the jets will have the worst offense in the nfl

kmnj

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

the jets will have the worst offense in the league this upcoming season unless Sam becomes the first qb that can block defensive players with one hand while holding the ball in the other then he will have to throw the ball really high and far and then run down and catch it himself. Thankfully for Sam he has a genius coach in Gase that can scheme for such a system. Gase is a pioneer like Bill Walsh but better.

The Jets will have the worst offensive roster in the NFL and the worst coach coaching them-what could possibly go wrong?

On the plus side this will be the last season we get to see or hear Gase on the jets sideline.

I feel bad for Sam-it is him and bell and that is it and his coach does not know how to use bell properly

I know I should not be so negative the Jets have the draft to build the team with . I mean I understand they have not had a good draft in years but they will some how find a top tackle and three stud wrs in the draft and a guard or two as well.

There are some legitimate things going on the world to be concerned about.  If you feel the need to freak out, Covid is something I could get behind.  
This is silly and very premature.  If you really feel strongly about this, Id be happy to place a wager that youre wrong, assuming that they play the season. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Where is he wrong?

Sam will not "only have 1 hand on the football and block defensive players with the other" ... he has been coached up to hold it with both so that he does not fumble

Sam is not fast enough to run down the field and catch his own passes (is that even legal? ... outside of NE)

Gase is not better than Bill Walsh

---

you need to clarify several parts of what you believe about his post:

I assume you will be talking "yards per game" results for 2020 and not "points per game" ranking ... this needs to be clarified to confirm 2020 rankings.

What factors are he/you using to determine offensive roster rankings?

What has Bell done for us for he/you to rank him as being worthy of Sam in projecting 2020 success? It sounds like you believe his to be very talented but held back simply by Gase's decisions.

Why should he/you not be so negative before the draft?  You clearly believe this, so you should tell the truth.

The fact that you believe what he says "out of 8 draft picks, they will include OT, WR, WR, WR, OG, OG" ... that is very bold considering how unlikely to occur

51 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I’m guessing you missed the atrocious play of our OL last year. Entering 2020 with a mediocre line in already a massive upgrade. 

We've upgraded at C and Guard - both guys have been up and down starters/backups - they are very middle of road players.  yes, that is a major upgrade over what we had but still not exactly a weapon.

We downgraded at Tackle - as both Shell and Beachum have performed better than Fant..And we clearly downgraded at WR...

You guys can call me what you want - but this is the reality - you want to put your heads in the sand and pretend like, because we slightly upgraded our C and G, that all of a sudden this is a talented offense and that JD is some type of genius GM - so be...I won't stop you. 

But I'm not going to toe the company line just because y'all gonna call me names. 

When we have talent on this team I'll get behind but I'm simply not going to go crazy over 10 JAGS and Sam and pretend like we have something to be excited about!!!! 

Sam can be great -  Can be a top 5 QB in the NFL and I have no question about that...I know Mac had no idea or desire to build around him - the jury is still out on JD.

• Upvote 2

There is still work  to be done. We need 1 OT and 1/2 WRs. I think everybody needs to come to the understanding that Quincy is under contract and will line up at WR this year - even if it's just for a few games.

If Joe Dougie traded a 3 for Trent Williams and locked in Jerry Jeudy at #11, is this still the worst offense in the league? Not even remotely close IMO

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

You guys only want to hear the good and anyone that doesn't love the job the great Joe Douglas is doing is somehow "offensive" or "doom and gloom"   I don't dislike JD, I just know little about him....we'll find out a lot this year.

Look this was literally the worst ranked offense in the NFL last year...

To date, we've done very little to upgrade it, if at all.

I am NOT saying the team can't get better or won't get better but just that it hasn't - so far JD has been reluctant to pay for quality talent, I'm sure he has his reasons.  So i will hold out judgement until I see the final products.  You guys should do the same and not anoint the guy our saviour until he's actually done something beyond signing a series of JAG's to one year deals.

I agree, there's still plenty of time but why does everyone seem to get angry when I simply point out the obvious facts.

I've so far not said a thing about JD - until we see how his actions play out on the field then calling him a savior or a clown is pretty pointless, IMHO. If the guys he signed / drafts play well, he'll be lauded, and if not he'll be ripped for it. I'm very much in the "wait and see" camp, though I tend to try to stay hopeful rather than writing things off before a ball is snapped, so I'll try to look for the positives in each move rather than the negatives.

I think too often individuals get locked in on one guy or one approach as being "the only solution" - sign Conklin, must keep Robbie, draft a WR, whatever. When that doesn't happen they're so certain  it's wrong. Just like all the fan theories about upcoming movies / TV shows, and how the director "got it wrong" because he did something different than what some guy on the internet wanted.

