Hakeem Butler visits the Jets

Rhg1084

30 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Sadly, we have actually drafted 11 WRs over the past 10 drafts.  Which is not an abnormally low number.  It's just that most of those were selected by Idzik/Macc.

• Scotty McKnight
  • Jordan White
  • Stephen Hill
  • Jalen Saunders
  • Shaquille Evans
  • Quincy Enunwa
  • Devin Smith
  • Charone Peake
  • Ardarius Stewart
  • Chad Hansen
  • Denzel Mims

Out of those picks, Enunwa was the only valuable asset for as long as his body lasted, and Mims we still haven't seen play yet. 

By comparison, BAL drafted 12, TB 8 (but 2 of them were Evans and Godwin), KC 10 and so on.

Also, I don't know where this tidbit originated but it's wrong (or misleading).

Ravens drafted 2 WRs a number of times, including 2015 when they took Perriman and a 7th rounder named Darren Waller.

What a miserable list of draftees.  Usually you have some guys that you are high on when they are drafted but simply don’t work out.  I don’t think I was enthusiastic about anyone on that list (except Mims) prior to their drafts.   The only guy I kinda liked was Shaq Evans, but that was projecting him as a 7th round pick and not a 4th round pick.  The rest of that list is about as un-inspiring as it gets.   I despised the Hill and Smith picks, the Jets have avoided nearly all of the WR talent in the last decade, that’s hard to do considering how many receivers get drafted every year.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

They are unless another team wants to sign them to their active roster.

Or if we just let them go.

Not really under contract, with all the contingencies, the practice squad changes all the time.  On top of that the rules for carrying players especially with regards to QBs have changed

Like just about everyone, I really liked Butler's college highlight film and wanted the Jets to pick him in the mid rounds last year.  He couldn't have been a worse pick than Polite, that's for sure.

Having said that, he is a guy with great physical gifts who fell to the 4th round, landed on IR with a mysterious injury for his entire rookie season, then got cut before playing a meaningful snap.

Would I like us to bring him in?  Yes.  Do I think we are all getting overly excited about a guy who just got cut and passed over by every other NFL team? Yes.

But what the hell....add him to the 53 in the open roster spot, and sign an OL or ILB to the open spot on the PS for added depth there.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Like just about everyone, I really liked Butler's college highlight film and wanted the Jets to pick him in the mid rounds last year.  He couldn't have been a worse pick than Polite, that's for sure.

Having said that, he is a guy with great physical gifts who fell to the 4th round, landed on IR with a mysterious injury for his entire rookie season, then got cut before playing a meaningful snap.

Would I like us to bring him in?  Yes.  Do I think we are all getting overly excited about a guy who just got cut and passed over by every other NFL team? Yes.

But what the hell....add him to the 53 in the open roster spot, and sign an OL or ILB to the open spot on the PS fo added depth there.

yeah, low risk with some reward if we were and he did anything. 

We are also talking about fans of the JETS who think Perriman is the answer for us at WR. 

13 hours ago, choon328 said:

A 4th round pick in 2019 that couldn't even fetch a late pick in a trade and people are acting like he's going to come here and start from day one.  I hope you all are right but there's reason he was cut after 1 season. KeeSean Johnson (who?) and Trent Scherfield (who?) made the team over him. A 2019 6th rd pick and an udfa. That doesn't bode well for Butler.

We don't know what happened and right now no one is trading for player in his situation when they can just wait for him to be released.  With the Covid 19 eliminating preseason games, no one has seen this guy on the field and think another team is going to trade for him?   We are in uncharted waters so you have to think out side the box a little.  Butler was hurt last season and they feel very good with their receiver corp.  He was a fourth round pick, very talented but somewhat raw and having a rep for dropping passes.   They felt confident enough to cut him and had he passed waivers, they might have  resigned him to their PS.  What I am interested in is whether our coaches think they can develop him or not.  If so they need to sign him with the quickness. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

No downside to bringing this guy in. 

The cardinals cutting him so quickly is a bit fishy. There are obviously some issues there, but this guy is worthy of a look. 

i read that he is like a drop machine that can go up and make a spectacular catch once in a while. why by the way was also his pre-draft rap.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

No downside to bringing this guy in. 

