What was the greatest post-merger (1970) draft pick in Jets history?

What was the greatest post-merger (1970) Jets draft pick in franchise history?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What was the greatest post-merger (1970) Jets draft pick in franchise history?

• C Joe Fields (Rd 14, # 349 overall - 1975)
    • DL Joe Klecko (Rd 6, # 144 overall - 1977)
    • LB Mo Lewis (Rd 3, # 63 overall - 1991)
    • DE Mark Gastineau (Rd 2, # 41 overall - 1979)
    • LB David Harris (Rd 2, # 47 overall - 2007)
    • CB Darrelle Revis (Rd 1, # 14 overall - 2007)
    • DE John Abraham (Rd 1, # 13 overall - 2000)
    • FB/RB John Riggins (Rd 1, # 6 overall - 1971)
    • CB James Hasty (Rd 3, # 74 overall - 1988)
    • RT Marvin Powell (Rd 1, # 4 overall - 1977)
    • WR Wesley Walker (Rd 2, # 33 overall - 1977)
    • G Dan Alexander (Rd 8, # 200 overall - 1977)
    • WR Laveranues Coles (Rd 3, # 78 overall - 2000)
    • C Nick Mangold (Rd 1, # 29 overall - 2006)
    • DE Hugh Douglas (Rd 1, # 16 overall - 1995)
    • CB Aaron Glenn (Rd 1, # 12 overall - 1994)
    • OTHER

The contenders:

• C Joe Fields (Rd 14, # 349 overall - 1975):  Spent the first 13 of his 14-year career as a Jet (155 starts).  2x Pro Bowler, 1x First Team All-Pro.
  • DL Joe Klecko (Rd 6, # 144 overall - 1977):  Spent the first 11 years of his 12-year career as a Jet (145 starts).  4x Pro Bowler, 2x First Team All-Pro.
  • LB Mo Lewis (Rd 3, # 63 overall - 1991):  Spent his entire 13-year career as a Jet (199 starts).  3x Pro Bowler, 1x First Team All-Pro.
  • DE Mark Gastineau (Rd 2, # 41 overall - 1979):  Spent his entire 10-year career as a Jet (107 starts).  5x Pro Bowler, 3x First Team All-Pro.
  • LB David Harris (Rd 2, # 47 overall - 2007):  Spent the first 10 years of his 11-year career as a Jet (147 starts).  No Pro Bowl or First Team All-Pro appearances.
  • CB Darrelle Revis (Rd 1, # 14 overall - 2007):  Spent 8 seasons of 11 year-career as a Jet (108 starts).  5x Pro Bowler, 3x First Team All-Pro.
  • DE John Abraham (Rd 1, # 13 overall - 2000):  Spent 6 seasons of his 15-year career as a Jet (64 starts).  3x Pro Bowler, 1x First Team All-Pro.
  • FB/RB John Riggins (Rd 1, # 6 overall - 1971):  Spent 5 seasons of his 14-year career as a Jet (58 starts).  1x Pro Bowler.
  • CB James Hasty (Rd 3, # 74 overall - 1988):  Spent 7 seasons of his 14-year career as a Jet (111 starts).  No Pro Bowl or First Team All-Pro appearances as a Jet.
  • RT Marvin Powell (Rd 1, # 4 overall - 1977):  Spent 9 seasons of his 11-year career as a Jet (130 starts).  5x Pro Bowler, 3x First Team All-Pro.
  • WR Wesley Walker (Rd 2, # 33 overall - 1977):  Spent his full 13-year career as a Jet (129 starts).  2x Pro Bowler, 1x First Team All-Pro.
  • G Dan Alexander (Rd 8, # 200 overall - 1977):  Spent his full 13-year career as a Jet (183 starts).  No Pro Bowl or First Team All-Pro appearances as a Jet.
  • WR Laveranues Coles (Rd 3, # 78 overall - 2000):  Spent 7 seasons of his 10-year career as a Jet (93 starts).  No Pro Bowl or First Team All-Pro appearances as a Jet.
  • C Nick Mangold (Rd 1, # 29 overall - 2006):  Spent his full 11-year career as a Jet (164 starts).  7x Pro Bowler, 2x First Team All-Pro.
  • DE Hugh Douglas (Rd 1, # 16 overall - 1995):  Spent 3 seasons of his 10-year career as a Jet (28 starts).  No Pro Bowl or First Team All-Pro appearances as a Jet.  
  • CB Aaron Glenn (Rd 1, # 14 overall - 1994):  Spent 8 seasons of his 15-year career as a Jet (120 starts).  2x Pro Bowler.

1 minute ago, ljr said:

as far as value for the pick (which makes it the greatest pick)  there is nobody close to klecko ... so the actual topic should read 2nd greatest

Beat me to it. Value wise it’s Klecko by A LOT. Best of the higher picks is Revis. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Revis is the best player but Klecko was the best value.  If Revis hung around and played a couple more really good years it would be him regardless of draft position.

Revis 2.0 s*cked b*lls ... if he'd hung around longer he'd just have cashed in his paychecks that he was stealing from us and done jack $h*t

33 minutes ago, ljr said:

as far as value for the pick (which makes it the greatest pick)  there is nobody close to klecko ... so the actual topic should read 2nd greatest

My two all time favorite Jets are Namath and Klecko. So yeah, this was an easy one.

Riggins could've been the third, but Redskins.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Revis is the best player but Klecko was the best value.  If Revis hung around and played a couple more really good years it would be him regardless of draft position.

Regardless of where they were picked Klecko was better. Unfortunately people can't see sack stats because they weren't compiled when Klecko was at his best. Easily my favorite Jets player ever.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

My two all time favorite Jets are Namath and Klecko. So yeah, this was an easy one.

Riggins could've been the third, but Redskins.

The real question is who was the Giants best pick post merger?

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Klecko was a great value but Fields in the 14th round is much better value... Coles was probably one of the best picks... Revis was probably the best player out of them all.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, RobR said:

The real question is who was the Giants best pick post merger?

The obvious answer would be Lawrence Taylor but considering they have been to 5 Super Bowls and won 4 in the last 35 years, so there are probably a bunch of other names we could discuss who were picked later than Taylor was in the draft.

Here's an idea. Why don't you grab a bag of Cheez Doodles, go watch some You Tube highlight clips, make a list, and give us one of your amateur talent scout "evaluations"? 

• Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Here's an idea. Why don't you grab a bag of Cheez Doodles, go watch some You Tube highlight clips, make a list, and give us one of your amateur talent scout "evaluations"? 

That's pretty damn funny because you always tag me when you're asking about a players potential or talking about the draft forum as a whole. You can't have it both ways.  

Just now, RobR said:

That's pretty damn funny because you always tag me when you're asking about a players potential or talking about the draft forum as a whole. You can't have it both ways.  

Sure I can...and that's what I just did there.

Now go grab the Cheeze Doodles and get to work. Those You Tube clips aren't going to watch themselves.

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

...and that's what I just did there.

Now go grab the Cheeze Doodles and get to work. Those You Tube clips aren't going to watch themselves.

You're beyond pathetic. I used to enjoy some of your posts and inquisitiveness when you started posting but now you've shown your true colors to not only myself but everyone on this board. You're basically the new Tex, and if you're wondering, that's not a compliment.