Gary Meyers reporting that Jamal and Jets have hit impass over contract, trade possible.

59 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If you look at the trends in college football defenses implemented to stop modern offenses, the position being created or added is a hybrid Safety type player who can cover multiple positions from down near the line while still provide strong run support. 

Not to make everything about Iowa, or imply they are special or know more than anyone else, but it's what I know.  I see them practice.  I see their coaches teach defense.  Within the last 3 years, Iowa has switched to a base 4-2-5 defense from a 4-3.  They stayed in their 4-3 85% of the time but we're forced to change their identity to keep up with modern football.   Iowa coaches will say without question the most important position on their defense is their "Cash" position.  The position I describe in that first paragraph.  It is the most versatile player on the field.

This position or defensive philosophy hasn't been really implemented/accepted in the NFL yet.  The NFL took awhile to accept college offense, so it's no surprise it is taking awhile for the defense to adapt.

It will adapt though, and in few years the safety position may be viewed entirely different.  The question for the Jets is are you willing to bet on that?  I can understand their reluctance.  It doesn't make sense to pay Adams based on NFL football circa 2018.  It might(and might not) make a lot of sense circa 2022.  Some NFL team will be the trail blazer to try something new on defense, that is certain though.  Whoever that team is will probably be very interested in Adams.

Owunasor and Davis can both do that hybrid nickel role

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, heymangold said:

so you'd be OK to pay an almost 30 yr old Logan Ryan to a 10M+ contract, a guy that's never made a pro bowl but is still a good, not great player to play a position he's never played before, but not sign a homegrown, 24 yr old ALL PRO?

I never said anything about paying him $10M.  I know that's what he wants, but he won't get it from JD.  

1-year deal for $7-8M would be fine as a stop-gap FS.  IF Ashtyn Davis isn't ready to be the Week 1 starter at FS.  

Btw Logan Ryan had more INT's last season (4) than Jamal has had in his career to date.

• Haha 1

I am tired of the media postulating.  You can't get this team to do what they arent planning for.  Adam's isnt being traded unless he specifically refuses to report.  You're not getting rid of Gase.  Douglas isnt going to jump the gun and sign a player he doesn't value.  Write all the garbage you want.  Theres no hit piece that will make a difference.  There's nothing in the locker room you can expose.  Darnold is booked as the week one starter and we are playing the Bills.  Outside of that.  Same ole', same ole.

Go look up old Reddit posts about I.K. punching out Geno if you want drama.

14 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Exactly. The thinking seems to be: only draft a QB, Edge, or LT with a top ten pick. Because if that player becomes a top shelf player, you don’t pay them unless they play a “premium position”. 

That’s a lot of good players being shown the door. 

It's exactly what successful franchises like the Ravens, Steelers and Patriots do all the time.  

12 minutes ago, heymangold said:

you really gotta give up the whole positional argument.  it's been busted many times before.  he's excellent in coverage and everything else that a safety does.  his role isn't to play coverage and collect interceptions.  it's to be that hybrid guy that plays the run, blitzes and go into coverage when asked.  and he's the best in the NFL at it.

He's excellent at covering most RBs and TEs.  Not WRs.  

Gregg Williams recognized this, hence why he kept him near the LOS the majority of his snaps last season.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Certainly a better strategy than paying the SS/LB hybrid who can't create turnovers $17M+ per season.  

I’m pretty sure you’ve posted “$17M+” about 100 times in the last hour. You have no basis for that. It’s a guess on your part, and repeating it over and over and over doesn’t make it reality. 

Do I think he’ll want to be the top-paid safety? Yes. But that number is currently below $15M. 

If he insists on that much higher price tag, Joe Douglas will trade him. But as you alluded to here with Robby Anderson, and we saw with Bell and Conklin, a lot of big numbers get thrown around all the time that never materialize. Adams is a very good to great player, but I don’t see anyone paying him $2-3M/year more than the next highest paid safety. No owner wants to set that precedent. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you really think we're going to see a Jamal Adams that turns into the next Sean Taylor, I've got a bridge to sell you.

What we've seen to date out of Jamal is what he is.  He's not a tremendous athlete.  He's not a guy who can get INT's.  

LT had 7.5 sacks in 9 games in his 2nd year, and 9 sacks and 2 INT's in his 3rd season.  He showed flashes of future brilliance early on.  

