Mora on Trevor Lawrence

12 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Peyton was and still is the greatest prospect to ever come out. The only people that didn’t believe he’d be a FQB were either Leaf guys or anti Tenn (he can’t win the big one blah blah blah). From a physical, mechanical and cerebral standpoint, no one has ever been more of a “perfect” prospect.

Your need to add Parsels(sp) to that list otherwise Manning would have been a Jet

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I’m not as big as most on Lawrence, but he did throw a deadly accurate TD pass yesterday in a tight window where only his receiver could catch it.
All of these guys have skills, success in the NFL required the ability to make good decisions while under pressure from rushers and the ability to make a pre snap read of the D to know who the best target will be on a particular pass play. I do think both of these things can be learned but a QB is way ahead if he has them from Day 1. 

There is a difference between throwing the ball hard and putting it on your receiver. Lawrence puts it on his receivers all over the field.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, section314 said:

On one of the ESPN college channels yesterday, he said that Lawrence is one of the top 7 QB's in all of football, NFL included.  Said he could come in right now and win games in the NFL. Can't remember a guy saying that about any prospect in a very long time, if ever.

That's fine and all and high praise but it's impossible to tell. We've seen time and time again college QBs who perform exceptionally well (especially in a high powered offense), putting up impressive numbers, looking like they have all the tools to dominate in the NFL, end up being busts, average or just good solid starters and not top 10 in the NFL. It takes a lot to be top 10 and its not just talent. you need good circumstances: talent around you, coaching, system, you need to stay healthy.

So while Mora's praise is fair, and it's obvious Lawrence will be the top pick if a QB needy team ends up selecting, there's no guarantee he ends up a top 10 QB no matter what anyone says, so whats the point of talking about these things. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I know he was and he was the best prospect since Elway, which is why I used him as an example.

But Trevor is being praised even more so.

People weren’t saying that Luck would turn around a team from Day 1, and even a small segment of people were pushing RGIII as the top pick.

The most highly touted QB’s I’ve ever seen in order were

Elway - Lawrence - Luck - Peyton

Namath 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I was not a huge Darnold fan. Felt like he could be a good QB who could make some amazing plays at times. I feel like you nailed it and that Lawrence is the best prospect since Elway. I have literally never seen a college QB since then who could throw so well.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No need to worry about who our next coach will be if we’re picking Lawrence.

I’m pretty sure Vince Lombardi & Bill Walsh will come out of their graves and say the New York Jets job was always their dream job.

And EVERYONE knows that Zombie Lombardi or Zombie Walsh is far superior than their respective human counterparts. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, viffer said:

Not hard when receivers are wide open every play. How much of this is Lawrence and how much of it is the team around him? I watched him the last two weeks because of all the hype, although I normally don't watch college. Every reception was by a wide open receiver; any throws into coverage were either off the mark, intercepted, or blocked.

Look, the kid looks good, but I haven't yet seen him throw one accurate pass to a receiver in tight coverage, or hit a receiver in stride where the receiver didn't have to catch the ball at his knees, wait for it, or change direction.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Peyton was and still is the greatest prospect to ever come out. The only people that didn’t believe he’d be a FQB were either Leaf guys or anti Tenn (he can’t win the big one blah blah blah). From a physical, mechanical and cerebral standpoint, no one has ever been more of a “perfect” prospect.

Above Elway? 

Think I would put Elway above Manning but I agree Peyton was a significantly better prospect then Luck. His only weakness coming out was his play in some big games in College 

3 hours ago, Lith said:

When Ryan Fitzpatrick is the starting QB for the other team, a W can never be counted out.  Dolphins are better in all phases, but Fitz can be a great equalizer.

Fitz can have a 5 INT game on any day.

Giants beat the Skins? Falcons beat the Vikings?

If the Jets lose to the Dolphins today I don't see what game they will win. I can see them trading more parts before 11/3.  Q?

1 hour ago, viffer said:

Look, the kid looks good, but I haven't yet seen him throw one accurate pass to a receiver in tight coverage, or hit a receiver in stride where the receiver didn't have to catch the ball at his knees, wait for it, or change direction.

I take it you didn’t see the game yesterday? Because the pass to Rodgers in the corner of the end zone before the half was absolutely picture perfect.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Above Elway? 

Think I would put Elway above Manning but I agree Peyton was a significantly better prospect then Luck. His only weakness coming out was his play in some big games in College 

Elway was a significantly better prospect physically. Rocket arm and great ability outside the pocket.

When discussing the total prospect though, there were Elway detractors because he wasn’t “the smartest” and there were patterns of bad decisions on film. Peyton had/still has a leg up on everyone except maybe Luck because he had the cerebral aspect down at an early age, and had a legendary work ethic on the mental part of the game even while at Tenn.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, section314 said:

On one of the ESPN college channels yesterday, he said that Lawrence is one of the top 7 QB's in all of football, NFL included.  Said he could come in right now and win games in the NFL. Can't remember a guy saying that about any prospect in a very long time, if ever.

