Game Observations (NYG)

KRL

3 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

It’s not about Wilson making chunk plays, it was his first preseason game. The staff is getting the kid ready for the NFL, he is going to be brought along slowly until he gets more comfortable with the speed of the game. He didn’t look overwhelmed and as @KRL said he didn’t look like your typical rookie on his first showing. Nice poise and ball placement, yes there were a few hiccups but nothing overly alarming. 

The staff can make any rookie look like they're not overwhelmed if they don't ask them to do anything against mostly backups.  That's really not impressive.  I thought he was okay.  The rollout under pressure looked really ugly.  The managed throws looked like a QB making managed throws. 

Management made a decision to go with him as the starter.  The kid needs to take a shot and give a shot so the Defenses know he can hurt them.  Babying him isn't going to do that.  The Jets want to run the ball and push it down the field with the pass.  They should do it in pre-season.  Teams are going to load the box until he makes them pay.  Might as well get used to it.  

• Thumb Down 3

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

My “Its Only Preseason But Let Me Be Excited” Thoughts:

• I love this defensive scheme

- DL don’t think just attack. 

- Safety/MLB hybrid is a great gimmick, love seeing D flying around back there. So used to us have a big, slow, sluggish Mid D.

- Lack of Secondary experience will hopefully be masked by zone scheme design.

• I love this offensive scheme

- longed for the days of a zone blocking Shanny offense forever and it will be exciting to (hopefully) see big gash runs, controlling the clock, and opening up the passing game.

- Glorious to see WR routes that went PAST the 1st down marker. Almost seemed like a NYJ HC hiring prerequisite to install offenses that ran routes behind them.

- Wilson looked comfortable and accurate. Most we could hope for during a first preseason game.

• More of the same with special teams

- There’s a reason coach Boyer has lasted for 3 regimes, he’s a good coach and our units generally are well prepared.

- The kicking game is a joke still and needs to get sorted out quickly. With a young offense, we’ll need every point on the board we can get.

Yea .Guys like Corey Davis are a QB's best friend. They know how to run routes, and are always in the right spot. Our last QB, especially last year was hesitant to get rid of the ball because he wasn't sure about the receivers being in the right spot. Wilson doesnt have to worry about that with Davis and Cole. 

41 minutes ago, KRL said:

He had a "layup" unblocked sack, it counts but he was ushered
to the QB with no resistance.  Hard to get excited about that

One very good thing about Hamilcar's (sp?) sack is that he didn't come in and 1) go helmet to helmet, 2) smash the QB as hard as he could and get a PF called 3) come in too fast and too high and whiff when the QB ducks under his arms. He went in on him and made a solid wrap up tackle. 

To me, I'll bet this was the result of good coaching. Hit the QB properly, and don't let any of the new breed of mobile QB you will be playing spin out and extend the play. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, KRL said:

He had a "layup" unblocked sack, it counts but he was ushered
to the QB with no resistance.  Hard to get excited about that

He also was involved in the safety. Granted he was unblocked on the sack but he stayed under control and got the sack. We have seen many times a roughing the passer there or qb ducks underneath or spins away to avoid the sack.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Aldrick Rosas

Did anyone happen to see the Giants backup kicker last night, Ryan Santoso? My son played HS football with him, big SOB. Google him. Coach Lindsay(Emmitt Smiths RB coach in HS) would send him out for the coin toss to intimate the other team, coaches, and parents. We would love to see the other moms gasp as their sons took the field, until they found out he was a kicker,

Great kid, great family. All of us here in Pensacola are hoping he makes a team.

I hope it’s the Jets!!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We drafted Zach for his ability to make chunk plays off platform to go along with our zone blocking run game.  I felt he was over managed in a game that meant nothing.  He looked okay but in reality he was managed and his roll out and attempt under pressure was pretty ugly.

It was his first action and he played well but theyre bringing him along and trying to develop him.  If you thought they would be throwing bombs all game thats on you.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The staff can make any rookie look like they're not overwhelmed if they don't ask them to do anything against mostly backups.  That's really not impressive.  I thought he was okay.  The rollout under pressure looked really ugly.  The managed throws looked like a QB making managed throws. 

