Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GreekJet

What if the Jets can’t trade Darnold?

Recommended Posts

Many teams are going to be cap strapped this offseason.

Are they really going to be lining up to trade a draft pick and take on 10MM salary for a backup QB? 

There will be a few teams like the Colts who can afford it, but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk.

The Jets may very well decide to just keep Darnold as a backup rather than take the cap hit in trading him. I’d feel terrible for him if that’s the case. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreekJet said:

Many teams are going to be cap strapped this offseason.

Are they really going to be lining up to trade a draft pick and take on 10MM salary for a backup QB? 

There will be a few teams like the Colts who can afford it, but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk.

The Jets may very well decide to just keep Darnold as a backup rather than take the cap hit in trading him. I’d feel terrible for him if that’s the case. 

First off, Darnold is still a very good prospect. He is still young, and whether any here wants to admit it, many people know what a disgrace it was the way the Jets handled him. He certainly is not looked at as unsalvageable  so there will be teams that will be looking to trade for him, even a high pick like a second rounder as he is a better prospect than you can get in the second. 

As far as what he gets offered, I think he gets backup money with a chance to elevate to starter money . Anyone trading for him is going to trade for him to start. 

Looking back on this, the whole Darnold thing makes very upset . I have no faith Lawrence or Fields will be any better

  • Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Many teams are going to be cap strapped this offseason.

Are they really going to be lining up to trade a draft pick and take on 10MM salary for a backup QB? 

There will be a few teams like the Colts who can afford it, but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk.

The Jets may very well decide to just keep Darnold as a backup rather than take the cap hit in trading him. I’d feel terrible for him if that’s the case. 

Why would anyone believe that Darnold is getting or looking for a 10 mm salary?

Hes going to get a short term, cheap deal to prove hes still that prospect teams think he is

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why would anyone believe that Darnold is getting or looking for a 10 mm salary?

Hes going to get a short term, cheap deal to prove hes still that prospect teams think he is

 

He’s on the books for 10MM next year. You think he’s going to take a pay cut?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KRL said:

They'll be able to trade him, we just may not get what we want for him.

I'm sure Douglas is looking for a #1 or #2 but at best I see a #3 at this point

Based on his play this season I would agree.

However, “The Adam Gase Effect” is no myth. Look at all of the offensive players that have flourished on different teams since breaking free of this weirdo. 
 

Best case in point, Ryan Tannehill...who looks like a top 10 QB the last 2 seasons.

Considering Darnold’s age + skillset I think a 2 and a late rounder will get a deal done.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Many teams are going to be cap strapped this offseason.

Are they really going to be lining up to trade a draft pick and take on 10MM salary for a backup QB? 

There will be a few teams like the Colts who can afford it, but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk.

The Jets may very well decide to just keep Darnold as a backup rather than take the cap hit in trading him. I’d feel terrible for him if that’s the case. 

Any team trading for Sam will be paying 1 year $1m, not $10m.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

He’s on the books for 10MM next year. You think he’s going to take a pay cut?

If Sam is traded the contract will be worked as part of the deal.  The Jets will have to pay at least part of the signing and roster bonuses.  His salary is under 1 MM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a very very likely scenario .. Darnold's value is in the red. He will be the backup. He may even begin the season as the starter until our Feanchise QB is ready.


Many teams are going to be cap strapped this offseason.
Are they really going to be lining up to trade a draft pick and take on 10MM salary for a backup QB? 
There will be a few teams like the Colts who can afford it, but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk.
The Jets may very well decide to just keep Darnold as a backup rather than take the cap hit in trading him. I’d feel terrible for him if that’s the case. 


Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why would anyone believe that Darnold is getting or looking for a 10 mm salary?

Hes going to get a short term, cheap deal to prove hes still that prospect teams think he is

 

but then no one is giving up high picks for a guy they only trust to give short term money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

but then no one is giving up high picks for a guy they only trust to give short term money.

No, they'll give picks for the potential he showed in college and the low $$ investment who's only 23 or 24 years old.  Someone looking for a QB, if they liked Sam just 3 years ago might but the circumstances have to be right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point anyone believing in Darnold doesn’t know football and I’ll just thumb down and keep it moving...

