A defense of Adam Gase....

RonaldJet

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s wild: the constructive thing is to hope players come back from injury, Gase shows a little something, Darnold pulls it together with better protection, and you go into 2020 with a clear list of positional needs and a plan for free agency. Instead, we’ve got straight-up nihilists who just want to fire everybody in sight and then, somehow, hire some imaginary super-coach whom they absolutely cannot name, but they just *know* is out there waiting for Chris Johnson to call. 

Eric Mangini is waiting for that call.  My first call would be to Urban Meyer though.  And probably Jim Harbaugh 2nd.  And I'd reach out to the Ravens to see if they would be willing to trade John Harbaugh.  Same with the Eagles and Doug Pederson.  I'd even consider trading a 1st rounder (though probably not a top 5 this year but maybe a 1st next year).

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Eric Mangini is waiting for that call.  My first call would be to Urban Meyer though.  And probably Jim Harbaugh 2nd.  And I'd reach out to the Ravens to see if they would be willing to trade John Harbaugh.  Same with the Eagles and Doug Pederson.  I'd even consider trading a 1st rounder (though probably not a top 5 this year but maybe a 1st next year).

TT, do you think any of the people you listed are plausible hires here?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

TT, do you think any of the people you listed are plausible hires here?

Mangini yes.  The rest will be difficult but worth pursuing.  The Ravens offered up John Harbaugh last year but wanted draft picks.  It's worth it to check in to see if that offer is still on the table.  Urban Meyer will have way better options but if we offer him a Jon Gruden type contract, maybe he can be convinced?  Unlikely, but worth a shot.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

Great post.

Preach it.  Don't let the ignorant angry mob down your spirits or drive a good head coach away.  Injuries suck, bad drafts suck, neither is Adam Gase's fault.

The 10 "fire Gase" people you read in this forum and on Twitter and hear on the radio are idiots.

SAR I

Did you just call a good head coach? WTF are you smoking. Name me ONE good quality that he has that  makes him a good coach. It is not the JETS record this year on why he should fire, it is because he is not of part of the solution, he is part of the problem not just in the short term but the long term as well. Its one thing to be delusional regarding a opposing team situation, but when you are delusional about your OWN team then that is a really a problem.

Gase is single handling making the JETS into a laughing stock starting with his introductory press conference, and more importantly ruining the franchise from the inside-out. As a BILLS fan I personally hope you give Gase a lifetime contract so that will be one less team in our way going forward.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

Did I want Adam Gase as the HC? Not at all

Although.....

I was willing to give him a chance, and while he’s been dealt a tough hand with injuries and Darnold mono the non-competitive performances the team is putting forth on a weekly basis are completely unacceptable in the NFL. 

With that said.....

I hate the way the media and fanbase is pinning the entirety of this organization (owners) incompetencies on this one guy. “We are going to burn you at the stake because we are pissed off”

Gase had not done a good job and knows he’s probably getting fired. It’s time to realize he’s a husband, father, and is doing the best he can at his job (just like anyone else). Gase identified 3 months on the job the incompetences of Mike McCagnans personnel dept and within 8 games of his first season  he has experienced more vitriol from the media and fanbase than McCagnan had  in five years. 

It’s life in the big city my friend. If you are the CEO of a company and you happen to have underperforming people under you and your organization is bad they don’t fire everybody. Get my drift. And the CEO has a family etc. etc. etc.

GE sh*t the bed and they fired Imelt the CEO. It’s just the way it works.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Where is the list of players that were injured during the first 4 games that came back to bail us out in the subsequent 4 games?

Who cares? We lost spectacularly in all games. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's right, there aren't any.  Darnold?  He's not himself.  Probably going to find out that the mono hit him more than we know.

Let’s not make this out to be about mono. Gase can’t gameplan around a weak offensive line. You don’t need to be a genius to do it. Belichick does it every year. Quick, short passes. Been doing it for 2 decades. It’s not even a blueprint anymore. And you don’t need HoF QB to complete a pass at the LoS. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

"Fight back skills or signs".  There we go again, bored of the truth, trying to manufacture a story that is more exciting so that you don't have to repeat yourself every week.  Sorry.  Repeat after me:  "It's the injuries".

SAR I

There we go again, bored of the truth, trying to manufacture excuses for la k of fight in a dummy we call our HC. 

Goes both ways. When Gase loses, he loses big. 90% of the games he lost were by double digits. They weren’t close games. And he coached in the AFCE with Dolphins that played the sh*tty Jets n even worse Bills 4 times a year. Just admit it, Gase doesn’t know how to be a HC. Or OC in the NFL. Not unless he had Manning. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mangini yes.  The rest will be difficult but worth pursuing.  The Ravens offered up John Harbaugh last year but wanted draft picks.  It's worth it to check in to see if that offer is still on the table.  Urban Meyer will have way better options but if we offer him a Jon Gruden type contract, maybe he can be convinced?  Unlikely, but worth a shot.

What’s the next tier of guys who would actually take the job? 

18 hours ago, funaz said:

If people want to argue you can't judge Darnold because of his oline and lack of weapons. 

