Alshon Jeffery on the block, basically for free

T0mShane

1 hour ago, slats said:

Give up something for the privilege of paying Jeffrey $10M & $12.7M over the next two years? I would much, much rather give that money to Robby, and I'm straddling the fence on paying Robby. 

The eagles want to get rid of Jeffrey (cap situation in Philly and other issues) and if they cut him the cap hit would be much bigger than if they trade him. There is a good chance they'd trade him for virtually nothing and may even be forced to throw in a draft pick. 

If we don't want to over spend for Anderson(like the way the eagles over paid for Jeffrey a few years ago and are now suffering the consequences), can't get Cooper and don't want to touch OBJ there is a point where a guy like Jeffery makes sense as a veteran stop-gap/insurance policy in case the rookie WRs we draft aren't ready day 1.

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

^^^ 

Ashlon is a big body WR who can gives us that presence at the position that Darnold needs even if he isn’t as he use to be. A 6th for him would be tremendous. Enunwa and RA aren’t coming back and we’re so bare at the position. Go get him! 

Hes the same height as Robby, not as fast and with fewer yards.

He does lead Robby in games missed and QBs thrown under the bus

Why do we want to let Robby go and bring this guy in?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Dude can't stay healthy, has been putting up numbers similar to Demaryius Thomas and is a locker room problem. We want to trade for him and pay him like a top 20 WR? 

Hard Pass. If he becomes a FA and we can sign him to a more reasonable deal to replace Thomas he does have higher upside, but as a trade I'm not even considering it.

I agree that it makes little sense to trade anything of value for Jeffrey. But all indications are that the eagles would cut Jeffery if the cap hit wasn't prohibitive. It's cheaper for them to trade him.

if we traded for him, I think it would be something like Jeffery and the eagles 7th for our 6th rounder. It could even be a situation where they would give us the better end of a draft pick swap just to avoid the cap hit of cutting him.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s older, but a big, tough, professional receiver that could help Darnold by simply being where he’s supposed to go. I wouldn’t give up a pick, but I might do an Alshon for Avery Williamson deal. 

Pass...just resign Thomas. Same player, sounds like probably a much better guy.

• Thumb Down 1

Alshon for our #7? I'd do that in a heartbeat. We got ZERO out of Kalil for 10 million but it didn't kill our cap & Jeffery is a chance you take again without killing your cap. Sam Darnold is going to need some veteran WRs, let's face it. Anderson is a goner, he's too weak underneath, doesn't come close to breaking tackles & he's a HUGE RISK to give a massive contract to. 

Trading a 7th for Alshon doesn't preclude you from drafting 2 more young WRs. Signing Anderson for a long term contract limits you more. Someone here stated they were the same size? Certainly not the same strength, Jeffery has always been a red zone monster which with Herndon back increases Sams targets in the Red Zone. Obviously it's all about his physical. 

9.9 million is CHEAP for an experienced WR. Hell, at that price you can platoon him & keep him fresh as a daisy. Brandon Marshall was awesome in the Redzone (except for that drop in New England), Alshon could be that guy for a more accurate Darnold. 

Someone mentioned Avery Williamson, hell, I'd rather give the Eagles a 7th, 6th at the most, trade Williamson for a 6th & use that 6.5 million cap savings towards Alshons salary (We literally add Alshon Jeffery, add a 6th, & only add 3.4 to our salary cap!). That's how you fill holes year to year while keeping your draft picks & giving Sam weapons. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes the same height as Robby, not as fast and with fewer yards.

He does lead Robby in games missed and QBs thrown under the bus

Why do we want to let Robby go and bring this guy in?

Bc Jeffrey is a professional WR who can run more routes than Robby knows

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Gotta be honest, if you're going to pay that type of money for a WR, I'd rather give it to Robby, who I'm not really thrilled about re-signing.

Except thr guaranteed money is the big difference.  Would you rather guarantee $0 amd give a 6th round pick for Alshon or guarantee $25-$30 million to a guy who has one great skill and hasn't gotten better over the last 2 years? Anderson is way more of a risk in this scenario in my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

Based on Jeffery's contract he has two years remaining but very
minimal guarantees left.  I would offer PHI the worst of the
two 6th round picks we have for Jeffery and their 7th rounder.
Similar to what Maccagnan did when trading for Osemele last
year.  You would then have Crowder and Jeffery as your starters
going into the draft and then you can pick a WR in round 2

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/alshon-jeffery-9855/

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s older, but a big, tough, professional receiver that could help Darnold by simply being where he’s supposed to go. I wouldn’t give up a pick, but I might do an Alshon for Avery Williamson deal. 

JEEEEESE  Tom , You were doing fine till you brought  Avery Williamson into the conversation. HARD pass.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Bc Jeffrey is a professional WR who can run more routes than Robby knows

And because being on the field doesn't count?

His numbers aren't impressing anyone for all those routes

And throwing your QB under the bus makes him professional?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Agoldstein54 said:

my brother suggested that the eagles might be interested in a swap of trumaine for alshon

If we do that, I still want a pick with Alshon.  Jeffery's salary is guaranteed for 2020; Tru's is not.  We are taking on $9.9MM in additional guaranteed salary and giving the Eagles cap relief if they cut Johnson.  If that is the case, I want a pick plus Alshon for Johnson.

Only caveat to this is that it assumes I understand correctly how salaries/cap hits are impacted by trades, which may or may not be the case.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:48 PM, Jet Nut said:

Only if you let him.

