Who is the best coach in franchise history, and why do you refuse to accept that its Rex?

funaz

Weeb won a Super Bowl.

Rex broke out in a rash when discussing offense.  Would be the best if there were no offense.

Parcells brought some good players then split too soon.

Pete Carroll was fired in December of his only year.

No clear-cut answer.

288788145_JetsFamily.jpg.0ce44166c9575527dec83e7d616fb3ca.jpg

37 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't understand how you can rate Rex higher than Michaels.  Michaels took over garbage and brought them to an AFC title game, Rex's teams basically got progressively worse.  

Maybe Michaels is too low on my list?  I put Rex up there because he has the most playoff wins in team history and while they did get worse his teams still overachieved all but 2 seasons (11 & 14).

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Maybe Michaels is too low on my list?  I put Rex up there because he has the most playoff wins in team history and while they did get worse his teams still overachieved all but 2 seasons (11 & 14).

Michaels was a very good HC and the players loved him. (Source: Nose-to-Nose by Fields and Klecko).  Replaced by perhaps the most despised coach (by the players) in Jets history.  And for 7 agonizingly long years.  RIP Leon Hess.  One day I can forgive you... but not quite yet.  

• Upvote 1

If I had to give rankings, I am probably going Weeb, Parcells, Michaels and Rex in that order.  Was just looking over the numbers for both Rex and Weeb.  Shocking how close they are. 

• Both guys made the playoffs twice -- Weeb in an 11 year tenure and Rex in 6 year tenure.  
  • Weeb had a .480 winning percentage; Rex at .479
  • Both guys had .667 winning percentage in playoffs.

Of course, Weeb has the ring, which vaults him to the top of the list.  Parcells at number 2 for erasing the stink of the Kotite era, and he is the only caoch with a winning record.  MIchaels at 3 for restoring the team to credibility after an entire decade of losing.  Then Rex, whose good years were as good as any coach we have had, but he had as big a role in the failure of 11-14 as he did in the success of 09-10.  

• Upvote 2

Absolutely wrong.

Rex over achieved his first two years with mediocre talent and a struggling qb.

This new narrative that he was given a super team and its his fault we didn't win the super team is rediculous.

When he had had average talent we made deep playoff runs. With a really bad qb (geno) and bad talent we were bad.

Parcels was definitely a better coach in his career but Rex was better and more successful for the Jets. People have a hard time accepting that

Agree, but I would put Walt Michaels above Parcells because he was just a bandaid, and could have stayed longer, but didn't. He did what he did at every stop, and while he was a great coach, never had any loyalty to any team, except for maybe the Gints...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Lith said:

If I had to give rankings, I am probably going Weeb, Parcells, Michaels and Rex in that order.  Was just looking over the numbers for both Rex and Weeb.  Shocking how close they are. 

• Both guys made the playoffs twice -- Weeb in an 11 year tenure and Rex in 6 year tenure.  

Of course, Weeb has the ring, which vaults him to the top of the list.  Parcells at number 2 for erasing the stink of the Kotite era, and he is the only caoch with a winning record.  MIchaels at 3 for restoring the team to credibility after an entire decade of losing.  Then Rex, whose good years were as good as any coach we have had, but he had as big a role in the failure of 11-14 as he did in the success of 09-10.  

Rex was an excellent coach, but a *horrible* defacto GM.  Mangini was a good defacto GM but a poor game time coach.  Tuna was good at both running the game and running the roster.  Same with Michaels.  Same with Weeb.  

It is also fascinating to see how a good leader infuses his personality into his team/troops

Weeb's team had that upbeat upstart swagger and confidence.  

Walt Michael's team had Pennsylvania blue collar lunch pail written all over it.

Tuna's team was impressive upstanding professionals that were loathed to make individual mistakes.  That Tuna trait also rubbed off on his underling, Bill Bellichick.

Rex's team was all about flair and flash on defense and his style also gave the players room to be themselves and have fun.  He had their backs and they would run through a wall for him.  The same emotional methods also doomed Rex to f*cking up his own roster.  Never let an emotional reactionary make personelle decisions

11 minutes ago, funaz said:

Absolutely wrong.

