Jason Peters???

KRL

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/03/jason-peters-open-to-playing-rt

Longtime Eagles LT Jason Peters is open to playing right tackle if it will help him land a job, as Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network tweets. Peters graded out as the No. 6 overall tackle in 2019 per Pro Football Focus’ advanced metrics, but he is still looking for work as we hit the second wave of free agency.

Of course, part of that is due to Peters’ advanced age. He turned 38 in January, so teams in need of an OT are likely trying to see if there are longer-term options available. At this point, it’s fair to wonder if Peters will need to wait until after the draft to find a new club.

But he will certainly be playing somewhere in 2020. Over a remarkable 16-year career, Peters has accumulated nine Pro Bowl nods, two First Team All-Pro bids, and a Super Bowl ring. He has played on the right side before, and it would probably not be too difficult for him to move back to RT if necessary.

The Buccaneers, who are clearly all-in on bringing home a championship in 2020, could see Peters as a win-now option at RT, and while the Browns filled their right tackle vacancy by signing Jack Conklin to a massive free agent deal, Cleveland’s LT job is still wide open. The Chargers also profile as a potential landing spot.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

My red flag is that JD is extremely familiar with him, sees his market is slow/weak, is at a position of need and still hasn't pounced (presumably).

That tells me a lot, I think.

seems alot of presumption...    Peters waiting seems logical to me, as in above quote

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

seems alot of presumption...    Peters waiting seems logical to me, as in above quote

Peters waiting does, Douglas has shown no interest as far as we know. 

Does it seem logical that if JD was interested in Peters, he'd have shown zero signs so far?  

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Peters waiting does, Douglas has shown no interest as far as we know. 

Does it seem logical that if JD was interested in Peters, he'd have shown zero signs so far?  

you souind like a terrible poker player.

why th need to show anything? 

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you souind like a terrible poker player.

why th need to show anything? 

So you don't have an answer?  

Do a lot of players get signed by teams that show no interest in them?

The Jets aren't in a position of bargaining power with Peters.  He's probably not chomping at the bit to end his career with a team that is likely not consider a playoff team.  If the Jets were to come in with a reasonable offer when he had essentially no market, he'd have to decide whether to take the reasonable offer he has in hand or gamble that he can get an offer/situation he likes better down the road.

If he chooses the latter, the Jets were never getting him to begin with.

Be proud of your poker game, I'm sure you are awesome.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Peters on a 1yr deal or a trade for Trent Williams would be huge 

Jets are not trading for Trent W and then having to sign him to a huge contract. JD won’t do it and I’m glad he won’t. Would be pure gambling. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I wouldn't mind Peters, especially since both our tackle spots are big question marks right now.

But the guy I prefer is Cordy Glenn. He's 30 and would be less sucestible to injury than the 38 year old Peters.

There is more to being susceptible to injury than age.  Neither is a particularly great bet, but Cordy Glenn has missed 10 games in two of the last three seasons.  Chronic foot/ankle injuries in 2017 and concussion issues (including a suspension related to their treatment) in 2019.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, KRL said:

What do people think, yes or no?  He's 38 years old, has a history with Douglas,
is willing to play RT and has been durable over the past two years:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeteJa21.htm

Should we give him a one year deal?

yes.  Perhaps can be a mentor to the young OL we draft for a year while they develop?

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There is more to being susceptible to injury than age.  Neither is a particularly great bet, but Cordy Glenn has missed 10 games in two of the last three seasons.  Chronic foot/ankle injuries in 2017 and concussion issues (including a suspension related to their treatment) in 2019.  

I believe Peters has missed 12 games during that same time span.

I know age isn't the only indicator of future injury (or decline of play) but it's a huge factor. Given the choice, I prefer youth (relatively speaking).

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

I would wait until after the draft and see if a) Peters is still a FA and b) who did the Jets draft.   Right now I’m not excited about bringing in a 38 year old RT.  

Ninja'd.  Was about to say, Jason Peters is the type of signing you make when you swing and miss in FA/draft and/or arent confident in who you have as your starter heading into training camp.  And for his sake, he's probably better off waiting for that situation from an offer perspective.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I believe Peters has missed 12 games during that same time span.

I know age isn't the only indicator of future injury (or decline of play) but it's a huge factor. Given the choice, I prefer youth (relatively speaking).

My post was poorly worded.  Glenn missed 10 games in 2017 and another 10 in 2019.  He missed another 3 in 2018, so compared to the 12 that Peters missed (9 of those were in 2017), Glenn has missed 23.  Recent concussion issues are always concerning.Everybody prefers youth, but when you are looking for a one year placeholder, it doesn't make much difference.  sh*t, I'd put Donald Penn on this list too as a cheaper option.  

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No.  Draft Becton or Wills at 11

assuming that one of them will be there is quite risky.  Every which way I see the 4 of them Wirfs, Thomas, Wills and Becton) just as likely to be all gone as one of them falling.  If one of them falls to us it'll probably be Wills.  Having Peters on 1-year deal would be great if we draft one of these guys.  It would be foolish to assume the rook is going to start from day 1.  Peters would be perfect for a year.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I take back my initial assessment base on what I'm reading.

Still very good and can be a mentor to our #11 LT.

Add that to he's still an upgrade over Fant/Edoga - I'm sold. 

Make it happen JD.

Thanks,

If the Jets were just a LT away from being a contender I'd be all over it.  They're not.   

Peters is more then likely looking for a BIG chunk of money, and more then lkely someone is going to give it to him.   If no one does, and his price comes down ALOT, yeah then I would consider it.  Right now the smart thing to do is contact him, make an offer, and wait it out.  I suspect that is what Dougla is doing.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ninja'd.  Was about to say, Jason Peters is the type of signing you make when you swing and miss in FA/draft and/or arent confident in who you have as your starter heading into training camp.  And for his sake, he's probably better off waiting for that situation from an offer perspective.

Not every free agent gets signed before the draft.  Plus guys get cut after the draft as well based on who that team drafts at a particular position.  This O-line situation doesn’t need to be solved this week.  

• Upvote 1

I'm sensing JD and Gase are looking for OL with a particular skill set which is why they targeted Fant and McGovern.  I have no idea if Peters fits the mold but using stats and PFF rankings based on the system they ran in Philadelphia may not be applicable here...