Bill O’Brien fired

T0mShane

As a coach, BoB is a solid B.  Gets the job done, but gets visibly and repeatedly outcoached  to the upper echelon guys (Reid, BB, Harbaugh etc)

As a GM, he is so bad it’s comical.  Maybe one of the worst GMs in NFL history.

Hiring him as a coach, is ok, but hard to get that excited about.  Sometimes you want to shoot for the stars as opposed to accepting mediocrity.

2 minutes ago, Hael said:

As a coach, BoB is a solid B.  Gets the job done, but gets visibly and repeatedly outcoached  to the upper echelon guys (Reid, BB, Harbaugh etc)

As a GM, he is so bad it’s comical.  Maybe one of the worst GMs in NFL history.

Hiring him as a coach, is ok, but hard to get that excited about.  Sometimes you want to shoot for the stars as opposed to accepting mediocrity.

Dude is a complete bozo. I would have fired him after that divisional round loss last year. Some of his in game decisions were absolutely mindboggling.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

That Hopkins trade is some all time level incompetence to the point where you could legitimately question whether it was just sabotage.

What if Hopkins “didn’t want to be there?”  That seems to justify most Jets boneheaded FO moves.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Imagine if Houston gets the #1 

Dolphins have tua.  They can trade back and load up.

Since Houston has no incentive to tank, I can't imagine a scenario where they don't turn their season around a bit.  They loaded up on talent for a big 2020 season (making the Hopkins trade even stranger). 

An interim coach could give them a boost, for all we know.  Meanwhile, 2 of their next 4 games are against the Jaguars, and in the 2nd half of the season they have games against the Browns, Lions, Bears and Bengals.  

I think Houston ends up winning 4-6 games.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

I actually don’t think Bill is a terrible HC. Awful GM however. 

He’s mediocre at best, and the largest problem is he wants to be a GM/HC combo ala BB.  If Daboll were the HC hire, I’d take him as an OC though.

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since Houston has no incentive to tank, I can't imagine a scenario where they don't turn their season around a bit.  They loaded up on talent for a big 2020 season (making the Hopkins trade even stranger). 

An interim coach could give them a boost, for all we know.  Meanwhile, 2 of their next 4 games are against the Jaguars, and in the 2nd half of the season they have games against the Browns, Lions, Bears and Bengals.  

I think Houston ends up winning 4-6 games.

Say Houston wins 4 games.

Miami still gets what could be a top 5 pick, add the best wr in the draft to go with their new qb.  

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I think Chris Johnson is going to wait to see which other coaches are fired before deciding which one will be the next coach of the Jets.  O'Brien?  Patricia?  Marrone?  Pederson?  McCarthy?

Maybe Johnson will hire all of them and have them all report to him!

F....ing Dweeb probably can’t figure out what he wants for lunch and many of you are under the impression that he personally has analyses and strategies drawn up on the many decisions involved in running a professional football team.

15 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Say Houston wins 4 games.

Miami still gets what could be a top 5 pick, add the best wr in the draft to go with their new qb.  

Don't care.  Just don't want them getting # 1 from a team that was supposed to be a playoff squad, then trading that pick for 4 first rounders.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Don't care.  Just don't want them getting # 1 from a team that was supposed to be a playoff squad, then trading that pick for 4 first rounders.

We are a Russell Wilson injury away from a similar situation. Crazy how much that team relies on him, and how having a franchise QB changes everything

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

My understanding is that Hopkins and O'Brien despised each other.

That's where you need a GM/President/Owner to step in and explain to O'Brien "Make it work with him, or you're gone."

Since O'Brien was the HC and GM he was given far too much clout, and they essentially were saying O'Brien was the more important asset than Hopkins.  Now they're both gone.  Great job, Texans.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Icer said:

We are a Russell Wilson injury away from a similar situation. Crazy how much that team relies on him, and how having a franchise QB changes everything

Oh geez.  This means our hopes for Miami not getting the # 1 pick fall on an interim coach and Watson staying healthy.  

C'mon Texans!  

Until the Hopkins trade and this season, no one in their right mind would have said that Gase had a better coaching record than O'Brien.  

The Texans' owner is up there with the Johnsons.  O'Brien was going for it, like he was told, but got bullied by Hopkins into a trade out of town.  O'Brien was made the scapegoat. 

O'Brien is no bargain, but at this point this season I would take O'Brien as an interim or trade him straight up for Gase and see what he can do.  

Houston now has a head start on finding an HC.  That was likely the idea.  They are going to talk to Riley, Harbaugh, Brady, etc.  

Gase should go, but the Johnsons will have to consider eating another 2 years of contract to fight at least three other teams (Falcons, Texans, Lions(?) over HC candidates.   That is why Gase could end up staying next year.  Makes me sick.

• Upvote 1