This new narrative that he was given a super team and its his fault we didn't win the super team is rediculous.

When he had had average talent we made deep playoff runs. With a really bad qb (geno) and bad talent we were bad.

Parcels was definitely a better coach in his career but Rex was better and more successful for the Jets. People have a hard time accepting that

Rex won 8 games with a rookie Geno Smith, that's pretty damn impressive

We had arguably one of the top 3 coaching staffs in NFL history when Parcells was HC.  Parcells hated Neil O'Donnell so much he cost as a playoff spot in 1997.  Down 13 to 10 against the Lions on the last game of the season O'Donnell drove us down to the Detroit 9 yard line from our own 16.   On first and goal he calls a halfback option and Leon Johnson throws an INT.  It was a call that said I have no faith that my O can score without a trick play. 

Parcells was certainly a good manipulator of players and always had incredible coaching staffs.  He also shat all over his QB's everywhere he coached.   He really underestimated the importance of the position and constantly undercut his QB's.    

Parcells inherited a 1-15 team and reached the AFC championship game. He also has the best win % in Jets history (.600).

Rex ryan inherited mangini's playoff-calibre team, and while he deserves credit for reaching back to back AFC championship games, he also deserves to be blamed for allowing the team to collapse shortly afterwards.

The fanbase would do well to remember that Rex ryan and mangini have the exact same win % of .479.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

If the undefeated Colts don't bench their players half way through their game with the Jets, Ryan's 2009 team goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs.

Rex changed the attitude, and was fun to watch, but had no idea how to hold a locker room and hold players accountable.  Once the vets stopped policing the locker room for him, the team got worse.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We had arguably one of the top 3 coaching staffs in NFL history when Parcells was HC.  Parcells hated Neil O'Donnell so much he cost as a playoff spot in 1997.  Down 13 to 10 against the Lions on the last game of the season O'Donnell drove us down to the Detroit 9 yard line from our own 16.   On first and goal he calls a halfback option and Leon Johnson throws an INT.  It was a call that said I have no faith that my O can score without a trick play. 

Parcells was certainly a good manipulator of players and always had incredible coaching staffs.  He also shat all over his QB's everywhere he coached.   He really underestimated the importance of the position and constantly undercut his QB's.    

As to bold above: one of the worst moments in Jets history and one of the worst moves by a Jets HC (rivals on Pete Carroll not handing the ball to Lynch in the superbowl).   The other thing is that it was a bad call and wasn't an INT.  The ball was picked off and the Lion who caught it landed on his back right on the white sidelines in the endzone.  It was incomplete, but they called it an INT.   Overall this is one of the top 5 all-time horrible Jets moments.  SO happy to have it come to mind again....  :unsure:

19 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If the undefeated Colts don't bench their players half way through their game with the Jets, Ryan's 2009 team goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs.

Rex changed the attitude, and was fun to watch, but had no idea how to hold a locker room and hold players accountable.  Once the vets stopped policing the locker room for him, the team got worse.

Use that same logic for the SD playoff game.  In the colts game we trailed by 5 midway through the 3rd qtr, Indy pulled starters and we won.  In SD we trailed by 4 midway through the 3rd qtr, obviously they didn't pull starters and we won.  

The point is we don't know what happens in Indy if they keep the starters in and it doesn't matter.  They pulled them, we won that game, thrashed Cincy and made the playoffs.

Only Jets fans can bash our playoff teams.

33 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He hated O'Donnell, he wanted to win in spite of him and it cost us though the Leon int wasn't really an int.  The Lions DB didn't have control in bounds and it should have been incomplete.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, nyjunc said:

Use that same logic for the SD playoff game.  In the colts game we trailed by 5 midway through the 3rd qtr, Indy pulled starters and we won.  In SD we trailed by 4 midway through the 3rd qtr, obviously they didn't pull starters and we won.  

