How would you feel if the Jets announced that they hired Robert Saleh as their new head coach today?

Maxman

How would you feel if the Jets announced that they hired Robert Saleh as their new head coach today?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel if the Jets announced that they hired Robert Saleh as their new head coach today?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/14/2021 at 06:01 AM

The more important thing if they hire any defensive coach is who is going to be running the offense. I actually prefer a defensive minded HC bc I think they're better at running an overall team than an offensive minded coach. They do need to bring in an OC who is forward minded and creative on offense. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It's a second interview. I would hope other candidates warranted a second interview. If they hire Saleh today I would wonder what happened to the long search where they cast a wide net? I'd like to know what set Saleh apart that would make them hire him so quickly?

The wide net was the 9 candidates they interviewed. There is also 6 other teams vying for the same guys so there is an element of expediency that needs to be maintained otherwise you could lose your preferred guy. If you know who you want you go get him before someone else can. It's a simple as that. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, DetroitRed said:

Only thing I hate about hiring a D coach is that there always seems to be never ending changes at OC

This is my only gripe with the hire - if true. IMO if you want to go the unproven guy route, go with Brady. At least you'll have stability on the offensive end(which I think is way more important in a big picture perspective).

That being said, Saleh seems to be highly thought of in coaching circles. If the Jets/JD identified him as the guy and were aggressive in getting him hired, I'd have no issue with it.

Of the candidates interviewed he's my favorite and has been for awhile.  I am really impressed with him.

Pederson would be my co-favorite were he to interview.  Daboll and Staley the next rung below those two.  I was keen on Smith for a minute, but not sure he's ready to lead a team.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Thoughts on Robert Saleh

I wish you had an option besides REALLY good. It’s great that he looks like Universal soldier, but I don’t know enough about  him to say I’m would side with Saleh over the Rams and Colts DC ‘s. The latter two seemed to really be hot right now and this guy has been interviewed in Previous cycles...

I hope he’s not in over his head. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The early Twitter results are interesting.

image.png

Very interesting... I'm guessing fans have a bad taste in their mouths for Gase being fired and then instantly hired by us, but the difference between GASE and Pederson is NIGHT and DAY...  I would not be bummed with either choice.

• Upvote 1

From what little I know of him, he would definitely be a "culture changer" and gives the "leader of men" vibe.

I like that a lot.

But no one knows what he'd be like otherwise. I think of all the coordinators being interviewed, I prefer him the most.

It's not the most Jets hire they could make, but feels uninspired.

No one preferred him the "most" up until he became a real contender to get the job. I like that now he's suddenly "the best coordinator for the job".. unless, of course he doesn't get it then he'll be back to "not the right guy".

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

Very interesting... I'm guessing fans have a bad taste in their mouths for Gase being fired and then instantly hired by us, but the difference between GASE and Pederson is NIGHT and DAY...  I would not be bummed with either choice.

We also see a lot of Eagles games and have enough evidence to project how he would coach the Jets. The coordinators are a blank slate.

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The wide net was the 9 candidates they interviewed. There is also 6 other teams vying for the same guys so there is an element of expediency that needs to be maintained otherwise you could lose your preferred guy. If you know who you want you go get him before someone else can. It's a simple as that. 

Interviewing 9 guys via zoom and only liking one well enough to meet with him personally is worrisome.

• WTF? 2

13 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

I like Saleh, but the rumors that Shanahan loves Darnold scare the crap out of me that we'll pass on Fields in favor of Darnold if we hire Saleh. So I'm undecided until the draft come around.

So one of the best offensive minds in the game says he loves Sam and you don’t want to hire a coach associated with him because of it?

maybe you should just listen to the guy that knows more then any of us ever will

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CTM said:

yeah, i don't love the idea of a  defensive coach but the dude seems like a good coach

I'm in the same boat, but I'm unsure how much of the dread of this stems from how badly our roster-building has been under defensive coaches. If this means we use all our top picks on defensive lineman, corners, and ilbs, and safeties again, count me out.

That being said, I liked what I saw from the handful of interviews I watched, and I like that he's been a part of turning a bad defense into a top defense since he's been in SF.

• Upvote 1