With Jamal, he lacks the elite productivity AND the impact on the W-L column.  

Sean Taylor was not going to turn into LT and vice versa.  I want Jamal Adams to turn into Jamal Adams.  I am not obsessed with ints.  I want high end production and game changing plays, which he absolutely has produced over his career, multiple times.  When he doesn't play at a first team all pro level, get back to me

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Owunasor and Davis can both do that hybrid nickel role

Sone players can.  Can they play it as well as Adams?  Can they play it within a reasable level of Adams that the cost benefit favors them over Adams?  The Jets might not even value that position.  They might value it greatly.  All of things are unknown, but an important part of the debate.

I think the Jets drafted Davis hoping he could so they could move on from Adams as needed, or Maye at minimum.

I won't pretend to know lots about Owunasor, but nothing I've read indicates he can play outside and cover from the slot.

5 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

This shouldn't be news. Players want to get paid as much as possible just like any other human. Jamal being open to being traded is just a way to put pressure on the team to get closer to his target price. If the guy sits games out over it then it is a different story but right now this is not news.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Regardless of whether fans want to sign or not sign Jamal, you have to excuse their ignorance. It's not often that the Jets are actually looking to re-sign players that they drafted. Fans of this team aren't used to being in this position. 

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's exactly what successful franchises like the Ravens, Steelers and Patriots do all the time.  

Yeah, can you imagine what dynasties the Ravens, Steelers and Patriots would have turned into if they had actually held on to Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu and Devin McCourty (who appears earlier in this thread as one of the highest paid safeties in the league) or Lawyer Milloy? 

A question for the people who dont think its worth it to pay Jamal.  Would your thinking change if the Jets had a "Top 5" Defense?

Its harder then I thought to find a single "Total defense ranking" but below are 3 different ones.

Jets at 6 overall https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T

Jets at 10 overall https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2019

Jets at 14 overall https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/team-stats?season=2019&week=100&category=DEFENSE&opp=0&page=1

With no pass rush, and literally replacement level CBs this defense finished somewhere between 6 and 14.  I also believe that CJ Mosley, who is not just good - he is an elite MLB, would have made a huge difference on the overall play of this defense.  

Had the team "played better" and in turn been ranked higher allowing Jamals stats to contribute to a top unit on a team that would have been very close to the playoffs with Mosley (we certainly dont lose that Bills game with him), would you view him as more valuable then you do now?

21 minutes ago, slats said:

Adams is a very good to great player, but I don’t see anyone paying him $2-3M/year more than the next highest paid safety. No owner wants to set that precedent.

I think the crux of the Adams problem is that he wants more than any team wants to realistically pay him. He’s stated several times that he doesn’t simply want top safety money, but top defensive player money. If he’d accept Eddie Jackson money, he’d likely be signed (or traded) pretty quickly, but seeing as how he’s not an actual free agent and there’s no way for him to find out that, in fact, nobody wants to pay him CB1 money, it’s an impossible situation for him and Douglas. That’s why there should have been more urgency to move him before the draft, because now other teams can just wait around for negotiations to implode. Adams wins either way: he either gets paid like a king ot he gets moved to Dallas, where he wants to be anyway. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

A question for the people who dont think its worth it to pay Jamal.  Would your thinking change if the Jets had a "Top 5" Defense?

Its harder then I thought to find a single "Total defense ranking" but below are 3 different ones.

Jets at 6 overall https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T

Jets at 10 overall https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2019

Jets at 14 overall https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/team-stats?season=2019&week=100&category=DEFENSE&opp=0&page=1

With no pass rush, and literally replacement level CBs this defense finished somewhere between 6 and 14.  I also believe that CJ Mosley, who is not just good - he is an elite MLB, would have made a huge difference on the overall play of this defense.  

Had the team "played better" and in turn been ranked higher allowing Jamals stats to contribute to a top unit on a team that would have been very close to the playoffs with Mosley (we certainly dont lose that Bills game with him), would you view him as more valuable then you do now?

