Barnwell gives the Jets a B+

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Barnwell hates the Jets and has always hated the Jets. He is an absolute hack who emerged from the Bill Simmons blogger cesspool and doesn’t deserve your time or clicks. He is completely worthless as a writer, analyst, humorist, or human. 

This times a gazillion (that's a really, really lot). Barnwell is awful at what he does and hates on the Jets. He wrote that hit piece on Darnold conveniently leaving out the fact he had a winning record while being beaten down by mono and the worst line and receiving core in the NFL.

• Thumb Down 1

I stopped checking walterfootball over the years after seeing consistent hatred (not just a slight bias) directed at the jets. I mean they flat out dislike the jets over there. Often times they would have mock draft picks for the jets which made 0 sense as far as round and position. I gave up on those guys, stopped visiting that site.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The media hates the jets.  They have hated us since Rex

Really since Mangini actually.  They loved Herm's headline-grabbing nonsensical press conferences, and were definitely spiteful when Mangini immediately shut down any talk surrounding this team.  It's stuck around ever since then, only ever backing off for a brief moment if the team happened to be doing well enough that they knew there wouldn't be an audience for it, but that obviously hasn't covered too much of the time.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the only thing that knocks it down is that for 2020, the Jets are not as good of a team as they would have been with Adams.  Had the trade somehow included a player like WR Tyler Lockett that would help the team immediately it might have been a win-win for both now and the future.  As it stands today the Jets clearly got the better of this deal....but it's more like 1 small step back (downgrading the D in 2020) to get 3 steps forward in 2021 and beyond.

we were 16-32 with adams on the field.  he averages 5 wins a year.  why are we all so worried about the fact that we're not as good of a team.  We HAD a GM who drafted safeties, nose tackles at the top of the draft, and who passed on watson and mahomes.  we now have a GM who will build a well rounded team.  this is a great deal and great time to be a Jet..and Jet fan.  16-32 fellas.  the prez didn't help us win.

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Really since Mangini actually.  They loved Herm's headline-grabbing nonsensical press conferences, and were definitely spiteful when Mangini immediately shut down any talk surrounding this team.  It's stuck around ever since then, only ever backing off for a brief moment if the team happened to be doing well enough that they knew there wouldn't be an audience for it, but that obviously hasn't covered too much of the time.

Mangini was horrible for a myriad of reasons. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Barnwell hates the Jets and has always hated the Jets. He is an absolute hack who emerged from the Bill Simmons blogger cesspool and doesn’t deserve your time or clicks. He is completely worthless as a writer, analyst, humorist, or human. 

And he's a Giants fan who worships Tom Brady. Basically hobbit scum. 

5 hours ago, GreekJet said:

I think Jamal is on the level of those guys in terms of impact. 

There COULD be an infrastructure to build around:

Sam Darnold

Mehki Becton

Quinnen Williams

Foley Fautukasi

Nathan Shepard

Kyle Phillips

Denzel Mims

Ashtyn Davis

Jabari Zuniga

Bryce Hall

LaMichael Perine

Chris Herndon

Connor McGovern

Chuma Edoga 

The rest of the roster is pretty much pending free agents so the Jets need some of these guys play important roles. 

I don't think Jamal is on the level of Mack or Ramsey. But having seen how those trades have worked out anyway, is it ever worth giving up two firsts for anyone on defense? Probably not.

I believe in Darnold. I don't know about the rest. Although I am excited about Mims and will be patient with his development. 

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Whom is Darnold thee speaks of ? ?? I've heard of an urban legend named Darnold .. a QB of rare quality ... One that can shoulder a franchise and lead them to the promised land with great fundementals and stamina ... Sadly all mine eyes have witnessed is a bewildered, mechanically unsound, mono stricken boy who hath mentioned bearing witness to spirits of the bygone past.

I say again ...

Whom is this Darnold thee speaks of ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

The lady doth protest too much, me thinks. 

I'm talking about Sam Darnold? You know, #14? The guy with crazy eyes for a coach? The quarterback behind the worst o-line in football? The guy that was throwing to Robbie 'Forrest Gump' Anderson? 

I'm talking about the guy who led one of, if not the worst roster in the league to a  6-2 record in the last 8 games of the season. 

That's the guy. 

But hey, ya know, some people look at a pie from Umbertos in New Hyde Park and complain that it isn't gluten free. To thine own self be true, Dunnie. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

so, we should have fired Gase and given Adams the most money of any safety? Sure, and then when the next player wants ridiculous money. A D; got to love that guy.

Also, Jets are not a great safety away from being a great team, where Seattle may be. So, it makes sense. But I love how the a 1st is a 1st when we trade away a pick, be when we get the pick a 28th pick is no better than a 2nd.

Two things to keep in mind. First the difference between 32 and 33 is that 32 has a 5th year option. Secondly, we saved a ton a cap space next year when the cap may be small.

Should we have signed Adams and the risk not being able to extend Sam? (okay probably not happen). You don't cave to these guys, you don't sign early and overpay, and you have to keep in mind that there are other advantages to the trade.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

But otherwise a swell guy

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the only thing that knocks it down is that for 2020, the Jets are not as good of a team as they would have been with Adams.  Had the trade somehow included a player like WR Tyler Lockett that would help the team immediately it might have been a win-win for both now and the future.  As it stands today the Jets clearly got the better of this deal....but it's more like 1 small step back (downgrading the D in 2020) to get 3 steps forward in 2021 and beyond.

No trade involving Adams was ever going to mitigate the loss in the short-term.  Teams that wanted Adams were contenders only really interested in giving up draft capital. 

MAYBE we could have gotten an expiring contract back for Adams, like Matt Judon from Baltimore, but that would have been the absolute most we could expect in a deal like that.  And even that would have been unrealistic.  My guess is the Ravens would rather get another full season out of Judon than move him, and then just take the comp pick.

Why would the Seahawks give up their WR1 in a deal for the SS when they hope to win a title within the next 2 seasons?  Makes no sense.

7 hours ago, Jethead said:

Pretty realistic assessment and the author is right, very depressing if you are a Jets fan. Lumps us with the leagues bottom dwellers and rightfully so.

Nope.  Only depressing if you're an obsessive "Jamal above the jersey" guy.  That's a very small % of people here and among Jets fans at large.

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The 2020 team is better with Ja-mal only if he got paid which wasn't happening here.  So he would have been off the field/locker room kryptonite.  How does that make the 2020 team better?  

As soon as Ja-mal wasn't getting paid we were a better team w/o him.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Whom is Darnold thee speaks of ? ?? I've heard of an urban legend named Darnold .. a QB of rare quality ... One that can shoulder a franchise and lead them to the promised land with great fundementals and stamina ... Sadly all mine eyes have witnessed is a bewildered, mechanically unsound, mono stricken boy who hath mentioned bearing witness to spirits of the bygone past.

I say again ...

Whom is this Darnold thee speaks of ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Me thinks thou dost protest too much!  Or is it "I" thinks?

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I never noticed the vitriol for the Jets really until Rex and his big mouth came along.  People acted like Rex stole their lunch money because he had the audacity to say we had a good team in 2009

23 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He’s a jet hating clown.  Way to lose credibility 

Yup. Follow that site for the other guy. Walt is an absolute idiot and is constantly trying to hawk his equally stupid sounding book on Amazon. The real value on that site is the other guy Charlie Campbell. He does the scouting reports and has any insider scoop the site provides.