Why the Jets will resign Darnold, and why they should!

Alka

21 minutes ago, pointman said:

The Giants aren't winning 2 Super Bowls with Darnold, gtfo. Todays game is about elite quarterback play. The days of shut down defenses like the Ravens, winning with no talent quarterback play are gone. Darnold was "the guy" because promise of elite play. He has failed to deliver. Your notion of "He may not be able to elevate the players around him, but perhaps with the right players around him, he can be successful," is a sad indictment on the new reality of what to hope for from him. Its no longer about him being lights out elite, but more about 'if we surround him with super talent, maybe he can be serviceable". Holding onto optimism about him while having our expectations continually lowered isn't what we want or need. Not. Good. Enough. 

I respect your opinion, but a few slight adjustments to what I believe.  I don't believe we need to surround Darnold with "super talent", and I do believe he can be "more than serviceable".  Not elite, but a quality quarterback.  He'll never be Russel Wilson or Aaron Rogers, but I do believe he can be a Dak Prescott or a Tannehill.  To me, that's good enough.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets will exercise their 5th year option for Darnold.  Just in case.

They will pray he does not get hurt and revoke it if he does not turn it around, like they did with Coples.  

If they can draft another QB to replace Darnold and then trade him, they will.  

That's a silly $25M gamble.  No chance they do that.  

They'll draft a QB then trade him, probably prior to the 5th year option deadline.  Either way there's no chance they risk paying him that kind of money.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They'll draft a QB then trade him, probably prior to the 5th year option deadline.  Either way there's no chance they risk paying him that kind of money.

As of right now (barring any changes), the draft is April 29th to May 1st and the 5th year option deadline is May 3rd.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I take it back. Not everyone on this site would be a better GM than Macc.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

As of right now (barring any changes), the draft is April 29th to May 1st and the 5th year option deadline is May 3rd.

Correct.  I'm suggesting they'll pick a QB on April 29th and trade Darnold prior to the May 3rd deadline.  These things are always very possible.

In fact, if we end up with a top 2 or 3 pick, Douglas could start negotiating a trade like that in March, knowing we'd be taking a QB, only to make it official on April 30th.

Either way there's absolutely zero reason to exercise a 5th year option, especially not before May 3rd.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup.

Amazing how people think going from this....

668222F8-F74D-47CC-8672-1AE47E48D909.thumb.jpeg.1e4ad185e0220c3d196c4586bda9e8c2.jpeg

...to this....

BFBD704E-2948-4F46-8EE4-C875159DC71C.thumb.jpeg.6bded762a3dc6caf4d80ee5a465dec10.jpeg

would be better. 

Not a big different there, actually.  Darnold accumulated some numbers in garbage time to boost up the ol' QB rating.  Then, unsurprisingly, he fell flat on his fact the next week.  

Both QB's suck.  Darnold being slightly better is no consolation.  The only thing we can confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt is Joe Douglas is already far better at his job than Dave Gettleman.

I'd rather see Morgan get the rest of this year and next then give Darnold real money at this point.  Darnold needs to be sat down for at least a year or two before he will be mature enough and sound enough to be a very good NFL QB.  Sinking big money on him now is really dumb.  Plunkett lived up to his potential when he was in his early 30's.  Doug Williams reached his potential at 32.  

You simply can't strap the team with a QB on franchise QB money who hasn't shown he has the goods to be a franchise QB.  And that doesn't mean Sam doesn't have potential and won't be really good.  Sam wants the Jets to show me the money, show me the franchise QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Correct.  I'm suggesting they'll pick a QB on April 29th and trade Darnold prior to the May 3rd deadline.  These things are always very possible.

In fact, if we end up with a top 2 or 3 pick, Douglas could start negotiating a trade like that in March, knowing we'd be taking a QB, only to make it official on April 30th.

Either way there's absolutely zero reason to exercise a 5th year option, especially not before May 3rd.

