Jets Tag Maye

Ghost

Nice.  Glad we locked him in for at least 2021.  Hopefully this motivates both sides to get to a long term deal.  I’d think something like 4 yrs. $54M with maybe $28M guaranteed would be fair.  $13.5M per year?  Might seem expensive in Year 1 but a bargain by Year 3 in a situation where the Cap increases significantly post-pandemic?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Good.  Now work out a deal before July 15.  

If he’ll take something around $10-11 million a year, then I can live with it.

If he wants $14+ mill a year then tell him to kick rocks and trade him to some other dipsh*t team who will pay it.

You could probably sign Curtis Samuel and a decent, young veteran RB like Jamaal Williams or Marlon Mack for what you’d end up paying Maye annually.

The dude is a solid safety and reportedly a good locker room guy but he’s also already pushing 30 just as his rookie contact expires and is good for a few outright sh*tty performances every year.

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ha!

Precisely 

$10-11 million a year...sure, re-up him.

But if he has delusions of grandeur and wants to be one of the Top 3 highest paid safeties...then kindly thank him for his services and trade him to add to the allotment of picks we have over the next two years.

Smart cookie, that Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Not many players are 28 years old coming off their rookie deal. Maye likely won't see a second "big contract".  I'm more than happy with a 1 year deal at the tag price and see how he does in the new offense. 

I would hope we are playing him on defense this year. Ya never know though, those crazzzzy Jets. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He turns 28 Tuesday.  Will play two more seasons before turning 30.

You’re talking about saving money to sign Curtis Samuel or a RB.... who do you sign to play Safety?

I’m talking about signing both Samuel and a starting caliber RB for what you would potentially pay Maye each year.

As for replacing him, I don’t know...

Go sign one or even two of the many starting caliber safeties that shake loose literally each and every offseason that can be had for less than $6 million a year.

Hell, go sign both Keanu Neal and Ricardo Allen (if you’re lukewarm on Ashtyn Davis) who both have past experience with Saleh.

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’m talking about signing both Samuel and a starting caliber RB for what you would potentially pay Maye each year.

As for replacing him, I don’t know...

Go sign one or even two of the many starting caliber safeties that shake loose literally each and every offseason that can be had for less than $6 million a year.

Hell, go sign both Keanu Neal and Ricardo Allen (if you’re lukewarm on Ashtyn Davis) who both have past experience with Saleh.

Samuel alone has a chance to get paid more than Maye. How much do you think he’s going to sign for? He’s going to have a stronger market than Robby who got paid $10M per year. I fully expect Samuel to sign for a 4 yr $48M contract.

• Haha 1