This silence should terrify Jets

NYJ1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/12/14/this-silence-should-terrify-jets/amp/

Perhaps the most stunning part of Sunday’s 40-3 Jets loss to the Seahawks was just how little it stunned anyone.

Losses like this have become expected and accepted for the Jets now. That is the state of this 0-13 team. The Jets can get their doors blown off and look completely uncompetitive and we shrug. It was not that long ago that a loss like Sunday’s would elicit rage among the fan base. They would be calling for the coach to be fired before he could get to the airport. They would be screaming for the backup quarterback.

Now? Ho-hum.

In fact, there is now happiness among the fan base after these losses. The loss moves the Jets one step closer to Trevor Lawrence. And those who are not celebrating the loss are at least numb to it.
The only sound that should scare team CEO Christopher Johnson more than outrage from fans is silence. The Jets have become Rutgers, at least when Greg Schiano is not around. The expectation is for them to lose each week and when they play a quality opponent, the expectation is a butt-kicking. When the Jets are competitive, that is the surprise these days.

All of it has led us to sort of gloss over just how really, really, really bad this team is. We’re talking historically, epically bad. You know the Jets are on their way to becoming the third team ever to go 0-16. The sting of that humiliation should run deep for anyone inside the organization. The fans can take solace in the prospects of having Lawrence on the team.

But dig on just how bad these Jets are, and a case can be made that they are one of the worst teams ever to wear shoulder pads. Their point differential stands at -210 after Sunday’s debacle. Only 38 teams since 1940 have a worse point differential. The Jets have three games to go, so they can pass many of those teams. Their average loss has been by 16.2 points this year. If they stick to that average over the final three, their final point differential would be -258, tied for the fifth worst in the history of the NFL. They will likely move past the 1976 Jets (-214) this week for the worst in franchise history.

The thing about these Jets is they do everything poorly. One person can blame the offense. Another can blame the defense. Everyone would be right.

The Jets have scored just 183 points this season. It is going to be a contest to see if they can fall short of the 220 points the 1992 Jets scored. That is the franchise-low for a team in the 16-game schedule era.

On defense, the Jets have allowed 393 points. The 1996 squad, the former worst Jets team ever, gave up 454 that season. The Jets are allowing 30.2 points per game, so they are on pace to blow that mark away.

The Jets have been a bad team for the last decade. They are 57-100 since the 2011 season. Their postseason drought is at 10 years and counting. But they have not been this bad before. They have never been so bad that no one blinks when they lose like they did in Seattle. Think back to even last year when they lost 33-0 to the Patriots on a Monday night. There was a huge reaction. There have been losses in recent years that have enraged fans. Todd Bowles was finished after his 2018 team lost 41-10 to the Bills.

The first rumblings to fire Bowles began in 2016 after another 41-10 loss to Andrew Luck and the Colts.

None of those teams were good, but an NFL team should not get blown out and those losses drew the appropriate reaction. The 2020 Jets have lost by 20 points or more five times.

Most fans started dreaming of 2021 months ago. Maybe that is why the reaction to these losses is muted. Adam Gase has been a dead man walking for weeks. Sam Darnold has seemed destined for a new team since before Halloween.

Still, it should be troubling for those running the Jets that this is what this team has become. When they lose by 37 points, it elicits shrugs instead of screams.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Good article....

The fan base seems content because of Lawrence. 

no one wants to be 0-13 and no one should escape blame for it. 

Pretty much. Who knows what’s going to happen but how anyone could be shocked if the entire staff or front office were to get canned is beyond me. This is epically bad. If Lawrence decides to go back to Clemson then what? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

You can criticize me for saying this, I really don't care. We can agree to disagree...

I think Sammy is saying this because he BELIEVES  a true solution is coming? Whether he's in the picture or not he believes the Jets will institute changes that will finally right the ship. 

Now, I do think he's saying this because he'd really like to be part of the solution, the Jets future.

No matter what you believe,  you can't possibly dislike this kid. The difference between him, and say Geno Smith,  is light years. 

The difference between him and Geno Smith is light skin. And the ability to be a backup quarterback in the NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty much. Who knows what’s going to happen but how anyone could be shocked if the entire staff or front office were to get canned is beyond me. This is epically bad. If Lawrence decides to go back to Clemson then what? 

Ohhhhh don’t trigger the fan base here

This is a very real Possibility everyone has quietly been denying 

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Tough to get assaulted when you're home sick with STDs.

Nice try, but why would anyone get assaulted for not being a tool regardless of where they are? Unless of course you're talking about the NYC Subway, where even making incidental eye contact can get anyone punched in the face.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, QB1 said:

This team isn't historically bad IMO

we've had an insanely hard schedule, a .600 avg opponent record, that means the average team we played will win 10 games.

there were 3 games that were essentially in the bag as wins and became miracle losses (broncos, pats, raiders)

As bad as Darnold has been he is MUCH better than the trash the 0-16 Lions and Browns put out. 

Our secondary is so bad right now Chris Hackenberg could throw for 4 tds 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

You can criticize me for saying this, I really don't care. We can agree to disagree...

I think Sammy is saying this because he BELIEVES  a true solution is coming? Whether he's in the picture or not he believes the Jets will institute changes that will finally right the ship. 

Now, I do think he's saying this because he'd really like to be part of the solution, the Jets future.

No matter what you believe,  you can't possibly dislike this kid. The difference between him, and say Geno Smith,  is light years. 

Just like the difference between Sam and Mahomes, Allen or Watson. Sam may be a good kid and was just put in an awful spot . Personally just once I'd like to see him have some fire in the huddle, chew out a player who missed an assignment , throw his helmet on the sideline, something that shows he has a pulse. . I know its not his personality , but there aren't many mild mannered QB's that succeed in this league. 

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

He sucks. Better than Geno but that’s like saying I’d consider eating Dominos because it’s better than Pizza Hut. 

• Thumb Down 2

39 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The ownership is mostly to blame and they should be taking it 1st in every analysis and article.  Before gase, before darnold before anyone.

They chose Adam Gase despite a mountain of evidence it was a terrible hire.

they chose mccaganan and worse yet stuck with him on his words of 'we have a plan' despite mountains of evidence he had no plan.

After firing bowles they let mccaganan have one last utterly disastrous off season and draft that has left this team talentless in all positions.

What mountain, was it the same mountain the Pats looked at when Belicheck left Cleveland.

• WTF? 1

Many of us saw this coming in the off-season.  This was always going to be a 3 win team (5 win max if things fell the right way) They had some early injuries and it got out of control....

You can't put a roster of back-ups on the field and expect to be competitive.  

I really hope JD learned something.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Oh, okay in that case it was a good hire by the jets.

Didn't say it was a good hire now did I . But typical Jets fans, bash everything they do. Then if the move works out they have the cop out of oh well I'm just happy it worked out this time. Its easy to bash something when there are no consequences to being wrong.

• Upvote 1