The cardinals cutting him so quickly is a bit fishy. There are obviously some issues there, but this guy is worthy of a look. 

There are issues it seems.

It's interesting that he's not even on their PS.  That tells me that with 16 available spots they don't even feel like Butler can develop into a WR5 over the next year or two.  He may have some uncorrectable dimensions to his game.  I'm not sure if that relates to his route-running, his ability to grasp the playbook, etc. but the fact the Cardinals don't think they can be improved in a year is a big red flag.  I think my earlier Jachai Polite comparison might be valid.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

There are.

It's interesting that he's not even on their PS.  That tells me that with 16 available spots they don't even feel like Butler can develop into a WR5 over the next year or two.  He may have some uncorrectable dimensions to his game.  I'm not sure if that relates to his route-running, his ability to grasp the playbook, etc. but the face the Cardinals don't think they can be improved in a year is a big red flag.  I think my earlier Jachai Polite comparison might be valid.

Very possible. 

Still, I think we have enough unproven WRs on the roster that he is worthy of a look. I agree that he's probably just a bust. 

Here are a few quotes about Butler from his receivers coach on the Cards (during his rookie camp). Sounds like he just needs a lot of coaching up. 

“”The first trait Raih used to describe Butler is “mentally tough,” a trait he says all three of the drafted receivers have.

At 6-5, 227 pounds, “he’s just your big rangy guy who’s got a ton of physicality.”

He also has speed.

However, Butler is “just raw” in terms of a player.

“His footwork is raw,” Raih said. “We’re going to train him to really increase his route ability, but as far as mindset, ability, length, hands, he ran a 4.48, he’ll be an outside guy to start and I’m really looking forward to training with him.””

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There are issues it seems.

It's interesting that he's not even on their PS.  That tells me that with 16 available spots they don't even feel like Butler can develop into a WR5 over the next year or two.  He may have some uncorrectable dimensions to his game.  I'm not sure if that relates to his route-running, his ability to grasp the playbook, etc. but the face the Cardinals don't think they can be improved in a year is a big red flag.  I think my earlier Jachai Polite comparison might be valid.

We gave up on Polite based on 4 pre-season games and didn't even give him a year to develop on our PS. Yet he made the Rams this year https://ramblinfan.com/2020/09/06/year-la-rams-olb-jachai-polite-realizes-potential/

The Cardinals did give Butler the 2019 pre-season (even though he missed the regular season due to injury) and the 2020 offseason/training camp to show them something. Their actions say they weren't impressed.

I still think it's too early to give up on a guy with that kind of physical traits who had good college productivity in a major conference. Unless he is acting like a total a@@ in his meetings with teams, he'll get another shot with someone.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

We gave up on Polite based on 4 pre-season games and didn't even give him a year to develop on our PS. Yet he made the Rams this year https://ramblinfan.com/2020/09/06/year-la-rams-olb-jachai-polite-realizes-potential/

The Cardinals did give Butler the 2019 pre-season (even though he missed the regular season due to injury) and the 2020 offseason/training camp to show them something. Their actions say they weren't impressed.

I still think it's too early to give up on a guy with that kind of physical traits who had good college productivity in a major conference. Unless he is acting like a total a@@ in his meetings with teams, he'll get another shot with someone.

No problem with it. Kyle Phillips, Jordan Wills, and Frankie Luvu beat him out. Harvey Langi is one of the best ST guys on the team as well. 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Here are a few quotes about Butler from his receivers coach on the Cards (during his rookie camp). Sounds like he just needs a lot of coaching up. 

“”The first trait Raih used to describe Butler is “mentally tough,” a trait he says all three of the drafted receivers have.

At 6-5, 227 pounds, “he’s just your big rangy guy who’s got a ton of physicality.”

He also has speed.

However, Butler is “just raw” in terms of a player.

“His footwork is raw,” Raih said. “We’re going to train him to really increase his route ability, but as far as mindset, ability, length, hands, he ran a 4.48, he’ll be an outside guy to start and I’m really looking forward to training with him.””

It would seem that he fits with this team if that’s really the only issue. Last year when Vyncint Smith was plucked off the Texans practice squad, it was reported that Demaryius Thomas had vouched for Smith to the Jets front office. Specifically, there was mention that Gase was big on coaching up technique for receivers so that they could maximize their physical traits. Basically, Gase wants his receivers to learn technique in order to run good  routes, the opposite was the Patriots who just want you to get open on routes without much focus on technique.

