NFL Rumor Texans DeShaun Watson to Jaguars for #1 pick Trevor Lawrence could be in play

joewilly12

1 hour ago, Nick Blitz said:

Two problems with this in my opinion.

Would the Texans really trade Watson to a division rival? I’m not convinced.

And would Deshaun waive his no trade clause to go to Jacksonville? A small market team with a bottom 5 roster. I’d say unlikely.

Pats traded Bledsoe to the Bills for a 1st rd pick..

I'm kinda over DeSaun unless he forces a trade here with his ability to veto. It's not worth it to us to get into a bidding war or for him if he wants talent to surround him. Makes zero sense to get him if it means giving up our ability to surround a QB with talent 

I'd give up the 2 and Seattles pick next year tops. They get 2 firsts to save face and we still got a first rounder the next 2 years

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Urban Myer changes that.

I doubt it would take too much convincing to get him to buy in.

Urban Meyer has never even been an assistant coach at the pro level.

Aside from Jimmy Johnson, when have any of these college coaches worked out?

Saban sucked, Spurrier sucked, Erickson sucked, etc.

And it’s not like dudes like Kingsbury and Rhule have set the league on fire so far.

The only thing appealing about playing in Jacksonville is no state income tax.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Urban Meyer has never even been an assistant coach at the pro level.

Aside from Jimmy Johnson, when have any of these college coaches worked out?

Saban sucked, Spurrier sucked, Erickson sucked, etc.

And it’s not like dudes like Kingsbury and Rhule have set the league on fire so far.

The only thing appealing about playing in Jacksonville is no state income tax.

Doesn't matter.  I'm not going to say he'll be a success - but if you're Watson and you want out, there will only be a few realistic options - having Urban is absolutely a selling point.

In addition to that - you'll going to a team that just didn't just completely mortgage its future by giving away three years worth of premium picks.  They'll be able to quickly build a team around him.  Jax is a better destination than the Jets if the Jets are giving up 3 firsts

But a Watson-Jaguars deal would turn the draft upside down. 

My favorite quote from the article.  If there is no trade, Jacksonville likely selects Lawrence at 1 overall.   If Watson is sent to Jax for #1, then Houston likely selects Lawrence at 1 overall.  Either way, the draft is minimally impacted. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Watson is looking for HIS type of coach. Biennemy or Saleh. i don't think an old authoritarian white dude is what he's looking for.

All I'm saying is Watson's options are limited - if he really wants out of Houston he'll need to compromise.  

If the Texans give him a take it or leave it - if he really wants out, he takes it.  

I get the sense the Texans are prepared to let Watson hold-out if they can't find the value they're looking for.

4 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I'm kinda over DeSaun unless he forces a trade here with his ability to veto. It's not worth it to us to get into a bidding war or for him if he wants talent to surround him. Makes zero sense to get him if it means giving up our ability to surround a QB with talent 

I'd give up the 2 and Seattles pick next year tops. They get 2 firsts to save face and we still got a first rounder the next 2 years

Haven't we been over this a million times - Mamma Mia! We will have plenty of assets to build around Watson even if we give up 3 #1 picks. We'll still have a #1 two or all three years depending on what Sam nets us, a ton of cap space to sign guys that want to play with Watson and for Saleh. We could have Watson, Thuney, JuJu or ARob, a rookie receiver, corner, pass rusher - it's all possible with our picks and free agent money. Add a hopefully motivated and healthy CJ Mosely to the mix.

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Haven't we been over this a million times - Mamma Mia! We will have plenty of assets to build around Watson even if we give up 3 #1 picks. We'll still have a #1 two or all three years depending on what Sam nets us, a ton of cap space to sign guys that want to play with Watson and for Saleh. We could have Watson, Thuney, JuJu or ARob, a rookie receiver, corner, pass rusher - it's all possible with our picks and free agent money. Add a hopefully motivated and healthy CJ Mosely to the mix.

I mean we're not really disagreeing outside an extra pick. I'm sensitive, be nicer to me. I know Max

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nick Blitz said:

Would the Texans really trade Watson to a division rival? I’m not convinced.

And would Deshaun waive his no trade clause to go to Jacksonville? A small market team with a bottom 5 roster. I’d say unlikely.

Solid points. Love the sig pic btw. Should start a rumor that the Jets put fiberglass in their jumbo pretzels.

Nick Blitz

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2021 at 3:28 PM, FidelioJet said:

Doesn't matter.  I'm not going to say he'll be a success - but if you're Watson and you want out, there will only be a few realistic options - having Urban is absolutely a selling point.

In addition to that - you'll going to a team that just didn't just completely mortgage its future by giving away three years worth of premium picks.  They'll be able to quickly build a team around him.  Jax is a better destination than the Jets if the Jets are giving up 3 firsts

What's the best case scenario for Urban?  3, 4 years?  If he works out.  If Jax struggles, why won't they, how long until he's not feeling well again? 

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What's the best case scenario for Urban?  3, 4 years?  If he works out.  If Jax struggles, why won't they, how long until he's not feeling well again? 

I’m not advocating for Urban Myer, quite glad he’s not our coach.

All I’m saying is - If Watson really wants out of Houston - and they play hardball with him and say it’s Jax or we’re not trading you....Having Urban Myer will carry some weight in Watson’s decision making at that point.

There is absolutely a sales pitch Jax can make to Watson to get him to buy in.  

38 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’m not advocating for Urban Myer, quite glad he’s not our coach.

All I’m saying is - If Watson really wants out of Houston - and they play hardball with him and say it’s Jax or we’re not trading you....Having Urban Myer will carry some weight in Watson’s decision making at that point.

There is absolutely a sales pitch Jax can make to Watson to get him to buy in.  

All I’m saying is he’s staying short term. Of all goes well.  Urban doesn’t tend to stick around inter any circumstance lately.  I’m just not seeing a couple of years on a horrid team but with Urban as a selling point.  

On 2/10/2021 at 1:45 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

2021-2025 cost

• Watson = $146.54MM = $29.3MM average
  • Lawrence = $68MM (likely 4 yrs $38MM plus a $30MM option for y5) = ~$13.5MM/yr average
  • $29.3MM vs ~$13.5MM = about $15-16MM/year difference.

Except that's also presuming Lawrence doesn't get a mega extension before/at the start of his 4th season like Watson/Mahomes. The first 2 years of amortized signing bonus on such a huge deal would close that gap even further, probably ~$12MM give or take, or $2-3MM/year. 

True net cost difference between the two - if Lawrence is nearly Watson's equal on the field - is about $13MM/year. That's it. 

For a team like Jacksonville - or the Jets - who will be sitting on some $80MM of cap room in March, and no obvious drafted players in need of extending anytime soon, the cost difference is insignificant weighed against the importance of the position.

But at the point Lawrence is up for renewal Watson will also be up for a contract renewal.