OBJ update

26 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Clearly if the compensation is reasonable for us then that isn’t really a concern at all. Cap space? ..there’s a million and one ways to clear 13 or whatever the difference in 13 and what we already have is.

Not interested, never am a fan of bringing in other teams problems.  Cant agree here

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am confused by the QBR ratings myself...my football knowledge really extends to can the guy throw the ball and can the other guy catch it?

Also I am not busting on Baker, I like him and think that he is going to have a huge BOUNCE BACK season, if there is a season.  I just think that Sam has a chance to be a good QB as well.

QBR is an ESPN-invented stat.  QB Rating is the NFL official stat.  Both are flawed and not particularly useful in comparing QBs of different styles (e.g. high-efficiency vs. mad bomber) but I tend to ignore all things ESPN so I believe I posted the QB rating stat.  There's a lot written about both stats but here is how the QB Rating (aka Passer Rating) is determined:

The NFL passer rating formula includes four variables: completion percentage, yards per attempt, touchdowns per attempt, and interceptions per attempt.  The QBR stat tries to take situational conditions for each play into consideration.  Bold but challenging.  In any case, there's an eyeball component to all this.  When Baker came in against us in 2018 for the first time he looked like a super-charged Chad Pennington.  Efficiently sliced us up.  He did that a lot over the rest of that season.  Last season, not so much.  

Meanwhile, Sam is very Jekyll/Hyde.  Some games you just want to fap to.  Others you want to crap to.  I'm hoping with a little more to work with, he will get more consistent and be worthy of the #3 pick.  

In all honesty, I would not swap Sam for Baker or Josh Allen.  Mahomes is the only no-brainer out there and with Watson and Lamar its pretty close for me.  This is entirely subjective based on what I see and what I think is the upside.  YMMV.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

In all seriousness, when @nycdan left that post, it made me wonder, how do they figure out those QBR ratings?

I'm almost positive Mayfield was 19th last year, and Darnold was 25th.  Seems a little out of whack...

Yeah, that's by the ESPN QBR rankings.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Here's the QB Rating rankings:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

In all seriousness, when @nycdan left that post, it made me wonder, how do they figure out those QBR ratings?

I'm almost positive Mayfield was 19th last year, and Darnold was 25th.  Seems a little out of whack...

And yet you love to use it whenever you get the chance. Presumably because it favors your boy. 

It's a bull**** ESPN secret sauce formula, IMHO. If they want it to have any validity, they should make public the criteria they use to calculate it. It's their "total" QB rating, though, and when comparing all QB stats and Passer Rating vs. QBR, it's pretty obvious that they include rushing stats to come up with their number. Sam's not a runner, and seemed even less inclined to run last year (perhaps some spleen eruption concerns). 

So Darnold was a better passer last season, but his 1.9 yards per attempt hurt his QBR. 

I'd like to see Sam tuck it and run more often when there is an opening, but I'm far more concerned with him improving as a passer. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

And yet you love to use it whenever you get the chance. Presumably because it favors your boy. 

It's a bull**** ESPN secret sauce formula, IMHO. If they want it to have any validity, they should make public the criteria they use to calculate it. It's their "total" QB rating, though, and when comparing all QB stats and Passer Rating vs. QBR, it's pretty obvious that they include rushing stats to come up with their number. Sam's not a runner, and seemed even less inclined to run last year (perhaps some spleen eruption concerns). 

So Darnold was a better passer last season, but his 1.9 yards per attempt hurt his QBR. 

I'd like to see Sam tuck it and run more often when there is an opening, but I'm far more concerned with him improving as a passer. 

Total agreement.

This, to me, is why Mahomes is fast becoming the best QB I have ever seen play (IMO).  He's unquestionably the best passer in the league, and maybe the best we've seen in a long time, but he will absolutely tuck it in and run with it if that's what the field is telling him to do.  And he's successful when he runs.  Maybe a lot of it is the team around him, but the guy is just incredibly fun to watch.  

Like I said, with a decent OLine and some better receivers around him, along with better spleen health, we may see a very different-looking Darnold next season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Reminds me of when Le'Veon Bell told the world he wouldn't sign for NYJ for $100,000,000. 