This is the only way it can play out

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

There is more than a shadow. There is a doubt. The jury is still out. After 15 months on the job Joe Douglas still has the worst roster in the NFL and is in charge of an organization that can’t keep players healthy. There is currently zero proof that Joe Douglas is better at his job than any other NFL GM right now. There is only hope. 

theOL issig better thanlastyearso far see fo

7 hours ago, Alka said:

I started a thread before the season that this season is the season to judge Darnold, regardless of the talent or lack of talent around him.

Darnold has failed thus far, and to say anything else is just not honest.  He has proven that he is not able to elevate the players around him.

So why will the Jets resign him, and why should they?

Sam has shown that he has the talent and the ability to succeed in the NFL.  He may not be able to elevate the players around him, but perhaps with the right players around him, he can be successful.  He is 23 years old, younger than most NFL QB's in this league.  He has been let down by the coaching, and needs to have another opportunity with a new head coach, and with better players around him. The Jets will renew his contract, probably for around $25 million per year, probably for around 4 years or so.  Perhaps they might have to pay more, but whatever they must do, they must do to keep Darnold on this team.

Let's look at the alternatives, shall we?

1. We let Darnold walk, or trade him for a third round pick.  Let's say he goes to the Giants.  

How would you feel if he got his act together, and the Giants went on to win 1 or 2 superbowls with him?

I don't know about the rest of you, but that would kill me!  I believe I would need therapy.  I would rather pay Darnold to remain a Jet, let him fail over the next 4 or 5 years, than to let him go and be successful somewhere else.  Additionally, it would further prove the point that the Jets have no clue of what they are doing, and continue the Jets slide into oblivion.

2.  If we trade him, we now must spend precious draft capital on a new QB, who is bound to struggle in the beginning.  In additoin, this roster has so many holes, that we can not afford to use a high 1st round pick on another QB.  

in the next years draft, we must get a 1. Pass rusher  2. Wide receiver 3. another offensive lineman 4. cornerback 5. running back 6. inside linebacker.

Without a premium pass rusher, we will continue to suck for many years to come.

In summary, the Jets will keep Darnold, and sign him to whatever contract we must to keep him here.  To do otherwise would be foolish and stupid.

This is just such a bad post, it's hard to know where to begin with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

There is more than a shadow. There is a doubt. The jury is still out. After 15 months on the job Joe Douglas still has the worst roster in the NFL and is in charge of an organization that can’t keep players healthy. There is currently zero proof that Joe Douglas is better at his job than any other NFL GM right now. There is only hope. 

The Leonard Williams trade says you're wrong.  They're paying Leo $16M+ as a 1.5 year rental.

Daniel Jones is the nail in the coffin there.  Gettleman banked on his QB and failed.  Douglas, at least, has a shot at succeeding in handpicking his QB.

Douglas has barely started building the roster.  Gettleman is already a proven failure.

The Jets aren't releasing or trading Darnold.  That's stupid.  They do however need to move quickly.

Regardless of the outcome on Thursday they need to instantly relieve Gase of his duties, make GW the interim coach the remainder of the year, and elevate Bobcat Goldthwait to O-Coordinator.

It behooves JD to find out if Darnolds regression can be directly attributed to Gases' awful coaching, or he just plain sucks.  They'll have 12 games to figure that out.

I believe once Gase is gone and the troops start getting healthy, we'll see a MUCH better Darnold.  Cooter has experience with young and somewhat reckless gunslingers and can perhaps try and call an offense more suited to Sams strengths.

You don't give up on a 23 year old who has shown a lot of potential because he's being hamstrung by horrific coaching.  Luckily we have direct evidence of players who've escaped Gases' asylum and wind up thriving elsewhere.

If CJ allows Gase to coach the remainder of the year he will be exposed as the severely flawed leader he's accused of being, who also lied when he said he learned from not firing Macc earlier than he did. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, Alka said:

I started a thread before the season that this season is the season to judge Darnold, regardless of the talent or lack of talent around him.

Darnold has failed thus far, and to say anything else is just not honest.  He has proven that he is not able to elevate the players around him.

