How I would negotiate the Watson deal

Alka

There has been talk of giving up Darnold, Quinnen Williams, 1st round #2 pick this year, 2nd round pick this year, 1st round pick next year, and 2nd round pick next year.

A 6 for 1 deal if you will.  Of course, this is unreasonable and without much thought.

I value Watson as a franchise player at a premium position, so giving up draft capital or a player of equal value should be the standard deal.

So, how do we do that?

First, I value Quinnen Williams as a premium player, but not as valuable as Watson, since Watson is the QB.  So, if Houston really wants Q, I would say that Q equals (2) mid round 1st round draft picks, so if you want him, then you can have him, but no other 1st round picks.  I would offer (3) 2nd round picks to go with Q, and one of those 2nd round picks would be Sam Darnold, since I value Darnold as a high 2nd round pick.

So, you can have Q, Darnold, our 2nd round pick for this year, and next years 2nd round pick, all for Watson.

Let's say that Houston comes back and says that they must have our #2 pick in the draft.  I would say "fine", you can have our #2 pick in the draft, but that pick equals (2) mid first round picks, so, you can have our #2 pick, Darnold (he equals a high 2nd round pick), plus our 2nd round pick this year and next.  No other 1st round picks, and no Q.

Lets say that Houston comes back and says that we must give them (2) first round picks.  I would say "fine", you can have our #23 pick of this years draft, our higher 1st round pick next year, Darnold (equal to high 2nd round pick), this years 2nd round pick, and next years 2nd round pick.  This way, we keep the #2 pick, we keep Quinnen Williams, who I absolutely would hate to give up in any deal, but he has to be brought up if Houston really wants him.

I think this is fair, and any more than this would make me want to puke.  What do you think?

They are only trading with us for the 2 pick. No other reason to even deal with us.  They can have that pick and another 1 next year.  Take it or leave it

This offer is necessary to drive up the price for MiAmi.   They would have to give up both firsts this year 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

They are only trading with us for the 2 pick. No other reason to even deal with us.  They can have that pick and another 1 next year.  Take it or leave it

This offer is necessary to drive up the price for MiAmi.   They would have to give up both firsts this year 

I can go along with that deal.  This way, we use Darnold to get another 2nd round pick, and we keep both 2nd round picks from this year and next.  I could do that.

1 minute ago, genot said:

Watson isn't playing football this year. Period.

If true, I'd 100% build around Sam.

If Sam sucks with a solid team around him, then go after Watson next year again.

Watson with an already established good oline n WR corps would be pretty damn nice.

• Upvote 1

I would be fine with this actually. I know you are going to get a lot of people on here saying things like- 'offer them the #2 and thats it! They are in no position to bargain.' But the fact of the matter is Watson will not get traded for anything lower than multiple 1st rounders and/or something of equal value (as you describe). Houston will not give him up for any less. 

I agree that it would really suck to part ways with Q. I may even put a higher value on him because I think this season you will really see his full potential in Salehs defense. But if Houston REALLY wants him and JD REALLY wants Watson, you have to make his available. I may make initially say he's off the table and as negotiations proceed only offer him up if I get a favorable deal. In other words, Houston would really, really have to want him and have to overpay. For example, instead of Q, Darnold and x2 second rounders, it would be Q, Darnold (2nd round value) and a 5th. You're essentially forcing Houston to pass on the Q option unless they really want him.  

The other thing I will add is that I'm not so sure they want Darnold and you have him involved in every option. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If Sam sucks with a solid team around him, then go after Watson next year again.

Watson with an already established good oline n WR corps would be pretty damn nice.

Bingo. Texans go 0-16.. Rebuild that team, trade Watson for more draft capital. Sign another QB, (Maybe Darnold), and then draft a QB the following year. It's the reason i believe Watson wants out. He doesn't want to be part of a long rebuild 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Why throw away another year?  We've already wasted three on Darnold.  If Watson isn't available, draft the best college QB and build around that kid.   Get as many "weapons" as possible for Darnold to help the team and the rookie QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I say it again, one player can not make 10 players better, yet 10 players can make one look great.
Keep Watson, we should have drafted him in the first place, another Jets dumb move.
Either keep Sam for one more year with excellent players around him and see if he’s fixable. The other alternative is to trade him for a 2nd bring in a solid veteran ie, a Teddy Bridgewater or other QB to hold the fort and be a solid game manager.
Then trade down out of the second spot and acquire more picks to build the team into the future.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

23 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Why throw away another year?  We've already wasted three on Darnold.  If Watson isn't available, draft the best college QB and build around that kid.   Get as many "weapons" as possible for Darnold to help the team and the rookie QB.

