Ex-Jets GM would trade his mother and first born for Watson.

Lurker89

For Tanny to state that you don’t let the other GM off the phone without concluding the deal is absurd. Why not negotiate  on zoom wearing an “I am desperate” sign?  Way to negotiate!   

Listening to Tanny  (Did he ever play touch football?) concerning NFL personnel is the equivalent of attending a Kardashian lecture on intellect or modesty with regard to attire.  

For those who state that Tanny was better than Idzik or Mac, that’s setting the bar a tad low, don’t you think?

Thank goodness that we have a real GM NOW. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pointman said:

He put together the best roster this teams had in a long time. Haven't had that much talent since he left. Tanny > every other GM so far.

The roster was the product of Mangini's eye for talent, Rex's pied piper act to attract free agents combined with Tanny's willingness to make splash trades. But, the fact is that Tanny built a one time run roster that only lasted a couple of years. Tanny sucked at drafting without Mangini in his ear and the the Jets were never able to replenish the cupboard that was laid bare by Tanny's sh*tty and minimal (since he traded away so many picks) draft picks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The roster was the product of Mangini's eye for talent, Rex's pied piper act to attract free agents combined with Tanny's willingness to make splash trades. But, the fact is that Tanny built a one time run roster that only lasted a couple of years. Tanny sucked at drafting without Mangini in his ear and the the Jets were never able to replenish the cupboard that was laid bare by Tanny's sh*tty and minimal (since he traded away so many picks) draft picks.

Yes. Tannenbaum's actions has caused this franchise to not be able to "replenish the cupboard" through the draft, despite it having been nearly a decade. He is at fault for all the picks made and all the bums that were paid and thrown out soon after. 

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I love Watson...

But Mike Tanny gave Sanchez a huge extension and traded for Tim Tebow in the same offseason did he not? Not sure I'm gonna listen to him on how to handle the QB situation.

Do we trust Mr. Tannenbaumer with any  professional quarterback advice?

No we absolutely do not...

screen-shot-2020-04-14-at-53414-pm_VHjrsU1.png

• Upvote 3

Let's look at it another way-Tanny oversaw the greatest 10 years in Jets history, and his teams made the AFFCG two years in a row with Mark Sanchez at QB.  That resulted in joy to Jets fans and enabled Woody to sell the PSLs for his new stadium.

Did it result in a broken team later?  Yes.  Would I hire Tanny again now?  No.  I am happy with JD now?  For now, yes, sort of.

The problem with trading the farm now for Watson is that the Jets would not have enough picks to rebuild the disaster roster.  We must also take into account the fact that the switch of the defense means that the defense needs even more and different players than they did before.  

If the Jets wanted Watson desperately, its easy:  call Houston right now and offer them all 4 first round picks, plus some.  Its done.  But I think the better answer is to put a reasonable bid in, even though Miami and Carolina could dump the farm on Houston.  

The Jets can't.  The team is too depleted. 

But JD needs to understand that the future is now.  It does not matter if he wins every trade, does not overpay for FAs, and drafts the highest ranked players.  He needs to produce a team that wins.  The 2020 team was alot worse than 2019.  That was not supposed to be that way.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, pointman said:

Yes. Tannenbaum's actions has caused this franchise to not be able to "replenish the cupboard" through the draft, despite it having been nearly a decade. He is at fault for all the picks made and all the bums that were paid and thrown out soon after. 

It certainly didn't help

4 minutes ago, pointman said:

Tannenbaum appears to have cut you deep. Don't worry. I too have not gotten over the pain of feeling something in 2010. 

Cut deep? It is just the reality of the situation. He is what he is. A poor drafter who loves a splash trade. I bear him no ill will for being who he is.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, baamf said:

Yet he just signed a new deal with that FO/CS four months ago..

"I'm lost for words, honestly. Been crying a little bit, a lot of bit, really. It's just an amazing moment for me," the two-time Pro Bowler said. "The money is amazing. It's life-changing. It's great. But the biggest thing is for the (organization) to just trust in me and believe in me that I'm their guy, I'm their quarterback is the biggest thing that really touches me."

Deshaun Watson signed a contract extension prior to the 2020 season

Right before the 2020 NFL season got underway, Watson seemingly committed his future to Houston. Deshaun Watson and the Houston Texans agreed to terms on a four-year, $156 million contract extension, with guaranteed salary at signing through 2022.

Watson signed the deal entering the fourth year of his career. Therefore, he still had two years remaining on his rookie deal, including the fifth-year option. Counting the 2020 season, the contract extension meant Deshaun Watson was committed to the Texans for six seasons.