Pay him what hes worth and he stays

Problem is Robby is going to want 4 years $50 million+ and he’s going to be able to get it because the FA market at WR sucks

If we trade a late round pick for Jeffery it’s essentially a two year deal for a guy who is a good WR

Id give up a 6th rd pick to have Alshon for the next 2 years for what his contract is.

With a deep WR class we should be able to find a young starter in the first 3 rounds.

People that are saying just re-sign Robbie, well he’s probably going to get 15 mil / year for a 4-5 year deal. I’m not interested in that, and Joe Douglas doesn’t seem to be.

Alshon would be easily cut after 2020 with little to no cap hit if it doesn’t work out. It’s a thin WR market in free agency this year. Alshon for a late rounder and drafting someone is our best realistic option without paying out of our ass or giving up premium draft capital.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Here’s a fun fact:

In 2019, despite playing just 10 games, Alshon Jeffrey had 43 rec., for 490 yds and 4 TDS. 

In two SEASONS, Stephen Hill (drafted 2 spots before Alshon) accumulated 45 rec., for 594 yds and 4 TDs. 

Another fun fact - there exists a faction of Jets fans who to this day believe Stephen Hill turns into Megatron when Hale-Bopp passes the earth.

49 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

In 2019, despite playing just 10 games, Alshon Jeffrey had 43 rec., for 490 yds and 4 TDS. 

Which is why I can’t understand why any Jets fan wouldn’t want this guy, if he’s available for a Day 3 pick. 

His contract makes him cheaper than Robbie, so its a win-win. 

37 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Which is why I can’t understand why any Jets fan wouldn’t want this guy, if he’s available for a Day 3 pick. 

Because he is due $10MM guaranteed in 2020.  Coming off Lisfranc surgery in December which has an expected 9 month recovery.  So to trade for him and his salary now, when he still has potential 7 months recovery ahead of him with no way of knowing if he will be ready for opening day.  And he is available because he doesn't get along with his QB.

I would pass. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Or even better if we acquire him for a player we’re pink slipping. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Because he is due $10MM guaranteed in 2020.  Coming off Lisfranc surgery in December which has an expected 9 month recovery.  So to trade for him and his salary now, when he still has potential 7 months recovery ahead of him with no way of knowing if he will be ready for opening day.  And he is available because he just threw his QB under the bus.

I would pass.

I’m not sure how it works, but if we traded Trumaine Johnson for him straight up wouldn’t each respective club be paying for the other team’s player?

We have a dead cap loss of $13M and $3M cap savings (dead cap being money against our cap that doesn’t go to a player on our roster, the savings being the remainder of his 2020 salary that we save by cutting him).  

If traded, Alshon carries a dead cap of $16M (paid by the Eagles).

Where is the $10M figure coming from? Why would he get double-paid?!

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

Because he is due $10MM guaranteed in 2020.  Coming off Lisfranc surgery in December which has an expected 9 month recovery.  So to trade for him and his salary now, when he still has potential 7 months recovery ahead of him with no way of knowing if he will be ready for opening day.  And he is available because he doesn't get along with his QB.

I would pass. 

Too many people think we'd be getting the Jeffery of years past instead of what Jeffery will be in the future. Nothing like laying out a draft pick for a 30 year old coming off of Lisfranc surgery a mere 2 months ago that adds 10mil to our cap.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I’m not sure how it works, but if we traded Trumaine Johnson for him straight up wouldn’t each respective club be paying for the other team’s player?

We have a dead cap loss of $13M and $3M cap savings (dead cap being money against our cap that doesn’t go to a player on our roster, the savings being the remainder of his 2020 salary that we save by cutting him).  

If traded, Alshon carries a dead cap of $16M (paid by the Eagles).

Where is the $10M figure coming from? Why would he get double-paid?!

The Eagles cap hit of $16M is the accelerated charge for bonus money already paid to him that was deferred under the cap.  Originally was going to be spread across the entire lenght of his contract through 2022.  If they trade him, the remaining hit accelerates to 2020.  It is money already paid to Jeffery.  His base for 2020 is $9.9 mil and it is guaranteed; he is not getting double paid.  Either the Eagles, or the team trading for him will pay him the $9.9 mil.

It is not a wash with Tru becuase his salary for 2020 is not guaranteed, while Jeffery's is.  Tru's base for 2020 is $11 mil.  Whether we trade him or release him, we are not paying the $11Mil.  The cap hit is for past bonus money paid but not yet charged to the cap.

Jeffery's $9.9 mil will be incremental charge on our 2020 cap, unless Eagles agree to pick up part of his salary.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Problem is Robby is going to want 4 years $50 million+ and he’s going to be able to get it because the FA market at WR sucks

If we trade a late round pick for Jeffery it’s essentially a two year deal for a guy who is a good WR

And that's the way the FA market has always been determined.

Some believe its more about how good-great you are.  

Its a larger dose of supply and demand

I could see an Alshon trade happening, we need a WR, there is a Douglas connection. I don't really have a problem with bringing him in but it's comes down to compensation. How much are the Eagles willing to eat of that contract or how much more in draft capital is it worth to them to move on from him?

• Upvote 1

Eagles are super thin at WR. There's a reason why he's available. He is injured every year. If the eagles trade Jeffrey, Who are there WRs? Desean Jackson and JJ arcega Whiteside? Yikes.

The last 5 seasons he never topped 850 yards. The Jets can resign D. Thomas for like 3 million a year. let him hold the fort and draft 2 wrs early

• Upvote 1