Jamal has been here for three years and the defense has sucked for two of them. Maybe the difference-maker isn’t Jamal Adams, but Gregg Williams?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think the crux of the Adams problem is that he wants more than any team wants to realistically pay him. He’s stated several times that he doesn’t simply want top safety money, but top defensive player money. If he’d accept Eddie Jackson money, he’d likely be signed (or traded) pretty quickly, but seeing as how he’s not an actual free agent and there’s no way for him to find out that, in fact, nobody wants to pay him CB1 money, it’s an impossible situation for him and Douglas. That’s why there should have been more urgency to move him before the draft, because now other teams can just wait around for negotiations to implode. Adams wins either way: he either gets paid like a king ot he gets moved to Dallas, where he wants to be anyway. 

Or, a fair trade never materializes, Jamal and his team realize that they have no leverage since he still can be controlled by the Jets for 3 more years and he can decide to talk to LeVeon to see how well sitting out did for him or lower his contract demands to be more realistic.

Joe D. should hook Jamal up with Clowney and Logan Ryan to show him how he plays this game. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Literally laughed so hard that I farted.

Thanks for that.

Lemme guess.  Next you're gonna compare him to Ed Reed, Dawkins, Troy, etc., right?

We've capped out at 6 wins in a single season with Jamal, and are 1-0 without him.

You are joking right? His career will easily be comparable to dawkins and Polamalu if he plays as long as them.

4 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Or, a fair trade never materializes, Jamal and his team realize that they have no leverage since he still can be controlled by the Jets for 3 more years and he can decide to talk to LeVeon to see how well sitting out did for him or lower his contract demands to be more realistic.

Joe D. should hook Jamal up with Clowney and Logan Ryan to show him how he plays this game. 

The path Jamal would take in this scenario will be to pitch a hissy fit up until the minute camp starts, then show up to camp and continue his hissy fit in the locker room every time someone puts a mic in front of him. Do you want that as a Jets fan?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Adams problem is that he wants more than any team wants to realistically pay him,” is an opinion more than it is fact. I will readily concede that he probably wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. The man has an ego, and it needs to be fed. I’m just not convinced that he’s looking for anything unreasonable beyond that. The fact that he doesn’t have a deal yet confirms nothing other than that Joe D hasn’t put it on the front burner yet. He could easily be uncomfortable making Jamal Adams the highest paid safety, period. He may prefer to wait another year and see where the salary cap is at post-covid. He may want to wait and see if he’s gonna pay Darnold next year. Or see what he wants to do with Mosley. There are a lot of moving parts besides Adams just possibly being unreasonable. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Adams problem is that he wants more than any team wants to realistically pay him,” is an opinion more than it is fact. I will readily concede that he probably wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. The man has an ego, and it needs to be fed. I’m just not convinced that he’s looking for anything unreasonable beyond that. The fact that he doesn’t have a deal yet confirms nothing other than that Joe D hasn’t put it on the front burner yet. He could easily be uncomfortable making Jamal Adams the highest paid safety, period. He may prefer to wait another year and see where the salary cap is at post-covid. He may want to wait and see if he’s gonna pay Darnold next year. Or see what he wants to do with Mosley. There are a lot of moving parts besides Adams just possibly being unreasonable. 

Here’s one;

“I’m not trying to be paid just to be the highest-paid whatever,” Adams said. “I’m trying to get paid for my status and what I’ve done. That’s what I’m about.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/29/jamal-adams-ready-to-be-paid-what-hes-worth/amp/

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Here’s one;

“I’m not trying to be paid just to be the highest-paid whatever,” Adams said. “I’m trying to get paid for my status and what I’ve done. That’s what I’m about.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/29/jamal-adams-ready-to-be-paid-what-hes-worth/amp/

He’s gotta start high, I would to. 

Maybe I’m projecting here because I don’t see anyone giving him anything more than a token couple bucks above the current highest paid safety, but Adams doesn’t strike me as someone who’s going to price himself out of the league. If he’s considering that he should talk to Bell, who probably lost near $20M with his ill-advised sit-out. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Been telling everyone that same thing lol... It's Adams that's a goner, and Maye moving over to SS.... Sure we get the same production from Maye as we do from Adams, and Davis is an upgrade at FS....

Scary thing is thats probably still the best duo in the AFC in Maye and Davis. Maye is a pro bowl caliber Safety. He just needs to get out from under Adams' shadow.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

That means the Jets have to do a better job with the roster.  Nothing to with Jamal

In the post I was responding to you, you literally said "He makes game changing plays.  That makes a team a winner."

In this post, you then explain away why he isn't making the team a winner.

• Upvote 1