corner, but when someone tries to open a Starbucks on that same corner, you lose your minds and start screaming about the evils of gentrification. The Jets organization needs an enema and guys like Parcells and Mangini and Gase and—yes—even Idzik saw this, they attempted to wipe clean the filth, and you people wept and cried and tweeted and RTed Manish and paid for billboards and planes to drive these guys out. It’s your fault you lose. And in losing, you’ve won. Because you’re losers. Shut up and let the smart people fix the problems for you. Note that these problems have existed for half a century and they’re going to take more than three games to clean up. It could take a while—GASP—!!!rebuild!!! to remedy. I know you’re upset that the Jets won’t win nine games in his first year like Rex did, nor will they win ten like Todd Bowles and Eric Mangini and Herm did in their first years, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles friends. You take over a bad team, you endure a few bad seasons, you try to put together some productive offseasons and ***then*** you have a chance to be good. You don’t get good because Supercoach Wonderman walks in and flips a switch. Gandalf ain’t coming through that door. So shut up and deal with it. Hope that Darnold gets better. Hope that Quinnen Williams isn’t a bust. Stop hoping for Gase to wave a magic ******* wand and turn Luke Falk into Tom Brady. That’s not how coaching works, you clowns. You losers. You frauds. Shut up.

Amazing you'd hitch your wagon to Idzik and Gase and in the same post call people who won't losers. I'd say completely delusional.