Interesting article on Harbaugh

GreekJet

It’s not like Michigan has been a joke. They’ve had a few 10 win seasons under Harbaugh.

The problem is that Michigan and its fan base still thinks they’re right up there with OSU, along with the rest of the Big 10 was second rate until Urban came along. Coach Day happens to be a great successor off of that foundation that Meyer created but no one wants to go to the Big 10 anymore.

Say what you will about Harbaugh. There have been 0 scandals and his kids graduate, which is part of the job for coaches in college. He’s a program builder for the NFL way and the college way. I just think he’s better suited for the pros.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don’t know if Harbaugh would be a good coach for the jets or not.  I will point out that the table was set when he joined the niners.  They had some really good players after suffering through a number of bad seasons and high draft picks.  I don’t think the jets table is nearly as well set unless darnold can somehow be the QB or Lawrence is drafted.  Also, can Harbaugh have success without using the pistol type offense? I’m thinking yes since he also had some success with smith before moving on to Kaepernick.

We’ll see. If gase is replaced I’d want the next coach to be young enough and someone who has nfl experience.  The jets need someone who can take charge and already has a ton of credibility.

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He handled himself with nothing but class and dignify during his final 49ers press conference ever. 

Jet fans hate this man for absolutely nothing. I'd love him here omg after non emotional Todd Bowles and a dead man walking Adam Gase who has zero personality/character; Jim Harbaugh would become such a breath of fresh air for Trevor Lawrence and our entire fan base. 

Sounds a lot different these

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JetPotato said:

The best coaches in the NFL right now were the best coaches in the NFL seven years ago.

Bill Belichick, John Harbaugh, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton. Not exactly cutting edge spring chickens.. If it works, it works. It's time for a proven HC. The cycle of unproven coordinators and proven failures like Gase needs to end. I want Lawrence paired with someone who has actually done something in this league. 

Great post.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

It’s not like Michigan has been a joke. They’ve had a few 10 win seasons under Harbaugh.

The problem is that Michigan and its fan base still thinks they’re right up there with OSU, along with the rest of the Big 10 was second rate until Urban came along. Coach Day happens to be a great successor off of that foundation that Meyer created but no one wants to go to the Big 10 anymore.

Say what you will about Harbaugh. There have been 0 scandals and his kids graduate, which is part of the job for coaches in college. He’s a program builder for the NFL way and the college way. I just think he’s better suited for the pros.

The job for the HC at Michigan is beat OSU. None of that other crap matters. That will never change. Even Brady Hoke beat Michigan.

• Upvote 1

Harbough worries me... When he left SF for Michigan, I said to myself, watch out that program is going to become elite. He should be able to recruit there like nobodies business... He has so disappointed there it's not funny. Why wouldn't top recruits want to flock there when he was hired, I'll never know, and while he has won, he hasn't been what I expected. I think he would be a trainwreck for our team, while knowing he would be heads and shoulders better than Gase. For me, I want someone that wants to commit to this team, that is a team builder and can work with our GM. I'm not dead set again Harbough, I just don't want him here because I think it won't last and he'll turn into a sour patch kid or something after he hasn't gotten his way. I could be wrong and if he's hired here I hope I am, but there's no way of actually knowing that. If he can display his brothers disposition it would be another completely different story. I'd be standing in line welcoming him with open arms.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, section314 said:

The job for the HC at Michigan is beat OSU. None of that other crap matters. That will never change. Even Brady Hoke beat Michigan.

I know. I wasn’t saying Harbaugh deserves to stay at Michigan. It just isn’t working there. My point was he’s been good there and Michigan thinking it can compete with TODAY’S OSU are sorely mistaken. It’s not an even playing field and hasn’t been since pre-Meyer.

But Michigan fans and boosters expect National Championships and to beat OSU consistently... it’s not happening anytime soon. 

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Any Jets HC should start with Harbaugh.  Go all in on trying to get him here - put all resources into it.

If you can’t get him then go down the line - but he should be far and away their top target

Completely agree...and he has the personality to really change the culture here, something that’s been severely lacking.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I cannot think of a more probable success than pairing Joe Douglas with Jim Harbaugh. If that's not a successful duo then I don't think there is one? Jim Harbaugh could not possibly be any higher in the NFL coaching ranks. There's only ONE person I'd rather hire if not Jim Harbaugh - MIKE WESTHOFF. Yes, I'm saying it. That's my priority list for hiring a HC.

