Jets - Packers Joint Practice Updates 8/18

Lith

56 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If you believe that what he did in college has no bearing on what he did here and what he will be continued to asked to do, when he was very up in down in pass protection in college, and that the scheme he played in is exactly what he’s playing in now, then there’s no further conversation to be had here.

Ok. I was going to walk away from this thread until I noticed this quote/post above. 

Very up and down in pass protection @ college?

(Written in 2019). 

"Louisville left tackle Mekhi Becton has brought home some hardware early in college football award season. Becton, was named the winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy. The award has been awarded to the ACC's most outstanding blocker since 1953 an is voted on by league's head coaches and defensive coordinators. 

The Louisville offense took a strong step forward behind Becton's talent and leadership. Heading into the Kentucky game, Saturday, Becton had not allowed a single sack in 628 snaps this season.

He also had 60 total knockdowns in 10 games and graded above 80% in nine of those 10 games. He recorded a season-high seven knockdown blocks and had a 90% grade against Syracuse, just two weeks ago.

Over the course of his career, he allowed just four sacks in 2,300 snaps".

So 4 sacks throughout 2,300 NCAA career snaps with 0 holding penalties is what you consider "very up and down in pass protection"? 

I love you as a Jets fan man you're 100% passionate and I'll always look forward to your posts and I take 99.9% of your posts seriously but your Becton posts while claiming Becton was up and down in pass protection when he was the best pass protector in all of NCAA Football (only 4 sacks allowed and 0 holding penalties committed despite 2,300 snaps) is letting me know that you wanted to draft someone else and now you're holding something against him?

Who did you want @ 11th overall? Be honest too. Because I wanted Jerry Jeudy (and so thankful I was wrong).

@Mogglez

What do you mean "very up and down in college in pass protection" when he was THE BEST? And who did you really want at pick #11?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Why bother , he obviously has his mind made up so there's no point . 

Satterfield runs a version of the old Rick Rodriguez offense that he ran at WVU with more option elements to it.  Rodriguez ran some of this stuff while he was at Clemson.   Satterfield even runs triple option out of it.   

25 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yeah if he had told me he had had played for SF and ran the same system it might hold more credence - but comparing it to the Zone of Louisville is almost comical. 

I'm no expert, but I did find this pretty easily.  It would seem to support that Louisville models it's offensive scheme after SF, along with BAL and TEN.  

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/football/louisville-spread-offense-satterfield

Louisville’s spread offense is able to run the ball by incorporating what other offenses are doings.

“You look at what the Ravens are doing, they are able to run their quarterback, we’re doing a little bit of that,” Satterfield said. “You look at what the Titans are doing with the way they can run their running back with Derrick Henry this past year, you look at the San Francisco 49ers with the play action game off the outside zone is tremendous.”

12 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The differences aren’t minuscule.  Louisville is heavy RPO and spread out, there are far more called QB runs and they utilize 2 RBs most of the time.  

8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Why bother , he obviously has his mind made up so there's no point . 

Neither one of those two differences are going to prevent Becton from being a human turnstile.  It’s the same damn thing at it’s core.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm no expert, but I did find this pretty easily.  It would seem to support that Louisville models it's offensive scheme after SF, along with BAL and TEN.  

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/football/louisville-spread-offense-satterfield

Louisville’s spread offense is able to run the ball by incorporating what other offenses are doings.

“You look at what the Ravens are doing, they are able to run their quarterback, we’re doing a little bit of that,” Satterfield said. “You look at what the Titans are doing with the way they can run their running back with Derrick Henry this past year, you look at the San Francisco 49ers with the play action game off the outside zone is tremendous.”

Oh well would you look at that.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

LOL, why do people not understand that this isn't a thing. Moses is a RT. He has always been a RT. Asking him to switch positions midsummer - to flip his body and muscle memory 180 degrees - is absolute insanity. If Becton misses time, it'll be Fant on the left side. Moses can't play there

Moses blindfolded at LT would be a better option at this point.

• Haha 1

Just now, Mike135 said:

Could Becton's issues be caused by poor LG play?  

How else can you explain Becton looking good last season, and now looking like a massive pile of sh!+?

Yes and no, he’s getting beat badly off the outside.  Perhaps he’s cheating inside to protect Feeny, but this goes back to AVT, so it’s hard to say.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

By now, all teams have read that Becton may have problems with speed rushers.  If true, this body of evidence will grow after every preseason game and practice report.   Look for every quick edge rusher we face to be on Becton's side.  

54063015_tenor(4).gif.7dbdc28c54a62e0964c93caa625ee65b.gif

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

I think she's with the PR dept. Note how she moves out of the camera frame when she realizes she's in the shot. Absolutely what we're trained to do.

