The “Talk About Any 2021 Jets Quarterback NOT Named Deshaun Watson” Thread

SAR I

As the subject says, let’s make this the thread to discuss the quarterbacks we are far more likely to have leading us on opening day.   

I’d like to start by asking what the case is for Zach Wilson over Justin Fields.  I don’t watch college football and would like to understand why one is better for the Jets than the other.  

SAR I

• Sympathy 3

Im all about getting Deshaun but if not I want Stafford.

You could get Stafford and the 7th pick for the 2. It solves our Qb situation for 4 or 5 years and gets us good value in a trade down. 

4 or 5 years is a lifetime in the NFL. We will still would have allthosefirst round picks and QB set. We could compete for the playoffs this year. 

Most of all Mimsand the rest of our offense actually could develop. I’m extremely afraid of Wilson getting injured or busting. 

• Thumb Down 3

11 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

You could get Stafford and the 7th pick for the 2. It solves our Qb situation for 4 or 5 years and gets us good value in a trade down. 

4 or 5 years is a lifetime in the NFL. We will still would have allthosefirst round picks and QB set. We could compete for the playoffs this year. 

Most of all Mimsand the rest of our offense actually could develop. I’m extremely afraid of Wilson getting injured or busting. 

So you’d keep Darnold as the backup and let him develop behind a seasoned Stafford or would you trade him?

SAR I

7 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I would not hate Stafford. I definitely don't love it but his contract is so good ($20m and $23m). I like the idea of keeping a first in the top 10. 

If Stafford is a thought then I think Dak needs to be a thought if the Cowboys don't franchise tag him. I don't love the contract but we have the money where it wouldn't cripple us. We would still have $30m in cap plus all our picks with the ability to really rake it in at #2 in a trade down. Obviously you want to see where he is at health wise too.

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So you’d keep Darnold as the backup and let him develop behind a seasoned Stafford or would you trade him?

SAR I

Trading Darnold 100%. 

Statistically there are just not many QB’s in the NFL that have put up Darnold’s numbers over their first three years and went on to become successful QB’s in the NFL. He is exactly the player he was in college in terms of mechanics and turnovers. Whats his upside? A poor mans Jameis Winston with all the poor decisions"?

Right now Saleh keeps mentioning how Sam was the Third overall pick. Mcshay says Sam is special. Jeremiah too. Coincidently these are allof Joe Douglas boys. I’d like to think our GM is simply trying to boost his value and trade him before the draft. 

Sam darnold has well over 40 turnovers in 38 career games. This is who he is. Getting a second rounder for him would be amazing. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I would not hate Stafford. I definitely don't love it but his contract is so good ($20m and $23m). I like the idea of keeping a first in the top 10. 

If Stafford is a thought then I think Dak needs to be a thought if the Cowboys don't franchise tag him. I don't love the contract but we have the money where it wouldn't cripple us. We would still have $30m in cap plus all our picks with the ability to really rake it in at #2 in a trade down. Obviously you want to see where he is at health wise too.

For sure on Dak. I keep assuming Dallasis signing him. 

My biggest takeaway on QB after being a Jets fan for so long is just you cant evaluate or develop your team without a QB in the NFL. 

If Mims is healthy for example I know hell be a 1000 yard WR with Stafford or Watson. Herndon will be much better. Our running game wont get 8 in the box like it has for a decade. Like if we had Stafford im NOT signing Arob. Im drafting a rookie WR and theyll be great on a rookie contract bc of him. On defense we might have a lead which usually leads to sacks and turnovers. 

Oversimplified it a bit but just need some stability there to develop this team.  With 18 draft picks in the next 2 years they are going to be in such a better place to succeed with stability at QB. Its why we have seen teams with good QBs replace skilled players easily time after time throughout the years and be absolutely fine.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

As the subject says, let’s make this the thread to discuss the quarterbacks we are far more likely to have leading us on opening day.   

I’d like to start by asking what the case is for Zach Wilson over Justin Fields.  I don’t watch college football and would like to understand why one is better for the Jets than the other.  

SAR I

There's like 10 threads on each. M&M  Mods Merge

42 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Ignorance is correctable. Stupidity is forever! 

Listen we had the chance to draft DW,and as always we passed,ugh! No way in hell should we be willing to give up the haul Houston is asking. That would set this team back for years, again!
Is Sam truly done, or was Adam Gase such a rotten coach that he never really put the guy in the position to succeed.
If not Sam then you bring in an (not too old vet) as a hold the fort guy while we build the rest of the team with our picks and cap space for the next two years.
Then trade down this year number 2 a few spots and pick up some extra picks. If Wilson is still there we take him. If not then hopefully the Jets know of another young prospect like a Trask who we can take a chance on and develop.
We also have James Morgan who now has a years experience in the pro system. We still have so little information on this guy and how his development is progressing. This year we will have the normal training camp and preseason and a chance to see what this guy is made of.
So if Houston is willing to take this years and next year 1s for DW plus Sam, then sold,any more then that and its time to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, the longer this flirtation with Watson goes on, the less likely it becomes that you can bring Darnold back. You have current Jets players and alumni liking tweets and commenting on a Watson trade, which is revealing about what they think about Sam inside that locker room. And if they bring Richard Sherman in, Sherman is going to openly advocate for the trade. Darnold doesn’t help himself by being a Cali-boy sulky recluse mush, but how does he walk back into Florham Park after this offseason? 

This

many are underestimating these points you’ve pointed out, I fully agree and I’ll add his confidence has to be shattered. Remember when he was asked about Lawrence to the jets? “I do have social media” - ? And if you look at how he played this season.. it’s safe to say the kid can’t handle pressure. 

Now after this offseason of flirting with 1 million other QBs how can anyone in the Jets front office actually believe that Darnold will have a “bounce back” season, when the kid has proven he will fold under pressure? 

edit: to prove your point on how they might really view Sam, go look at Chris and Sherm podcast on PFF, they asked Fred Warner directly “do you think it’s over for Sam” and his response is telling. I can only imagine what Salah said about Sam while the 49ers were game planing against us this year. 

goto 40:05

There is not another player in the league that statistically ranks at the bottom for their position but can potentially net a 2nd round pick in return.  Take advantage of that and trade Darnold and draft Wilson.  You cannot punt on a QB this year if you're sitting at 2.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Darnold doesn’t help himself by being a Cali-boy sulky recluse mush,

lmao... I just called him typical SoCal. I like you're definition much better... He needs to light a fire up his ARSE or else take it someplace else. 

#2 for stafford and 7?  that trade is highway robbery for the lions - stafford couldn't get it done on a team with a way better roster, how's he going to do it here?

i'm a georgia fan, so i have love for stafford but in no way do i want him in NY.  

its either watson or a rookie QB.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

kind of reminds when the giaints had kurt warner for a season.  warner chose to leave instead of keeping the seat warm for his successor.  i guess it would be different for stafford since the jets don't really have a hare apparent unless they select a guy this draft with the idea that they keep selecting qbs until they find one.  and yes, staffords contract is way more friendly than watson's.