Jets - Packers Joint Practice Updates 8/18

Lith

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m worried about his college tape that said he was a bad fit at LT due to his lack of fundamentals.  I’m worried that he, seemingly, regressed from what he was doing around the same time last year.  I’m worried that he’s going to get our new QB landed on the IR.  Excuse me for giving a sh*t about all that I guess.  Practice, contrary to the memes, is not meaningless.  Especially now that pads are on.  He’s not getting beat like a drum because of any underlying reason.  He’s struggling.  Players who struggle in practice don’t typically get better when the bullets fly.

He's a great LT prospect.  He needs to work his ass off and get the coaching he needs.  The question is now that he's struggling for the first time in his life is he going to get to work. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I already told you that he’s played in this scheme in college and you, promptly, ignored it.

Furthermore, yes, the great ones don’t typically struggle day in and day out of practice, nor is it Becton’s first year anymore.

I didn't ignore it, I dismissed it - What he did in college has no bearing on his performance here - the competition just isn't the same level.

Oline is hardest position on the field to just plug in starters - it takes a large amount of repetition and familiarity for an oline to gel. Now add in the fact that he's working in a "different" scheme from last year with an entirely different coaching staff . There are going to be hiccups but it will get better. 

I'd be really curious to see how KC's oline plays in PS and early season as they are replacing virtually their whole line.  

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I didn't ignore it, I dismissed it - What he did in college has no bearing on his performance here - the competition just isn't the same level.

Oline is hardest position on the field to just plug in starters - it takes a large amount of repetition and familiarity for an oline to gel. Now add in the fact that he's working in a "different" scheme from last year with an entirely different coaching staff . There are going to be hiccups but it will get better. 

I'd be really curious to see how KC's oline plays in PS and early season as they are replacing virtually their whole line.  

If you believe that what he did in college has no bearing on what he did here and what he will be continued to asked to do, when he was very up in down in pass protection in college, and that the scheme he played in is exactly what he’s playing in now, then there’s no further conversation to be had here.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You need to fact check yourself.  He committed no 'holding' penalties.

He had 14 penalties at Louisville, including offsides and a few others.

Still very good and disciplined, but not the hyperbolic claim you made (becoming a bad habit).

Read that again.  He had 14 penalties....which is <> 0.

Penalties aren't Becton's issue right now, anyway so I'm not sure why you bring it up.  His issue is he is getting beat on the edge.  Often.  

Ok I stand corrected I misremembered 0 holdings as 0 penalties nonetheless he only committed 5 False Starts and 1 illegal formation (6 penalties as a rookie). 

Back to the subject at hand. 

Do you have any video footage or pictures of Mekhi Becton getting destroyed today or are you just believing the same beat writing hacks who told you Denzel Mims would be released and Zach Wilson was stinking (before both players flourished vs. NYG)?

What I believe is hyperbole are fans telling me he got "destroyed" without any video or picture evidence...

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ok I stand corrected I misremembered 0 holdings as 0 penalties nonetheless he only committed 5 False Starts and 1 illegal formation (6 penalties as a rookie). 

Back to the subject at hand. 

Do you have any video footage or pictures of Mekhi Becton getting destroyed today or are you just believing the same beat writing hacks who told you Denzel Mims would be released and Zach Wilson was stinking (before both players flourished vs. NYG)?

What I believe is hyperbole are fans telling me he got "destroyed" without any video or picture evidence...

Dude these guys got nothing....no videos...nothing. Just rambling assumptions based on dumb tweets by homer beat writers eating cheese and drinking PBRs. Dont get worked up by SISSYGIRLS. In the end they all just want to be Mr. Johnny "told ya so" Right.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

If you believe that what he did in college has no bearing on what he did here, when he was very up in down in pass protection in college, and that the scheme he played in is exactly what he’s playing in now, then there’s no further conversation to be had here.

The scheme is not exactly the same - Zone blocking is a broad category, while the concepts are the same every coach/staff implement it in varying ways.  So yes there is no further conversation needed to be had . 

• Upvote 2

Well, the honeymoon is over.

Time to see what Saleh is made of. Does he give the firey motivational speech we all hope he is capable of? Does he rethink the plan and make adjustments? Does he have the guts to bench poor players? Or is he just a pretty boy players coach. With a killer ass. And shoulders to die for.