• Upvote 3

It's nearly impossible to be the worst offense two years in a row so I would bet against it.  However, the moves made this offseason does not make me think they will be far from it.  Even if they go WR with the 1st round pick how much of a difference can that make?  Right now, I'd say they will finish between 25-30 unless Sam takes a drastic step forward.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Show me where he's wrong?

I'm not happy about it, I'm exceptionally frustrated by it...but is he wrong?

Ill make you the same offer I made the OP.  Do you want to wager on whether we have the worst offense in the league in 2020, assuming they play the season?

9 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Ill make you the same offer I made the OP.  Do you want to wager on whether we have the worst offense in the league in 2020, assuming they play the season?

Too early to tell right now - that’s the point.  But as of right now, if we don’t have the least offensive talent in the league it’s pretty darn close.

Things can certainly change - but we shouldn’t be pretending like we’ve already done something that’s upgraded the overall offensive talent.  We haven’t.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Too early to tell right now - that’s the point.  But as of right now, if we don’t have the least offensive talent in the league it’s pretty darn close.

Things can certainly change - but we shouldn’t be pretending like we’ve already done something that’s upgraded the overall offensive talent.  We haven’t.

Why dont you wait before passing judgment then?  We still have the rest of FA and the draft.  Nobody is saying you have to be positive but you seem to be unfairly negative about everything 

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

come on sar tell me what offense will be worse-

It's a valid question, but an invalid time.  Ask me again in June when FA and the draft are over. 

Right now, we need WR#1, WR#2, LT.  We can get that in the draft.  QB#2.  We can get that in FA.  We have talent at TE#1, TE#2, RB#1, and most importantly QB#1. 

Work in progress.  JD has had a good first few weeks of FA.  Draft around the corner.  Chill.

SAR I

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

i guess last season's last 8 record was a mirage.  that was with substantially worse offense and defensive talent (this assumes some a good draft and filling the positions that remain.).

The Jets last season had one of the easiest strength of schedules out of all the NFL teams. They jump to second hardest this year.

15 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The OP is clearly exaggerating the Jets situation.

But the Jets were a bottom 5 offense last year. So far they've added a couple solid offensive lineman, and made a lateral move at WR. It's not out of the realm of possibility that our offense is one of the worst in the league again in this upcoming season. 

STOP THE MADNESS.  NEWS FLASH!  THE JETS WERE INJURED THIS YEAR.  YET...

Jets won 5 straight games at home and have established a strong advantage. 

Jets had a Top 10 QB the final 8 games.  15 TD's, 4 INT's, 93.3 QBR.

Jets scored on their opening drive 4 times this season. 

Jets scored 34 points in three consecutive games this season.

Jets beat contenders like Dallas, Oakland, and Pittsburgh this year, and Buffalo twice (really).

THIS IS NOT A BAD OFFENSE.  THE NEW OL SHOULD FIX THE RB AND THE QB.  ITS A DEEP WR DRAFT.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The OP is clearly exaggerating the Jets situation.

But the Jets were a bottom 5 offense last year. So far they've added a couple solid offensive lineman, and made a lateral move at WR. It's not out of the realm of possibility that our offense is one of the worst in the league again in this upcoming season. 

nobody gained fewer yards.

2nd last in team O DVOA

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

STOP THE MADNESS.  NEWS FLASH!  THE JETS WERE INJURED THIS YEAR.  YET...

Jets won 5 straight games at home and have established a strong advantage. 

Jets scored on their opening drive 4 times this season. 

Jets scored 34 points in three consecutive games this season.

Jets beat contenders like Dallas, Oakland, and Pittsburgh this year, and Buffalo twice (really).

THIS IS NOT A BAD OFFENSE.  THE NEW OL SHOULD FIX THE RB AND THE QB.  ITS A DEEP WR DRAFT.

SAR I

It's not madness. They were terrible offensively last year. That is a fact. Yes Darnold missed 3 games but that isn't an excuse to be so bad. He played in 13 of them. News flash, the Jets aren't the only team that deals with injuries.

I pointed out that we signed a coupe of good lineman which should help. But that isn't going to fix all of our problems. Would you really be surprised if the Jets were terrible on offense again this year?

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

There is still work  to be done. We need 1 OT and 1/2 WRs. I think everybody needs to come to the understanding that Quincy is under contract and will line up at WR this year - even if it's just for a few games.

If Joe Dougie traded a 3 for Trent Williams and locked in Jerry Jeudy at #11, is this still the worst offense in the league? Not even remotely close IMO

Herndon coming back

(OBJ ? )

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If its too early to tell, then why take " the sky is falling" approach?  Wait till the FA period and draft are over then we can re assess the holes and see how we are looking.  