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It would seem that he fits with this team if that’s really the only issue. Last year when Vyncint Smith was plucked off the Texans practice squad, it was reported that Demaryius Thomas had vouched for Smith to the Jets front office. Specifically, there was mention that Gase was big on coaching up technique for receivers so that they could maximize their physical traits. Basically, Gase wants his receivers to learn technique in order to run good  routes, the opposite was the Patriots who just want you to get open on routes without much focus on technique.

What’s some crazy sh*t is that when a guy like this gets dumped, it’s usually because he’s a paint-chip-eating buffoon, but Butler apparently rocked a 27 on the Wonderlic. 

F26427AE-246F-44A8-AC7F-5FF2DE30A5F8.png

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Should we consider two practice squad QBs "under contract"?

Is JD sending Sam a message with all these QB’s signed and still scouring the junkyard? Is JD looking for his OWN QB since Sam was Macc’s pick?  Hopefully, JD can check his ego. Sam is the man.

18 hours ago, C Mart said:

After 1 season?  And to not even sign him to your PS?  

So he can’t grasp the playbook, attitude issues, bad teammate, off the field issues or a combination? 

He can't catch a football.

Still would be interested in him or another new WR though.  Grabbing one newcomer WR to add to the team would at least stop a little bit of the whining.

3 hours ago, Stark said:

We are also talking about fans of the JETS who think Perriman is the answer for us at WR. 

Who has said this?  Even the most bullish Perriman believers think of him as a WR2/WR3.  

We all recognize (or should recognize) the reality of the situation.  He was signed to a 1-year, $6.5M "show me" deal for a reason, even in a very thin FA WR market where he was the 2nd biggest name after Robby Anderson.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Is JD sending Sam a message with all these QB’s signed and still scouring the junkyard? Is JD looking for his OWN QB since Sam was Macc’s pick?  Hopefully, JD can check his ego. Sam is the man.

If JD gave Darnold a 5 year contract extension some of you would suspect he would have given him 6 years if he had drafted him. 

JD is merely filling out the depth on the roster and trying to have capable backups in case of injury at EVERY position. That's his job. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

No, not at all.

JD has said plenty of times he loves Darnold and that Sam is their guy.  GMs don’t automatically redraft that position just because they didn’t draft him

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, not at all.

JD has said plenty of times he loves Darnold and that Sam is their guy.  GMs don’t automatically redraft that position just because they didn’t draft him

I'm sure he does plan on Darnold being "the guy" beyond his rookie deal, and it would take a pretty bad 2020 out of him for that status to change.

But exactly what else would you expect him to say when it comes to Darnold?  If he had said instead "we're constantly evaluating the roster, and that includes everyone in our QB room", there would have been a media/fan firestorm.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure he does plan on Darnold being "the guy" beyond his rookie deal, and it would take a pretty bad 2020 out of him for that status to change.

But exactly what else would you expect him to say when it comes to Darnold?  If he had said instead "we're constantly evaluating the roster, and that includes everyone in our QB room", there would have been a media/fan firestorm.  

He brought it up, no one asked him.  All QBs, even if JD drafted him have to produce something to get to their 2nd contract, I get that.  Question was are we sending a message by having a lot of backup QBs on the roster, that’s all

He brought it up, no one asked him.  All QBs, even if JD drafted him have to produce something to get to their 2nd contract, I get that.  Question was are we sending a message by having a lot of backup QBs on the roster, that’s all
I sure as hell hope so ... Don't produce ... We are going to look to replace you ... Nothing personal ... All business.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Sam recovered from mono, went 6-2 down the stretch, 7-6 overall with the worst O-line and worst receiving corp in the league and he hasn't proven himself. Really? That was an amazing performance considering the cards he was dealt last year.

Correct, he still hasn't proven himself.  Everything you listed is nice.  He needs to be at minimum a top 20 QB in 2020 or its time to bring in some competition. 

It's Year 3 and he needs to demonstrate he's worthy of a 2nd contract.  He hasn't yet, and we can't start talking about a $35M+ per year contract until that happens.  We need to see some consistency.  It would also be nice to see him play a full 16-game schedule.