How long will it take to fix the Jets Oline

jeTMAC

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You have to get monumentally lucky to have two oline who re drafted in one year be really good, more often  than not you might get one.  You then have to get at least one FA and not an old past it dude.

Above all you have to make it a priority above all else.  I would have zero issue if we went oline in rounds 1,2 and 3 next year.

If you are unlucky it can take years to fix an oline.

The Jets should be looking everywhere to strengthen their offense line .    Right now they should be looking at other teams practice squad , and seeing what young offense lineman  they can sign that might be long term answer for their offense line.( concentrate on teams with the top offense lines) .

In Fa see what top offense lineman is out there( top ones rarely come free)  , and be prepared to pay some big cash to get the guy you want.( have to strike early and quick there) .   It’s very expensive in Fa , so it’s hard to see the Jets getting two fixes on the offense line.

In the draft , if a jets get a chance to draft a cornerstone Lt, they have to do it.  ( have to address Ot before Wr.    
Than you need young players like Edoga to develop.

38 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  You need to solve LT and C first.  

Perhaps they will have a high enough first round pick and trade back secure 2 first round picks to replicate the year they drafted Brick and Mangold. Add a Guard in free agency and they would at least have a line that does its job on most downs with Lewis at G and Edoga RT, if he continues to develop. The rookies, no matter how good, always have a learning curve, and lineman need time to gel. So even if it went really well it would still take a season for the line to become dominant. The colts are the model for quickly building a young dominant O line.

Honestly, the jets O line is so bad and its play so integral to Sams development and the teams success that I would not complain if the jets used every pick in the draft on O linemen. A decade of neglect requires drastic corrective measures.

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, phill1c said:

An offseason.

It really only takes two reasonably better OL to compensate for the rest.

Harrisson upgrades the C position

I'd like to see a whole new left side.

at least a season.  it kind of depends on who sticks around after this season and what kind of free agents there are.  it also depends on how established the team is.  they can churn the players a lot more is they have a system that works. 

the jets are looking at some pretty high draft picks and they can build it by going with drafted players too.  not likely because using a top 10 pick on an oline player besides a left tackle isn't so smart but there are guys like jason fabini and randy thomas to be found.  and maybe edoga can be an effective starter.

An offseason.
It really only takes two reasonably better OL to compensate for the rest.
Harrisson upgrades the C position
I'd like to see a whole new left side.
I'd add some depth and half a season with the pieces in place, but agree it's not a 3 year plan.

Just now, Jet Life said:

Edoga looked like crap yesterday but maybe he can play RT? And Lewis LG? Still need an LT, RG, and C. Harrison isnt that great..or Edoga. We are screwed 

Edoga isn’t ready

Kalil should have stayed retired

Gase is an empty suit playcaller

50 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah signing Kalil was a stroke of genius

It is a window into how dimly the coaching staff viewed Harrison. I'm not saying they were right about Harrison. It is hard to imagine that he would be worse than Kalil. But the signing of Kalil was a clear vote of no confidence in Harrison.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Edoga looked like crap yesterday but maybe he can play RT? And Lewis LG? Still need an LT, RG, and C. Harrison isnt that great..or Edoga. We are screwed 

Lewis is a free agent for 2020.  That is a big part of why the Ravens moved him. That and because he was always hurt and rehabbed away from the team. 

IMO, it's all about the coaching. That would be the ideal quick fix to get the OL back into gear. The norm that everyone seems to over emphasize is that the Jets are lacking in talent. Well, I'm not so sure.

If you take a team like the Patriots, for example, year in , year out , their drafting has not been of the top tier yet they seem to still be winning the division , making it to the playoffs , winning superbowls, etc, etc. and with what?

Lets look at their OL personnel:

Marcus Cannon - OT - Drafted RD5     

Korey Cunningham - OT - Drafted RD7

Marshall Newhouse - OT - Drafted RD5

James Ferentz - C -  Rookie free agent - Texans

Ted Karras - C -  Drafted RD6

Jermaine Eluemunor - G  - Drafted RD5

Shaq Mason - G - Drafted RD4

Joe Thuney - G - Drafted - RD3

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it doesn't require 1st, 2nd round picks to build a good line. Reason why is that Bill Bellicheck is taking a page  from Bill Parcells' Draft 101 guide book - don't reach for OL in the high rds.

The one factor of course is that Patriot management & scouts did their home work. But at the end of the day rounds 4-7 are still crap shoots.

With that said  the #1 on the Jets to-do list : FIRE the OL coach!!   Right now.  We know Gase isn't going  to be axed without first looking at the lower tier coaching staff.                                                                                                               

37 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Well JD tried to fix the C. We all know how that went.  

Which is why it is folly to believe that they have a good chance of fixing it in one season. If they are lucky, there are 2 rookies plus at least 1 free agent signee on next year's o line and it starts the year as below average and finishes the year as average. And that is IF they are lucky. 

