What is the plan here JD

kevinc855

Now I know there is some weird man crush with JD among the fan base without any real rationale...so I ask you

What is JD's plan here? This team went from bad to an absolute dumpster fire. 

He says we aren't punting on the season. So just talk I guess?

He has let Robby go, sent Adams packing which I believe will haunt him forever. He continues to support Gase. He really did nothing to improve this roster. 

I'm confused, someone please tell me the plan here.....

• Thumb Down 7

5 minutes ago, slats said:

If you actually believe this, there's no point in explaining anything to you. 

we know you are one of those guys more concerned with a twitter feed then actual football play on the field....easily triggered....I was just happy to have a good safety on the field

It’s really not that hard to comprehend. The team was driven into the ground by Mac for five years. If you are mad about how long this is taking, be mad at the idiots who let a completely incompetent GM run the ship for that long. 

Free agency has been a cesspool because anyone worth a damn either gets resigned or franchise tagged. 

The real play over the past few years was to draft well and resign your young talent before contracts adjusted to the inflated cap. But we have no talent to resign because we drafted so poorly. Now, contracts are bonkers, and with covid, the cap might tighten up in the near future. It’s a lot riskier to sign big contracts right now. 

I suspect Douglas isn’t going to be a free agent buyer most years anyways. He’s disciplined with value and long-term it’s going to come down to how well he drafts anyways. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If you believe jd is smart, he did this on purpose to get rid of gase and darnold in 1 year

He didn't pick either of them

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Definitely not out of the realm of possibility. But I think he believes in Darnold and beefed up the OL to protect him and basically “get him through the year.”

But there is a chance he’ll trade Sam away for whatever we can get. I can’t see us winning more than 3 games this year so we’ll probably be picking top 3 and with all of our picks in prime position for a QB.

19 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Now I know there is some weird man crush with JD among the fan base without any real rationale...so I ask you

I don't think anyone has a "crush".  I think alot of folks think a General Manager needs more than one offseason to "fix" a team like ours when he inherited it.

Sure seems that way.  With that said, you don't fire a GM every year.  Coaches, maybe.  But not GM's.

Probably.

He has let Robby go

Lets stop with this lie.  He made a very fair offer to Anderson, Anderson CHOSE to go elsewhere for a similar offer.

Let me repeat, Anderson chose to leave the Jets for a minimal pay increase.  His choice, not ours.  There was no earthly reason to overpay for the likes of an Anderson.  

, sent Adams packing which I believe will haunt him forever.

I doubt it.  Lets see what we do with those two #1 picks first, eh?

He continues to support Gase. He really did nothing to improve this roster. 

We don't know any more than you do.  None of us does.

12 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

It’s really not that hard to comprehend. The team was driven into the ground by Mac for five years. If you are mad about how long this is taking, be mad at the idiots who let a completely incompetent GM run the ship for that long. 

Free agency has been a cesspool because anyone worth a damn either gets resigned or franchise tagged. 

The real play over the past few years was to draft well and resign your young talent before contracts adjusted to the inflated cap. But we have no talent to resign because we drafted so poorly. Now, contracts are bonkers, and with covid, the cap might tighten up in the near future. It’s a lot riskier to sign big contracts right now. 

I suspect Douglas isn’t going to be a free agent buyer most years anyways. He’s disciplined with value and long-term it’s going to come down to how well he drafts anyways. 

so how many years of bad teams is acceptable? When do we start asking for winning seasons. The fire Mac calls came around season 3

This is JD season 2...

Im just curious.....how long does his "process" take

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Adding what you think you know to what you believe, I'm starting to get the full picture. 

Adams burned the house down under the pretense of getting paid, and is now perfectly content playing somewhere else for the exact same contract that was too abhorrent to him to continue playing under with the Jets. Or did you miss that part of the story? 

He's not going to be haunted by that trade, it will be hailed as his best move and one of the best trades in league history. Just an unbelievable haul for such a low value position. 

how you can make that comment without even knowing who the jets drafted yet shows your complete bias...

After all we have a long history of draft picks panning out right??

• Thumb Down 1

Looks to me like he is committed to a total rebuild.  Which would only make sense if he is not sold on Darnold.  Regardless of what he says, just look at his actions.

Trading Jamal, failure to add any significant FA WRs other than Perriman, who was at best a lateral replacement for Anderson, but is likey to be a downgrade.  He draffted a QB in the 4th round.  Left a lot of cap space for the future.  Didn't go after big ticket FA.  Instead takiing chances on second tier, stop gap guys on ST deals.

Everything he has done suggests total rebuild.  Maybe with the thought that Darnold has this year to prove he can be the guy.  Don't think JD could have possibly expected the total decimation otfthe WR corps so far.  The guys you expected to be Darnold's top 4 receivers all down to injury: Smith, Perriman, Crowder and Mims.

These first two weeks have been uglier than anyone could have reasonably expected.  I hope it gets better, but I am resigned to the fact that this is now a tear down year.