Management made a decision to go with him as the starter.  The kid needs to take a shot and give a shot so the Defenses know he can hurt them.  Babying him isn't going to do that.  The Jets want to run the ball and push it down the field with the pass.  They should do it in pre-season.  Teams are going to load the box until he makes them pay.  Might as well get used to it.  

Just curious, what about the rollout made it look "really ugly"?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It was his first time playing in an  NFL preseason game. The more comfortable he gets the more things will open up for him. I am sure our CS is aware that he will need to be throwing downfield, and that will come. It’s the first preseason game he should be managed to a degree. I would not want our CS having him trying to sling it downfield with out regards to his development. The downfield plays will come. I’m my opinion just let the kid settle in gain some more chemistry with his wideouts, get a feel for his o-line in real time, and get to see how it feels to play agains different defensive schemes. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

My “Its Only Preseason But Let Me Be Excited” Thoughts:

• I love this defensive scheme

- DL don’t think just attack. 

- Safety/MLB hybrid is a great gimmick, love seeing D flying around back there. So used to us have a big, slow, sluggish Mid D.

- Lack of Secondary experience will hopefully be masked by zone scheme design.

• I love this offensive scheme

- longed for the days of a zone blocking Shanny offense forever and it will be exciting to (hopefully) see big gash runs, controlling the clock, and opening up the passing game.

- Glorious to see WR routes that went PAST the 1st down marker. Almost seemed like a NYJ HC hiring prerequisite to install offenses that ran routes behind them.

- Wilson looked comfortable and accurate. Most we could hope for during a first preseason game.

• More of the same with special teams

- There’s a reason coach Boyer has lasted for 3 regimes, he’s a good coach and our units generally are well prepared.

- The kicking game is a joke still and needs to get sorted out quickly. With a young offense, we’ll need every point on the board we can get.

Get job as usual.

Left out Popa and Banks being the absolute worst announcers in the game and their homerism is almost funny.  Jets didnt make any plays to listen to them, the Giants screwed up and gave it away ?

Also you left out Amandola is our other K.  His kicked the extra point and he would have made it from 50 and his following KO went out of the EZ.  Lets wait for him.  I hope.  Also Mann was excellent in the P game

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

JFC it’s his first preseason quarter. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, C Mart said:

21 minutes ago, C Mart said:

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I look at this as a good thing . Don’t you want to put him in a position to succeed rather that throw him to the wolves like they did with Sam and ruin him ?

27 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Q, Mosley and Maye give us a really good + player at each level of the defense. Mosley was my biggest takeaway from last night. Dude looked better than ever. 

Loved his interview with Bruce Beck, especially when he talked about the circle of him having mentors that taught him how to be a pro and now it's his turn with all the young guys. Good stuff, and sounds like a guy who is 100% invested in this team and coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CT Jets said:

I look at this as a good thing . Don’t you want to put him in a position to succeed rather that throw him to the wolves like they did with Sam and ruin him ?

It was the first preseason game. I’m perfectly fine with managed throws, designed quick passes, etc. Baby steps. Let’s see if it evolves a little bit more in the second game.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It was the first preseason game. I’m perfectly fine with managed throws, designed quick passes, etc. Baby steps. Let’s see if it evolves a little bit more in the second game.

Also will be good to see him against a talented GB secondary and defensive front.  You get to face two legit passrushers in the Smith's and Alexander is one of the top CBs in the game.  Good test for the team overall. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

It was his first action and he played well but theyre bringing him along and trying to develop him.  If you thought they would be throwing bombs all game thats on you.  

If you think he was great that's on you.  See how that works.  He had 6 completions that were ordinary throws.  He rolled out on his one pressure and put the ball where only 2 Giant defenders had a play on the ball. 

He did nothing to be excited about. 

The fact that he didn't suck didn't make me feel like I just had sex with Miss Universe.  I expect the No. 2 pick in the NFL to make ordinary throws against a vanilla D in a pre-season game against mostly second stringers.  

I was dissapointed that they didn't let him make a couple fo real throws.  This team isn't good enough for Mark Sanchez to manage it to 9 wins.  

This is our day 1 starting QB.  

• Thumb Down 2