The quote was $60m but to be fair I think if you had put any team for $60m he would have said that. Jets are just fun to rag on so the guy filming him picked them.

No way to Beckham. Sorry. I actually think we can build a good locker room and that doesn’t meant it has to be all choir boys. It just can’t be d bag p*ssy divas like O’Dell. F*ck him. Use that draft capital that a trade would cost on OL and WR. It’s not hard. Spend the extra cap on resigning our players on 1 year deals that will stick around as well as more value free agents next year. 

• Upvote 1

Watkins, Evans & OBJ went in that draft, that order.

Watkins has a SB ring and Evans is a recruiting tool for TB.  

OBJ is on his second team, on the block for the 2nd time.  His first team, faced with developing a young QB dumped him for less than his value to keep him far away.  

Its not by accident

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Toon is number 1 in my heart, but OBJ is more talented.

Maynard was awesome for his time, but who knows how he stacks up athletically against today's athletes? 

Toon was more versatile - he was tall so he created mismatches based on his speed and height. OBJ is not tall and Toon had better hands IMO, although both are good. Toon was also fearless, which hastened his retirement after being led over the middle way too many times by Kenny O.

44 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yeah, that's by the ESPN QBR rankings.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Here's the QB Rating rankings:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

Did I read thebottom one correctly? 

They have Mayfield ranked 10th, Trubisky 12th, and Darnold 25th? That's even more strange...

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Did I read thebottom one correctly? 

They have Mayfield ranked 10th, Trubisky 12th, and Darnold 25th? That's even more strange...

In attempts. 

No great accomplishment, but Sam is on top in passer rating. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Since Sam isn’t, it may actually work. If it’s not coat  prohibitive I would pull the trigger. We draft O line early, then draft  couple WO in this deep draft to add to Beckham.  Our offensive could turn into a force of nature  over draft weekend. 

OBJ is pretty much a douche bag so I’m not sure he’d work on any team especially one in the bottom half. 

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

OBJ is pretty much a douche bag so I’m not sure he’d work on any team especially one in the bottom half. 

It’s worth the risk if we can build the O line. Our receiving core is void of any player that scares anyone. OBJ might be a douche but I think he has some really  good football left in him. I’d do it. 

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OBJ is on his second team, on the block for the 2nd time.  His first team, faced with developing a young QB dumped him for less than his value to keep him far away.  

Its not by accident

Yeah

If you were to ask me "Would I give up a 2nd for the talent OBJ has?"  It would be "YEAH, in a heart beat"

When you look at the fact that as talented as OBJ is, he can't stay on a team.  Something is wrong there.

Darnold is having some issues himself, but he is only 22.  I really have to turn down the talent, which sucks, before I let OBJ cause problems on the team.

Hate to say it, but I'd have to pass

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

In attempts. 

No great accomplishment, but Sam is on top in passer rating. 

Ahh, I knew I couldn't have read it correctly.

I love Baker, but both he and Sam weren't very good last year. They both need to step it up. Third year, they're going to be vets now. There comes a point, and they're both getting close to reaching it, where you are what you are. Just because you're on a bad team, that doesn't mean you're actually a good QB on a bad team, it could just mean you aren't good.

We shall see...

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

"boiling point"  "not a good fit with Mayfield"

THis sounds like he will be dealt for bargain prices.  But nothing will shock me more than Houston letting Nuke go for a 2nd & David Johnson.  If that's the standard for disgruntled stars, then OBJ is worth a 3rd

I called my guy at the Jets who originally told me about the potential for a Jets trade. He's been remarkably quiet of late lol 

He told me there has been absolutely nothing since he heard that whisper. So I don't know if that's good or bad but it doesn't seem like they're talking about it over Zoom with the staffers at least. hahaha :-) 

I got nothing. 

I have nothing. Absolutely nothing to sell

---- History of the world Part 1

I'd do it for a 21 2nd and a late pick this year. He's a true WR1, already leaked he wants to come here and fills a gigantic need! He's not the perfect player by any means but the bottom line is we need to add good football players to this team ASAP. If he can be had without surrendering any high draft capital this year it's something we should strongly consider. You snag an OT at 11, Higgins/Pittman/Laviska/Hamler at 48 + OBJ our offense is already miles ahead of anything Sams played with. We should be all over an OBJ or Trent Williams-like trade in the next few days here if their being reasonable 

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

I don't know, I could probably forgive OBJ if he hauls in a TD pass from Sammy & feign pees on the Patriots Goal post in a 35-7 romp.