As for JD, jury is out.  I am willing to be patient.  You can't judge his first draft class after two games.  But the product that he and Gase are putting on the field so far this year is embarrassing.  Poorly coached, banged up, untalented roster which lacked big time playmakers even if healthy.   Through two weeks, 2020 is a disaster.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Looks to me like he is committed to a total rebuild.  Which would only make sense if he is not sold on Darnold.  Regardless of what he says, just look at his actions.

Trading Jamal, failure to add any significant FA WRs other than Perriman, who was at best a lateral replacement for Anderson, but is likey to be a downgrade.  He draffted a QB in the 4th round.  Left a lot of cap space for the future.  Didn't go after big ticket FA.  Instead takiing chances on second tier, stop gap guys on ST deals.

Everything he has done suggests total rebuild.  Maybe with the thought that Darnold has this year to prove he can be the guy.  Don't think JD could have possibly expected the total decimation otfthe WR corps so far.  The guys you expected to be Darnold's top 4 receivers all down to injury: Smith, Perriman, Crowder and Mims.

These first two weeks have been uglier than anyone could have reasonably expected.  I hope it gets better, but I am resigned to the fact that this is now a tear down year.

As for JD, jury is out.  I am willing to be patient.  You can't judge his first draft class after two games.  But the product that he and Gase are putting on the field so far this year is embarrassing.  Poorly coached, banged up, untalented roster which lacked big time playmakers even if healthy.   Through two weeks, 2020 is a disaster.

Agreed.  Even if you’re breaking it down, you still need to field a team that can at least be somewhat competitive, thus far we are very far away from that.  I wasn’t expecting playoffs this year, but I also wasn’t expecting this.  Hard to develop anyone when the level of play is this bad.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

When FA started, the Jets did not have alot of cap room, and did not have an OL.

I think JD determined that he would do his best to protect Darnold but not give out FA contracts to players who were overvalued.  He would build gradually through the draft,  I don't think the intent was to tank.   There were a bunch of WRs also on the roster worth a shot-the Smiths, Doctson, etc.  He had Adams on his rookie contract and Mosley coming back, so defense should have been ok.

He traded down and tried to draft as many players as possible.

He was still evaluating Darnold but did not have the cap space or opportunity to fully build around him.  So they are punting.  

But in the meantime:

• Mosley and Doctson opted out.
  • Adams was traded.
  • Injuries ravaged the roster
  • The Jets first two games were against deep playoff opponents.
  • Gase and Williams have not coached well.

Plan if it was me?

• Replace Loggains with Cooter.  This helps Darnold develop or builds his trade value.
  • Play the season out.
  • Draft a QB if one falls to their lap.
  • Otherwise work with Darnold until 5th year option, and then decide whether its Darnold or a Cousins FA type.  
  • Continue to build at the key positions.
  • Replace Gase for 2021, at the latest.  He is hopeless. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Even if you’re breaking it down, you still need to field a team that can at least be somewhat competitive, thus far we are very far away from that.  I wasn’t expecting playoffs this year, but I also wasn’t expecting this.  Hard to develop anyone when the level of play is this bad.  

I don’t think he has to.  The only area he really tried to improve this offseason was the OL, which would help both darnold (in theory) or the next qb.  The situation is setting up much nicer for the next qb.

26 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

so how many years of bad teams is acceptable? When do we start asking for winning seasons. The fire Mac calls came around season 3

This is JD season 2...

Im just curious.....how long does his "process" take

You keep saying year 2. I’m just curious as well, who did JD draft in year 1?

• Upvote 2

JD deserves some time. He inherited a lousy roster and a HC who looks pretty bad. I've liked ALL of his trades so far. I'm okay with just signing "hold the fort guys" while rebuilding through the draft. Gonna take at least 3 years of that to really see its effects, either good or not.

His first draft does concern me a bit. I loved the trade downs and the 1st and 2nd round picks. However, he should have double dipped at OL and WR in the 3rd round b/c those are areas of extreme weakness on the team but were areas of depth in the draft.  Then he could indulge in picks at other positions from the 4th round on. Basically, he decided to draft a little bit of everything.

That either shows a lack of urgency at building around a young QB, or he's really committed to a LONG rebuild.

54 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I hear this argument about how Macc destroyed the team and how JD is going to need years to undo the damage.  Then I see the 49ers last year, the Rams in 2018, the Eagles in 2017 and how quickly they were able to go from mediocre/garbage to the Superbowl.  So excuse me if I think it's reasonable to expect more than the sh!t product we are currently watching...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

He has let Robby go, sent Adams packing which I believe will haunt him forever. He continues to support Gase. He really did nothing to improve this roster. 

If I can say something that will make most feel marginally better or not. This season can or should really be about the Oline improving/functioning with the players we have there, which ironically are not doing horribly for the fact that they are all new and played in only 2 games together. Even if some backups get in there based on injuries to help here and there it assist with the depth. The Oline being 5 guys needs to be the foundation going forward and we will go from there. With marginal talent at skill positions and now most of them hurt we cannot expect much better than we are seeing out of this Offense though nobody wants to hear that. Heck, even a bad to average defense would be hard for us to score TDs on. The Oline and TEs at the very least were beating up the DLine of the Niners injury wise so they are at least being physical. That is where we have to start and progress moving forward. Didn't want to believe we were this bad, but turning this around this season (being competitive) is not looking good right now.     