I view it as not throwing away Sam's draft pick 3 years ago.

And not throwing away this year's pick too.  From what I hear, I don't want Wilson, unless that's Russell Wilson.

We'd be able to use all our picks and cap space finally building a good team.

And again, if Sam sucks with a good team around him (I don't think he will), then bring in Watson or a rookie next year when it's a good situation.  Basically not wasting a year of Watson or a cheap year on some other rookie's deal while we're still rebuilding.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, QB1 said:

It’s pretty simple. Texans, do you want the second or third QB in the draft? Because we don’t get Watson we are drafting your guy and you will be stuck at 3 with your dick between your legs.

I appreciate your view.

But I think you have the "between your legs" phrase wrong.

Hopefully every guy has that situation.

You might be looking for, "in your hand".

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dick in my hand

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alka said:

There has been talk of giving up Darnold, Quinnen Williams, 1st round #2 pick this year, 2nd round pick this year, 1st round pick next year, and 2nd round pick next year.

A 6 for 1 deal if you will.  Of course, this is unreasonable and without much thought.

I value Watson as a franchise player at a premium position, so giving up draft capital or a player of equal value should be the standard deal.

So, how do we do that?

First, I value Quinnen Williams as a premium player, but not as valuable as Watson, since Watson is the QB.  So, if Houston really wants Q, I would say that Q equals (2) mid round 1st round draft picks, so if you want him, then you can have him, but no other 1st round picks.  I would offer (3) 2nd round picks to go with Q, and one of those 2nd round picks would be Sam Darnold, since I value Darnold as a high 2nd round pick.

So, you can have Q, Darnold, our 2nd round pick for this year, and next years 2nd round pick, all for Watson.

Let's say that Houston comes back and says that they must have our #2 pick in the draft.  I would say "fine", you can have our #2 pick in the draft, but that pick equals (2) mid first round picks, so, you can have our #2 pick, Darnold (he equals a high 2nd round pick), plus our 2nd round pick this year and next.  No other 1st round picks, and no Q.

Lets say that Houston comes back and says that we must give them (2) first round picks.  I would say "fine", you can have our #23 pick of this years draft, our higher 1st round pick next year, Darnold (equal to high 2nd round pick), this years 2nd round pick, and next years 2nd round pick.  This way, we keep the #2 pick, we keep Quinnen Williams, who I absolutely would hate to give up in any deal, but he has to be brought up if Houston really wants him.

I think this is fair, and any more than this would make me want to puke.  What do you think?

I think they'd hang up the phone on you and the "negotiation" would be over.

This is a less serious counter-offer than that leaked 6-for-1 demand. Even in Houston's predicament, no one's giving up a 25 year-old HOF QB for

• a young DT former #3 pick with one letdown season and one excellent season so far; if he continues to improve this much, then between the end of this season and the start of the following season, he'll probably will be looking for an extension in excess of $22MM/year;
  • a cheap young QB we don't want (Jets allegedly seeking a top 40 pick means they don't have a concrete offer of one yet); 
  • a 2nd round pick;
  • a future 2nd round pick (value of a mid-3rd round pick).

With the knowledge that the Jets have 4 1st round picks and are surrendering zero of them? I want Watson, too, but with respect you aren't even in the ballpark.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Do you realize what your saying. What you want. the Jet's to do for a QB they draft, is what we should have done when we drafted Darnold. Three years wasted. Through no fault of Darnold's

1 hour ago, Alka said:

So, how do we do that?

JD isn't doing a six for one deal.  

The trick in the negotiation is finding the sweet spot where Houston will accept and where we beat out the next highest bidder.

Start high enough so they know you are serious, be willing to counter and have a predefined final offer where you walk away knowing you offered enough to cripple the winner.

• Upvote 1

This years first can be worth the next QB in the draft or a trade out for multiple picks its a very valuable pick. In a way I would hate to see that go but if that's what Houston wants (and they would be stupid not too) They get one more first next year and that's it. 

So I would offer this years #2 OA and next years Seattle Pick because when they trade Wilson they will probably go in the sh*tter and the Jets will win with Watson so the Seattle pick will be more valuable. 

If Houston wants we can throw in Darnold as well. 