53 minutes ago, doublel9 said:

looks like his GF n she aint letting him outta her sight on first road trip ?.  She prolly already vetoed Rodgers inviting Zach to crib for "chalk talk"??

Think I solved the mystery.  I'm betting she is Danielle Bonnett, Coordinator for the Jets' Communications Department.  Sure looks like her.

EDIT:  Finally hit me who she resembles: Amanda Seyfried.

danielle-bonnett-54f2b980.jpeg.b6510ee5ddac8df90b6982992d5e4c5a.jpeg

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

And there are ways the Jets CS can beat that as they are also allowed to watch and breakdown film.  They can run directly to the pass rushers side, they can implement quick screens or misdirection to suck the pass rushers out of position. The key is to take advantage of the D's aggressiveness so they are not put in obvious 3rd and long type scenarios . In 3rd and long they cam offset by sliding a TE over or keeping a RB in to chip the rusher. 

This is why its hard to put a practice or scrimmage into the same spotlight - coaches aren't game planning like they would for a real gameday.

Completely agree and still hoping we are making too much of Becton's current struggles and/or it will be corrected before the season starts.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And there are ways the Jets CS can beat that as they are also allowed to watch and breakdown film.  They can run directly to the pass rushers side, they can implement quick screens or misdirection to suck the pass rushers out of position. The key is to take advantage of the D's aggressiveness so they are not put in obvious 3rd and long type scenarios . In 3rd and long they cam offset by sliding a TE over or keeping a RB in to chip the rusher. 

This is why its hard to put a practice or scrimmage into the same spotlight - coaches aren't game planning like they would for a real gameday.

Agreed.  The whole context thing is completely missed.  People stressing for no reason.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Oh well would you look at that.

You do know the difference between based off of and a bit of as opposed to the same.  You could argue all NFL offenses are based off the power I formation , but every teams implementation has their own flavors and wrinkles. 

I’m asking because I honestly don’t know. I thought that once the pads go on the lines go at it, and the blocking and pass rush is real. From what several of you said, it’s still “two hand touch.” Which is it?

If it is real, then the practices are a good gauge of where our lines are at right now because it’s the 1s versus 1s.

If it’s two-hand touch, do we really know anything until our 1s go against another teams 1s in a game?

I’m really not to create a debate. You don’t need help with that. I just want to know. 

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I have to admit, this thread makes me feel a lot better about opting out of my season tickets this year and betting the under on 6 wins. 

I don't know about that, but it is enough to make me think about giving up following all the practice/traning camp updates.  If all I did was watch the game on Saturday, I would be feeling pretty good about what I saw and looking forward to geetting another look this Saturday.

• Upvote 2

Just now, All Gas, No Gase said:

I’m asking because I honestly don’t know. I thought that once the pads go on the lines go at it, and the blocking and pass rush is real. From what several of you said, it’s still “two hand touch.” Which is it?

If it is real, then the practices are a good gauge of where our lines are at right now because it’s the 1s versus 1s.

If it’s two-hand touch, do we really know anything until our 1s go against another teams 1s in a game?

I’m really not to create a debate. You don’t need help with that. I just want to know. 

I'll let the more informed/skilled respond.  But you get repped for your username.  LMAO.  Awesome.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't know about that, but it is enough to make me think about giving up following all the practice/traning camp updates.  If all I did was watch the game on Saturday, I would be feeling pretty good about what I saw and looking forward to geetting another look this Saturday.

Okay, we played reasonably well las6t Saturday.  But did anyone else notice the paucity of talent on the Jints?  They looked awful and lost  on both sides of the ball.   Yeah, most first stringers didn't play.  But if that game reflects their caliber of talent?  They are a bunch worse than us..

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Neither one of those two differences are going to prevent Becton from being a human turnstile.  It’s the same damn thing at it’s core.

Seriously dude youre acting like a lil girl freaking that she had her first period. Enough already we get it at this point.

I am also concerned but NOT jumping off a bridge nor am I discounting a brilliant college career, brilliant rookie season and a good job Saturday.

Take a zanex. Stop repeating yourself over and over and over

• Upvote 1

This dude won an NCAA award as the Country's #1 and best past protector and throughout his entire NCAA career only allowed 4 sacks throughout I believe 2,300+ offensive snaps with 0 career holding penalties. 

And that's the definition of an elite Pass Protecting prospect. 

I could be wrong but I believe as an NYJ fan base we should at least give this beast a chance to develop as a Jet as Louisville once did before trashing him because of "practices". 

