Poll: Female HC or GM in the next 20 years in major sports?

Poll: Female HC or GM in the next 20 years?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Will The NFL Have A Female HC in the next 20 years?

2. 2. Will The NFL Have A Female GM in the next 20 years?

3. 3. Will any of the major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) have a female GM in the next 20 years?

4. 4. Will any of the major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) have a female HC in the next 20 years?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/08/2020 at 02:37 AM

I think a HC position would be hard to pull off.  Most players want someone who has been in their shoes to a degree, not necessarily a former NFL player but a guy who at least strapped on a helmet at the college or high school level.  While I'm sure that there are women who could intellectually master everything it takes to gameplan, coach, manage players, etc. I just get the sense that the players and coach wouldn't quite 100% be able to relate to each other.

Much higher probability that we get a female GM in one of the major sports.  Heck, if the NFL could take a contract/sports lawyer out of Tulane and teach him enough about football to become a GM like Mike Tannebaum, I'm sure a woman could do it.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

There will be a female HC in one of the 4 major men's sports within the next 5 years.

Most likely NBA at some point.  They have had female assistant coaches already

Female nfl head coach or GM ain’t happening unless you count Idzik

2 minutes ago, ljr said:

A daughter/wife of one of the current owners could pull a Jerry Jones owner/GM thing when she inherits the team

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Like who?  There’s only been two female owners last 30 years in the nfl.  Both were psychos who weren’t exactly pushing the women’s rights agenda.  Georgia Frontierre drafted a known sexual predator and woman beater Lawrence Phillips

And then in the mlb there was Marge Schott

GM I imagine sooner as long as they know how to carry a coffee cup, Mac pulled it off and anyone with a calculator could have done Idzik and Tannys job.

I don't see coach, but at the current level of wokeness we will absolutely get a female head coach in the next 20 years. I just hope its a female Rex Ryan and they do Hard Knocks.

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Is there any OC or DC currently? If not it’s not going to happen. But that will be the next rule. Mandatory interviews for women for HCs, GMs, Asses, OC, DC etc

With the state of the country I will take back this answer. I believe it will be forced in all major sports. They’ll be a new rule like the Rooney rule that makes it mandatory to interview women and they’ll push for every team to have women on their staff and sooner or later advertisers will force teams hands and make them do it. 

The NBA makes the most sense to be the first to do it since there’s a ton of female college coaches and players to choice from. The NFL will be the last for the opposite reason. There isn’t any female HCs or real players to pick from in any major colleges. 

28 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

With the state of the country I will take back this answer. I believe it will be forced in all major sports. They’ll be a new rule like the Rooney rule that makes it mandatory to interview women and they’ll push for every team to have women on their staff and sooner or later advertisers will force teams hands and make them do it. 

The NBA makes the most sense to be the first to do it since there’s a ton of female college coaches and players to choice from. The NFL will be the last for the opposite reason. There isn’t any female HCs or real players to pick from in any major colleges. 

Show us on the doll where she hurt you

Hoops makes a ton of sense. The women’s game is much more technical, there are definitely women who have really high basketball IQ’s and would make very good coaches or executives. 

Franchises like the Spurs are always ahead of the curve on this kind of stuff.

A woman could do the GM job in any of the major sports.  I expect we will see one within 20 years.  Also... You don't have to be able to play pro football to be able to coach pro football.  If there was an actual woman's football league (not the swimsuit bs) women could learn as much football as they needed to in order to coach the game.  Many NFL HC's, OC;s and DC's  were never NFL quality players.  Look at Belichick.   We may not see a woman as an NFL HC in the next 20 years, but they can be and would be qualified for the position if they played the game in a woman's league or even if they played in HS or div III college (a few do).   I'm fairly sure the men players would accept and respect a woman HC if they knew she excelled at it in one capacity or another.  The X's and O's are the same and the skills that you learn/teach for things like blocking, rout running, passing, etc. would all be the same.  Just a different level of size and power which has no bearing on techniques, tactics and game design. When it comes down to it, NO ONE can really play professional football.  Not any of the guys watching at home on TV.  Not any of the guys watching in the stadium.  Not any of the coaches or assistants on the sideline.  Not any of the managers or administrators on NFL teams.  Not even any of the former players that call the games.   Only a *VERY* small handful of people can play NFL ball, and that is only for about three years of their life.  Statistically speaking, no one can play pro ball.   32 teams x 53 man roster = 1696.  That number over the population of the USA (327,000,000) = .000005185 %.  

