How safe is Jamison Crowder?

NYJ1

16 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He's as safe as Osama bin Laden in 2011

JD isn't going to pay Crowder $11M and will pressure him before training camp to take a paycut or risk getting cut.

The Jets have a capable WR2-3 in Crowder on the roster.  He is just expensive,  but that is why veterans get contracts like that. 

At G and CB, they don’t even have that, but at G they do have a less capable, less expensive but still expensive version of that in Lewis.

So going into the  draft, if JD can draft someone to replace Crowder, I think he does it.  He could have signed juju but did not, but maybe juju was not coming here anyway.  

If I were JD, I would keep Crowder and fill the OL/CB.  But if he likes a WR at 23/34, which is not unlikely, he can take another one and save the money on Crowder. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Any decent GM would keep him. It would give his rookie QB proven quality in the slot and would show the roster that players who perform will be rewarded and looked after.

So yeah, of course he’s getting cut.

yes; it's a bad look if he's cut, but the locker room would understand a trade (I think).

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am not super eager to dump good players just for extra cap space when our cap situation is fine both this year and in the future.

I agree. I also really dislike the idea of constantly switching up Sammy's receivers so he has to build chemistry from scratch every year. Unfortunately though, this seems to be the way of business.....

7 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I get the feeling Keelan Cole was signed as a less expensive slot receiver. Any chance Crowder gets cut now?

There's ALWAYS a chance he could get cut but I sure hope not. He's a warrior and I really like what he's done as our slot receiver. Seems to have decent chemistry with Sam as well. 

9 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I get the feeling Keelan Cole was signed as a less expensive slot receiver. Any chance Crowder gets cut now?

I think we intend to keep him until after the draft.  If we take a receiver high, then he is in jeopardy.  If I were Douglas, I would be looking at a receiver with our first three picks.

Otherwise the only way he is cut is if he beaten out in training camp by a late round pick.

He is an above average slot receiver.  If we cut him with tread on his tire, then agents will take note since they get a percentage of the player's pay and have skin in the game.  All things being equal, it is good practice to avoid cutting useful veterans simply to save money.  If we have somebody better, well, that is another story.  Same if somebody is just as good and cheaper.

Right now, Crowder is the 3d or 4th best receiver on the team - depending on your view of Cole - even if he is limited to the slot.

he stays.

with the 2 FA signing we now have 4 decent or average WRs.

cut him and we got 3.

then thats another hole to fill in the draft. the WRs are set whether you like them or not. there will not be any drafted at all i think. too many holes at CB,LB,OL,TE,RB that JD did not fill in FA. 

16 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

What is with this forums obsession with wanting to get rid of any player with talent because they  *gasp* get paid because they have talent.

Wth are you talking about? Nobody is actively lobbying Crowder get cut. I'm just speculating about what JD may decide to do.

On 3/27/2021 at 7:09 AM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He's as safe as Osama bin Laden in 2011

JD isn't going to pay Crowder $11M and will pressure him before training camp to take a paycut or risk getting cut.

This could be the strategy.  It's also important to note that JD doesn't mind paying a bit upfront in years he has sizable Cap room and likes putting guys on 1-year deals.... which is essentially what Crowder is on right now.  The market rate might be more like $8M for Crowder rather than the $11M he's making, but let's see what happens.  The Draft could tell us a lot but I for one am not a fan of subtracting experienced, talented WRs from a team whose roster has struggled at that position for years.

Whether this team is drafting a rookie QB or rolling Darnold out there for another year, the risk of another unfortunate turn of events at WR concerns me.  Watching Darnold throw to Chris Hogan, Braxton Berrios and Chris Hogan when guys like Perriman, Mims and Crowder were out for significant stretches was horrible.

What Corey Davis gets hurt for a few weeks and Mims comes along slowly?  Who is our QB throwing to?