Jump to content
HawkeyeJet

Interesting tidbit from McGovern conference call

Recommended Posts

He played Center all last year why would they tell him guard? Unless I’m thinking of someone else.

But either way I think you can see with the type of OL, they want flexibility to move guys around and put together the best combo possible. 

They’re doing calls with most of the free agent signings today. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He played Center all last year why would they tell him guard? Unless I’m thinking of someone else.

But either way I think you can see with the type of OL, they want flexibility to move guys around and put together the best combo possible. 

They’re doing calls with most of the free agent signings today. 

I meant to say haven't told him he's cemented at Center.  Corrected in initial post.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be pretty surprised if the didn't go with him at Center but I love the mindset. Douglas is going to get a bunch of OL and the best combination of 5 will likely start regardless of the position they are currently listed at.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just think it’s cool that he’ll play either position and his ego isn’t getting in the way. I don’t know if they’ll be a good offensive line, but they’re already pretty likeable. Douglas isn’t bringing in any assholes yet.

Gotta be better you would think 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He played Center all last year why would they tell him guard? Unless I’m thinking of someone else.

But either way I think you can see with the type of OL, they want flexibility to move guys around and put together the best combo possible. 

They’re doing calls with most of the free agent signings today. 

Apparently he's a better guard than center.   Best to place him at his optimal position.   LT (1 of 4),  G McGovern, C (3rd rounder), G Lewis, RT Fant.

Two rookies but they should be plug and play prospects.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

tidbits are my language of love

That and evaluating the relative skills of muscular men that are oftentimes shirtless during said analysis.

@joewilly12

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just think it’s cool that he’ll play either position and his ego isn’t getting in the way. I don’t know if they’ll be a good offensive line, but they’re already pretty likeable. Douglas isn’t bringing in any assholes yet.

You always need one a$$hole though

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That and evaluating the relative skills of muscular men that are oftentimes shirtless during said analysis.

careful with my loins, friend. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

You always need one a$$hole though

We already have Jamal Adams.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Apparently McGovern is doing a conference call right now.  Came across this quote from Twitter.  Very interesting to me that he says Center or Guard, likely meaning the Jets haven't told him he's cemented at Center yet.  I thought this may have been a possibility since he signed that wasn't talked about.  I think drafting a Center in Rd 2 or 3 might still be an option, with McGovern and Van Rotne at G.

It's entirely possible I'm reading too much into it though 

 

Douglas stressed OLine flexibility in his presser.  So if we select one
of the top centers (Ruiz, Biadasz) you would probably see McGovern bounce
to G and Winters, Lewis and Van Roten battle for the other spot

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Man, I am liking the versatility of our interior OL.

If they draft a center and move McGovern to guard its pretty likely that Harrison and/or Winters is a Training camp cut.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That's what I would hope every player would feel.  Play where you can help the team the most.  But I get that certain positions are more valuable in terms of future salary and that creates a potential conflict.  I think we're seeing that with Fant.  He seems determined to only play LT, which means if we feel we need to move him over to the right side, he may be unhappy.  

Bottom line, I'm hopeful that wherever McGovern plays, he proves to be a material upgrade over what we had there last year.  We just need one of our IOL to be a good Center.  

I thought the same thing, and was shocked to see the actual top earnings for LT vs RT

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/left-tackle/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/right-tackle/

 

The blindside has a higher earning average, but the top two earners are on the right side (ok, Trenton Brown second highest paid RT makes the SAME as the top paid LT, Anthony Costonzo, but he JUST signed his new contract on the verge of retiring.  Either way, its still interesting)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

Apparently he's a better guard than center.   Best to place him at his optimal position.   LT (1 of 4),  G McGovern, C (3rd rounder), G Lewis, RT Fant.

Two rookies but they should be plug and play prospects.  