I would LOVE to see women more involved in the game.  Another tid-bit here.  The Jets have a healthy amount of women in their fanbase.  It would be great to have more women involved with the game, just so long as the qualifications were there.  We don't need another Kotite no matter what gender... 

What I DONT want is to turn on sports radio or open up the sports page to relax and unwind only to have social justice worrier bs shuved up my ass.  That's you, ESPN. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Is there any OC or DC currently? If not it’s not going to happen. But that will be the next rule. Mandatory interviews for women for HCs, GMs, Asses, OC, DC etc

It will be in the NBA.  I would say within 10 years we'll see a female OC or DC in the NFL.

I think the NBA will have the first woman HC, the other sports still need more female assistant coaches to move up ranks. Than followed by football, there are a couple of position coaches already and female refs

Women's basketball players are probably more technically sound than men. They cant fly through the air and jump over people. 

26 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

It will be in the NBA.  I would say within 10 years we'll see a female OC or DC in the NFL.

I think baseball has the lowest barrier to entry because GMs these days seem to give managers a fairly strict window of things they're even allowed to decide on.  That's why I'd guess baseball first.  But I could see the NBA 2nd because there is the WNBA and I think, as someone else mentioned, Becky Hammon is an assistant coach now for (IIRC) the Spurs.

• Upvote 1

Will there be a female player in any of these sports. There were great female softball players esp years back didn't one of them strike out Babe Ruth. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-woman-who-maybe-struck-out-babe-ruth-and-lou-gehrig-4759182/ There were one or two women who played in the Negro Leagues which was a great league. There are many very good woman hockey players you would think some of them could play in the NHL. And soccer which is not a physical game to the extent of football, basketball, hockey. There are great female soccer  players who you think could compete professionally with men. 

I don't see any reason why there won't/shouldn't be a female NBA Head Coach in the next few years.  

MLB Manager is a bit tougher.  NFL Head Coach tougher still.   

But again, absolutely no reason why a woman couldn't/shouldn't be a General Manager in any of the major sports.  That's a business/evaluation job, and there is no reason women couldn't/shouldn't be doing that job now, much less in five years.  

Personally, I'd eliminate softball from High School sports altogether, and have a unisex Baseball team.  Girls and boys can both play baseball, pure strength isn't a key generally.  It's all technique, speed and agility, and women can be just as good as men in those areas.  Girls should be playing Baseball, not lame Softball.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Will there be a female player in any of these sports. There were great female softball players esp years back didn't one of them strike out Babe Ruth. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-woman-who-maybe-struck-out-babe-ruth-and-lou-gehrig-4759182/ There were one or two women who played in the Negro Leagues which was a great league. There are many very good woman hockey players you would think some of them could play in the NHL. And soccer which is not a physical game to the extent of football, basketball, hockey. There are great female soccer  players who you think could compete professionally with men. 

The most likely position I can think of in the 4 major sports that might make sense would be kicker or punter in the NFL.  

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't see any reason why there won't/shouldn't be a female NBA Head Coach in the next few years.  

MLB Manager is a bit tougher.  NFL Head Coach tougher still.   

But again, absolutely no reason why a woman couldn't/shouldn't be a General Manager in any of the major sports.  That's a business/evaluation job, and there is no reason women couldn't/shouldn't be doing that job now, much less in five years.  

Personally, I'd eliminate softball from High School sports altogether, and have a unisex Baseball team.  Girls and boys can both play baseball, pure strength isn't a key generally.  It's all technique, speed and agility, and women can be just as good as men in those areas.  Girls should be playing Baseball, not lame Softball.

I'm interested why you think MLB manager would be tougher.  Tbh, I think a regular person of reasonable intelligence who had a love of the game could do this job with some training.

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm interested why you think MLB manager would be tougher.  Tbh, I think a regular person of reasonable intelligence who had a love of the game could do this job with some training.

Do women even play baseball at a college D1 level?  They play softball