Because I seem to remember D'Brickishaw Ferguson getting used and abused in pass protection as a 2006 Rookie too (before developing into an NYJ legendary legend @ LT). 

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Okay, we played reasonably well las6t Saturday.  But did anyone else notice the paucity of talent on the Jints?  They looked awful and lost  on both sides of the ball.   Yeah, most first stringers didn't play.  But if that game reflects their caliber of talent?  They are a bunch worse than us..

Definitely.  Midgets looked bad enough that I drafted Denver's defense because they play 'em week 1.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You do know the difference between based off of and a bit of as opposed to the same.  You could argue all NFL offenses are based off the power I formation , but every teams implementation has their own flavors and wrinkles. 

Or they run a “west coast offense”, broad interpretations with in those.   It’s a lazy comparison.   Just look at what Louisville does on offense, the formations, the options, the lack of many true pass sets for the o-line.   I’d hold off on cutting Becton until after the first game though. 

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yes and no, he’s getting beat badly off the outside.  Perhaps he’s cheating inside to protect Feeny, but this goes back to AVT, so it’s hard to say.

It's possible. Combine that with a scheme change and a new OL coach and a foot injury and  ... well, it's possible that there's an explanation beyond "he's suddenly terrible against elite pass rushers"

But it's definitely cause for concern

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Or they run a “west coast offense”, broad interpretations with in those.   It’s a lazy comparison.   Just look at what Louisville does on offense, the formations, the options, the lack of many true pass sets for the o-line.   I’d hold off on cutting Becton until after the first game though. 

Yeah maybe we can sneak him onto the practice squad since he's so bad nobody will claim him ?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ok. I was going to walk away from this thread until I noticed this quote/post above. 

Very up and down in pass protection @ college?

(Written in 2019). 

"Louisville left tackle Mekhi Becton has brought home some hardware early in college football award season. Becton, was named the winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy. The award has been awarded to the ACC's most outstanding blocker since 1953 an is voted on by league's head coaches and defensive coordinators. 

The Louisville offense took a strong step forward behind Becton's talent and leadership. Heading into the Kentucky game, Saturday, Becton had not allowed a single sack in 628 snaps this season.

He also had 60 total knockdowns in 10 games and graded above 80% in nine of those 10 games. He recorded a season-high seven knockdown blocks and had a 90% grade against Syracuse, just two weeks ago.

Over the course of his career, he allowed just four sacks in 2,300 snaps".

So 4 sacks throughout 2,300 NCAA career snaps with 0 holding penalties is what you consider "very up and down in pass protection"? 

I love you as a Jets fan man you're 100% passionate and I'll always look forward to your posts and I take 99.9% of your posts seriously but your Becton posts while claiming Becton was up and down in pass protection when he was the best pass protector in all of NCAA Football (only 4 sacks allowed and 0 holding penalties committed despite 2,300 snaps) is letting me know that you wanted to draft someone else and now you're holding something against him?

Who did you want @ 11th overall? Be honest too. Because I wanted Jerry Jeudy (and so thankful I was wrong).

@Mogglez

What do you mean "very up and down in college in pass protection" when he was THE BEST? And who did you really want at pick #11?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

This dude won an NCAA award as the Country's #1 and best past protector and throughout his entire NCAA career only allowed 4 sacks throughout I believe 2,300+ offensive snaps with 0 career holding penalties. 

And that's the definition of an elite Pass Protecting prospect. 

I could be wrong but I believe as an NYJ fan base we should at least give this beast a chance to develop as a Jet as Louisville once did before trashing him because of "practices". 

Because I seem to remember D'Brickishaw Ferguson getting used and abused in pass protection as a 2006 Rookie too (before developing into an NYJ legendary legend @ LT). 

Tim Tebow was the bestest college QB ever.  

3 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

This year - we heard a ton of reports of him being overweight again, which likely led to his foot issues. He is now getting ROASTED in camp by Lawson - and is losing repeatedly now to Preston Smith - a guy who is not an elite pass rusher. 

I honestly don't remember seeing any reports about him being overweight. I found one from July 3 talking about how slender he looks. And as far as the foot issue, that was not directly linked to being out of shape, especially if you look into the athletes that typically get it (a lot of runners who are in good shape). 

I feel like people just immediately said he's out of shape because of the injury and ran with it but I saw multiple people debunk that afterwards.

I could be wrong and I am okay with that, but I want to make sure we're not just getting carried away with some things.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  The whole context thing is completely missed.  People stressing for no reason.  

Are you not concerned that at all that Mekhi is getting beat like a drum? Whether it's because of his foot, his technique or Feeney playing guard, I have no idea. What I do know that this coaching staff will have to figure out what is going on.