Cecil Lammey "League sources tell me #Jets turned down #49ers first-round pick for Sam Darnold earlier this offseason."

Jetsbb

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Guy who has close to 50,000 followers and is a member of the PFWA who says multiple league sources told him something? No I won't automatically think he is outright lying like some you all seem to be doing. There is a greater chance he is telling the truth than outright lying.

If his 50k followers make him credible then I assume you think Craig carton and his 137k followers is the sports radio equivalent of Walter Cronkite.

• Haha 3

Abbott and Costello, who's on first and what's on second.... 

In-decision, uninformed, poor decision.  They didn't know what they had nor did they know what they were getting. Result is they gave away the farm for a pony that hasn't even ran yet. Good luck. I have a bad feeling about the outcome of their decision. Sam will blossom, and Zach, well let's see how he does after getting hit and unhappy fans.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Wait, so JD thinks Zach Wilson’s shoulder will be good to go in the nfl based on him throwing in shorts and a t-shirt indoors?!??

Well, according to JD his 'golden rule' is that you can't pick a QB until you stand next to him on the field and watch the ball come out of his hands. Unsaid is what the eff about the QB's game film?

JD rates a guy running around in shorts playing catch with his friends higher than actual game film???

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Guy who has close to 50,000 followers and is a member of the PFWA who says multiple league sources told him something? No I won't automatically think he is outright lying like some you all seem to be doing. There is a greater chance he is telling the truth than outright lying.

A whole 50k followers... well then sh*t, I guess the world is flat because thats what Kyrie Irving told me on twitter. That puts a whole different perspective on things.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

JD's own words, his 'golden rule' is that you don't take a QB until you stand next to him and watch the ball come out of his hands.

Also in JD's own words he wasn't ready to consider a "strong offer" for Darnold until he checked the in person pro day session and physical. Never mind the trade was completed before Wilson's physical.

The report of a 1st sounds like BS but a second THIS year was on the table when Darnold's trade value was at the highest and JD decided to wait and watch Wilson run around in shorts playing catch with his friends and just forget about actual game film.

So, JD gets a 2nd NEXT year, forget about the 6th this year and the 4th next year. JD absolutely blew Darnolds trade value.

Maybe, maybe not.

But what this tells me is how much the Jets don’t like Justin Fields. If they liked two guys (other than Lawrence), they would’ve made the move earlier. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Wait, so JD thinks Zach Wilson’s shoulder will be good to go in the nfl based on him throwing in shorts and a t-shirt indoors?!??

No, its because he actually watched tape of him throwing darts for two seasons post procedure.'

Try it 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

He didnt say multiple league sources.  

The greatest chance is someone heard wrong, or is pulling his....leg

Every brain fart by someone with a twitter account doesnt require a thread

I read elsewhere that if there is any truth to it, it was a 23 to 12 trade up with perhaps other picks involved as well.  But 23 to 12 is the equiv of a mid 2nd I think.  Much better than what Douglas got.  Eons better.  But the truth of the entire thing is in doubt.  And there may have been other picks from the Jets to go along with 23.  There is nothing to trust or see here

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Based on what? Unless this guy has a Schefter type record in breaking stories, there is no point in doing anything other than reading this and  laughing. Where JD is questionable is when it comes to drafting but he has been pretty spot on when it comes to decisions on his own players. I think if the 9ers offered first round pick for Sam, JD would move the earth to lock that up. Head not have been sure about Zach but he was sure he was going to draft a QB. Zach was far from the only option. 

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I know Cecil irl he's a good dude that loves football. He's got a the same sources that other reporters use. He's not a liar or a Manish 

Look he can be right and wrong at the same time... Cecil was told that the 49ers offered up their first rounder... which @football guykinda outlined. But it was definitely not just for the 12th pick OA... it was most likely some package where the Jets trade up from 23 including Darnold to get to 12. 

Who knows what the exact package was but in no way was #12 OA offered straight up for Darnold as @Jetsbbthinks... 

• Upvote 2

Doing my daily coffee/poop combo at 9am cause it's the best part of my day + I'm getting paid for it.

I guess this story must be true. Dudes verified on Twitter as "Digital Talent for DenverFan.com" this story on its face is stupid and I'm banned on Twitter anyway, but the real injustice here is not the made up pick we didn't take. It's that Max hasn't gotten us all blue check marks for being digital talent. We should be getting this level of respect as JetNation digital talent when we vomit out stuff we make up entirely

37 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Look he can be right and wrong at the same time... Cecil was told that the 49ers offered up their first rounder... which @football guykinda outlined. But it was definitely not just for the 12th pick OA... it was most likely some package where the Jets trade up from 23 including Darnold to get to 12. 

Who knows what the exact package was but in no way was #12 OA offered straight up for Darnold as @Jetsbbthinks... 

I really do not think 12 was officially offered. I bet they toyed with the idea, but I have a hard time believing Douglas wouldn't have negotiated if they officially offered 12, even if it was in a pick swap... "all talk, no show"... if they offered 12 for 23, I think Douglas would've counter offered rather than not negotiating. As much as they loved Darnold, their evaluation method was always about figuring out QB Darnold + value of #2 vs. QB #2 + value of Darnold... once it became clear that no godfather offer for #2 was going to happen, they debated QB Darnold + QB #2 but as Douglas admitted, they didn't feel it was the best situation for any parties involved... however, if Douglas was offered #12, I think they would've taken it and figured out which QB they liked best on the fly... that's too much value to pass up for a flawed QB on the final year of his rookie deal. 

