Cautionary tale for Baker Mayfield: Johnny Manziel says his football days are 'in the past'

https://www.nfl.com/news/johnny-manziel-says-his-football-days-are-in-the-past

Monday, Jun 29, 2020 11:16 AM

Johnny Manziel says his football days are 'in the past'

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

May 8, 2014, was the night when Johnny Manziel's professional football career began, and less than five years later, it was over.

The former first-round pick's flameout is well known as this point, but what isn't is his football future. Last we'd seen of him, he was on an Alliance of American Football field as part of the Memphis Express before that league -- much like Manziel's NFL career -- abruptly collapsed. These days, he's golfing and enjoying life more than he ever did as Johnny Football.

"In the past, probably, is the way I'd characterize it," Manziel said of his football career, per the Lubbock Avalance-Journal's Don Williams. "I've finally got to a point where I'm trying to achieve happiness in life, not happiness on the football field.

"I know a lot of people probably want me to come back and play and give it another chance, but I don't know, as far as being a person and figuring out life as a young adult -- trying to make it and figure it out -- if I've ever been in a better place than I'm in right now. I can honestly say I'm happy and I'm doing the right things to try and put a smile on my face every day, and that means more to me than going out and grinding on a football field."

Happiness is the goal of anyone's life, of course, and while Manziel sure made his successful on-field moments appear to be filled with nothing but glee, it is a bit surprising to hear a former Heisman Trophy winner and No. 22 overall pick say he's feeling better not playing football than he did while he was being paid to do so. Manziel, once so on top of the world that he was being name-dropped by the most popular rappers on the planet (see: Drake's "Draft Day"), is glad he was knocked from his throne before the fall became too steep to survive.

"I had a great time," Manziel said. "Anytime I ever stepped between the lines, I had an amazing time. I gave it everything I had.

"I think it's just, the work you put in when you have the free hours and when you do things on your own, that matches up accordingly with what happens on the field. And when you get to thinking that you're too good or you're better than the game, it'll humble you. And that's what happened. I got humbled. Thank God I did get a chance to be humbled, because when you think you're at the top of the world, it's a dangerous place."

Manziel spent more of his free time enjoying his fame than he did preparing for the game that helped him achieve such fame, which his former teammates (and Manziel himself) will readily admit. It was obvious he wasn't ready for his first professional start, a 30-0 drubbing at the hands of the Cincinnati Bengals that contributed to a late-season collapse in 2014, and his struggles continued from there.

His career didn't end with his release from the Browns in 2016, though, as Canada came calling, offering him a chance to play with both the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Montreal Alouettes. He was eventually banned from the entire league before he could make much of an impact.

"During that time when I got drafted, I didn't put in the time that I needed to be a great player and I don't think my heart was in it," Manziel said. "And I think when I went back to Canada, it was the same way. I truly believed and truly thought it was what I wanted to do, and my heart wasn't in it, and it worked out the way it did."

His last hurrah came with the AAF, which ended before Manziel or the rest of the league could really get going. Now, it sounds as if Johnny Football's gridiron career will only be a memory -- something with which he seems to be perfectly fine.

"People can call me whatever they want," he said, "but at the end of the day, I'm proud of what I did. I'm proud of what I accomplished. I bettered myself. I bettered my family's life. I got a chance to play amazing college football, and it didn't work out in the NFL and that's OK."

• Upvote 1

Glad he got his head on straight. It takes getting your ass handed to you for some people to wake up. 

So what if he flamed out in the NFL? It's clearly not for everyone. Johnny probably did more crazy sh*t during his undergrad than most of us will do for our entire lives. He had all the fun and made some coin - and he's somehow still alive! God bless him. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

A player who performs at the level Manziel did in college still needs the will and desire to play up at the next level if he’s going to succeed.

Ive wondered about Manziel , and why he didn’t. Was it size? The substance abuse issues? Probably, but in this story he admits to not really giving it what he feels was 100%, so add that to the mix.

He seems ok with it, and at peace with himself. That’s all that matters. He’s still a young man, I wish nothing but the best for him going forward.

He accomplished more on a football field than most could ever dream of. He’ll have plenty of fond memories to look back on.

• Upvote 1

Dear Johnny Manziel,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your life and playing a lot of golf. Just wanted to let you know, in the event that my baseball career doesn’t work out, I always wanted to try being a caddy. Keep me in mind.

Sincerely,

Christian Hackenberg 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How many games did Baker Mayfield miss with: 

1. A dubious ankle injury that was later revealed to be exaggerated to give the rookie QB “a breather”?

2. An STD?

Thank heavens he stuck with cocaine benders, Whewwww, dodged a bullet there. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Ive wondered about Manziel , and why he didn’t. Was it size? The substance abuse issues? Probably, but in this story he admits to not really giving it what he feels was 100%, so add that to the mix.

He seems ok with it, and at peace with himself. That’s all that matters.

So he takes millions of dollars and then admits he didn't give it his best?  It's not like when he graduated college he announced, "Screw football, I'm going to study pre-Columbian art".  That would be an independent thinker.  No, Manziel showed up to get paid first, then screwed off.  Nothing to admire there.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Mayfield was 100x the prospect Manziel was.

