How far do you think we could move up if we trade 23 and 34?

Just wondering...

lets say we draft zach at 2. The 34 and 23 together are worth around 9 - 11 range according to the chart.

that would be a real blue chip player. Worth it? Would anybody do it?

ps yes, i know we have a lot of holes to fill but we would have zack plus one of these guys like:

slater, jaycee horn, pitts, chase, who knows....

• Thumb Down 3

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Just wondering...

lets say we draft zach at 2. The 34 and 23 together are worth around 9 - 11 range according to the chart.

ps yes, i know we have a lot of holes to fill but we would have zack plus one of these guys like:

I don't think JD would do it.  He wants more picks, not less.

I'd be intrigued by the idea if the Jets had accomplished more in FA.  If they signed a competent CB1/2 and made a true upgrade to the interior OL with a Thuney, Rodney Hudson or Linsley then I'd be much more open to a trade up into the 9-11 range for a premiere player.  We just still need so much help that I actually think JD is going to trade back from #34 and try to get an additional 3rd rounder.

31 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Just wondering...

I would take Zach and just draft two more starters with the next two picks, in their current spots.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Just wondering...

The latter two might be worth it but they wont be there at 9. 

My preference would be to keep both picks. I would however Trade Sam and #34 for a top 12 pick.  I don't think it would happen though. So I'm rolling with:

QB#2

OL/DE/CB#23 (or trade back to late 1st)

OL/DE/CB #34

Need 1 premium OL at 23 or 34 ( I like both Jenkins and Mayfield). I'd grab a second OL in the middle rounds. Like Menet the Center from Penn State.

• Upvote 1

If we had being more aggressive in free agency, then maybe but right now we need all the draft capital we can get. 

Using Darnold as part of a deal makes more sense, but we're running out of likely trade partners. 34+Darnold for 19 with Washington would be a nice move, but they have moved on. Maybe 23+Darnold for 12 with SF is doable. I doubt Denver would be interested in 9 for 23+Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Viermoo said:

The only trade down I might consider is going from 2 to 3. Miami needs Sewell and so does Cincy. We might be able to get their 2nd rounder out of that deal.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Wouldn't trust Miami or Cincinnati to then flip number 2 with a team who wants to jump up and take Wilson. Not worth losing your guy for the sake of a second rounder. 

I wouldn't deal with Miami in any scenario that has the potential to make them stronger. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't think JD would do it.  He wants more picks, not less.

Nailed it.

If Sewell, or one of the three elite WR prospects, or maybe even Pitts fell to ~10th, and we had a willing partner, I could see it being worthwhile, although I'd rather trade the Seattle #1 pick than any 2021 picks tbqh.

But there is no chance, zero, that JD would do it.  I fully expect more of his "trade down, draft more Zuniga, Perine, Morgan, Clark type moves than any kind of trade-up.

I'll keep saying it, some of JD's picks beyond the first round better start playing and producing soon.  So far he's no better than our previous GM's. 

• Upvote 3

The trade that interests me the most would be packaging Darnold and 23 and moving up into the top 12. Before FA I would have assumed that'd be for a WR - but with the Davis and Cole signings I don't view that as a major need. There are two positions of need right now for the Jets (beyond QB which I will assume is addressed at 2) - CB and OL. I wouldn't move up to get a CB. I think guys like Jaycee Horn or Greg Newsome are comparable to Surtain & Farley. I think they have a decent chance at getting one at 23. 

On the OL front though I could see them trading up to get Slater or Vera-Tucker. Both could play guard as a rookie and have the ability to be a long term tackle replacement for Fant in a year or two. I would make that trade all day. 

Trading up with SF to 12 would place Darnold at a value of pick 36 - which seems about right. 

Trading up to 8 or 9 would place Darnold at a value of a late first rounder - I think thats pretty high so you may have to throw in Seattle's third or something and I'd be wary of that. 

One wildcard would be if Pitts falls to 8 or 9. If that happens it'd be really interesting to see if Douglas would pull the trigger and give up an extra pick to move up to get a dynamic player that is arguably the best prospect in the draft after TL at a position that isnt a premium and may not be viewed as a major need. Doing so would mean we have less ammo to address CB and IOL both in the first round, and in round 3 - but maybe they view Pitts as being worth it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

JD is going to trade back from #34 and try to get an additional 3rd rounder.

This. JD won't be able to resist auctioning off this pick for an additional 3rd selection and maybe more. I expect him to be very active with several moves both up and down.

If someone drops close to our #23 pick that JD really wants, I could see packaging the SEA 3rd rounder with #23 perhaps.  Maybe that gets us to #17 or #19.  

I couldn't say who might entice Douglas to do that, but maybe Vera-Tucker or even Slater if one of them slipped past 15 starts to get him on the phones.  I could see some excitement for Waddle as well.  But those are probably the only two positions where I think it makes sense from a need/value perspective (I'm assuming Pitts is LONG gone by 15).

But I don't believe it's in the Jets' best interests to burn #34 to move up for any player when that pick will have a good chance to net us a starting CB if we don't take one earlier.

4 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

My preference would be to keep both picks. I would however Trade Sam and #34 for a top 12 pick.  I don't think it would happen though. So I'm rolling with:

QB#2

OL/DE/CB#23 (or trade back to late 1st)

OL/DE/CB #34

Need 1 premium OL at 23 or 34 ( I like both Jenkins and Mayfield). I'd grab a second OL in the middle rounds. Like Menet the Center from Penn State.

Premium ol don't go 23 and 34

Decent Starters are there. The premium players go top 10

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Not sure how PFN's mock draft simulator let me get away with highway robbery but trade down scenarios are a TON of fun and sometimes guys (unrealistically) fall to you...

1505703898_ScreenShot2021-03-20at9_04_40PM.png.8da0ca3b37b91bde708c7e3fe6d54645.png

I know that these are done tongue-in-cheek, but I would not be mad at a scenario like this if JD could pull off the draft of the century. We have so many holes to fill that this might be the correct approach, unless Zach Wilson is truly the guy. In that case, you take the QB. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Premium ol don't go 23 and 34

Decent Starters are there. The premium players go top 10

Projected premium players go early, but you can find pro-bowl caliber OL in the late first round, second round, and even the third. Orlando Brown was drafted in round three. Michael Onwenu went at pick 182 in the sixth round and he turned out to be an absolute steal. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

If the Jets don't take an offensive linemen in the first or 2nd round this year, Joe Douglas should be forced to play offensive line next year.

LOL.  I think Joe Douglas would not be smiling too much if that were the case.  

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Projected premium players go early, but you can find pro-bowl caliber OL in the late first round, second round, and even the third. Orlando Brown was drafted in round three. Michael Onwenu went at pick 182 in the sixth round and he turned out to be an absolute steal. 

Absolutely.

The greatest OG of all time was a mid-2nd round pick.

Even all but one of the top current IOL out there were drafted outside the top 10.

Zack Martin - pick #16

David Decastro - pick #24

Joe Thuney - pick #78

In fact, the last OGs drafted in the top-10 before Nelson were Cooper and Warmack back in 2013.  And both effectively busted.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Yeah and Tom Brady went 199

The exception doesn't disprove the rule 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Absolutely.

The greatest OG of all time was a mid-2nd round pick.

Even all but one of the top current IOL out there were drafted outside the top 10.

Zack Martin - pick #16

David Decastro - pick #24

Joe Thuney - pick #78

In fact, the last OGs drafted in the top-10 before Nelson were Cooper and Warmack back in 2013.  And both effectively busted.

I said premium players 

Not guards /s

By the way the best guard in nfl history went 6 in the Sam Darnold draft