Ha! I've been saying for YEARS that I think Westhoff would make a great HC. I wish they had given him the opportunity years ago.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I know. I wasn’t saying Harbaugh deserves to stay at Michigan. It just isn’t working there. My point was he’s been good there and Michigan thinking it can compete with TODAY’S OSU are sorely mistaken. It’s not an even playing field and hasn’t been since pre-Meyer.

But Michigan fans and boosters expect National Championships and to beat OSU consistently... it’s not happening anytime soon. 

You make good points here, and I don't want to seem like I am dismissing the importance of how much academics play at Michigan., as they should, it's just that the Michigan/OSU thing is so different than any other rivalry.

16 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Completely agree...and he has the personality to really change the culture here, something that’s been severely lacking.

He’s proven he can win the NFL and more importantly proven he can make a team better year-over-year.

His team’s got better.  Our coaches come in and teams progressively get worse.

I would much rather hire someone that has shown he can be successful (with sub-par QB talent) in the NFL than a question mark.  

Anyone else we could hire will be a question mark.

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

THIS is hard to argue with.  This board is full of Pom Pom waivers but the above post is spot on.  WE SUCK.   How much worse could we be under Harbaugh.  He has a pedigree like no other.  Great college player, NFL Player, paid his dues in coaching.   But some want another rookie HC?  
Inthink Harbaugh is too good for the Johnsons. They won’t hire him because he won’t listen to their SHlT!!!!!

The biggest risk is that he tells us to shove off. I think some of the negative reactions to hiring him are coming from our well-founded cynicism that a guy with his pedigree would ever come here with Woody at the helm. If we convince ourselves we don't want him, it will hurt less when he says he doesn't want us.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

13 hours ago, GreekJet said:

ust goes to show how much different college is than the Pros. Jim Harbaugh was able to recruit better at Stanford than at Michigan-go figure. 

Michigan is top 5 at recruiting 4 and 5 star recruits.  

Its not an inability to recruit

• Upvote 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:46 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know how some of you guys can be so sure of things based on such limited knowledge.  No, Harbaugh did not call his own plays.  Who called the plays?  Greg Roman.  They didn't have such a great offense though.  That team was riding Vic Fangio's defense. 

This is my concern with Harbough - he will need very good coordinators and im not sure what he has now will translate.

Don Brown is pretty old and plays a very aggressive 3-4 defense that will require excellent corners since he brings a lot of pressure.

His OC has 2 years experience with Harbough at Michigan and comes from Alabama but together they have struggled to develop QBs and I dont know much about the type of offense they run.

One name Id love to see, and i have no idea if Harbough has any connection to him is Matt Canada, who is the QB coach for the steelers.  Has college HC and OC experience and uses a lot of motion etc which will be key for a young QB here.

Hargbaugh was fired by the 49ers because he didn't play nice with the front office. That's a consideration, considering front office disruptions are the last thing the Jets need. Plus there are a lot of other good candidates out there without that kind of baggage. But I'd I'd certainly take Harbaugh over Eric Bieniemy.

• Upvote 2

On 11/19/2020 at 7:26 AM, rangerous said:

I don’t know if Harbaugh would be a good coach for the jets or not.  I will point out that the table was set when he joined the niners.  They had some really good players after suffering through a number of bad seasons and high draft picks.  I don’t think the jets table is nearly as well set unless darnold can somehow be the QB or Lawrence is drafted.  Also, can Harbaugh have success without using the pistol type offense? I’m thinking yes since he also had some success with smith before moving on to Kaepernick.

We’ll see. If gase is replaced I’d want the next coach to be young enough and someone who has nfl experience.  The jets need someone who can take charge and already has a ton of credibility.

Those niner teams got better year over year.  Table set or not, he was able to develop the talent and turn them into a winner.  That’s already better than anything we’ve had in 20 years.  

Add to that he did it with two QB’s one of which was considered a bust before he joined him and another that busted as soon as he left.  

Lastly, if we make the right choices he’ll be set up here.   4 1st round picks in two years, massive cap space. A franchise LT and the best QB prospect in over a decade.   

There is simply no safer bet we’ll find.  