The 49ers also had these kind of loose discussions about #2, but Douglas wouldn't engage. And to add a layer to that, it's not like the 49ers came away feeling like Darnold wouldn't become available, it was more not wanting to wait. 

I know they offered #43 and something else, but Joe said they weren't ready to engage in trade negotiations for Darnold and for #2. When they traded for #3 on BYU's pro-day it caught them by surprise

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I really do not think 12 was officially offered. I bet they toyed with the idea, but I have a hard time believing Douglas wouldn't have negotiated if they officially offered 12, even if it was in a pick swap... "all talk, no show"... if they offered 12 for 23, I think Douglas would've counter offered rather than not negotiating. They also had these kind of loose discussions about #2, but Douglas wouldn't engage. And to add a layer to that, it's not like the 49ers came away feeling like Darnold wouldn't become available, it was more not wanting to wait. 

I know they offered #43 and something else, but Joe said they weren't ready to engage in trade negotiations for Darnold and for #2. When they traded for #3 on BYU's pro-day it caught them by surprise

Well, that's not good

not sure if it is true or not but we do know joe d passed on trading the first pick for a big haul which I fully believe is a big mistake-he had a chance to pair sam with probably two stud first rounders on offense and then go back for more ...

It is possible Sam is just not going to be a very good qb but I would have given him a shot with actual weapons and an actual coach-worst case he bombed out and you grab a qb next year.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He didn't say a league source he said league sources.  Multiple is just a redundant add on to emphasis the point. 

17 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Yes. Plan B is Justin Fields and plan C is Trey Lance

this is not true for many reasons. the jets clearly saw darnold (and a trade down) as the default if they couldnt come up with something that was much much better in their eyes...which based on the fact that they passed on 2 1's i guess they think they did.

Just now, jetspenguin said:

Hahaha he turned down the #12 pick for a guy he was thinking about getting rid of?

Ok thats some shyt the panthers put out to make themselves not look so bad for trading for Sammy boy.

Sent from the NY Jets Draft Suicide Watch desk.

The worst part is that we have members of this forum who are gullible enough to believe this story from a random sports radio guy in Denver. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

He didn't say a league source he said league sources.  Multiple is just a redundant add on to emphasis the point. 

Theres too much in what he doesnt say.  Whats a league source?  Who the hell is leaking this kind of info with any accuracy?  You think a Jets source is leaking the idea that they turned down a 1?  The 49r's want everyone to know that they really wanted Wilson?  

No one knows what was said other than JD and Lynch.  They arent sources 

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

I read elsewhere that if there is any truth to it, it was a 23 to 12 trade up with perhaps other picks involved as well.  But 23 to 12 is the equiv of a mid 2nd I think.  Much better than what Douglas got.  Eons better.  But the truth of the entire thing is in doubt.  And there may have been other picks from the Jets to go along with 23.  There is nothing to trust or see here

It's really not much worse at all. Would I've preferred to have the #12 (minus #23) this year? Or the #43 straight up? Yes, absolutely. But a second and fourth next year is nothing to sneeze at even if a sixth round comp pick is. At worst, he went from a mid-second value to a high third. 

59 minutes ago, kmnj said:

not sure if it is true or not but we do know joe d passed on trading the first pick for a big haul which I fully believe is a big mistake-he had a chance to pair sam with probably two stud first rounders on offense and then go back for more ...

It is possible Sam is just not going to be a very good qb but I would have given him a shot with actual weapons and an actual coach-worst case he bombed out and you grab a qb next year.  

How, exactly, do we know this? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

It's really not much worse at all. Would I've preferred to have the #12 (minus #23) this year? Or the #43 straight up? Yes, absolutely. But a second and fourth next year is nothing to sneeze at even is a sixth round comp pick is. At worst, he went from a mid-second value to a high third. 

u dont think the niners called the jets first ? they wanted to get behind a team needing a qb? 

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

8 minutes ago, slats said:

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

u dont think the niners called the jets first ? they wanted to get behind a team needing a qb? 

So you went from 'think' to 'know' faster than Crusher moving to the front of the buffet line (before COVID of course).  

If you're going to do that, don't be surprised when you get called out.

5 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I believe that they were taken off guard when the 49ers traded up to #3. I don't believe they made any real offer to the Jets other than sniffing around a little bit. I also don't know JD would've agreed to that trade, which basically hurt the Dolphins draft position this year to move down from #3 to #12 because they didn't get any other picks in this year's draft. I think the '9ers would've had to throw in their second rounder this year as well to make it work. That's also a team they probably expect to be drafting late the next couple years. 

But basically you're telling me, in fact, that we don't know anything and you're just speculating. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

But basically you're telling me, in fact, that we don't know anything and you're just speculating. 

I continue to be mystified with the plethora of posters here who claim to know what JD is thinking or wants.

I gotta get patched into these guys sauces.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I believe that they were taken off guard when the 49ers traded up to #3. I don't believe they made any real offer to the Jets other than sniffing around a little bit. I also don't know JD would've agreed to that trade, which basically hurt the Dolphins draft position this year to move down from #3 to #12 because they didn't get any other picks in this year's draft. I think the '9ers would've had to throw in their second rounder this year as well to make it work. That's also a team they probably expect to be drafting late the next couple years. 

so u are  going to tell me that the gm of the 9ers wanted to trade up for a qb and didnt reach out to the jets  but went straight to pick three ? that would basically be total incompetence on the niners gm - it is not feasible that Joe was not contacted-

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1