How long will it take to fix the Jets Oline

jeTMAC

I honestly thought they looked immediately better when Kalil hurt his knee in the second half and Harrison came in. 

We would also instantly improve protection by getting Sam out of empty backfields when our line can't handle a four man rush...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I think it could only take 1 season to turn this OL from league worst to league average. It depends on alot of things though like where we are picking in the draft and how many picks we ultimately have. Douglas can't do any worse than Macc has done so we got that going for us. I think a majority of our picks will be spent on the OL. 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I honestly thought they looked immediately better when Kalil hurt his knee in the second half and Harrison came in. 

We would also instantly improve protection by getting Sam out of empty backfields when our line can't handle a four man rush...

If this is Gase should be fired now.  It is his job to pick who plays from the roster.  

• Sympathy 1

The line looked serviceable as recently as 10 months ago..  injuries and whatever teaching methods this staff are using have made them look this bad.

1) get healthy

2) change whatever the f**k is going on that has them so confused

3) sign some players in March and draft some in April

This doesn't take multiple years.

• Upvote 2

You have to get monumentally lucky to have two oline who re drafted in one year be really good, more often  than not you might get one.  You then have to get at least one FA and not an old past it dude.

Above all you have to make it a priority above all else.  I would have zero issue if we went oline in rounds 1,2 and 3 next year.

If you are unlucky it can take years to fix an oline.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Pac said:

The line looked serviceable as recently as 10 months ago..  injuries and whatever teaching methods this staff are using have made them look this bad.

1) get healthy

And as usual you have 100% missed the target and hit the cow in the field behind the target.

Nowhere in your post did you say drafting them was a priority.

Are you mike mccagnan by any chance?

Get healthy?  wtf are you talking about?  Get your crappy players healthy.  We have not had a center worth spit since mangold retired.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I was hoping that Kahil's replacement with Harrison was a coaches decision and not due to an 'injury' because the dude has retired and is is just looking for a *big* retirement paycheck.  Harrison sucks *big time* although he appears to give full effort and I'll gladly play him instead of Kahil.

Rebuild the OL and give Sam a chance!!!!

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

1) get healthy

Excuse me??? This OL looked 'serviceable' ????? After six years of Idzak and Macc ignoring the OL during the draft and FA you think it looked 'serviceable '???

Sam was under pressure under two seconds with only four mediocre DL's rushing against our five OL's. 

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And as usual you have 100% missed the target and hit the cow in the field behind the target.

Nowhere in your post did you say drafting them was a priority.

Are you mike mccagnan by any chance?

Get healthy?  wtf are you talking about?  Get your crappy players healthy.  We have not had a center worth spit since mangold retired.

So the Jets have this player named Kelvin Beachum that plays a pretty important position on the O-line.  He's currently not healthy.  Him getting healthy would be good since when he was Darnold had a pretty good game against Dallas.

I reject pretty much every thing you say about the Jets since I find most of it biased, reactionary, defeatist, trash.

3 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Excuse me??? This OL looked 'serviceable' ????? After six years of Idzak and Macc ignoring the OL during the draft and FA you think it looked 'serviceable '???

Sam was under pressure under two seconds with only four mediocre DL's rushing against our five OL's. 

Yes.  Line was serviceable much of last year.  Nowhere near this bad.

• Upvote 3

They knew this line was horrendous following last season. Tbf there was an attempt. Osemele and Khalil were brought in to shore things up.  Osemele is gone and Khalil has been old, slow and inept.  Winters is fair when hes next to a solid center and tackle. Otherwise hes just a better than the rest of the jets line which means nothing because it's the worst in the league.   You could literally field a better line by poaching other practice squads. But again it's all macagnan. Firing him doesn't clean up his mess immediately.   Weve got two years minimum to be any good up front.  

• Upvote 2

So the Jets have this player named Kelvin Beachum that plays a pretty important position on the O-line.  He's currently not healthy.  Him getting healthy would be good since when he was Darnold had a pretty good game against Dallas.
I reject pretty much every thing you say about the Jets since I find most of it biased, reactionary, defeatist, trash.

