Interesting tidbit from McGovern conference call

Apparently McGovern is doing a conference call right now.  Came across this quote from Twitter.  Very interesting to me that he says Center or Guard, likely meaning the Jets haven't told him he's cemented at Center yet.  I thought this may have been a possibility since he signed that wasn't talked about.  I think drafting a Center in Rd 2 or 3 might still be an option, with McGovern and Van Rotne at G.

It's entirely possible I'm reading too much into it though 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He played Center all last year why would they tell him guard? Unless I’m thinking of someone else.

But either way I think you can see with the type of OL, they want flexibility to move guys around and put together the best combo possible. 

They’re doing calls with most of the free agent signings today. 

I meant to say haven't told him he's cemented at Center.  Corrected in initial post.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just think it’s cool that he’ll play either position and his ego isn’t getting in the way. I don’t know if they’ll be a good offensive line, but they’re already pretty likeable. Douglas isn’t bringing in any assholes yet.

Gotta be better you would think 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He played Center all last year why would they tell him guard? Unless I’m thinking of someone else.

But either way I think you can see with the type of OL, they want flexibility to move guys around and put together the best combo possible. 

They’re doing calls with most of the free agent signings today. 

Apparently he's a better guard than center.   Best to place him at his optimal position.   LT (1 of 4),  G McGovern, C (3rd rounder), G Lewis, RT Fant.

Two rookies but they should be plug and play prospects.  

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just think it’s cool that he’ll play either position and his ego isn’t getting in the way. I don’t know if they’ll be a good offensive line, but they’re already pretty likeable. Douglas isn’t bringing in any assholes yet.

You always need one a$$hole though

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Apparently McGovern is doing a conference call right now.  Came across this quote from Twitter.  Very interesting to me that he says Center or Guard, likely meaning the Jets haven't told him he's cemented at Center yet.  I thought this may have been a possibility since he signed that wasn't talked about.  I think drafting a Center in Rd 2 or 3 might still be an option, with McGovern and Van Rotne at G.

It's entirely possible I'm reading too much into it though 

Douglas stressed OLine flexibility in his presser.  So if we select one
of the top centers (Ruiz, Biadasz) you would probably see McGovern bounce
to G and Winters, Lewis and Van Roten battle for the other spot

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That's what I would hope every player would feel.  Play where you can help the team the most.  But I get that certain positions are more valuable in terms of future salary and that creates a potential conflict.  I think we're seeing that with Fant.  He seems determined to only play LT, which means if we feel we need to move him over to the right side, he may be unhappy.  

Bottom line, I'm hopeful that wherever McGovern plays, he proves to be a material upgrade over what we had there last year.  We just need one of our IOL to be a good Center.  

I thought the same thing, and was shocked to see the actual top earnings for LT vs RT

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/left-tackle/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/right-tackle/

The blindside has a higher earning average, but the top two earners are on the right side (ok, Trenton Brown second highest paid RT makes the SAME as the top paid LT, Anthony Costonzo, but he JUST signed his new contract on the verge of retiring.  Either way, its still interesting)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

Apparently he's a better guard than center.   Best to place him at his optimal position.   LT (1 of 4),  G McGovern, C (3rd rounder), G Lewis, RT Fant.

Top 10 center.  But versatility is paramount.  Allows flexibility, adaptability, etc etc

• Upvote 1

isn't the whole point of the team to put the right players in the right position?  if macgovern can play center and guard and harrison can only play center would it make any sense to play harrison at guard and macgovern at center?  extreme example but the answer is no.  right now the jets have a number of guys who can play on the interior of the oline not so much at the tackle spot.  they'll pick the best guys for those positions.

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

F360A0EE-CFDC-4CB4-B6B2-31DAA101B76E.jpeg

34BF1960-13AD-4FBB-8532-A4B345B0EC74.jpeg

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

isn't the whole point of the team to put the right players in the right position?  if macgovern can play center and guard and harrison can only play center would it make any sense to play harrison at guard and macgovern at center?  extreme example but the answer is no.  right now the jets have a number of guys who can play on the interior of the oline not so much at the tackle spot.  they'll pick the best guys for those positions.

Wonder if a guy like Ruiz drops to #48 if he would be in consideration for us?  If we draft another IOL to start, we will actually have a logjam there, and would almost certainly have to cut Winters or one of the other Guards.  I think you can probably grab one in the 3rd round (Cushenberry, Biadasz, Hennessy or Jackson) so I'd rather stick to WR/OT at that point but it would be a nice problem to have too many decent players for a change.  But oh man, OT is still paper-thin.

• Upvote 2

Offensive Line flexibility   

George Fant: LT, RT, Swing Tackle, 6OL/power-TE

Alex Lewis: LG, RG, RT

Connor McGovern: C, RG, MMA fighter

Greg Van Roten: LG, RG

Josh Anderson: LG, C, RG

Chuma Edoga: RT, LT, Swing Tackle

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Offensive Line flexibility   

George Fant: LT, RT, Swing Tackle, 6OL/power-TE

Alex Lewis: LG, RG, RT

Connor McGovern: C, RG, MMA fighter

Greg Van Roten: LG, RG

Josh Anderson: LG, C, RG

Chuma Edoga: RT, LT, Swing Tackle

Add in Jonotthan Harrison: C, LG

• Upvote 1

Lewis and Van Roten both signed new deals with the Jets this year with the difference being that Lewis is getting paid more. I don't understand how people keep penciling in Lewis as GVR's backup. 

McGovern performed better as a center than a guard, and I'd think they'd want to keep him there with his versatility coming into play if either guard got hurt and Harrison was considered the next best OL despite only be useful at C. 

Joe D did more work on the interior of the OL than anywhere else. Considering the blinding needs at OT, WR, CB, and Edge, I suspect that he won't be drafting any interior OL before the fifth or sixth round unless a prospect that's there is so clearly superior. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Wonder if a guy like Ruiz drops to #48 if he would be in consideration for us?  If we draft another IOL to start, we will actually have a logjam there, and would almost certainly have to cut Winters or one of the other Guards.  I think you can probably grab one in the 3rd round (Cushenberry, Biadasz, Hennessy or Jackson) so I'd rather stick to WR/OT at that point but it would be a nice problem to have too many decent players for a change.  But oh man, OT is still paper-thin.

yep.  it's going to get pretty interesting but at least the have enough interior guys and won't have use a draft pick on them.

20 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Lewis starts over Van Roten or Winters?