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Only thing is there wasn’t a Quentin Nelson in last year’s draft.  Not even close. Colts got lucky the same year they trade down a generational Guard talent is there at 6 

the Jets passing on Q Nelson essentially a hall of fame gold jacket type for Darnold (plus 3 second round picks) is going to be this generations Obrien over Marino 

Yes the Line, especially with Beachum hurt, is awful, but if they wanted to rebuild the line they could have just sat at 6, taken Q Nelson, plus all the second rounders and rebuilt the line 

the logic at the time, which is still sound btw, is that QB is everything and a truly franchise QB makes those players around him better

Darnold can't beat cover 0 blitz he's throwing ints everywhere, in other words everyone complaining about the line needs to prove they don't own a Sam Darnold jersey first 

cause QB still is everything 

Tom Brady's line is missing its starting LT and C for the season. Marshall Newhouse isn't good either but they get it done. 

and i'm not saying Darnold has to be Brady and certainly dum dum Gase isn't helping but at least show us something dude. He has one good drive or whatever. It's not enough. 

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Which is why it is folly to believe that they have a good chance of fixing it in one season. If they are lucky, there are 2 rookies plus at least 1 free agent signee on next year's o line and it starts the year as below average and finishes the year as average. And that is IF they are lucky. 

I pretty much agree but even with the two rookies, I have a feeling one will be Thomas. Just getting him on the Jets will make an impact. 

51 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

IMO, it's all about the coaching. That would be the ideal quick fix to get the OL back into gear. The norm that everyone seems to over emphasize is that the Jets are lacking in talent. Well, I'm not so sure.

If you take a team like the Patriots, for example, year in , year out , their drafting has not been of the top tier yet they seem to still be winning the division , making it to the playoffs , winning superbowls, etc, etc. and with what?

Lets look at their OL personnel:

Marcus Cannon - OT - Drafted RD5     

Korey Cunningham - OT - Drafted RD7

Marshall Newhouse - OT - Drafted RD5

James Ferentz - C -  Rookie free agent - Texans

Ted Karras - C -  Drafted RD6

Jermaine Eluemunor - G  - Drafted RD5

Shaq Mason - G - Drafted RD4

Joe Thuney - G - Drafted - RD3

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it doesn't require 1st, 2nd round picks to build a good line. Reason why is that Bill Bellicheck is taking a page  from Bill Parcells' Draft 101 guide book - don't reach for OL in the high rds.

The one factor of course is that Patriot management & scouts did their home work. But at the end of the day rounds 4-7 are still crap shoots.

With that said  the #1 on the Jets to-do list : FIRE the OL coach!!   Right now.  We know Gase isn't going  to be axed without first looking at the lower tier coaching staff.                                                                                                               

To be fair, when TB was young they had a very talented O line group with all-pros. Now that TB is all world, he can look good without all-pros on his line, but make no mistake about it, the guys on his O line are good players. 

And more importantly, as evidence that it takes time and draft capital to build an O line, here is how the Pats spent draft capital on O linemen in the past 4 years:

2016 -  2nd and 6th round

2017 - 3rd and 6th round

2018 - 1st round

2019 - 3rd and 4th round

In that same time period, the Jets spend one draft pick on an O lineman. A 5th round pick (Shell) in 2016.

So, it takes time and draft capital to build a successful O line because you don't hit on every pick and it doesn't happen overnight. 

3 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

It's simple...

LT - Andrew Thomas or Austin Jackson in round 1

LG - Re-sign Alex Lewis

C - Tyler Biadasz in round 2

RG- Scherf in free agency

RT - Edoga or free agent signing

That will come at the expense of the other holes on this team but it is what it is.

Biadasz will go in the first round. I saw one site had him projected as the 2nd best OL in the draft.

I think there's a bigger question here and it's about a team's general draft/off-season strategy.

If I told you that JD had already decided to go all in this off-season on the OL while ignoring everything else, what would you think? If that meant the OL was fixed next year, but CB, WR, DE and just general depth would stay the same or worse, would you sign up for that? If their first 3 picks are OL guys, and they spend cap money on others, how would you feel?

I think a team can decide to focus on an area if they choose and fix it quickly... But at the cost of other areas on the team. Is that worth it? Or should a team be trying to raise the floor on many different areas at once? I don't know! 

“Fix” implies that it cannot be improved until all issues are resolved. Right now, it’s so bad that just not true. It can begin being improved in one off-season. There’s a time of room for improvement and it’s conceivable that 1-3 high value players can be added, while 1-3 lower tier replacements are brought in as well. If Callahan gets fired in Washington, I’d consider him for the OL gig too.

6 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

It's simple...

LT - Andrew Thomas or Austin Jackson in round 1

LG - Re-sign Alex Lewis

C - Tyler Biadasz in round 2

RG- Scherf in free agency

RT - Edoga or free agent signing

That will come at the expense of the other holes on this team but it is what it is.

Scherf wants way too much money. Douglas will never pay him. 

Just now, jetscrazey said:

Jets will have >80m in cap room.  Sometimes you gotta overpay for a culture change.  Scherff is the kind of guy who can turn a running game around and hold his own in the passing game. 

As to "culture", at some point you need to establish a culture of paying your own guys rather than someone else's. And it's never to soon to start that change. My bet is that rather than overpay Sherf, JD targets guys on the tier below Sherf.

• Sympathy 1