2OA, our first next year and Darnold and I would hold firm. If Houston says no we sell the pick for a boat load of picks and draft some skill players early and Mac Jones and move on. With the amount of picks we have and FA money we can fix the OL add dynamic skill players and field a pretty good defense by adding Hendrickson to play along side Q. This team can get good pretty quick and I think Mac Jones would turn into a pretty good QB given a good supporting cast so many of our young QB's never really had.

45 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

God I just want it to be over. No Watson. Just move on. Houston will call Watson's bluff anyway. I do not was me first malcontent divas on this team.

I have to disagree with you here. Watson is a team player and their franchise player but they traded away arguably the best wide receiver in the league for garbage and have not included him in any decisions regarding the franchise. 

It is getting out of hand. Whether we acquire him or not, we are very important to the Texans’ trade talks. We need to have a deadline in our head and almost give them an ultimatum. Texans will lose even more leverage with us out the picture. 

If Houston likes Tua then Miami can make a deal that we cannot.  If they like Wilson or Fields over Tua then there is also no choice for Houston.  The only thing that remains is how much of a bidding war can they gin up in order to drive up the asking price for Watson?  Honesty I don't think very much.  If they like Tua then game over and if they feel strongly about him the other way then... same thing.

6 for 1 is a firing offense for a GM.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Dude, I get it:  You like Darnold.  I don't.

It's not a question of

like. Darnold wasn't supported the way we all would want a Wilson to be supported. That's just fact.I wanted Mayfield in the draft. After Sanchez, i wanted to avoid another USC QB.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

So, how do we do that?

i dont think 2OA is a guarantee 2 1st rd picks. 

we swapped 1st rds when we move from 6 to 3 to get Darnold. gave up some 2s and a 3 i think. 

i think it depends on where you come from. if its out of the top 10 then yes you get an extra 1. but in the top 8 or lower you dont. its some 2nd rd picks. 

we dont know how Houston feels about Wilson and Fields. they might think there the same. we cant go into talks saying that 2OA is worth 2 number 1s. thats when Houston calls Miami and tells them what we want for 2OA and ask them if they feel the same about 3OA. Miami then says nope, we will treat it as one draft pick. DEAL!!! Watson goes to Miami.

we got to stop thinking like that with this trade. the same with QW.

he had a nice year last year. he only had 7 sacks. 35 other players had more sacks than him. he COULD BE a really good player. he COULD get 15 sacks next year. or 7-8 sacks might be all he is. those guys are a dime a dozen. you can find a 7 sack guy in the later rds.

dont put him in the same category as Jamal Adams. Adams was a much better player. hell Adams had 2.5 more sacks than QW and played one less game. plus Adams had more name recognition. other fan bases knew him. it was an easier sell to trade 2 1st rd picks for him. nobody around the league has heard of QW. and when the fans look at his stats there is no way there going to think hes worth 2 1st rd picks.

and injury wise. at the time of the trade Adams missed 2 games in 3 years with us. QW has missed 10 games in 2 years.  you cant compare the 2. 

and Darnold? you think Houston wants him? there going to draft a QB if we make this trade. plus Darnold has to get paid in a year. if im Houston i rather take the 2nd rd pick.

i think it takes 5 picks. 3 #1s,and 2 #2s or swap out a 2 for a 3 

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

God I just want it to be over. No Watson. Just move on. Houston will call Watson's bluff anyway. I do not was me first malcontent divas on this team.

In no universe is Watson me-first or a malcontent.  This is a deranged take.

• Sympathy 1

As long as Watson is willing to come to the Jets and is willing to play hardball with the Texans, Douglas has to stay in that fight, whether he acknowledges it publicly or not. He has has to play this one out to the end because passing on Watson at this point would be career suicide, more so if he backs away from Watson and the Dolphins swoop in for him. This is career-defining, franchise-changing moment for Douglas. He simply can’t run away because he’s afraid of missing out on a draft pick or two.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As long as Watson is willing to come to the Jets and is willing to play hardball with the Texans, Douglas has to stay in that fight, whether he acknowledges it publicly or not. He has has to play this one out to the end because passing on Watson at this point would be career suicide, more so if he backs away from Watson and the Dolphins swoop in for him. This is career-defining, franchise-changing moment for Douglas. He simply can’t run away because he’s afraid of missing out on a draft pick or two.

Where the hell have you & @Jetsfan80 been all day?! You are my Watson Seal Team 6 warriors. Don’t ever leave me fighting the good fight again! This is a team effort 

200.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1