You can't in the next sentence argue that Gase should be judged because of the bad oline and poor wr performance

My argument for Darnold is be has no weapons or OL. My argument against Gase is this team looks worse with an easier SoS and more talent than Bowles.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Meyer wouldn’t be sh-t in the nfl

25 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

My argument for Darnold is be has no weapons or OL. My argument against Gase is this team looks worse with an easier SoS and more talent than Bowles.

Vic Fangio, who is not a good head coach, is winning games with Brandon f-cking Allen, but somehow Gase should get another 3 years to prove himself after losing to the tanking Dolphins

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe throw an extra two tackles out there and an extra center so you’ve got four tackle, two guards, and two centers, Darnold, Bell, and Jamison Crowder it’d be unstoppable 

We have basically the same OL we did last year when we started out 3-3.  Plus Bell and Crowder

But yeah it’s Rex’s fault our offense can’t  put up points against the friggin Dolphins

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes, when I thought that Herndon and Mosley were coming to the rescue.  And then they didn't come back.  And then more players got hurt.  And then our OL turned into a high school squad.

Meanwhile, no one is screaming about Gregg Williams.  It's fascinating.  We lost the Jaguars game and the Dolphins game because Jamal Adams is getting played like a turnstile and the blitz isn't working.  Gase has his hands full with the offense.  Williams is essentially the HC of the defense.  And no one says a word.

SAR I

Our OL didn't change very much from the Patriot game to the Jax/Miami games (where you said "the season starts now").  

OL vs Patriots 

image.png.9a21a75c915289ab681cdc617e155bf9.png

OL vs Jax

image.png.76bd604cfe44c5fb2405120b57855e4c.png

OL vs Miami

image.png.357d35d8c44635a14e0f3f3098990ec4.png

39 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We have basically the same OL we did last year when we started out 3-3.  Plus Bell and Crowder

But yeah it’s Rex’s fault our offense can’t  put up points against the friggin Dolphins

“It’s the same offensive line from the offense that finished 26th in passing and 25th in rushing!” is a weird argument to make, and even worse when it’s not even true(?)

• Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Our OL didn't change very much from the Patriot game to the Jax/Miami games (where you said "the season starts now").  

OL vs Patriots 

image.png.9a21a75c915289ab681cdc617e155bf9.png

OL vs Jax

image.png.76bd604cfe44c5fb2405120b57855e4c.png

OL vs Miami

image.png.357d35d8c44635a14e0f3f3098990ec4.png

I would be far more entertained if we combined Jonotthan Harrison and Brian Winters and he became Jonathan Winters. Maybe he could coach the o-line.

Image result for Jonathan winters football

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In today's NFL, it's very possible to go from 4-12 to 8-8 or 9-7.  The Jets had the #3 overall pick along with an extra 3rd rounder.  Plus we had over $100M to spend in FA.  That, and our schedule has its fair share of cupcakes on it.  This was a year that many on here had hopes for a playoff spot.

SAR I believed in this team so much that he posted that we would win the division this year.

Do you know how you go from 4-12 to 8-8 or 9-7?  Rebuilding.  I did not say tanking.  Apparently all you guys think you have to tank and that in any given season 3/4 of the teams are tanking.  That is bullsh*t, but we were/are rebuilding.   

1 is trolling you.  You didn't know that?

enough of these OC/DC coaches . you need a guy who can delegate tasks and motivate players. all that said at this point you have to give him this whole season to evaluate fully, but it ain’t looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, CurtMart said:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/what-are-realistic-expectations-for-the-jets-in-2019

“Jets should be in the conversation in December.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2019/09/03/new-york-jets-nfl-betting-odds/

“Projected win total: 7.5”

92%+ said Jets would win 7 or more games. 

Where is the rebuild? 2019 was NOT supposed to be a rebuild year. After the initial losses N injuries, we waived the white flag. But even then, we shown no fight back skills or signs. 

As I just told the other guy, tanking and rebuilding are not the same thing.  Were we trying for a playoff spot?  Sure, but that would have required several unlikely scenarios.  Darnold to take a big step up.  The Oline to work cohesively with a bounceback by Winters, Osemele and Kalil who had not seen the field since December. The newly installed defense to step up with Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts performing like starting corners.  These things did not happen. That should not be a surprise.  We needed all that change because we were rebuilding.

That a bunch of homers on a Jets website were optimistic should not surprise anybody.  Didn't all of those homers think "2020 will be our year"  ?  That is the indication that this team was not ready.  They certainly weren't putting the best team on the field. Didn't they fire the GM in May?  That is because they didn't like what he was building and realized that had to REbuild.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

Did I want Adam Gase as the HC? Not at all

Although.....

I was willing to give him a chance, and while he’s been dealt a tough hand with injuries and Darnold mono the non-competitive performances the team is putting forth on a weekly basis are completely unacceptable in the NFL. 

With that said.....

I hate the way the media and fanbase is pinning the entirety of this organization (owners) incompetencies on this one guy. “We are going to burn you at the stake because we are pissed off”

Gase had not done a good job and knows he’s probably getting fired. It’s time to realize he’s a husband, father, and is doing the best he can at his job (just like anyone else). Gase identified 3 months on the job the incompetences of Mike McCagnans personnel dept and within 8 games of his first season  he has experienced more vitriol from the media and fanbase than McCagnan had  in five years. 

