The Good News (Thanks to Macc)

TNJet

The Jets will very likely draft a Safety this year.  There are several good ones.  It is Maye’s last year on his contract, and Adams is 50/50 to be traded in my view.  

Maye has been a good player for the Jets but probably not the guy you give a big second contract to.  He is someone you draft in the 2nd or 3rd round and play for 4 years.  

Adams has been a great player so far, but the question is whether you can pay him $15mm.  Teams like the Redskins and Titans are paying their safeties a lot of money.  So are the Ravens and Chiefs.   It’s probably a coin flip depending on whether the Jets can draft CBS and EDGE,   You can’t pay Adams, Mosley and Avery in a 4-3 defense.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets will very likely draft a Safety this year.  There are several good ones.  It is Maye’s last year on his contract, and Adams is 50/50 to be traded in my view.  

Maye has been a good player for the Jets but probably not the guy you give a big second contract to.  He is someone you draft in the 2nd or 3rd round and play for 4 years.  

Adams has been a great player so far, but the question is whether you can pay him $15mm.  Teams like the Redskins and Titans are paying their safeties a lot of money.  So are the Ravens and Chiefs.   It’s probably a coin flip depending on whether the Jets can draft CBS and EDGE,   You can’t pay Adams, Mosley and Avery in a 4-3 defense.  

I doubt the Jets are drafting safety, at least with their first pick.  Douglas background is OL which is our biggest weakness.  We do have that extra high third from the Leo trade which is huge.  I think offense will be a big part of our draft 

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, TNJet said:

We don't have to draft a single, DL, S, or MLB thanks to Macc. In all reality we are set there. We have depth out the arse for next season at these positions. DL could be ignored for a couple years easily. That said, it will help us stock pile on (3)athletic offensive linemen which we are in dire straits for. (LT, C, G)TE is set as well with Griffin, Herndon, and Wesco.We will also be able to draft a starter at CB, OLB, WR, and scat back. If Douglas plays his cards right our whole team can be fixed by the start of next season. Macc gets a lil credit for log jamming the big uglies on D. Quinnen, Foley Fatukasi, Shepherd, H.Anderson, McClendon, Kyle Phillips, Basham. Mosley, Williamson, Burgess, Cashman, Hewitt. Adams, Maye, Miles, Middleton. Good solid depth.

yes and no.  they seem to have good depth at the moment if you consider they'll keep williamson and mosley but at the same time injuries will take a toll and the dlinemen need to be rotated to keep them fresh.  also williams stated earlier that he wants to play a 4-3 so maybe they change personnel a bit.  i do agree they don't really need to address these positions in the upcoming draft.

Quadrupling down on non-premium positions is not a praiseworthy situation.  In truth, it simply further shows how oblivious he was to the concept of the priorities and needs of this team.  In the end, whether anything further is done at those positions will be entirely at the discretion of Douglas.  If not, that will be much more a matter of him understanding what actually needs to be done for this team, rather than anything to credit Macc for.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

The most awesome part is his team building approach seemed to be more value based than allotting resources into specific positions, but these almost random decisions didn’t even yield good value. 

He was always more sold on things like “his teammates respond to him “ than pure athletic ability 

In the draft he always seemed to be trying to outsmart everyone instead of just getting the fast tough guy that was something of a prick 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

yes and no.  they seem to have good depth at the moment if you consider they'll keep williamson and mosley but at the same time injuries will take a toll and the dlinemen need to be rotated to keep them fresh.  also williams stated earlier that he wants to play a 4-3 so maybe they change personnel a bit.  i do agree they don't really need to address these positions in the upcoming draft.

Don't forget about Caps my friend, after the periods. I hope we do go 4-3, its the only way to get a pass rush.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Quadrupling down on non-premium positions is not a praiseworthy situation.  In truth, it simply further shows how oblivious he was to the concept of the priorities and needs of this team.  In the end, whether anything further is done at those positions will be entirely at the discretion of Douglas.  If not, that will be much more a matter of him understanding what actually needs to be done for this team, rather than anything to credit Macc for.

True, I was just stating mostly what we don't even have to draft this year. This jelps us concentrate on the needed positions easily. OL, CB, WR, OLB.

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

I doubt the Jets are drafting safety, at least with their first pick.  Douglas background is OL which is our biggest weakness.  We do have that extra high third from the Leo trade which is huge.  I think offense will be a big part of our draft 

No, not 1st.

a 3rd or 4th rounder, I could see.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Gonna have to disagree. Mac was terrible, Idzik wasn’t much better but at least he drafted some positions of need (even though his actual selections were terrible). Mac not only had terrible selections, But the ones that weren’t terrible were mostly at positions already filled or not of high importance 

Remember the Idzik 12? Fckin all out of the league or suck/backups. Enunwa and Dozier? Yippee. IK Emempkali? Milliner? Omg so terrible. Macc atleast gave us 3 good DL, Shell, Jenkins, Adams, Maye, Herndon and some guy named Darnold. People forget he traded up from 6 to 3, to get Sam btw.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TNJet said:

Remember the Idzik 12? Fckin all out of the league or suck/backups. Enunwa and Dozier? Yippee. IK Emempkali? Milliner? Omg so terrible. Macc atleast gave us 3 good DL, Shell, Jenkins, Adams, Maye, Herndon and some guy named Darnold.