You can commit to rebuild but you cant put this product on the field....

You also cant evaluate Sam by doing this to him, its not fair

Agreed. The problem is the lack of competitiveness. You can be a losing team and have a rebuilding year, but you can't be a national embarrassment, breaking records for offensive futility along the way. 

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

JEsus...another one. There is a definite sect in the fanbase that is coming out of the woodwork here.

The man is in YEAR ONE of his job remaking this team.  He has had ONE off-season.  This isn't Madden boys.  You don't get to rebuild a team with the flick of a controller.  We had ZERO talent.  In the time Joe Douglas has got here, in ONE YEAR, has so far done the following:

1. Drafted what looks like a franchise LT for the next decade (barring injuries)

2. Got a potential #2 receiver in Denzel Mims in the second round, while moving down in the draft to do it.

3. Traded a disgruntled free safety, who thinks he is better than he is, and turned him into 2 first round draft picks and a 3rd round pick over the next two drafts.

4. Rebuilt the entire OL.  5 new starters, including said franchise LT and (upon early returns) a VERY good RT in George Fant.  He also drafted a solid G in Cameron Clark.  Is this unit perfect?  But not bad considering they are all brand new parts.

5. Traded Leonard Williams for a 3rd round pick last year  (which we used on Ashtyn Davis)

6. Signed multiple guys to 1 year "see what you can do" type deals during a season that was going to be SCREWED from the get-go because of Covid.  This season will be won, not by sheer talent, but by which team can keep their starters all healthy the longest.  

Has everything worked? The above five I think are pretty great!  Has everything worked?  No.  You can debate what has and what hasn't, but not every move will work.  You have to try stuff, and so far, I would put finding a franchise LT, a potential #2 WR, complete 5-position rebuild on the OL, a potential starting S at a lower cost, and two extra first round draft picks as a DAMN fine first step.  

We will have to fully judge Douglas on year three.  What will all these draft picks look like then?  How are we looking depth wise?  How have the free agents worked out?  That is when we can finally see how things look for the future.  

WE GET IT....being a Jet fan sucks, and the countless attempts and failures at rebuilding this franchise.  Mike Mccagnan did not work out, but he got at least three years.  You HAVE to give a GM three years to see what a team will look like.  Otherwise, it is rinse and repeat.  

The big step now will be a) Does Joe Douglas actually have the keys to the franchise, and can he fire Adam Gase and bring in his guy? b) Can he follow up next year with another solid draft  c) How does he evaluate Darnold, and if he chooses to move in a different direction, what can he get for Darnold?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I’m guessing you were also in favor of the Bell signing 

and if JD did what you wanted, we’d be saddled with 3-4 similar “Bell” contracts for the next 3-4 years just to go 7-9

JD has a plan, it’s going to be long and painful to get there, but he’ll get there 

I keep hearing this but so far see nothing to show for it...

let me know when the magical plan starts developing so I don't have to watch what him and Gase are putting on the field now

The Jets were a horrible team with one of the worst rosters in the league. Mike Maccagnan and John Idzik (and for that matter, Rex era Tannenbaum) had drafted poorly for 10+ years.

Joe Douglas wouldn't come here at first because he knew the team was in really, really bad shape. We "godfathered" him with a massive 6 year offer that would guarantee he had the long term security and flexibility to do things his way.

The first step was to move on from bad deals of yesteryear. He moved Leonard Williams for a 3rd and a 5th. He moved malcontent Adams for two firsts and a third. He dumped Trumaine Johnson and the albatross of Quincy Enunwa.

He acquired picks and started to build the team through the draft -- which doesn't happen overnight, hence the 6 year deal. Because of Covid uncertainty he was frugal in FA giving out only short term deals. Depending on the cap next year he wanted a lot of flexibility.

The overall strategy makes sense. Jets fans don't like it because they're sick of losing -- but Joe Douglas isn't responsible for the fact that we haven't made the playoffs in ten years and doesn't have to answer for that.

The only real questions with regards to Douglas (at this point, anyway) are this:

1) What does he think about Adam Gase? This guy is his friend and helped him get the job. Does he actually think he's a good coach? Does he actually want to tie himself at the hip with this guy? He had to know that a down year would lead to pitchforks for a guy the fanbase already didn't like. 

2) What does he really think of Darnold? He had to know this was a sink or swim year for Darnold, and he obviously went the slow build/bargain route in terms of adding pieces to the offense.

Thus far I'm still high on Douglas even though the team is worse than I thought this year. It will be very interesting how this plays out though. If we bottom out and Gase and Darnold are replaced you'd have to wonder if it was by design -- it would certainly be the best opportunity for Douglas to build the team in his image.