In this age of sensationalistic hyperbole, I would take any such assessments with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

Didn’t someone compare Darnold to Luck?

Anthony Becht on a podcast from last week that the Jets should trade out of number 1 for picks to support Darnold, rather than pick Lawrence.

Under no circumstances would I agree with Becht, for both financial and damaged goods reasons, but something has to change for this team so that we get a better result, with QBs and generally.  

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

Didn’t someone compare Darnold to Luck?

Anthony Becht on a podcast from last week that the Jets should trade out of number 1 for picks to support Darnold, rather than pick Lawrence.

Under no circumstances would I agree with Becht, for both financial and damaged goods reasons, but something has to change for this team so that we get a better result, with QBs and generally.  

Sure and lets watch Lawrence go to the Giants or Falcons become Peyton Manning.  Some of these "experts" should just shut F up.   NO GM WITH A TOP 3 PICK  IS PASSING ON LAWRENCE, IF THEY WANT TO KEEP THEIR JOB.    It would make more sense to trade DARNOLD for pick or picks and build around Lawrence.  Even if it doesn't work and Lawrence busts and Darnold goes on to a HOF career, it would still be the smart move to make.   Lawrence has that kind of pedigree and on field production to back it up. 

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Sounds like either the Jets won't get him or we'll get him and he'll flop.  Because....you know, Jets.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Sounds like either the Jets won't get him or we'll get him and he'll flop.  Because....you know, Jets.

Arthur Blank of the Falcons seems like a smart guy.

Lawrence is from Cartersville, GA, outside of Atlanta.

I would have to think that Blank and Goodell will be trying to find a way to get Lawrence to the Falcons and away from the Jets and the Giants.  

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

B-ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

WRONG!

John Elway.

Go back and look at the '83 draft

• Upvote 1

I am a huge Sam fan. You get the # 1 pick you trade Sam. Case closed.

Would love if Sam played well and they could get a 1st rounder for him (long shot).

Can they get a 1st rounder for Q?  (Doubtful)

Would be cool to have 4 first rounders next year.  Trevor Lawrence and three other guys.

Plus two first rounders in 2022.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think by early Sunday morning, most forget how truly horrible the Jets are. Then by Sunday night, most think we are a lock to get the #1 pick. It’s happened the last two weeks and it looks like it’s happening this week.

The Falcons and Giants are no where near as bad as we are. Relax folks. As long as Gase is the coach, Lawrence is a Jet. And Darnold will go on to prove he’s a good QB with another team. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

I mean, I know the Jets have been injured and they may be better once healthy, but I can’t see this team winning more than 2 games. They are awful on both sides of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two wins for the jets, that is where I see it. The challenge is the O line will likely to trend better if Becton  can return

There’s no guarantee with qbs.  There just isn’t. I would have bet the farm that Andrew Luck was going to be the next Peyton Manning.  Instead, it was the undersized qb in round 3 of that draft that was the best qb of his generation.  Luck was merely good but never became what he was supposed to be.

So while you probably take Lawrence at one, if a team gives you a kings bounty (like 5 first round picks), you take that and run.  I still think Sam can be a very good NFL QB and we might stupidly be giving up on a very talented prospect...

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Luck or Peyton weren’t praised like this either.

Unless I’m forgetting someone, the only other person I remember being talked about like this was Elway.

Actually think it’s disconcerting. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, peebag said:

B-ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

WRONG!

John Elway.

Go back and look at the '83 draft

I’ve studied all of the top prospects in draft history. I’m fascinated with the practice, process and prognostications. Elway was certainly the first “can’t miss”/GOAT prospect, and he was obviously deserving of it as I mention below, but the best all around stand-alone prospect was and still is Peyton. Lawrence doesn’t belong in that category, although he’s excellent and definitely should be the #1 pick. Hopefully the jets have it.

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Elway was a significantly better prospect physically. Rocket arm and great ability outside the pocket.

When discussing the total prospect though, there were Elway detractors because he wasn’t “the smartest” and there were patterns of bad decisions on film. Peyton had/still has a leg up on everyone except maybe Luck because he had the cerebral aspect down at an early age, and had a legendary work ethic on the mental part of the game even while at Tenn.

Above Elway? 

Elway Hit the Beltway! I don’t know why I still have that stupid headline in my head.

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

Yes and no. The thing is the 2000 draft only had one first round qb , chaddy, and the next guy wasn’t taken until round 2 or 3. It was just a down year and teams weren’t looking that hard. As for Brady, he did do well in a big time college program but had the share time so that probably counted against him and was thin and gangly. He needed to sit for a year before getting the right strength.  It happens.

Yeah he needed a year of Balco’s Finest.

9 hours ago, section314 said:

Literally every year someone says that about someone. Chase Young, Fournette.. Quinnen. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i think that's more true than not.  i look at those early 2000's raiders teams.  romanowski made alzado look like childs play when it came to taking steroids etc.

Yes when they nailed Bonds Brady’s name number and calls to Balco dude was apparently more egregious then Barry, and a lot of other dudes who got off Scott free because Barry and specifically baseball was the real target didn’t care about much else.