Draft Sewell, double down in the 2nd on OG/OC, build a monster o-line and a killer run game

freestater

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

You roll with Sam this year...use that pick to continue to shore up the offense and go get your QB next year - you have two first next year too - 

but whatever.

The issue is two fold. 1) Horrible PR 2) salary cap

1) Will Jets fans come out to watch the worst starting QB over the last 3 years? This is the same reason you can’t keep Gase. Changing the QB helps add some spark to incentivize fans to come back to the stadium for the first time since December 2019

2) We have almost $90 million to spend. Not getting big time free agents will hurt JD’s chances of keeping his job. So free agency will cover some holes on the team,  double dipping in those spots will also make JD look bad. 

29 minutes ago, StrawberryFields said:

I’m not sure it’s a great allocation of resources. We don’t need Sewell to play left tackle so why draft him at #2? I think the move is to take the QB and hope for the best. 

You can play a good lineman almost anywhere. Sewell has played RT before, its not new to him. He's a sure thing

• Upvote 2

Teams have already started moving their top edge rushers opposite of Becton. Having two elite tackles will shut it all down.

This makes sense if Joe D does not view any of the other QBs as close to sure things.

Try and trade down first. Otherwise give Darnold another year. If he sucks again, we will be picking top 10 again. They’ll be other QBs next year. Sam Howell is an excellent prospect. Basically, we shouldn’t get a QB just to get one. We have to wait for the guy we believe in.

• Upvote 3

I see no way that we get enough to trade back from #2. You don't pull a Parcells & pass up a Joe Thomas type. I don't care who you put back there, you build a line better than Dallas had & surround your QB with Allen Robinson- Mims-Crowder-Devonta Smith & Najee Harris, your gonna test sh*tty defenses! The Jets just beat the #1 defense in the league yesterday & you can make fun all you want about Sams 210 yard, 1 TD day but you replace Braxton Barrios with Devonta Smith & he makes that catch in the endzone & this game is even tougher on the Rams & Sam ends up with 240 yards & 2 TDs with no turnovers. That's never shabby in a win vs a good defense!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

The no. 2 pick seems awfully high for a right tackle. I think I’d trade back and go with edge or cb and then resume with oline or offensive skill players.  The thing too is there are going to be quite a few QBs available in free agency and it’s always possible Morgan is much better than has been let on.

The best edge rushers usually line up at LDE

Only issue with keeping Sam is that it is a two year $25 million+ commitment to him.

You can't keep Sam and not draft a QB high without exercising Sam's 5th year option for 2022.  If you don't exercise that option in May of 2021, he's an unrestricted free agent after the 2021 season. 

If you do exercise the option (again deadline is May 2021) that option is going to cost around $25 million and per the new CBA it is FULLY guaranteed.

So if you want to keep Sam you need to pick one of two options:

a) Don't exercise the option for 2022 and risk losing him for nothing after next year; or

b) Exercise the option and pay him him $25 million in 2022 even if he sucks absolute balls next year.

You have a little over 5 months to decide.

17 hours ago, pointman said:

Sounds like 09/10 all over again. Noodle arm, bone head Sam is the achilles that brings it all down. Sanchez knows.

They're basically the same player and I expect similar career trajectory. As I said, good chance Baker already has more wins in year 3 than Sam will when it's all said and done.

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

So if you want to keep Sam you need to pick one of two options:

a) Don't exercise the option for 2022 and risk losing him for nothing after next year; or

hey ya know what based on 3 years of Sam Darnold 

200.gif

side note penei sewell might be better at playing tackle than TL is at playing QB 

that's how good of a OT prospect he is 

• Upvote 2

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

In all the parallel universes where every single thing that could happen, does...there's not a single 1 where OSU or USC QBs are good in the NFL

So Carson Palmer isn't better than Cardale Jones, JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins who not only all played in Ohio State but for basically the same coaching staffs utilizing the same playbooks?

Even Mark Sanchez had a better NFL career than those clowns

19 hours ago, freestater said:

well...now that I look at it...that. what I wrote in the title. Gimmie that. 

2021 #1 - Elite O-line

2021 #1B - WR (or RB)

2021 #2 - RB (or WR)

2021 #3 - O-line (C?)

2021 #3B - WR/TE

Rest, whatever.  FA, Defense.

Sam/Morgan as our QB's.  New Head Coach.

I could be ok with that. Just because we're at #2 doesn't mean we have to reach for (or even take) a QB if there isn't the right one to take.  They'll make more for the 2022, 2023, 2024 etc. drafts.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Jetster said:

I see no way that we get enough to trade back from #2. You don't pull a Parcells & pass up a Joe Thomas type. I don't care who you put back there, you build a line better than Dallas had & surround your QB with Allen Robinson- Mims-Crowder-Devonta Smith & Najee Harris, your gonna test sh*tty defenses! The Jets just beat the #1 defense in the league yesterday & you can make fun all you want about Sams 210 yard, 1 TD day but you replace Braxton Barrios with Devonta Smith & he makes that catch in the endzone & this game is even tougher on the Rams & Sam ends up with 240 yards & 2 TDs with no turnovers. That's never shabby in a win vs a good defense!

I like it...but put yourself in Allan Robinson’s shoes. You’ve spent your career with Bortles/Henne, followed by Mitch and what’s left of Nick Foles. Now, ask yourself Why in the hell would he volunteer to play with Sam Darnold? He’s gonna get paid somewhere. I just seriously doubt it will be here. 

On 12/21/2020 at 2:38 AM, jetstream23 said:

Is Sewell a RT?  Who on Earth would use a #2 on a RT unless you already had a left-handed franchise QB?  If Sewell plays LT then are we moving Becton who has looked Pro Bowl caliber at LT?  Seems dumb.

Why not trade down, take TE Kyle Pitts or a WR like Chase, then get a really good RT later?

The significance of a blind side tackle is seriously overrated. We’ve literally seen top rushers moving to the other side against us and taking over games. Two elite tackles would be an incredible force.