KRL Camp Notes (7/31/21)

KRL

@KRL as always just excellent reporting !!

Besides everything you pointing being just terrific----

I noted the offensive movement you pointed out and overall how this coaching staff's attention to detail is truly impressive---- as two things that jumped out at me so far.

Thank you again!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, KRL said:

Good to be back, let's get started with initial impressions.  We'll see if
these hold true with the two other practices I'll be attending:

I was starting to get nervous… I was going to reach out to you to see if you made it today. Great updates as always.

34 minutes ago, KRL said:

Good to be back, let's get started with initial impressions.  We'll see if
these hold true with the two other practices I'll be attending:

General Notes

- Props to the staff for the smooth movement of 1000+ fans to the practice
facility

- Practice ran 2 hours and 40 minutes

- Shockingly players were in jerseys & shorts (not even shells).  Usually by
day four pads are worn

- With no pads there were no 1 on 1 periods to really break down players movement
skills

- For the most part it was a 50/50 practice with each side of the ball "flashing"
during certain periods

New Staff Notes

- Practice has three portions now a 24 minute individual warmup period where players
work with their position coaches.  A 15 minute offense/defense installation period
and then the formal practice begins.  During the calisthenics period the performance
staff added ball skills, where the players had to catch the ball while exercising

- As mentioned before only jerseys & shorts on a day that full pads usually come on

- During the 15 minute installation period the defense really emphasized the 
coordination of LB's & DB's in their coverage responsibilities.  At various points
Jeff Ulbrich (DC) would pull a LB, CB and S and send a route combination at them
to see if they knew what they were doing

- The DLine staff has brought in a blocking sled that is MUCH lower to the ground than
normal.  Forcing the DLinemen to get low in their stances and to get underneath OLinemen.
Because as the saying goes in line play "the low man wins"

- I don't know if this is what Mike Lafleur (OC) normally does but in the initial 11 on
11 periods he really emphasizes the running game.  Then later on he opened up the pass
game

Player Notes

- The players auditioning for PR are Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios, Michael Carter and
Keelan Cole

- Carl Lawson is going to be a problem.  Relentless pursuit in rushing the passer, excellent
get off and a wide variety of moves and hand actions.  It was a pleasure watching him go
against Mekhi Becton, they should really push each other to be better

- The DLine as a whole has much more freedom in getting up the field.  To the point where
Sheldon Rankins pulled a "Dwight Freeney spin move" from his DT position to rush the passer.
Quinnen Williams will be scary in this scheme when he comes back.  But that comes with a
price because with the emphasis on attacking upfield they got "gashed" a couple of times on
cut backs

- Nice to finally see a creative run scheme straight out of the "Shanahan book".  Tons of
motions to influence the defense and out of the same formation multiple plays can be run
for multiple players.  Michael Carter and Tevin Coleman stood out, showing the ability to
read the play and determining when/if it was time to cut back

- The OLine was effective in run blocking but they'll need to stiffen up in pass blocking.
At assorted times the DLine really pushed the pocket causing QB's to throw on the run.
Nice holes opened on the left side by Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker 

- Solid coverage for the most part by the back seven as they seemed to work on matchup
zones.  Covering receivers to a certain point and then passing them off to another player.
They were solid in their assignments to the point were the QB's had to hold the ball for
what would be a "sack".  An impressive, acrobatic INT by Jason Pinnock (from his back) off
of Mike White as he returned it for a TD (30+ yards)

QB Notes  

- They seemed to be "over repping" Zach Wilson to get him up to speed from the two days he 
missed.  And the talents you see on his tape and from his BYU Pro Day were on display.  The
play of the day was his 80 yard TD (50 yards in the air) to Elijah Moore.  Wilson got pressure
from his right side, shifted to the left side of the pocket and "flicked" the ball to Moore
in stride 50 yards down the right side of the field.  In addition you saw Wilson's ability
to create when things broke down and throw with accuracy and velocity even when his feet
aren't on the ground.  It would be nice to finally not be teased by a young QB, we'll see

- Surprising performance by James Morgan, he's big and not overly mobile so you wouldn't think he
would fit in this offense.  But he did a good job moving within the pocket and showed a strong
and accurate arm.  His two best throws were a 20+ yard seam strike to Tyler Kroft and a 40+ yard
TD to DJ Montgomery

Standouts

- Zach Wilson
- Carl Lawson
- Elijah Moore
- Michael Carter
- Jason Pinnock

Concerns

- DLine run defense on cut backs
- OLine need to tighten up the pocket for the QB's 

Thank you LOVE your reports!!!!

is it true Gase was spotted selling Kool aid and in the entrance area??? ?‍♂️?