OBJ would have to actually piss on Belichick and Kraft before I'd forgive that turd.

Trading for him is not the way to build a team. This draft is very deep at WR and we'll be able to pick up two good ones on day 2. Guys on low cost rookie deals willing to do whatever it takes to help the team is the way to go.

The Jets don't need an ego maniac bitching to the press that's he's not being targeted enough and setting a bad example for the young guys.

12 hours ago, CSNY said:

That’s fine if they want to act like jerks that’s there prerogative. They way to stop all that nonsense is to physically beat them to the point of they don’t want to play anymore. Getting on all fours and feign peeing doesn’t achieve a dam thing except making yourself look like a jerk. Same as using the football to feign wiping your ass. You want Edelman to stop you pop em with a clean hit to the ribs repeatedly so he gets alligator arms. Impose your will on them Beat em and bloody em and that BS stops and if it doesn’t you beat em and bloody em some more maybe then they get the picture doing this all within the parameters of the game no cheap shots 

Payback is a bitch. The Jets will be kicking the crap out of the cheats* starting next season and will continue to stomp them for years.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Its not by accident

imagine using the browns as the reason to do or not do anything . and Watkins is on his 3rd team what does that say about him? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

OBJ would have to actually piss on Belichick and Kraft before I'd forgive that turd.

Trading for him is not the way to build a team. This draft is very deep at WR and we'll be able to pick up two good ones on day 2. Guys on low cost rookie deals willing to do whatever it takes to help the team is the way to go.

The Jets don't need an ego maniac bitching to the press that's he's not being targeted enough and setting a bad example for the young guys.

the need more guys with broken necks bitching to media.. because the jets didn't support there  unauthorized day off.. 

• Upvote 1

Jets currently have 1 of the worst, if not the worst, WR/TE  corps in the entire league. There isnt even a #2 receiver on this team, let alone a #1.

If not OBJ, they better find another pro-bowl veteran WR. And they still have to draft another 1 or 2 WR/TE in the draft.

Current roster situation is just setting up Darnold to fail. Even if they draft a good WR at #11, the overall corps is barely above average unless they add a proven veteran. 

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It’s worth the risk if we can build the O line. Our receiving core is void of any player that scares anyone. OBJ might be a douche but I think he has some really  good football left in him. I’d do it. 

OBJ could be our Moss when he went to the Patriots. OBJ is a douche, so was Moss, but going on his 3rd team, seemingly wanting to be back in New York + all the grief he got from Giants fans (and rightly so), doesn't it just seem like he's looking for redemption? 

In sports, how do you get redemption? By going to the Big City & balling out is how & all these guys know this. Anyone who believes that OBJ wouldn't want to come back to New York and be part of a New York Jets revival to win the AFC East & get back into the playoffs is crazy. You win by having above average players at important positions. Anyone who believes the Patriots & Belichick win 6 Super Bowls WITHOUT Tom Brady are idiots. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

OBJ could be our Moss when he went to the Patriots. OBJ is a douche, so was Moss, but going on his 3rd team, seemingly wanting to be back in New York + all the grief he got from Giants fans (and rightly so), doesn't it just seem like he's looking for redemption? 

In sports, how do you get redemption? By going to the Big City & balling out is how & all these guys know this. Anyone who believes that OBJ wouldn't want to come back to New York and be part of a New York Jets revival to win the AFC East & get back into the playoffs is crazy. You win by having above average players at important positions. Anyone who believes the Patriots & Belichick win 6 Super Bowls WITHOUT Tom Brady are idiots. 

Our receiving core is beyond pedestrian. Our O Line may  not have a single guy that would be a shoe in starter on another team. So picking up OBJ let’s us bolster the line even further. We have a QB that could be very good going into his third year but has looked pretty awful in my opinion. OBJ needs a job and a home, we need some production on offense. It’s well worth the risk. I agree with you. 

• Upvote 2