Following the hiring of Nick Caserio, the relationship dissolved

The relationship between the Texans and Deshaun Watson has appeared tense at times. The trading away of DeAndre Hopkins was likely the start of the problem. Then, throughout the struggles in 2020, Houston fired head coach Bill O’Brien.

O’Brien served as the head coach and the general manager for the Texans. Therefore, the Texans were left searching for a replacement for both roles. They hired Nick Caserio as their general manager, who was part of the New England Patriots organization. However, it was immediately obvious from Watson’s Twitter account that he was not happy with the decision.

While he has not publicly requested a trade, and he hasn’t even officially reached the first year of his contract extension, speculation has begun widely about Deshaun Watson’s potential landing spots if he were to leave. As of today (1/28/21), reports are coming out that Deshaun Watson has indeed requested a trade.

One such location that previously seemed unlikely was the Miami Dolphins. Chris Mortensen tweeted Sunday that despite having a no-trade clause, “informed speculation from a source is that he [Watson] would consider the Miami Dolphins.”

4 hours ago, pointman said:

lol. Cool. Who said he was a good GM? Damn him for putting together a team that won! DAMN HIM!

Salty GIF by memecandy

I mean yeah.... It's unfortunate anytime the Jets flirt with success... Desiccated corpsey fans like myself can't work with that. I need a new depth of ineptitude year after year. If JD messes up the feng shui we've cultivated over the last 60 years I'm gonna be pissed.

evil akira kurosawa GIF by Maudit

3 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I mean yeah.... It's unfortunate anytime the Jets flirt with success... Desiccated corpsey fans like myself can't work with that. I need a new depth of ineptitude year after year. If JD messes up the feng shui we've cultivated over the last 60 years I'm gonna be pissed.

evil akira kurosawa GIF by Maudit

Your written post made me like 

Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago

Then you saved it with that gif and I was like

Thumbs Ok GIF by Busch

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

He only drafted well under Mangini.  Listen to him speak, great numbers guy but a very poor evaluator of talent.  As was REX.  

I don’t think he was the greatest ever by a long shot, but the magic duo of him & Mangini also drafted Kellen Clemens to be its QB of the future, and the worst bust the team has ever taken up top in Gholston. Mangini was no savant himself. It was also his bright idea to get rid of the last serious pass rusher this team has had for a friggin’ center. I don’t care how much we loved & appreciated Mangold; in retrospect the truth is Abraham was the more valuable player. It’s no accident elite pass rushers are paid double what the best centers get: they’re worth double. 

But he did make a bunch of good moves in between his terrible ones, and the result was a team that was a better QB away from a super bowl. Twice (and in the latter, who knows if we might have been able to if not for a cba rule that stated we couldn’t just pick up any FA we wanted until a FA of our own signed elsewhere). 

Again, I don’t wish he was still here but he’s a HOF GM compared to the two who followed him, and Douglas - for all his talen evaluation background and stress on the OL - has picked up 100% busts & letdowns on the line in FA so far, and badly overpaid for them, too. 

I think Douglas will prove to be a better GM than Tannenbaum in time, but so far his best moves have been in accumulating picks not making them, and his free agent pickups (and decisions on whom to pass on) have been embarrassingly bad. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Paradis said:

No. This is my area of profession. There are new players in the game; GMs. Coaches. Watson has a duty to report in. Don’t for a NY second give me some sob story about the plight of millionaire QB who feels slighted. That was then. This is now. How old are you Deshaun? Pick up the fcking phone and talk. 

This is the first time in Watson career, Clemson or Texans, where his team sucked. People mailed in. Players played poorly. Etc. Houston is a circus yes, but Watson is adding to it with his own brand immaturity right now. His being a bit of Nancy. Show some resiliency. 

(and stop holding his jacket J80)

No one is saying Watson is dealing with a "plight", but he is being screwed by a bad organization.  You take the side of the billionaires, I'll err on the side of the millionaires.  They all have way too much money but there's no chance you can reasonably paint this thing as the Texans being in the right.  

And no, I won't stop holding his jacket.  He's proven to be a great dude and QB in this league.  People are turning on him for requesting a trade even when that's happened many times over in the NFL.  How dare him!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You take the side of the billionaires, I'll err on the side of the millionaires. 

Completely and categorically wrong. I'm taking the side of the process

This is why is said "no. this my area of profession"... I don't mean any offense when i say I would walk laps around you in this conversation. The contract he signed is a two way contract. There's responsibilities on both sides. Deshaun maybe has good reason to feel the way he does, and may very well feel this is not the place he wants to be... that does not in any way shape or form absolve him of his duty to communicate - and be a professional... he's being a b*tch. And it's adding fuel to the fire nonsensically. Pick up the fcking phone and talk to management. "Sorry guys, not interested. Let's talk about how we can mutually part ways." He can say that 10/10 times they call. 

