The hate on Darnold is bothersome to me

Alka

If the Online is even 'middle of the pack' we should get a clear idea of the real Sam Darnold.

Yeah with this wr corp you are not going to see Darnold jump QBR rankings dramatically but with an improved online...if that happens, whomever the real Sam Darnold is, he will reveal himself.

It's not just Sam, it's can Gase put his qb in a position to win?

It's put up or shut up time for coach Gase.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

IMG_3714.JPG this is what “the goat “ did last year vs the Bills in Buffalo . Like I said, tomorrow may not be the best, but I do expect him to stamp himself by season’s end

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

THe goat is well past his prime. Darnold needs to be much better than BRady was last year to justify the investment

• Upvote 1

Some people have been overly harsh and unrealistic in their evaluations of Darnold.

His rookie year was up and down, but he managed to finish strong and put up a couple of very good performances. Go back and watch his games against Green Bay and Indianapolis. He went punch for punch with two of the league's best quarterbacks with a much worse supporting cast. It was very impressive for a rookie.

He improved in every major statistical category in his second year while playing behind a horrendous offensive line, no running game whatsoever, and the worst set of skill position players in the league. All while dealing with a physically draining disease for the entire season.

Does he still have much to prove? Absolutely. However, he is the sole reason the Jets have been a semi-competitive team the past two seasons. Without him, I strongly believe they are contending for the #1 overall pick both years.

Context and circumstances matter. In my opinion, he deserves some benefit of the doubt if you are honest about the situation. Give him adequate protection and a consistent running game, and I truly believe he is going to prove his doubters wrong and show he can be a top quarterback in this league.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Does not matter to me that others don't like Darnold.  People have their opinions and that is okay.

What bothers me is that after two years, we still have these debates.  He has never had a competent OL to play behind.  He has never had a solid group of WRs th throw to.  He has never had a strong running game.  He has battled through injury, illness and coaching changes.  

At the same time, he has not performed at a high level consistently.  He has flashed at times, had a couple stretches where he has looked really good, but other stretches where he has looked terrible.  Statistically he has been a below average QB.  We don't know who he is yet.

By the end of this season, we need to know.  Is he the guy to build around, or should we look to move on.  With 4 1st rounders in the next two drafts, we are well positioned to do either.  I hope he makes it clear during the next 16 weeks that he is a top 12 QB.  And then we can use the resources to build around him.  But I don't want to be in the position where we are having these same debates through the 2021 offseason.

It's a make or break season for darnold? Why?   Jets are not a good team and just started building around him this offseason. The line is improved. Great. He still has no weapons around him.

We easily have the worst wr core in the league.

Our #1 wr (perriman) has been a complete bust outside of a handful of games last year. He has 1500 yards in his 4 year career. In comparison, Michael Thomas had 1700 yards last year. 

Mims - injured and i expect nothing from him this year. 

Crowder - I actually like crowder. solid slot wr. 

And then we have a bunch of trash that wouldn't make another roster in the league. 

Chris hogan?

Braxton berrios? 6 catches last year

Josh malone? 7 catches in 3 years

But its a make or break year for sam? GTFOH. Pat Mahomes would look terrible throwing to these scrubs. 

I just want to see improvement from Sam.

Screenshot_20200912-224623_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7e9ac45755000bfe4d7c16604ec29b29.jpg

He Improved in every category from year 1 to year 2. Let's continue to see improvement from year 2 to year 3.

Realistic expectations: 3500 yards 23 tds 10 ints & a 90 qb rating

• Thumb Down 1

33 minutes ago, Lith said:

Does not matter to me that others don't like Darnold.  People have their opinions and that is okay.

What bothers me is that after two years, we still have these debates.  He has never had a competent OL to play behind.  He has never had a solid group of WRs th throw to.  He has never had a strong running game.  He has battled through injury, illness and coaching changes.  

I am so tired of these same dang excuses about every QB. It’s like Groundhog Day for the last 40 years!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

In all honesty **** the haters. Most of them are self loathing nerds who lash out because they're losers. That's Manish's shtick. He's a bitch. Pretty much all the people who actually watch and like the team are behind Darnold. He's still younger than Burrow and we've failed him with talent more than he's failed us

Oddly enough, Manish basically has a crush on Darnold.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is so 100% totally backwards it is not even funny.