There is no comparison beyond playing for the Browns. He’s already accomplished far more and whatever issues he’s had they’re nothing compared to Manziel.

Mayfield will be a solid starter for years at worst.

He sure as hell was not a solid starter last year on a team with lots of talent.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Riggins said:

He is a college qb, never had NFL talent, guys like that can beat horrible teams if they're on a good

team, but that aint sayin much.

If he was completely dedicated his career would have looked a lot different - but that is a very big "if".

I'm happy for him (and any QB that doesn't live up to expectations) if he doesn't end up damaged goods upstairs, ala Art Schlichter, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young ... not everyone can handle fame & money. 

9 hours ago, sackdance said:

If he was completely dedicated his career would have looked a lot different - but that is a very big "if".

I'm happy for him (and any QB that doesn't live up to expectations) if he doesn't end up damaged goods upstairs, ala Art Schlichter, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young ... not everyone can handle fame & money. 

In all fairness Leaf is actually doing pretty well now.  He’s a good commentator on sports talk shows and now sober

He was one of the few commentators who had rated Lamar Jackson ahead of Baker Mayfield a couple years ago before the draft and his assessment of Mayfield’s personality so far has been dead on

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

So he takes millions of dollars and then admits he didn't give it his best?  It's not like when he graduated college he announced, "Screw football, I'm going to study pre-Columbian art".  That would be an independent thinker.  No, Manziel showed up to get paid first, then screwed off.  Nothing to admire there.

To be fair, he comes from money: https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/aggies/article/Manziel-family-was-larger-than-life-long-before-4723092.php

So the 'millions of dollars' wasn't a life-changing amount to him. He was set for life anyway

Folks need to stop Baker Mayfield is nothing like Johnny.
Nothing and somehow hoping for Baker's demise is silly.
I believe that Baker can play and will prove it this year to boot.

I agree with this. Other than being in Cleveland, do Baker and Johnny really have anything in common? Okay they are both undersized, but so are Brees and Wilson.

Manziel was a known partier and the red flags were off the charts. Getting sent home from a football camp he volunteered at, also had drunk altercations with his girlfriend where the police got involved. And multiple reports about partying a lot at a and m

Is there any report of baker with any sort of substance abuse? His only complaints are more similar to Philip rivers where they think he talks too much trash, or grabbing his jock strap which I think is funny, though Lynch did it better
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

I agree with this. Other than being in Cleveland, do Baker and Johnny really have anything in common? Okay they are both undersized, but so are Brees and Wilson.

Manziel was a known partier and the red flags were off the charts. Getting sent home from a football camp he volunteered at, also had drunk altercations with his girlfriend where the police got involved. And multiple reports about partying a lot at a and m

Is there any report of baker with any sort of substance abuse? His only complaints are more similar to Philip rivers where they think he talks too much trash, or grabbing his jock strap which I think is funny, though Lynch did it better

Pretty sure there's some video of him out there getting sacked by the police. I don't dislike him, and don't think he's Manziel redoux, but he's not exactly a boy scout. And, like Johnny, he maybe loves the spotlight more than the game. 

I'll be happy if he's successful, though. Especially if he's less successful than Sam. :) 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Here is video on what Baker has to do....

Nothing at all like Manziel.....

@hokiejetfan92 @Trolly McTrollface..........

That was a pretty good video. Thanks for posting it.

The guy was fair. Critical, but not to a point of being unfair.

What I took out of this was I actually had a pretty good feel for what was going on with him (which shocked me) lol.

The kid is still learning. There were excuses to be made, but a lot of his mistakes were on him. He needs to be better.

He tends to play too much “hero” ball. He needs to learn when to give up on a play.

He’s very good at pre snap reads, but needs work on post snap reads.

I will say though, I like that his mistakes seem to be ones of aggression, and like the man said, they can be easily fixed.

The young QBs I worry about are the ones who play tentatively, and are afraid to take chances. Those are the guys who at best become game managers.

I love the swagger Mayfield plays an carries himself with. I think he has all the qualities a team would want,  both as a leader of a team, and a QB.

Whether it works out that way remains to be seen, but Im rooting for the kid.

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

his mistakes ....................... can be easily fixed.

people say this about every draft pick who doesnt cut it...   whcih is how i know its total BS.

the above has nothing to do with the actual player...     its my stance on ANY player they say that about....

36 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

people say this about every draft pick who doesnt cut it...   whcih is how i know its total BS.

the above has nothing to do with the actual player...     its my stance on ANY player they say that about....

I get what you’re saying, but when the problem is mainly decision making type of stuff, I think it is fixable.

The guys who’ve been playing the position for years and still have problems with things like throwing off their back foot, or no pocket awareness... that’s a different story.

Back to your point though, yeah, I think it reaches a point where “you just are who you are”, so we’ll see what happens.

6 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Both air raid qbs

both undersized

both are attention guys

both were known in college for escapability

Mayfield’s nfl road to ruin will take much longer though.  

• Haha 2