As others have mentioned , we won 7 games last year and played 3 without a starting QB.  Another year in the same system with some better health and some offensive line improvements might surprise you.  Darnold should continue to improve and that in itself may be worth more than any other team upgrade.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Herndon coming back

(OBJ ? )

Sure...

Get OBJ, sign Peters - and draft OT, WR, WR, RB...

and yes - then we have something to talk about it.  Something to be excited about.

But based on everything we’ve seen from JD does anyone really believe OBJ or Peters is coming here?

The Draft - we really have no idea where his head is.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

just a suggestion 93.3 was his qb rating...(scale form 0-158.3)   not his QBR   whcih is a 0-100 scale.....

his QBR over his last 8 was 52.4...   which woulda made him about middle of the pack

still significantly lower than Fitz for the whole year (66.5)

if he;s not at least 60 , that means, to me, that he was way overdrafted

btw- I believe we will not be throwing deep much at all. 

Bell and Crowder will still get more touches than Perriman and the next WR....

25 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Absolutely. I saw that on Football Outsiders. It's fair to have legit concerns about how much better we have really gotten so far this off season. 

i'd imagine we'll be getting 4 -4.5 ypc from bell and a biyt more consisetnt with the small to medium passes, and myabe Sam actaully making a few plays with his feet, and so better at 3rd down , more FDs... 

as for PLAYMAKING offense...   i dunno...    we can still hope

14 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

If its too early to tell, then why take " the sky is falling" approach?  Wait till the FA period and draft are over then we can re assess the holes and see how we are looking.  

As others have mentioned , we won 7 games last year and played 3 without a starting QB.  Another year in the same system with some better health and some offensive line improvements might surprise you.  Darnold should continue to improve and that in itself may be worth more than any other team upgrade.

I’m not taking a sky is falling approach, just a realistic one.  At this point, in the aggregate, this offense is flatd-to-worse.   People are acting like we’ve heavily upgraded.  We haven’t.  That’s all I’m trying to say.

As for last year - come on...you watched them play - the offense was horrible down the stretch - they won because the defense basically shut down some really bad teams.  And you know that!

Frankly, I’m bullish on the defense getting better and playing well.

The offensive talent still needs a lot of work.  Sam is the man but he needs time and weapons....Right now, IMO, we’re worse off than before FA started.  That’s concerning to me.  I am still optimistic we can pull off a couple of nice moves.

Is that sky is falling? 

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

the jets will have the worst offense in the league this upcoming season unless Sam becomes the first qb that can block defensive players with one hand while holding the ball in the other then he will have to throw the ball really high and far and then run down and catch it himself. Thankfully for Sam he has a genius coach in Gase that can scheme for such a system. Gase is a pioneer like Bill Walsh but better.

The Jets will have the worst offensive roster in the NFL and the worst coach coaching them-what could possibly go wrong?

On the plus side this will be the last season we get to see or hear Gase on the jets sideline.

I feel bad for Sam-it is him and bell and that is it and his coach does not know how to use bell properly

I know I should not be so negative the Jets have the draft to build the team with . I mean I understand they have not had a good draft in years but they will some how find a top tackle and three stud wrs in the draft and a guard or two as well.

Are you this quick in the sack?  Jesus Christ, free agency and the draft aren't even over yet.  Beyond that, there hasn't even been a practice or game yet.  Take a FUC**ng chill pill!

9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

just a suggestion 93.3 was his qb rating...(scale form 0-158.3)   not his QBR   whcih is a 0-100 scale.....

his QBR over his last 8 was 52.4...   which woulda made him about middle of the pack

still significantly lower than Fitz for the whole year (66.5)

if he;s not at least 60 , that means, to me, that he was way overdrafted

btw- I believe we will not be throwing deep much at all. 

Bell and Crowder will still get more touches than Perriman and the next WR....

In Sam’s defense - you could put Joe Montana behind that OL and put out those weapons and he wouldn’t have a QBR in the top 10.

If you watched the games, as I imagine you did, you wouldn’t be using the words “way overdrafted”  while using QBR or Rating metrics to make that determination.  

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Good post..

A little harsh but unfortunately pretty accurate.  This offense is lacking in talent above the JAG level everywhere except QB - and there’s simply only so much Darnold can do.

Yes, the draft does offer opportunity and hopefully we nail it with the 4 picks in the top 100 - but that’s a whole lot of wishful thinking. 

I agree + the fact the offensive genius that Gase is....the rankings olny show that as being more likely then a boom season where we become a top 10 offense

• Upvote 1