Redskins allow Trent Williams to seek trade

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/9588666

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Redskins have granted LT Trent Williams permission to seek a trade.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo quickly confirmed the report. The Redskins made one last push to retain Williams following the firing of brusque GM Bruce Allen and the training staff, but Williams wants a new deal. The Redskins, apparently, don't want to give it. Going on 32, Williams did not play a down of football in 2019, but he likely remains one of the best blindside protectors in the league. Washington should be able to land a Day 2 pick. A first probably isn't realistic, though that is surely where talks will begin.

-------------------

First Jason Peters, now Trent Williams?! 

Not saying we should go after either, but I sure do hope the Browns and other OT hungry teams drafting 1-10 explore these fine, fine players. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Why do these owners think that they have the right to continue to control broken players like this?  No one will want to pay a draft pick for Trent Williams.

I would offer them Avery W and Brian Winters tomorrow.  We can take a chance on Trent's helmet fitting. 

• Upvote 2

We still would need a long solution at LT that's our reality this temporary crap needs to stop.   JD definitely knows this he's looking LT in the first round only logical choice.  That's why they are trying to get a Robbie deal done.  Opens the door for WR depth in late 3-6 rounds.   

It depends on the price. An incentive based contract - perhaps a shorter one than Williams would prefer, but is forced to settle for because he might be overestimating the market, might buy us a two year deal and a window for long term improvement, and both sides can get what they want out of it. We get a quality short term upgrade, he gets the opportunity after a year out of football to get one last big contract in a year or two.

These "names" are attractive but if we are going to re-vamp the OLine
we need to do it with younger players.  Give me draft picks and/or
free agents like Conklin, Glasgow, Thuney and Vaitai.  Players that
can grow together over 3-4 years

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Agoldstein54 said:

i saw a video of him doing workouts this week on bleacher report. I think it was supposed to be Impressive but I was not at all. his workout techniques looked like part of the reason he's gotten hurt in the past. Just a personal opinion

https://t.co/FwAeT5ELMO 

He looked ok to me in the workout.

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) Tweeted:
Washington OT Trent Williams has been given permission to seek a trade through his agent Vincent Taylor, as @diannaESPN has reported. Here is video of Williams working out this week.

That’s a tough one. 
What’s the cost of getting him? A 4th ok, the second 3rd maybe, any higher no, what’s his contract going to be? 3 years with the 4th being an option, a reasonable contract? is he healthy?? Is he in shape??? Guys his size take time to get in shape and there’s an injury risk. 
There’s a lot of questions on this one. If he’s healthy and in shape and the cost/contract is reasonable he’d be a good choice. They could draft a OT at 11 and put in at RT/OG until he’s ready to take over for Williams then Williams could move to RT for a few years then retire.
Having two starting caliber OT would be a nice change. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

https://t.co/FwAeT5ELMO 

He looked ok to me in the workout.

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) Tweeted:
Washington OT Trent Williams has been given permission to seek a trade through his agent Vincent Taylor, as @diannaESPN has reported. Here is video of Williams working out this week.

if you see the way he's squatting its not a full squat, its like he's just lifting 700 lbs to hold it on his back. Its not as effective as taking 550 llbs thru the full range of motion.

Also look at his bench press. Rule of thumb is two points of contact. There can be an arch of the back but the shoulder blades and but need to be on the bench. His hole lower half is in the air, trying to leverage himself. and additionally, only going halfway thru the range of motion one again.

that's just not the proper technique i would think to see from a high level athlete, its kinda basic for people who are into lifting. that's how over compensations and injuries result

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Agoldstein54 said:

if you see the way he's squatting its not a full squat, its like he's just lifting 700 lbs to hold it on his back. Its not as effective as taking 550 llbs thru the full range of motion.

Also look at his bench press. Rule of thumb is two points of contact. There can be an arch of the back but the shoulder blades and but need to be on the bench. His hole lower half is in the air, trying to leverage himself. and additionally, only going halfway thru the range of motion one again.

that's just not the proper technique i would think to see from a high level athlete, its kinda basic for people who are into lifting. that's how over compensations and injuries result

This is why I count each repetition I do as two, and how I’m able to bench 225 like 50 times. 

• Haha 1

I was thinking the same thing. I’m no fitness coach but that didn’t seem like the best sizzle reel to get people interested in his athleticism.
Very poor technique. And he’s an injury prone guy. Someone could put 2+2 together here.

I wouldn’t have let him out this out if he was my Client. But that’s just me. What do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Teams are letting vets go because this is a great class to draft their replacements. Maybe keep our picks and just draft out studs instead?

I like that.  If the top OTs are gone, don't reach.  Take Jeudy or Lamb.  yeah yeah there are other good WRs in rd 2 so if we do that we end up with a rd 2 wr and a rd 2 OT that we drafted at 11.  I'd rather trade down.  

Come on.  Duh.  Reaching almost always fails.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

That’s a tough one. 
What’s the cost of getting him? A 4th ok, the second 3rd maybe, any higher no, what’s his contract going to be? 3 years with the 4th being an option, a reasonable contract? is he healthy?? Is he in shape??? Guys his size take time to get in shape and there’s an injury risk. 
There’s a lot of questions on this one. If he’s healthy and in shape and the cost/contract is reasonable he’d be a good choice. They could draft a OT at 11 and put in at RT/OG until he’s ready to take over for Williams then Williams could move to RT for a few years then retire.
Having two starting caliber OT would be a nice change. 

He wants big bucks not reasonable bucks. For that he’d have stated with the Skins. He’s going to command to much money and has a history of injury and hasn’t played in a year. Don’t do it JD. You already blundered with Kahil.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Injury history doesn't concern you?

Age doesn't concern you?

The year+ off without playing doesn't concern you?

The likely price tag doesn't concern you?

All of the above.  Pass. 

• Upvote 1

Only 1 yr left on his deal would limit what i would trade for Williams.  I do think there is plenty of gas left in the tank.  Cornerstone LTs usually age well.  

Two #1s for Tunsil last year, with 2yrs left on his rookie deal.  He is younger, but not as good as Williams.  Still think Redskins will get a 1 for him. 

Dolphins should call up and offer all three 1st round picks for #2 and Williams, on the condition they can sign a long term deal with him.  If they come out of the first round w/ what they expect to be franchise QB & LT, for essentially the # 26 pick, they should be ecstatic.

• Sympathy 1

JD is listening. We need a 2 year solution to 1 of our Oline spots while JD drafts a few lineman high & brings in a couple of developmental players. 

I know you guys are all about top free agents available but even signing two of them won't be easy based on the competition from other teams INCLUDING their own. Didn't Beachum miss time again last year? Andre Whitworth is 38 going on 39, Peters is 38, the top LTs seem to have pretty good longevity. Go hard after a nasty free agent left Guard to put next to him to make his job even easier. I'd go as high as our 2nd third rounder. 

This is the freaking NFL, guys get hurt. You take a chance everytime you sign a player. CJ Mosely, never hurt B4, signs a huge contract with us, BAM, misses 15 & 1/2 games! Trent Williams gets talked about in Tyron Smith, Jason Peters level. We're not signing him to a 6 year contract. JD can still draft a stud tackle at #11 & start him at RT so he's ready to switch over to LT at 24/25 years old.