I like Deshaun. I would like him on the Jets even more. If the price was right, i'd be on the phone in a heartbeat.... I get that you're notion of "price is right" is different than mine.... but you're trending into "he can do no wrong" territory which is where you voice comes with asterisk. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2021 at 11:19 AM, Lurker89 said:

TRADER MIKE!!!!!

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/mike-tannenbaum-deshaun-watson-jets-trade-quinnen-williams/

Ex-Jets GM would trade 4 first-rounders, Quinnen Williams for Deshaun Watson

Sam Neumann 

February 3, 2021 11:02 am

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum is no stranger to making splashy trades at the quarterback position.

During his tenure at One Jets Drive, Tannenbaum traded for Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre and traded up in the draft to select Mark Sanchez. And that was over the course of just two offseasons.

With his track record in mind, it’s no surprise that Tannebaum now believes the Jets should trade for disgruntled Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. If he were still the GM, he’d be willing to trade the family farm and then some.

Putting himself in Joe Douglas’ shoes, Tannenbaum said he would part with four first-round picks and one of New York’s best defensive players without a second thought.

“I would get Nick Caserio on the phone. I would absolutely do whatever it took,” Tannenbaum said on The Jake Asman Show. “Once you have Deshaun Watson, you create this aura of association. We decided in Tampa Bay, Leonard Fournette, Rob Gronkowski, and Antonio Brown — it’s amazing what a great quarterback does.

“It changes your franchise, and you have Robert Saleh. You go get Deshaun Watson, and the New York Jets will be thought about completely differently for the next 10 years. And if you have to throw in Quinnen Williams, I don’t care. Because I can go find a Quinnen Williams, but Deshaun Watson is too talented. He’s a great person. He’s a great leader. He’s young. He’s under contract for five years. Whatever it takes, I get Deshaun Watson.”

While it would be hard to see the Jets and specifically Saleh parting with Williams — or four first-rounders — Watson is one of the best players at his position. He would instantly become one of the best passers in franchise history.

While it would be hard to see the Jets and specifically Saleh parting with Williams — or four first-rounders — Watson is one of the best players at his position. He would instantly become one of the best passers in franchise history.

That said, the Jets haven’t exactly lucked out in the pass-rusher department and would be wise to find a way to keep Williams in a potential blockbuster trade for Watson.

Even in a season in which his head coach was fired and his star wide receiver was shipped away, Watson still managed to lead the NFL in passing. He finished the 2020 campaign completing 70.2% of his passes for 4,823 yards, 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

The Jets have the cap space and the draft capital to make one of the strongest bids for Waston. While Tannenbaum puts together a convincing argument, he’s also mortgaging the team’s future in the process. Time will tell if Douglas and the Jets’ front office feels the same way.

Not sure that was ever really a question, 

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Completely and categorically wrong. I'm taking the side of the process

This is why is said "no. this my area of profession"... I don't mean any offense when i say I would walk laps around you in this conversation. The contract he signed is a two way contract. There's responsibilities on both sides. Deshaun maybe has good reason to feel the way he does, and may very well feel this is not the place he wants to be... that does not in any way shape or form absolve him of his duty to communicate - and be a professional... he's being a b*tch. And it's adding fuel to the fire nonsensically. Pick up the fcking phone and talk to management. "Sorry guys, not interested. Let's talk about how we can mutually part ways." He can say that 10/10 times they call. 

I like Deshaun. I would like him on the Jets even more. If the price was right, i'd be on the phone in a heartbeat.... I get that you're notion of "price is right" is different than mine.... but you're trending into "he can do no wrong" territory which is where you voice comes with asterisk. 

And how do we know he didn't pick up the phone?  That's the part I'm confused about.  He already had several conversations with the Texans over the weeks/months prior to everything going considerably downhill, where he provided his input on what he'd like to see the direction of the org look like.

So after that point what good would it do to try to salvage anything?  He wants out.  He requested a trade.  It's done.  No more conversations to be had other than finalizing a trade.

You seem to be making a lot of pro-Texans/ownership or anti-Watson assumptions about how this all played out.  I don't see that as me misunderstanding the process.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And how do we know he didn't pick up the phone?  That's the part I'm confused about.  He already had several conversations with the Texans over the weeks/months prior to everything going considerably downhill, where he provided his input on what he'd like to see the direction of the org look like.

So after that point what good would it do to try to salvage anything?  He wants out.  He requested a trade.  It's done.  No more conversations to be had other than finalizing a trade.

You seem to be making a lot of pro-Texans/ownership or anti-Watson assumptions about how this all played out.  I don't see that as me misunderstanding the process.