Trash franchises fantasize about what trash players could be based on “end of the year” runs all the time, the same end of the year that’s filled with injuries and teams resting for the playoffs. And that’s all I hear with these “I feel bad for a young millionaire because HE CANT PLAY” people, hanging on Darnolds end of the f***** season games. 
 

what a joke of a franchise, I HATE NE AND BILL BELILCHEAT but he has made a career finessing idiot franchises, who think in this same exact way and fall for these fools gold players. 
 

sam is a bust accept it and move on, Christ 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i could be wrong but at this point his floor value is a 3rd round comp pick if he gets signed as a free agent after next season.  of course that also means he's the starter.  i think he has some trade value just not at a first round level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Any team trading for Sam will be paying 1 year $1m, not $10m.

Wouldn't it actually be us picking up his 5th year option and then trading him? 

I think that's how it normally works out in these scenarios right? Doesnt that become an incentive for the team trading for him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

At this point anyone believing in Darnold doesn’t know football and I’ll just thumb down and keep it moving...

Trash franchises fantasize about what trash players could be based on “end of the year” runs all the time, the same end of the year that’s filled with injuries and teams resting for the playoffs. And that’s all I hear with these “I feel bad for a young millionaire because HE CANT PLAY” people, hanging on Darnolds end of the f***** season games. 
 

what a joke of a franchise, I HATE NE AND BILL BELILCHEAT but he has made a career finessing idiot franchises, who think in this same exact way and fall for these fools gold players. 
 

sam is a bust accept it and move on, Christ 

Sam is a bust on the Jets but Miami saw Tanny as a bust and I believe they outright released him. You think Miami fans are happy about that?

The fact is Sams time on the Jets is over. There has been too much damage done. We had him playing with horrible skill players and no OL his entire time here and has had to play with a HC that thinks the best play on 2nd and 10 is to run a nearly 40 year old RB into the A gap and lies about who is calling the plays. If you think Lawrence or.Fields will.be better under these conditions, I have some ocean front property I think you.would be interested  in in Nebraska . 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep Darnold. We gave up the farm for him, no point sending him off in the post Adam Garbage era. If the new HC/OC can salvage his career, what’s the harm in having the Brees/Rivers situation? If Sam turns it up a few notches, tag and trade since we wouldn’t be picking up his 5th year option. 

He still brings a lot of potential that a good coach can get out of him that can salvage his career. Geno is still in the league so there is plenty of hope. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets will never receive a first or second round pick for Sam Darnold!!!! The most they will get is a late round pick for him nothing else because he is considered damage goods. The Jets have two options if there is nobody interested in making a trade. 

1) Keep him as a backup because his contract expires at the end of the season.

2) Cut him!!! (Which most teams will wait until that happens to sign Darnold)

Those are the only options currently for the Jets.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Sam is a bust on the Jets but Miami saw Tanny as a bust and I believe they outright released him. You think Miami fans are happy about that?

The fact is Sams time on the Jets is over. There has been too much damage done. We had him playing with horrible skill players and no OL his entire time here and has had to play with a HC that thinks the best play on 2nd and 10 is to run a nearly 40 year old RB into the A gap and lies about who is calling the plays. If you think Lawrence or.Fields will.be better under these conditions, I have some ocean front property I think you.would be interested  in in Nebraska . 

Before you regurgitate talking points from “draft experts” who had Darnold as “the best QB in the draft” check the facts

 

1. Ryan looked lightyears better than Darnold in MIA than Sam has ever looked here. 
 

2. Him and the hated Gase actually did make the playoffs

 

so while I know it’s the popular thing right now to pity a young millionaire qb scrub and to bash Gase but let’s keep this factual and quite frankly it’s disrespectful to compare Sam to MIA Ryan sorry 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PCP63 said:

Enough with the scapegoating. The Jets suck, and Darnold sucks. They're not mutually-exclusive. A bad OL doesn't make Sam make boneheaded decisions even when he has a clean pocket, nor does a terrible HC.

No, that is bad coaching. That is not.preparing your QB. That is playing behind an OL where you are running for your life for so long, you don't trust the protection will hold up and you run before you have to. We saw this with Ken O'Brien and Texan fans saw this with Carr. 

Sam has bad habits. Nobody denies that. Running right and throwing left, not having his feet set before a throw, locking on a WR, but the Jets have done nothing to help him. Zero. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Keep Darnold. We gave up the farm for him, no point sending him off in the post Adam Garbage era. If the new HC/OC can salvage his career, what’s the harm in having the Brees/Rivers situation? If Sam turns it up a few notches, tag and trade since we wouldn’t be picking up his 5th year option. 

He still brings a lot of potential that a good coach can get out of him that can salvage his career. Geno is still in the league so there is plenty of hope. 