The point is we don't know what happens in Indy if they keep the starters in and it doesn't matter.  They pulled them, we won that game, thrashed Cincy and made the playoffs.

Only Jets fans can bash our playoff teams.

I"m not bashing, it was a fun ride.   People kind of act like Rex had this great 2 year run, however the 1st year was kind of flukey.

The 2nd year was a stud team that had a legit SB chance.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I"m not bashing, it was a fun ride.   People kind of act like Rex had this great 2 year run, however the 1st year was kind of flukey.

The 2nd year was a stud team that had a legit SB chance.

The first year was up and down with a rookie QB but they made it and went on a deep run.  That made the year a lot of fun.  

Considering what has happened since Pittsburgh in the 2010 AFC Championship Game I think I now rank that game as the worst loss in team history.

Leon Johnson was a great RB and special teamer. He never threw a pass before in College or the NFL so using him to throw an option pass into the end zone was a horrible decision.
Tuna was a big proponent of saying ya gotta dance with the girl who brung you.
Should’ve listened to his own advice

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, funaz said:

Absolutely wrong.

Sorry, you're wrong... I liked Rex when he first was hired and he took Mangini's team to 2 AFCCG in 2009 and 2010... Once he got his hands on the roster he destroyed the team. That and he got Sanchez almost killed for playing him in a meaningless game which forced us to start Geno... Guy was more a windbag, then a HC. He was always a much better DC.

Was Walt Michaels really fired after a drunken plane rant?  Just curious.  10-5. 6-3 when he was let go.  For the Jets that's actually the opposite record I would expect a head coach to have when they are let go.  Must have been a hell of an argument.

47 minutes ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Leon Johnson was a great RB and special teamer. He never threw a pass before in College or the NFL so using him to throw an option pass into the end zone was a horrible decision.
Tuna was a big proponent of saying ya gotta dance with the girl who brung you.
Should’ve listened to his own advice

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Great has to be a word that is most used in the wrong way ever.. LJ had 345 yds in his 4 years as a Jet, no doubt he's up there with the other greats Like Jim Brown,Sayers,Campbell and others etc B)

20 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Was Walt Michaels really fired after a drunken plane rant?  Just curious.  10-5. 6-3 when he was let go.  For the Jets that's actually the opposite record I would expect a head coach to have when they are let go.  Must have been a hell of an argument.

https://wfan.radio.com/blogs/steve-lichtenstein/remembering-walt-michaels-architect-jets-great-defenses

After going 6-3 in a strike-interrupted regular season, Gang Green won consecutive playoff games on the road, walloping the Bengals and then squeaking past the Raiders to set up an AFC Championship Game in Miami. Michaels’ defensive game plan in Los Angeles was particularly masterful. He took away Raiders running back Marcus Allen and confused quarterback Jim Plunkett, who threw three picks, two to hovering linebacker Lance Mehl.

By this time, however, Michaels was already exhibiting peculiar behavior. He accused Raiders owner Al Davis of calling him in the visitor’s locker room at halftime as some kind of a dirty trick.  

That was nothing compared to what transpired the following week in Miami, where Shula lay in wait as Dolphins coach. 

The Orange Bowl field, under Shula’s orders, was allowed to remain uncovered through about three days of heavy rain. It was a quagmire. This negated the Jets’ speed advantage on offense. Dolphins running backs Andra Franklin and Woody Bennett were not shifty types like McNeil. In addition, they possessed no one close to the game-breaking wheels of Jets wide receivers Wesley Walker, who could barely get off the line of scrimmage without slipping that day.

In what would be dubbed the Mud Bowl, Jets offensive coordinator Joe Walton dialed up 41 pass plays versus 24 rushing attempts. Todd threw for just 103 yards and five interceptions, including the backbreaker on a flat pass that Miami linebacker A.J. Duhe ran back 35 yards for a touchdown, the final nail in the Jets’ 14-0 coffin.

Afterward, Michaels was fuming on the flight home. Reportedly under the influence of alcohol, he was abusive. 