Can’t discredit Enunwa than 1 up Herndon, Kinda same path right now. Hopefully I’m wrong 

Maye, who I like, was a TERRIBLE pick, after selecting Adams the round before 

Adams was picked ahead of two really good young qbs when we were in desperate need of a qb

Q Williams forget what he is or will become, the last thing we needed in that spot was an interior lineman of the defensive side of the ball

The Idzik 12 was bad but that wasnt a great draft either 

This actually sounds like I’m sticking up for Idzik, I’m not he was terrible, 2nd worst GM ever 1 slot behind MacCagnen

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Remember the Idzik 12? Fckin all out of the league or suck/backups. Enunwa and Dozier? Yippee. IK Emempkali? Milliner? Omg so terrible. Macc atleast gave us 3 good DL, Shell, Jenkins, Adams, Maye, Herndon and some guy named Darnold. People forget he traded up from 6 to 3, to get Sam btw.

they are the Ruth and Gehrig of sh*tty Gms.

re mac, besides adams , all mentioned are mediocrities at this time including Sam, who cost 3 2's and recall he didn't know who was gonna be available, whilst two Qbs drafted behind him are in the playoffs in year 2.  one bonus point for not drafting rosen.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I can't believe between Idzik & Macc how many WRs these guys missed on & how many good WRs are peppered all over the NFL starting for other teams. Mind numbing. 

This happens to be an amazing year to draft A WR. 

Granted, idzik would have interpreted that to mean he can wait until the 5th to take one but I'm pretty convinced we are taking one high. 

• Upvote 1

The reason Mac did best player available was he was a terrible talent evaluator he could not draft out side the top 5 all the talent the Jets got under him was drafted in top 5 or lower. As soon as he got above that he could not draft Mac could not think outside the box he made the safest picks that had the least amount of risk clear sign he was in over his head. He didn't trust his scouting department and regularly ignored them. DT are the safest pick with the least amount of risk even a bad DT takes up space  and plug up a running lane. I'm real confident with front office the Jets Joe Douglass took some real big names to help him rebuild this team.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This happens to be an amazing year to draft A WR. 

Granted, idzik would have interpreted that to mean he can wait until the 5th to take one but I'm pretty convinced we are taking one high. 

I want Jauan Jennings WR Tennessee over anyone else. 6-3, 215, hands,speed, power, physicality, but most of all....heart/toughness. Plays with that edge that rallies teammates around him. Game changer. Beast. Watched him for 3 plus years. Get him in Green. He's like Chrebet/Keyshawn combined.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I don't give Macc any credit for Sam. The two teams ahead of us, Gints and Browns, both needed QB's. Sam and Baker should have been off the board before the Jets picked and Macc would have taken Rosen over Allen IMO.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Big_Slick said:

I don't give Macc any credit for Sam. The two teams ahead of us, Gints and Browns, both needed QB's. Sam and Baker should have been off the board before the Jets picked and Macc would have taken Rosen over Allen IMO.

And if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass when he hopped...

10 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

You’re right. However, I’m all about drafting the best player available. If that’s a DT or Safety, so be it. The coaches should make it work out. 

Please hold off on the butt fumbles. I’m trying to put myself in Macc’s shoes. 

I’m all for BAP, especially early, but it has to be weighed by positional value. Jamal Adams may’ve been the BAP, but taking him ahead of Mahommes or Watson looks criminal in retrospect (and to many, in real time). 

There are positions the Jets just have to take off the board in the early rounds, and DT and S probably apply. They should be choosing between a LT, WR, and EDGE in the first, and OL, WR, and EDGE the next two. Maybe CB. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, TNJet said:

We don't have to draft a single, DL, S, or MLB thanks to Macc. In all reality we are set there. We have depth out the arse for next season at these positions. DL could be ignored for a couple years easily. That said, it will help us stock pile on (3)athletic offensive linemen which we are in dire straits for. (LT, C, G)TE is set as well with Griffin, Herndon, and Wesco.We will also be able to draft a starter at CB, OLB, WR, and scat back. If Douglas plays his cards right our whole team can be fixed by the start of next season. Macc gets a lil credit for log jamming the big uglies on D. Quinnen, Foley Fatukasi, Shepherd, H.Anderson, McClendon, Kyle Phillips, Basham. Mosley, Williamson, Burgess, Cashman, Hewitt. Adams, Maye, Miles, Middleton. Good solid depth.

If we win a Super Bowl in my lifetime, I will make sure Mike Maccagnan and John Idzik both get the credit they deserve in the development of this franchise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I’m all for BAP, especially early, but it has to be weighed by positional value. Jamal Adams may’ve been the BAP, but taking him ahead of Mahommes or Watson looks criminal in retrospect (and to many, in real time).

I hate what Mac did when GM of the Jets-I really do.  There are incompetent GMs, OK GMs and great GMs.  Same thing with coaches.  

Smart GMs and Coaches realized that the NFL could switch to a more college-style offense.   Until this year, the best team in the league was the Patriots running an Old School Traditional Offense.  

But recalling the 2016 and 2017 drafts, people were not up in arms about the Jets not picking Watson or Mahomes.  I don’t think there was a a lot of confidence that Bowles and Bates would be able to design an offense for a college style QB.  There were real questions about whether Mahomes and Watson would be good NFL QBs.  There were questions about Watson’s arm-strength playing in the Meadowlands.   People thought Lamar Jackson should be a WR.  Basically, the NFL establishment was proven wrong by a few visionaries who have shown that they can translate a college-style QB to the NFL for at least a few years.   Tough to blame Mac for not making those picks when he knew they would be busts for the Jets.  With replacing Bowles with Old School Gase, the prospect of a shift to a innovative offense is not high.  

The pick rather than Adams was probalby Lattimore, but he had injury issues Mac was avoiding.  Mac was all about avoiding the first round bust.  Sounds easy to do, but it is not.  He did do that, but look at the cost. 

Maye would like have been around in the 3rd round.  If you picked a Dalvin Cook in Rd 2 and Maye (and not Adarious Stewart) in round 3, the draft looks better.  What about John Johnson or Eddie Jackson in Round 4?

I don’t think we will see Mac drafting ever again.