Maybe because he’s an awful coach who is stubborn, akward and doesn’t seem to give a damn we have won one game this year. Guy shows zero leadership traits. Zero. Him being a dad has nothing to do with this 

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, CurtMart said:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/what-are-realistic-expectations-for-the-jets-in-2019

“Jets should be in the conversation in December.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2019/09/03/new-york-jets-nfl-betting-odds/

“Projected win total: 7.5”

92%+ said Jets would win 7 or more games. 

Where is the rebuild? 2019 was NOT supposed to be a rebuild year. After the initial losses N injuries, we waived the white flag. But even then, we shown no fight back skills or signs. 

Good post.

If the Jets think they have a franchise QB (like I do) then you don't "tank."  Tanking is because you need the #1 or #2 pick in a Draft with a couple of great QB prospects.  We already did that + traded up and got Darnold.   This team needs to show fight, it needs to show competitiveness....that's a direct reflection of the coach.  Miami is bad but they're playing hard.  They have been all year.

When a team already has a QB and needs lots of other help at a variety of positions there isn't a material difference in drafting 4th vs. 6th.  There will be players at both spots who can help your team and you can trade down from both spots to accumulate more.

You're right...this wasn't supposed to be a rebuild year.  It was supposed to be a build year.  A 6, 7, 8 win season that shows a good trajectory, proves the QB is good, and shows that the HC has a plan and program in place.  We haven't really seen any of that.  The Jets shouldn't be tanking.  They don't have to try....they're likely going to end up with a Top 5 pick no matter what.

• Upvote 1

Nothing to fear guys. Gase said in a NY Post article today that the team is getting better every day in practice, communicating better. They are working hard. They are really focusing on getting better every day.

I personally feel a lot better about the team now. Yeah right!!!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Probably for the same reason he only averaged 4.0 YPC for the 13-3 Steelers running behind three Pro Bowl offensive linemen

My mistake.  I didn’t even know that.

So the tread had finally started to come off the tires.....Maccagnan “time to make my move” hahaha.

Don’t know who is hands down the worst organization in pro sports...Jets or Knicks.

Would be cool if the Johnsons and Dolan stand on the same float during parades and wave to everyone haha.

4 hours ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Adam Gase SUX! He’s a thief, quitter, backstabber, and a professional excuse maker! All the horrible qualities he displayed in Miami and then some here with the Jets! This guy should be shown the door ASAP! He’s the biggest part of the problem, not the solution.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

All fair criticisms.

He should definitely be critiqued as to what positives he brings to the team.

Can anyone say that this guy could ever be confused with a “Leader”?  And if he can’t, can anyone actually see success with this team in the future? We’ll put all the other things aside, like his Offenses not scoring more than 1 TD a game running close to 20 games now.  Not doing whatever it takes to protect Darnold....just answer the Leadership question.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gase wanted Matt Paradis and Maccagnan refused to get him. That’s the extent of the “input” Gase had into that line. If you guys think there’s a magical offensive scheme that makes Chuma Edoga and Alex Lewis look like functional NFL offensive linemen, you’re out of your minds. We wondered why Edoga was taken off the draft boards of a bunch of teams and now we know why. They suck and when the line sucks, it’s over for you. What Maccagnan did by ignoring the OL is ******* criminal and this is the end result. You don’t find good NFL offensive linemen on the street in June, and that’s where Douglas and Gase had to look for *starters* two months before the opener. 

and we know this how I never read anything where anyone was refused anything? If think you cant simplify the blocking scheme to help limited players then I suggest you go back to the drawing board. No one is saying that the jets oline is anything but bad but can not honestly expect any one watching the games to think that Gase or Pollack has done anything that would help them.  
How can 6 or 7 players regress  at the same time .. that is coaching 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you know how you go from 4-12 to 8-8 or 9-7?  Rebuilding.  I did not say tanking.  Apparently all you guys think you have to tank and that in any given season 3/4 of the teams are tanking.  That is bullsh*t, but we were/are rebuilding.   

1 is trolling you.  You didn't know that?

You don’t think SAR I believed that the Jets were winning the division?

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What’s the next tier of guys who would actually take the job? 

Mike Tomlin should he lose his job. Mike McCarthy (who I don’t want).  There are probably plenty of coordinators that would take the job.  Same with college coaches. The Jets have bad owners but there are still only 32 of these jobs.

Keep in mind that we were able to get Joe D.  (Who was highly regarded around the NFL)

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mike Tomlin should he lose his job. Mike McCarthy (who I don’t want).  There are probably plenty of coordinators that would take the job.  Same with college coaches. The Jets have bad owners but there are still only 32 of these jobs.

Keep in mind that we were able to get Joe D.  (Who was highly regarded around the NFL)

Mike Tomlin lost big ben, leveon bell and antonio brown.  And he has that team at .500 and right in the playoff race.  Mike Tomlin is having the best season coaching in his career.  

• Upvote 1