Hess had seen enough. 17 days after the loss, Michaels “resigned” and was replaced by Walton. The majority of Jets fans again thought Michaels got a raw deal. It would take 16 years before the Jets even reached the AFC Championship Game level again. 

Michaels never returned to the NFL. He would later coach the New Jersey Generals of the USFL into the playoffs for two seasons with running back Herschel Walker before he was fired by owner Donald J. Trump. 

The Jets haven’t had a ton of positive moments that are etched in their fans’ memories. You’d be surprised how many of them involved Walt Michaels.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

https://wfan.radio.com/blogs/steve-lichtenstein/remembering-walt-michaels-architect-jets-great-defenses

After going 6-3 in a strike-interrupted regular season, Gang Green won consecutive playoff games on the road, walloping the Bengals and then squeaking past the Raiders to set up an AFC Championship Game in Miami. Michaels’ defensive game plan in Los Angeles was particularly masterful. He took away Raiders running back Marcus Allen and confused quarterback Jim Plunkett, who threw three picks, two to hovering linebacker Lance Mehl.

By this time, however, Michaels was already exhibiting peculiar behavior. He accused Raiders owner Al Davis of calling him in the visitor’s locker room at halftime as some kind of a dirty trick.  

That was nothing compared to what transpired the following week in Miami, where Shula lay in wait as Dolphins coach. 

The Orange Bowl field, under Shula’s orders, was allowed to remain uncovered through about three days of heavy rain. It was a quagmire. This negated the Jets’ speed advantage on offense. Dolphins running backs Andra Franklin and Woody Bennett were not shifty types like McNeil. In addition, they possessed no one close to the game-breaking wheels of Jets wide receivers Wesley Walker, who could barely get off the line of scrimmage without slipping that day.

In what would be dubbed the Mud Bowl, Jets offensive coordinator Joe Walton dialed up 41 pass plays versus 24 rushing attempts. Todd threw for just 103 yards and five interceptions, including the backbreaker on a flat pass that Miami linebacker A.J. Duhe ran back 35 yards for a touchdown, the final nail in the Jets’ 14-0 coffin.

Afterward, Michaels was fuming on the flight home. Reportedly under the influence of alcohol, he was abusive. 

Hess had seen enough. 17 days after the loss, Michaels “resigned” and was replaced by Walton. The majority of Jets fans again thought Michaels got a raw deal. It would take 16 years before the Jets even reached the AFC Championship Game level again. 

Michaels never returned to the NFL. He would later coach the New Jersey Generals of the USFL into the playoffs for two seasons with running back Herschel Walker before he was fired by owner Donald J. Trump. 

The Jets haven’t had a ton of positive moments that are etched in their fans’ memories. You’d be surprised how many of them involved Walt Michaels.

Sad he couldnt control the booze.  Might have had a betfer ending if he had stayed around longer. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

I agree with...Ewbank and Parcells.  I would add Mangini.  Rex is a fraud.  He road the coat tails of Ozzie Newsome selecting players and Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan's defenses.

Yes.  Rex Ryan rode the coattails of Ozzie Newsome selecting players and Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan to the #1/#1 D and two AFCCGs with the Jets.

If those teams were so ******* good why couldn't Mangini win with them?  He had a HOF QB and he still sucked

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.  Rex Ryan rode the coattails of Ozzie Newsome selecting players and Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan to the #1/#1 D and two AFCCGs with the Jets.

If those teams were so ******* good why couldn't Mangini win with them?  He had a HOF QB and he still sucked

Prior to the Favre bicep tear the 2008 Jets were 8-3 and had the # 1 offense in the NFL.  

13 hours ago, funaz said:

Absolutely wrong.

Fun fact: In 2009 Rex had 7 new starters including a rookie quarterback 

This “Mangini’s team” stuff is old 

15 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He also cost us Belichick which means he cost us Brady and a dynasty.

With that said he turned around our franchise so he deserves appreciation but the what ifs are awful to think about.

Woody cost us Belichick 

Not that Belichick ever becomes Belichick without Brady falling in his lap

Belichick without Brady is Al Groh