I disagree. Sam may become a good QB but not on the Jets .

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Before you regulate talking points from “draft experts” who had Darnold as “the best QB in the draft” check the facts

 

1. Ryan looked lightyears better than Darnold in MIA than Sam has ever looked here. 
 

2. Him and the hated Gase actually did make the playoffs

 

so while I know it’s the popular thing right now to pity a young millionaire qb scrub and to bash Gase but let’s keep this factual and quite frankly it’s disrespectful to compare Sam to MIA Ryan sorry 

Sam played better as a rookie under Bowles and played better last season than he is now. This season, for whatever reaon, he has regressed to bust status under Gase. If you think the team takes no responsibility for that and it is just Darnold being bad, and had we drafted Allen or Jackson who are on their way to being successful that things would be different, you are about the most unrealistic  of us all. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KRL said:

They'll be able to trade him, we just may not get what we want for him.

I'm sure Douglas is looking for a #1 or #2 but at best I see a #3 at this point

depends who gets in on him.  Colts, Steelers, 9ers are all probably going to have interest.. Throw Detroit into the mix if Stafford is moved and they're out of running for one of the top guys.  Dallas could jump into the mix as well, maybe even minnesota.  There are actually a lot of QB needy teams, or teams that have an aging vet that wont be in the running for a QB they feel good about.  For the right price you can get a top 3 pick QB that many feel is just ruined by a bad supporting cast and poor coaching.  

Those first three teams make the most sense as Sam can go and sit behind a veteran, have an excellent HC and really good Supporting cast around him.  

Detroit ive heard mentioned but dont buy into.  Dallas i buy as a dark horse, same with minnesota. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope sam goes to another team and does what tannyhill has done

sam was done dirty by joe and gase

he is still very young and most thought he was a franchise qb when drafted

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Douglas has received significantly more in trade than expected for just about every player he dealt. If Darnold is traded I think we still get a late 1st. A team like PIT for example


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO Douglas will hold out for whatever he values Darnold at.  That's been his history.  Look at the "Prez".   If he doesn't get it,  Darnold will stay with the Jets.

Might not be a bad idea.  The Jets have the resourses to re-build a lot of the team.  if Douglas is who we hope he is this will be a much better team, but they will not have played together.  

Assuming they get Lawrence it probably won't be a bad idea to let Lawrence sit for awhile until he gets used to the speed, and style of the NFL, while the new players get in sinc as a team..

Darnold will look better behind a better team, and raise his trade value.  Lawrence won't be thrown to the lions with a team that are not familiar with one another.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Jets have no leverage 

everyone in the league knows they have to cut him at some point 

what's the value for a broken QB who can't function at any basic level? 

3rd rounder would be lucky maybe a conditional 2nd>?  Maybe not

they should have traded him before the season 

the one guy they actually should have traded

to use a high first, 3 2nds and have to trade this guy for peanuts is sickening 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, it's just amazing how all of a sudden 90% of the posters here agree Sam is a bust.  I'm someone who only accepted this recently (last game or so).  Frankly it's a relief to have this "is he isn't he" question behind me.  

Next year is going to be sooo awesome with Sam and Gase both gone and fans able to get back on the Jets bandwagon.

"Can't wait" (ty Bard Scott); (ty Rex Ryan for those 2 great years) 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me play devil's advocate here.

Let's say that I am a NFL GM (yuk yuk yuk). I know that you're going to draft Lawrence or Fields. Why on earth would I give anything more than than a 4th round pick for someone I know that you are eventually going to have to release? They are not going to keep both Sam and the drafted QB.

The thought that you are still going to get a 1st or 2nd round pick for Sam is ludicrous. If Douglas pulls that off, I want to see his wand and his cape.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JD has proven to be a savvy trader, I expect they will dangle Darnold out there between teams who are unsure of their QB's (Denver, Chicago) and maybe to some of those situations where the future is coming sooner rather than later (Steelers, Colts, Saints) and that there will be a coach who thinks they can "fix Darnold" based on his Rose Bowl tape. A 3rd rounder is probably a safe bet, but I wouldn't be shocked if JD pulls a rabbit out of his hat with a 2 and a 5 or something along those lines. Maybe a 2 and a player even on a cap strapped team (Steelers/Saints).

Tannehill at his worst in Miami was far better than Darnold, so those with sour feelings about the Jets management pining their hopes on a turnaround somewhere else are in for a surprise

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...