Top 10 center.  But versatility is paramount.  Allows flexibility, adaptability, etc etc

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

isn't the whole point of the team to put the right players in the right position?  if macgovern can play center and guard and harrison can only play center would it make any sense to play harrison at guard and macgovern at center?  extreme example but the answer is no.  right now the jets have a number of guys who can play on the interior of the oline not so much at the tackle spot.  they'll pick the best guys for those positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just think it’s cool that he’ll play either position and his ego isn’t getting in the way. I don’t know if they’ll be a good offensive line, but they’re already pretty likeable. Douglas isn’t bringing in any assholes yet.

 

 

 

F360A0EE-CFDC-4CB4-B6B2-31DAA101B76E.jpeg

34BF1960-13AD-4FBB-8532-A4B345B0EC74.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

isn't the whole point of the team to put the right players in the right position?  if macgovern can play center and guard and harrison can only play center would it make any sense to play harrison at guard and macgovern at center?  extreme example but the answer is no.  right now the jets have a number of guys who can play on the interior of the oline not so much at the tackle spot.  they'll pick the best guys for those positions.

Wonder if a guy like Ruiz drops to #48 if he would be in consideration for us?  If we draft another IOL to start, we will actually have a logjam there, and would almost certainly have to cut Winters or one of the other Guards.  I think you can probably grab one in the 3rd round (Cushenberry, Biadasz, Hennessy or Jackson) so I'd rather stick to WR/OT at that point but it would be a nice problem to have too many decent players for a change.  But oh man, OT is still paper-thin.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

We need more linemen that can do this...

 

And pee in womens' public bathroom sinks when drunk.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

And pee in womens' public bathroom sinks when drunk.

I never heard of it. That's a good thing that the internet was at its earliest stage when it happened.  Everything gets pussyfied nowadays. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

         Offensive Line flexibility   

George Fant: LT, RT, Swing Tackle, 6OL/power-TE

Alex Lewis: LG, RG, RT

Connor McGovern: C, RG, MMA fighter

Greg Van Roten: LG, RG

Josh Anderson: LG, C, RG

Chuma Edoga: RT, LT, Swing Tackle

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

         Offensive Line flexibility   

George Fant: LT, RT, Swing Tackle, 6OL/power-TE

Alex Lewis: LG, RG, RT

Connor McGovern: C, RG, MMA fighter

Greg Van Roten: LG, RG

Josh Anderson: LG, C, RG

Chuma Edoga: RT, LT, Swing Tackle

Add in Jonotthan Harrison: C, LG

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lewis and Van Roten both signed new deals with the Jets this year with the difference being that Lewis is getting paid more. I don't understand how people keep penciling in Lewis as GVR's backup. 

McGovern performed better as a center than a guard, and I'd think they'd want to keep him there with his versatility coming into play if either guard got hurt and Harrison was considered the next best OL despite only be useful at C. 

Joe D did more work on the interior of the OL than anywhere else. Considering the blinding needs at OT, WR, CB, and Edge, I suspect that he won't be drafting any interior OL before the fifth or sixth round unless a prospect that's there is so clearly superior. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Wonder if a guy like Ruiz drops to #48 if he would be in consideration for us?  If we draft another IOL to start, we will actually have a logjam there, and would almost certainly have to cut Winters or one of the other Guards.  I think you can probably grab one in the 3rd round (Cushenberry, Biadasz, Hennessy or Jackson) so I'd rather stick to WR/OT at that point but it would be a nice problem to have too many decent players for a change.  But oh man, OT is still paper-thin.

yep.  it's going to get pretty interesting but at least the have enough interior guys and won't have use a draft pick on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NYJets8 said:

Top 10 center.  But versatility is paramount.  Allows flexibility, adaptability, etc etc

And he's considered a better guard! JD struck gold here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Apparently he's a better guard than center.   Best to place him at his optimal position.   LT (1 of 4),  G McGovern, C (3rd rounder), G Lewis, RT Fant.

Two rookies but they should be plug and play prospects.  

Lewis starts over Van Roten or Winters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...