Sounds like the LBs need to really stay in their lanes and be more disciplined if the DL is going to sell out that often once games start up

As always thanks for the clear, concise right up.  Greatly appreciated

Oh and not only is Belichick a scumbag, add Gase to the list for wasting 2 years and a few careers

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, KRL said:

Carl Lawson is going to be a problem.  Relentless pursuit in rushing the passer, excellent
get off and a wide variety of moves and hand actions.  It was a pleasure watching him go
against Mekhi Becton, they should really push each other to be better

So we heard varying reports on Becton vs. Lawson. It looks as if Becton got taken to school for the 2nd straight day. Would you agree?

They need to be in pads next practice.

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Disagree with that view it makes Becton sound like he's a turnstile, he's not.

For the first time since John Abraham we have a legit edge rusher and in my

opinion people don't know how to react to it.  So they want to dump on Becton

and not just give Lawson credit for the skills that he has.  They challenge each other

on every rep

Best view of that yet. Thanks 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

Disagree with that view it makes Becton sound like he's a turnstile, he's not.

For the first time since John Abraham we have a legit edge rusher and in my

opinion people don't know how to react to it.  So they want to dump on Becton

and not just give Lawson credit for the skills that he has.  They challenge each other

on every rep

Conversely if Lawson couldn’t beat Becton some would be complaining that he’s a wasted signing. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I wonder how Bien Aime the dolphan described the bomb to Moore? Wilson stumbles and throws up a wounded duck that Moore lucks out on. Nearly picked off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would usually agree, as he was a bit sour overall, but his review of practice today was sparkling. Good vibes.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Concerns

- DLine run defense on cut backs
- OLine need to tighten up the pocket for the QB's 

I’m thinking this is where they learn from each other in training camp. Looking forward to the pads being on. 

• Upvote 1

@KRL Always a good read dude and it's been for years. I'm always interested in the coaches and their how to, and the makings of it all. It's not just about who flashed. These guys are all great athletes, but a lot of it has to do with what goes in on the sidelines and what the plans are. I really like your takes .

On a lighter note, watching camp coverage on NFL Network, Andrew Siciliano and his giant ears made a comment about how big Becton was and how did they find a jersey big enough to fit that guy!? He said he'd like to come to New York so he could stand next to him and get some shade lol! Willie McGinnist throwing in his two cents just said GOOLLYY. It was pretty damn funny.

In order to understand how big becton actually is, it reminds me of being a kid and going to the coliseum to see wrestling. I saw Andre I saw Jesse Ventura, King Kong Bundy and I saw hulk Hogan from about 6 ft away. My dude never missed leg day let's put it that way. He was so damn big that was like standing next to a horse or a buffalo or something LOL.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

- I don't know if this is what Mike Lafleur (OC) normally does but in the initial 11 on
11 periods he really emphasizes the running game.  Then later on he opened up the pass
game

Thanks for the review. Great as always.

Above is what the Shanny O is predicated of. Takes pressure off the QB, while providing big passing game play opportunities.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I wonder how Bien Aime the dolphan described the bomb to Moore? Wilson stumbles and throws up a wounded duck that Moore lucks out on. Nearly picked off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“It was an errand pass but Moore made a nice adjustment. Bean/kizzy.”

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Soon Moore is going to be the story of this offense.  Zach is going to be great but Moore has Tyreek Hill written all over him.

Don’t think he has the same straight line speed, only seeing him on tape, but the change of direction and acceleration seem to be in the ballpark 

Soon Moore is going to be the story of this offense.  Zach is going to be great but Moore has Tyreek Hill written all over him.
I'm just beside myself waiting to see this kid light it up. He has done nothing but shine EVERY practice

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 3