Becton Injury

1 hour ago, mudcat22 said:

Not sure how you grade JDs draft bad because the players he took got injured?

As Bill Parcells once said the most important ability any football player can have is availability.

I agree though, we can't judge the quality, the future starting ability, etc. of guys until they're on the field playing.  But playing Devil's Advocate here, can we then not assess the offense, the HC, the QB, etc. if players aren't available?

3 hours ago, sackdance said:

Maybe I see things real different than you, but I don't see a reason in the world that the worst team in the league should coddle its best players. 

This makes no medical sense. It's the same tough guy rah rah bullsh*t that has no basis in science. Toughing it out it's foolish and typically leads to long term issues. Being a meathead doesn't make a player/coach better. Ridiculous line of thinking. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

As Bill Parcells once said the most important ability any football player can have is availability.

I agree though, we can't judge the quality, the future starting ability, etc. of guys until they're on the field playing.  But playing Devil's Advocate here, can we then not assess the offense, the HC, the QB, etc. if players aren't available?

I think you can't fault him as much because it wasn't like all of them got hurt in college. So he had no information to indicate they would get hurt other than zuniga. I do think the medical staff should be reassessed. There is a highly qualified physician who happens to be a Jets fan working in Columbus... I'm just saying...lol. Make it happen JD, sign this beast for all the money ?

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Does this mean that the pick of Becton by JD is ok now that he's not hurt seriously - the absurdity on this board today has reached new levels.  

No one talked trash about Becton being injured being a problem with Joe Douglas. Relax yourself. Must be hard being so upset all the time.

20 minutes ago, TheMo said:

This makes no medical sense. It's the same tough guy rah rah bullsh*t that has no basis in science. Toughing it out it's foolish and typically leads to long term issues. Being a meathead doesn't make a player/coach better. Ridiculous line of thinking. 

It's football. You play hurt if you can go. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

It's football. You play hurt if you can go. 

They used to have the same mentality in basketball and then Greg popovich basically schooled the league by embracing medical science. Football bro science is the equivalent of blood letting people who have pneumonia like they did in the 1800s. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheMo said:

They used to have the same mentality in basketball and then Greg popovich basically schooled the league by embracing medical science. Football bro science is the equivalent of blood letting people who have pneumonia like they did in the 1800s. 

I mean if you can play you play. Compete. Not really controversial. Half the roster being hurt deserves to be questioned at all angles.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I mean if you can play you play. Compete. Not really controversial. Half the roster being hurt deserves to be questioned at all angles.

I agree with this part.  The numerous injuries are a problem, and one that followed Gase from Miami. 

But that isn't the same thing as questioning why we aren't rushing people back from those injuries.  In a lost season I have zero desire of rushing back valuable assets and risking more significant injury. 

That part of it (not having players play injured/hurt) is just how professional sports are and it's not going to change anytime soon.  Continue complaining into the wind though, I suppose?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, pointman said:

No one talked trash about Becton being injured being a problem with Joe Douglas. Relax yourself. Must be hard being so upset all the time.

I guess you didn't read the thread about the awful Oline moves JD made then. And its rather ironic your upset with me being upset at upset Jet fans 

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree with this part.  The numerous injuries are a problem, and one that followed Gase from Miami. 

But that isn't the same thing as questioning why we aren't rushing people back from those injuries.  In a lost season I have zero desire of rushing back valuable assets and risking more significant injury. 

That part of it (not having players play injured/hurt) is just how professional sports are and it's not going to change anytime soon.  Continue complaining into the wind though, I suppose?

do you have any evidence Becton playing Thursday would risk a more significant injury?

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

side note i expect the fan tone on Becton to change as people realize he's the only one taking a knee during the anthem 

give him 4 years he will be Mo Wilkerson part 2 

As a player, no  one could have any  complaint at all.

That's too bad. But if someone conducts themselves quietly and respectfully while  expressing their  political views, while I think it has no place in the work place, have a hard time getting worked up about it, even I think he's wrongheaded . Did you have to go Wilkerson? 

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

side note i expect the fan tone on Becton to change as people realize he's the only one taking a knee during the anthem 

I hope he takes 2 knees.

Has 0 to do with his ability to perform on the field as a professional athlete.

• Post of the Week 2

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I look at the positive, all but one player didn't kneel.  I think we're kind of numb to kneeling now anyway, how many people even knew he kneeled?  

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

do you have any evidence Becton playing Thursday would risk a more significant injury?

Shoulder injuries can easily become torn labrums or rotator cuff injuries if aggravated.

If this was a Sunday game I'd be far more willing to let his practice participation dictate whether he plays or not.  Limited practices leading up to, hopefully, a full practice on Friday would put him back in the lineup.

A Thursday game changes that significantly.  Playing it safe with the franchise's most valuable asset would be prudent.  Rushing him back accomplishes....what, exactly?  Maybe saving Gase's job for another week?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Shoulder injuries can easily become torn labrums or rotator cuff injuries if aggravated.

If this was a Sunday game I'd be far more willing to let his practice participation dictate whether he plays or not.  Limited practices leading up to, hopefully, a full practice on Friday would put him back in the lineup.

A Thursday game changes that significantly.  Playing it safe with the franchise's most valuable asset would be prudent.  Rushing him back accomplishes....what, exactly?  Maybe saving Gase's job for another week?

Other side of that coin.....rush him back, really gets hurt bad, and removes all doubt about Gase. Bye, bye.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

unless his doctor says there is risk of him playing I call BS. Yes, certain shoulder injuries can become worse. We don't know what his was or if it can.

14 hours ago, TheMo said:

I now know the next airplane banner we want to fly over One Jets Drive....

343593154_ScreenShot2020-09-29at9_47_06AM.png.05023267ebfc6a29f377a184f72f640b.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Too many people are talking in generalities here. You can't say he should, or should not, play injured unless you know the type and severity of the injury. I imagine every player plays every game with some pain. If the doctors conclude there is little or no chance of further injury, and he can play with the pain, then play. If, however, the doctors say he could aggravate the injury, then it is not worth it to take the chance.

But you can't generalize "no player should play with any injury" or "a player should play with 5 broken bones".

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, bitonti said:

myself included

as individuals im sure we are all really great people 

as a group we are the mixed flavor at the end of dum dum factory runs where it's inbetween like root beer and grape and they just slap a ??? mark on it 

the island of misfit toys

Speak for yourself. And it's more like pineapple.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1