I said it to be funny as I thought it was when I wrote it, but let me be clear on this point:

If it comes to it, if we finish 2020 and Darnold looks the same as 2019 and Gase looks the same as 2019 and there is friction and one of them has to go, it's Sam that needs to go, not Gase.

If after 3 full seasons Darnold is what he is, perhaps a ceiling of Pennington, then you have to find a better quarterback.  Gase, on the other hand, has shown to be a very strong head coach.  Gase did an incredible job holding this team together last year, it's early but he looks to be the best head coach we've found in our lifetimes save Parcells.

SAR I

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

It's a make or break season for darnold?

He'll likely do just enough for the believers to maintain faith but not enough for the doubters to stop doubting.  QB rating in high 80's and the debate will rage on

I do not see much hate but I see a lot of doubt.   I think this doubt is premature, the talent he has had to work with and the coaching is atrocious.
My other feeling is that people that are salivating over Trevor Lawrence are way off base.
Bring in any  new young Qb with the jets as they are and he will have as tough a time if not more tough than darnold.
I do not have tons of patience for prospects as they have to show something really good early but with Darnold he needs more talent and better coaching.
The problem is ... You don't have an indefinite window with a rookie QB ... He either undisputedly shows as The Man by year 4 or you keep looking.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

In all honesty **** the haters. Most of them are self loathing nerds who lash out because they're losers. That's Manish's shtick. He's a bitch. Pretty much all the people who actually watch and like the team are behind Darnold. He's still younger than Burrow and we've failed him with talent more than he's failed us
You sound mad enough to kill someone

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

I honestly see some Eli Manning in Darnold (different play styles obviously). I think Darnold is a guy that if you give him good weapons, he can be a top 10 QB that you can win a Super Bowl with, but he will always have a dumb mistake here or bad streak of play there that will keep him out of the top 5. 

For all the talk about second year QBs that busted out, 

Jared Goff - relied upon Gurley having a huge season in 2017 and being surrounded by quality WRs and having a good OL. 

Wentz - Philly was not a terrible team when they drafted him, they traded up to pick 2nd overall. By Wentz's second year, a lot of that young talent had developed. 

Mahomes - generational player (no doubt), but KC traded up from the 20s to draft Mahomes. They already had a playoff caliber team around him. 

Watson - Another team that was playoff caliber, but had a hole at QB when they drafted Watson. A lot of his game was predicated on scrambling around and chucking it up to Hopkins, who catches everything. First game for Watson without Hopkins was ..... ok. 1td and 1 pick. 

10 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

What team was he the starting QB of?

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

In 1995 when he contracted mono he was the Houston Oilers starting qb even though they drafted Steve McNair that year. He had to leave the game in week 13 sick and missed the rest of the season. His illness allowed McNair to start and Chandler was traded to Atlanta where he was the starter for a few years making the pro bowl in 97 and 98. He was the qb who led Atlanta to a 14-2 record and the super bowl in the 98-99 season where they got killed by the Elway led Broncos.

Isnt the internet a wonderful thing?

3 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Wow, I didn’t realize he had regressed that much! Sarcasm inserted.

I like Sam. I expect him to quiet the doubters, me included, with a good year. If he doesn't,  the Jets should and will consider all options.

I don't care about numbers, his last 5 games were not what the Jets need from a franchise QB.

13 hours ago, fusionCA said:

The offensive line had nothing to do with Darnold getting mono 

Thats irresponsible and stupid , keeping yourself healthy and be careful who you get close to is just as important. 

The level of excuses for Darnold is off the charts 

Oh tell us Dr fusion, how did Sam catch mono?  

You do realize that it doesnt have to happen through some irresponsible kiss.  You know the kind of thing every normal person goes through.  

You get mono through a cough or sneeze, or by sharing a glass or food utensils with someone who has mono.  So how is any of this, even getting it from kissing irresponsible or careless?  The real question is how is it an excuse? 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Has any other QB in NFL history gotten mono during the NFL season?

Honestly asking.

I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

And?  Youre point is what?  He caught mono, you have no idea how and wonder who else has caught it before as if that makes a difference somehow

• Upvote 1