Beachum is the best OL we have and he’s at best below average at his job compared to his peers.

Yes, getting him back would be big but stop pretending the Line looked even competent at full health. The 2nd best OL is Alex Lewis, who was brought in late in the offseason for peanuts.
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

At least 2 seasons if they are lucky

Darnold will be looking to GTFO out of the Northeast as fast as possible too, even if they’re lucky enough to fix it by that time.

Worst part is you can’t even adequately evaluate him now.  He has shown flashes of greatness, has shown he can make every throw.  Has shown great pocket presence at times.  But at this point with maybe the worst OL in Jet history in front of him, Spider-Man couldn’t get out of the jams he’s in almost every play.

His play is definitely regressing which is tragic.

For those saying he “sucks” now, that final quarter of last season being rated as the Top Passer in the NFL might be a small sample size, but it IS something, and that something is that it is at least a slight bit of evidence that he is very talented and with at least average NFL players around him and the right coaching his trajectory should keep trending up, but sadly it’s apparent that is not the case right now, and if they keep playing him with this crew of soon to be Walmart stockboys he IS going to get physically hurt.  His psyche that seemed very strong seems to be trending down now too.

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Pac said:

Yes.  Line was serviceable much of last year.  Nowhere near this bad.

The line was wretched last year.  Put the C who couldn’t snap that was played 9 consecutive weeks by Bowles (to protect his own job..always play the Vet), and if not for Darnold’s athleticism you would have had a Luke Falk situation on almost every play.

Notice how after Indy fired their GM and hired one who for luckily is one of the best in the league Ballard and poured assets into their OL, it now seems they don’t even miss Andrew Luck all that much.  Isn’t that amazing?

The problem is it’s not something you can easily fix with rookies.  We will likely need to replace at least three starting OL, and probably a complete overhaul of the backups as most players here aren’t ideal fits for a zone blocking scheme.

So you need three serviceable starting caliber vets in FA.  That’s very expensive, but can be done.  Then you draft a top OT, but it’s not easy to put him in, bc there is no continuity on the line.  So minimum a full offseason plus half a year to start developing chemistry for the starters. Injuries usually make it a nightmare as well, as you don’t have old timers in the system to keep everyone up to pace.

So really two full off seasons plus change before things are stabilized, but you haven’t even had much time to play your draft picks, so you put them in, and things take a turn for the worse for a little while as well as they get their sea legs.  So yea, you can see why it can take nearly three years before a full youth and talent infusion on the OL can occur.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The line was wretched last year.  Put the C who couldn’t snap that was played 9 consecutive weeks by Bowles (to protect his own job..always play the Vet), and if not for Darnold’s athleticism you would have had a Luke Falk situation on almost every play.

Notice how after Indy fired their GM and hired one who for luckily is one of the best in the league Ballard and poured assets into their OL, it now seems they don’t even miss Andrew Luck all that much.  Isn’t that amazing?

Only thing is there wasn’t a Quentin Nelson in last year’s draft.  Not even close. Colts got lucky the same year they trade down a generational Guard talent is there at 6 

• Upvote 1

1 year.

You trade your top five pick. Then Draft two linemen with your first two picks.

Sign the best two linemen in free agency - whatever to cost.

Let the defense fend for itself.

Had we done that last year. This would be a measurably better team.

but short a rotational, run stopping DL and a middle LB that has played 3 half’s of football (one well)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

• Upvote 2

It depends by what fix means. I’m assuming an at least average oline in both the run and pass with quality depth. For that, it’ll take two years if they’re lucky and make it a focal point.

Right now we have 1 starter and 2 depth guys (assuming Edoga becomes a quality swing tackle). My hope is we get an iOL in FA, draft a LT in the first and an iOL on day 2. Take another shot on an OL player on day 3. If we hit, we will still need one more quality offseason.