On 11/19/2020 at 8:20 AM, Adoni Beast said:

My question would be, why can’t Michigan compete with OSU now?   They have the same resources, comparable facilities, tradition, booster support etc etc.  So why is it that they can’t compete?   The reason is that they are not attracting the type of athletes required to keep up with the other elite programs.   If you look at Harbaugh’s recruiting classes you’ll see a couple “top 10” classes and think he’s doing a good job at bringing in athletes.  When you look at those classes however you’ll see they are bolstered mainly by o-line and defensive prospects.   He isn’t attracting the dynamic athletes at WR, RB, CB and Edge, and hasn’t solved his QB issue since he’s been there.    You’re not beating OSU with a defensive minded approach and trying to keep the game in the 20’s.   Those days are gone in college football.  You see it with Alabama now and how Saban has transitioned, Michigan needs to do the same.  

On 11/19/2020 at 5:46 AM, Adoni Beast said:

The problem is that Michigan and its fan base still thinks they’re right up there with OSU, 

Do they? Michigan alums are definitely delusional, but not because of football. They think it's an Ivy when it's not...their current President basically tried to kneecap the entire season as it is. Michigan has never been a top tier football program.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

My question would be, why can’t Michigan compete with OSU now?   They have the same resources, comparable facilities, tradition, booster support etc etc.  So why is it that they can’t compete?   The reason is that they are not attracting the type of athletes required to keep up with the other elite programs.   If you look at Harbaugh’s recruiting classes you’ll see a couple “top 10” classes and think he’s doing a good job at bringing in athletes.  When you look at those classes however you’ll see they are bolstered mainly by o-line and defensive prospects.   He isn’t attracting the dynamic athletes at WR, RB, CB and Edge, and hasn’t solved his QB issue since he’s been there.    You’re not beating OSU with a defensive minded approach and trying to keep the game in the 20’s.   Those days are gone in college football.  You see it with Alabama now and how Saban has transitioned, Michigan needs to do the same.  

That is a fair point. Also, they have had a lot of guys drafted to the NFL since Harbaugh got there. 

On 11/19/2020 at 6:26 AM, rangerous said:

He had a lot of talent in SF, he also really helped Alex Smith's career and Colin K.

He also cost himself a chance to go to a SB by sending a punt returner out there who had a concussion and couldn't make a fair catch, and his team should have beat the Ravens except for some poor play calls at the end of the SB.

He'd be the best coaching hire for the team since the 90s, I don't see how anyone could argue that.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Definitely agree, but I don’t believe it’s because Harbaugh is choosing to recruit that way. I just think he is losing out in the premium-dynamic position players. Meyer has created a juggernaut recruiting program at OSU.

Despite his success at Stanford, I don’t believe Harbaugh is suited in college to compete on the recruiting level with the top programs. He, himself as a person is borderline psychotic. He rubs people and I imagine a lot of parents the wrong way during the recruiting pitch in their living rooms. I think parents are more inclined to send their kids to a more a program run by a more conservative individual.

But Harbaugh is all football, all about winning. His exit from the NFL was because of a rift with ownership, not because he couldn’t coach. I just don’t think recruiting kids is Harbaugh’s strength.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Do they? Michigan alums are definitely delusional, but not because of football. They think it's an Ivy when it's not...their current President basically tried to kneecap the entire season as it is. Michigan has never been a top tier football program.

I know they’re not. But based on their reactions when they have a few 10 win seasons and say “that’s not enough” then yes...their boosters and fans obviously believe they’re more prestigious than what they are.

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Michigan alum here. They’ve never been a top tier program since I went there in early 2000s. I definitely don’t feel this way. Also never saw them as an ivy either. Granted I went there for law school not undergrad so maybe that skews things.

Funny story, a few years after graduating I was head of recruiting for my company for Michigan—flew up there every year to interview candidates. Always hung around and caught a game. Well anyway, first year going they gave me the recruiting pack—including prior candidate evals—including my own. The review basically said “he was okay I guess but our instructions are to offer a flight to philly for an in-person interview to anyone interested from Michigan.” Lol.

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:39 PM, JetPotato said:

If the Jets had competent ownership, I would be absolutely sure Harbaugh would be the next coach of the Jets.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see who we actually get instead.

It’s actually not that far fetched......they kicked the tires when they fired Bowles