So why will the Jets resign him, and why should they?

Sam has shown that he has the talent and the ability to succeed in the NFL.  He may not be able to elevate the players around him, but perhaps with the right players around him, he can be successful.  He is 23 years old, younger than most NFL QB's in this league.  He has been let down by the coaching, and needs to have another opportunity with a new head coach, and with better players around him. The Jets will renew his contract, probably for around $25 million per year, probably for around 4 years or so.  Perhaps they might have to pay more, but whatever they must do, they must do to keep Darnold on this team.

Let's look at the alternatives, shall we?

1. We let Darnold walk, or trade him for a third round pick.  Let's say he goes to the Giants.  

How would you feel if he got his act together, and the Giants went on to win 1 or 2 superbowls with him?

I don't know about the rest of you, but that would kill me!  I believe I would need therapy.  I would rather pay Darnold to remain a Jet, let him fail over the next 4 or 5 years, than to let him go and be successful somewhere else.  Additionally, it would further prove the point that the Jets have no clue of what they are doing, and continue the Jets slide into oblivion.

2.  If we trade him, we now must spend precious draft capital on a new QB, who is bound to struggle in the beginning.  In additoin, this roster has so many holes, that we can not afford to use a high 1st round pick on another QB.  

in the next years draft, we must get a 1. Pass rusher  2. Wide receiver 3. another offensive lineman 4. cornerback 5. running back 6. inside linebacker.

Without a premium pass rusher, we will continue to suck for many years to come.

In summary, the Jets will keep Darnold, and sign him to whatever contract we must to keep him here.  To do otherwise would be foolish and stupid.

Oh oh here comes the pain. 

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I'd rather see Morgan get the rest of this year and next then give Darnold real money at this point.  Darnold needs to be sat down for at least a year or two before he will be mature enough and sound enough to be a very good NFL QB.  Sinking big money on him now is really dumb.  Plunkett lived up to his potential when he was in his early 30's.  Doug Williams reached his potential at 32.  

You simply can't strap the team with a QB on franchise QB money who hasn't shown he has the goods to be a franchise QB.  And that doesn't mean Sam doesn't have potential and won't be really good.  Sam wants the Jets to show me the money, show me the franchise QB.

I recently, just yesterday, had an epiphany that despite Darnold’s potential and talent, he’s just an immature fraud. He lacks character and leadership, qualities that made guys like Bart Starr, Doug Williams, Joe Kapp, Montana etc great QB’s. Right now I wouldn’t buy Madden 21 because he’d be on the Jets. 

5 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I recently, just yesterday, had an epiphany that despite Darnold’s potential and talent, he’s just an immature fraud. He lacks character and leadership, qualities that made guys like Bart Starr, Doug Williams, Joe Kapp, Montana etc great QB’s. Right now I wouldn’t buy Madden 21 because he’d be on the Jets. 

You could always do what I do and download community rosters and “rebuild” the Jets your way.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Pac said:

The Jets aren't releasing or trading Darnold.  That's stupid.  They they do however need to move quickly.

Regardless of the outcome on Thursday they need to instantly relieve Gase of his duties, make GW the interim coach the remainder of the year, and elevate Bobcat Goldthwait to O-Coordinator.

It behooves JD to find out if Darnolds regression can be directly attributed to Gases' awful coaching, or he just plain sucks.  They'll have 12 games to figure that out.

I believe once Gase is gone and the troops start getting healthy, we'll see a MUCH better Darnold.  Cooter has experience with young and somewhat reckless gunslingers and can perhaps try and call an offense more suited to Sams strengths.

You don't give up on a 23 year old who has shown a lot of potential because he's being hamstrung by horrific coaching.  Luckily we have direct evidence of players who've escaped Gases' asylum and wind up thriving elsewhere.

If CJ allows Gase to coach the remainder of the year he will be exposed as the severely flawed leader he's accused of being, who also lied when he said he learned from not firing Macc earlier than he did. 

Good post