I'm operating under hearsay - same as you. Your grasp of what DW has done is no different than mine. 

you've got me pegged wrong - I'm not pro Texans. Their incompetency over the last 2 years knows no bounds. They had everything working for them and they fcked it up. Now... they have new players in the brass office, who deserve a clean slate - but I could GAF how that plays out other than whether that means we get DW at a reasonable price.

All that drama doesn't change that DW is getting paid at present. He has a duty to communicate. He can request a trade on Tuesday and still be responsible for picking up the phone on Thursday. Every week. Week after week. He can't phone the texans and they decide whether or not to pick up. His employer has a duty to respond. Same as DW. This is law of an employment contract.

You're not gonna win this. It's not a mark on you or your desire to get him here - but this is my battlefield mate. DW is being juvenile. That's doesn't mean his employer isn't a fckface. Both can be true. 

20 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Then he should have tried for a GM job because as a HC he sucked.. And I know the Ghost was all Tanny and it was Tanny that got rid of Abe, Mawae and Pete Kendall..:blink:

• Upvote 1

TRADER MIKE!!!!!

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/mike-tannenbaum-deshaun-watson-jets-trade-quinnen-williams/

Sam Neumann 

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum is no stranger to making splashy trades at the quarterback position.

During his tenure at One Jets Drive, Tannenbaum traded for Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre and traded up in the draft to select Mark Sanchez. And that was over the course of just two offseasons.

With his track record in mind, it’s no surprise that Tannebaum now believes the Jets should trade for disgruntled Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. If he were still the GM, he’d be willing to trade the family farm and then some.

Putting himself in Joe Douglas’ shoes, Tannenbaum said he would part with four first-round picks and one of New York’s best defensive players without a second thought.

“I would get Nick Caserio on the phone. I would absolutely do whatever it took,” Tannenbaum said on The Jake Asman Show. “Once you have Deshaun Watson, you create this aura of association. We decided in Tampa Bay, Leonard Fournette, Rob Gronkowski, and Antonio Brown — it’s amazing what a great quarterback does.

“It changes your franchise, and you have Robert Saleh. You go get Deshaun Watson, and the New York Jets will be thought about completely differently for the next 10 years. And if you have to throw in Quinnen Williams, I don’t care. Because I can go find a Quinnen Williams, but Deshaun Watson is too talented. He’s a great person. He’s a great leader. He’s young. He’s under contract for five years. Whatever it takes, I get Deshaun Watson.”

That said, the Jets haven’t exactly lucked out in the pass-rusher department and would be wise to find a way to keep Williams in a potential blockbuster trade for Watson.

Even in a season in which his head coach was fired and his star wide receiver was shipped away, Watson still managed to lead the NFL in passing. He finished the 2020 campaign completing 70.2% of his passes for 4,823 yards, 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

The Jets have the cap space and the draft capital to make one of the strongest bids for Waston. While Tannenbaum puts together a convincing argument, he’s also mortgaging the team’s future in the process. Time will tell if Douglas and the Jets’ front office feels the same way.

That’s why he’s an “ex” GM

TRADER MIKE!!!!!

Sam Neumann 

Well thank god you aren’t here anymore Mike ? 

On 2/3/2021 at 5:18 PM, varjet said:

Let's look at it another way-Tanny oversaw the greatest 10 years in Jets history

10 years?  He was the Jets GM from 2006-2012.  I get that he started with the org in 1997, but you can't give him credit for the 2000-2005 seasons when he wasn't sitting in the big chair, and had nothing to do with the decisions that set up the first half of that decade.  That was basically all Parcells' doing.

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2021 at 2:13 PM, Sonny Werblin said:

I think Mangini is precisely the kind of cold calculating bastard who would excel at being a GM.

wait im confused.

i thought the GM drafts the players? yet Mangini gets credit for the good draft picks, and Rex gets the blame for the bad ones? 

then what does a GM do? or is it just some people love Mangini and love to give him credit for doing nothing as a coach.

you guys love making fun of Tanny but in a few years if those 3 or 4 draft picks turn into nothing because there not a sure thing and QW leaves in 3 years when his rookie contract is up i bet your all going to have something much different to say about giving 4 #1s and QW for Watson.

and you guy like to think the glass is half filled with QW. he only had 7 sacks last year. he COULD BE  really good. or 7 sacks a year is all he might be. 33 players had 7 or more sacks last year. there not hard to find. 

Deshawn Watson is a sure thing. 

On 2/3/2021 at 11:52 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

The fact that Houston’s O wasn’t so much the problem this season as the D was and Watson wanted an OC for HC troubled me. A leader would have said “I got the O, hire a HC that can fix the D”.

If it is all about winning his position was curious to say the least.

He wanted Saleh as a hc.