Who is the best coach in franchise history, and why do you refuse to accept that its Rex?

funaz

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Top 3

How I would rank them.  Weeb was a very good HC, not quite so good a GM. Parcells may be the best pure HC of the Jets but he left at a bad time. Walt Michaels did a terrific job as HC and football operations (he did not have a GM title but played a huge part in player selection). If Walt didn't get replaced when he did I believe the Jets history would be quite different. 

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Parcells

3. Walt Michaels

Agree, but I would put Walt Michaels above Parcells because he was just a bandaid, and could have stayed longer, but didn't. He did what he did at every stop, and while he was a great coach, never had any loyalty to any team, except for maybe the Gints...

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

17 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Top 3

How I would rank them.  Weeb was a very good HC, not quite so good a GM. Parcells may be the best pure HC of the Jets but he left at a bad time. Walt Michaels did a terrific job as HC and football operations (he did not have a GM title but played a huge part in player selection). If Walt didn't get replaced when he did I believe the Jets history would be quite different. 

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Parcells

3. Walt Michaels

Good ranking

• Upvote 1

Remember when the Jets fired Rex Ryan and everyone on the board was like, good riddance, his career is over?  And then he was hired in Buffalo and he proceed to stomp out the Jets dreams of the postseason in Week 17?  

Good times! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Remember when the Jets fired Rex Ryan and everyone on the board was like, good riddance, his career is over?  And then he was hired in Buffalo and he proceed to stomp out the Jets dreams of the postseason in Week 17?  

Good times! 

Well it was more like Fitzpatrick pulled a Fitzpatrick, but good for Rex I guess

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Rex had a 2 year run built with Mangini's players. I think Rex is a good coach, but I have to put his success in perspective.

I always thought Herm built a solid program. Made the playoffs in 2001, 2002, and 2004. His teams underachieved but I would have liked to see him stay after the 2005 season and seen where things went. Although he wasn't very successful once he left for Kansas City. 

Oh right the guy who never won a playoff game and then failed with the Browns.. The QB he couldn't win with took the 1-15 Fins to the playoffs.. Yet you give Herm the credit for a team the Tuna built..:chas:

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, funaz said:

It's the off-season let's discuss.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I have no trouble being completely objective about my take on Rex. First of all, Rex was NOT the best HC in Jets history. Not even close. Rex is third on my list and I honestly think Rex got screwed by poor ownership and two bad GM's. Woody was as dumb as a rock in retaining Tanny for as long as he did and then hired John Idzik who was infinitely worse than Tanny. So Rex got stuck with virtually talentless rosters. Just like every HC, Rex was forced to walk the plank for going 4-12 after the 2014. That team was so bad if not for Rex they could have gone 1-15. My hope is Joe Douglas gives serious consideration to hiring Rex again?

Rex's tenure was more eventful than successful.  Entertaining for a few amazing moments, strange moments and train wrecks.  Success is the true barometer.  That's why Weeb has to be the best.

Don't go by me, I'm jaded.  He told me I have ugly feet.

• Haha 1

I would say it was Parcells

Rex came as close getting us close to the SB but you never were confident that the Jets coild compete in the AFCCG with Rex. When the Jets played Denver, I was so confident we would win, I booked plane tickets to Fl. For the weekend where the SB was played.was still nice to go to Fl even though they blew that game in the second half. 

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) What happened next?

2) How are the Bills doing without him?

3) What teams have interviewed Rex for a HC job since?

1) The season ended

2) Still the Bills

3) Rex is denying all interviews at this time

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

1) The season ended

2) Still the Bills

3) Rex is denying all interviews at this time

1) I meant the next season.

2) A playoff team with a top 12 roster?  That's un-Bills like considering their history, and certainly not what they looked like under Rex.

3) Denying interviews for DC jobs, yes.  He's begging for a HC job, and can't get it.  Neither at the NFL nor collegiate level (he expressed interest in the Miami Hurricanes job when it was open).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) I meant the next season.

2) A playoff team with a top 12 roster?  That's un-Bills like considering their history, and certainly not what they looked like under Rex.

3) Denying interviews for DC jobs, yes.  He's begging for a HC job, and can't get it.  Neither at the NFL nor collegiate level (he expressed interest in the Miami Hurricanes job when it was open).

1) The Jets won 5 games

2) Still doing Bills things

3) Everyone knows he's not accepting interviews; some people say he's working on Rex 2.0, which is exciting 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

1) The Jets won 5 games

2) Still doing Bills things

3) Everyone knows he's not accepting interviews; some people say he's working on Rex 2.0, which is exciting 

1) What does that have to do with Rex and the Bills?

2) The Bills hadn't previously made the playoffs since 1999.  They've now reached the playoffs twice in the last 3 years under McDermott.  So, no, they're not. 

3) Color me excited about this.

Rex Ryan had the opportunity of a lifetime.  He could have been etched in bronze as the best HC in Jets history, but then he burned his own house down with poor choices for assistants, players and veterans.  With no ability to control the clubhouse, and with child-like personality issues, Rex wrote his own obituary.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) What does that have to do with Rex and the Bills?

2) The Bills hadn't previously made the playoffs since 1999.  They've now reached the playoffs twice in the last 3 years under McDermott.  So, no, they're not. 

3) Color me excited about this.

1) It sent the Jets into a tailspin and displayed how much they missed Rex

2) first appearance with the team Rex built and the QB Rex developed

3) Im not good at coloring, never stayed within the lines

1 minute ago, JiF said:

1) It sent the Jets into a tailspin and displayed how much they missed Rex

2) first appearance with the team Rex built and the QB Rex developed

3) Im not good at coloring, never stayed within the lines

1) Yes but how did the Bills do WITH Rex?

2) * Greg Roman developed.  You know, the same guy that is currently developing Lamar Jackson.  The roster was also strong before Rex arrived, too.

3) Strong quality imo

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Top 3

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Parcells

3. Walt Michaels

i can live with that ranking but i might just move michaels ahead of parcells.  michaels really built a team that had fallen on much harder times than when parcells took it over.  yeah i get the part about parcells taking over from the 1-15 kotite but kotite was only two seasons. michaels followed holtz, two seasons of charlie winner and weeb's last season.  weeb's team was aging really fast and then the wfl poached many of the players so ithe jets were pretty run down when michaels took over.

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Arsis said:

I'd rate mangini above Rex. Would go back and keep him over Rex. Half his heat came from the sh*tty Jets beat writers who were mad Mangini wanted to run a professional locker room.

Half his heat came from the fact that he sucked and couldn't win.  Oh yeah, that and the fact that he is a douche.  **** him.

• Upvote 1