Time will tell.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

The scheme is not exactly the same - Zone blocking is a broad category, while the concepts are the same every coach/staff implement it in varying ways.  So yes there is no further conversation needed to be had . 

Exactly, what Louisville was doing with their O-line is entirely different than the Shanny wide zone scheme.  Almost night and day to be honest. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Exactly, what Louisville was doing with their O-line is entirely different than the Shanny wide zone scheme.  Almost night and day to be honest. 

Yeah if he had told me he had had played for SF and ran the same system it might hold more credence - but comparing it to the Zone of Louisville is almost comical. 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

They ran a wide zone.  Same as the Jets.  It’s not nearly as broad as you think it is and simple google search could have told you that.

FEBD2C26-18C8-4FC8-901D-B3FE98C8F9D1.jpeg.42088d9de5f091a278312933df076dbd.jpeg

Like I said: no further conversation needed.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

No one is denying he had a good rookie year.  Many simply will not bury our heads in the sand re: his offseason.

What's wrong with his offseason as only a soon to be 2nd year player?

He's practiced against an elite veteran edge rusher in Carl Lawson who ranks top 1-3 in QB hits with 54 QB hits over the past two seasons and vs. NYG absolutely dominated his man in front of him. 

And I can quote over 100 tweets of Mekhi Becton winning snaps vs. Carl Lawson too. 

It's called developing @ only 22 years old. 

I remember D'Brickishaw Ferguson getting used and abused as a Rookie and especially vs. Aaron Schobel who sacked Pennington 3x (1 game) after destroying D'Brickishaw Ferguson. 

What's your point? That all great Franchise LTs get beat while still developing? 

But yeah. Until you guys can show me video evidence or even pictures of Mekhi Becton getting "destroyed" today I'll be leaving this knee jerk reaction thread for the rest of you guys to enjoy ?

Just @Defense Wins Championships tag me once you finally can show me video evidence of your Twitter claims of Mekhi Becton "getting embarrassed". 

X___ Signing out. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

They ran a wide zone.  Same as the Jets.  It’s not nearly as broad as you think it is and simple google search could have told you that.

FEBD2C26-18C8-4FC8-901D-B3FE98C8F9D1.jpeg.42088d9de5f091a278312933df076dbd.jpeg

Like I said: no further conversation needed.

Yes, I rely on Google searches for all my pertinent information , keep searching on Google you may even find out the Jets had won more than 1 super bowl.  And all this article says is Becton excelled in a wide zone scheme it says nothing about how it was schemed and utilized at Louisville. 

1 hour ago, JazzyJet said:

Can I point something out that doesn't seem to be getting mentioned. We're running a new offensive scheme, maybe it's either a) not a great fit for Becton or b) he needs to learn it better and get his mind around it more???

Seems odd to overreact and say he stinks all of the sudden when we already know he can be really good. So let's try to be reasonable here.

Reasonable? LMAO

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes, I rely on Google searches for all my pertinent information , keep searching on Google you may even find out the Jets had won more than 1 super bowl.  And all this article says is Becton excelled in a wide zone scheme it says nothing about how it was schemed and utilized at Louisville. 

This is laughable.  Where else do you think there are cut-ups of film.  This isn’t the 1970s anymore.  There are clips.  There are breakdowns.  Becton has played in the Wide Zone before.  What he’s being asked to do, he was asked to do in college.  In college he was an excellent run blocker and an incredibly raw pass protector who struggled against more technically sound pass rushers. You’re doing nothing but making excuses at this point because you’re clinging on to the hope that he pans out, just like everyone else.  Are there differences in how each team implements the wide zone?  Yeah, but they’re miniscule.  The concepts are, mostly, the same.  A minor tweak in deployment isn’t the difference between a guy dominating and being a human turnstile in practice.  If it were that simple, then I’d like to imagine that the coaching staff would have already made the necessary adjustments because you can’t do or evaluate ANYTHING when a play is blown up every single down in practice.

15 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Again, no context to them.  We have zero idea of what the play was, how it was supposed to be blocked and what actually happened.  I wouldn’t be jumping off of bridges just yet. 

I haven't jumped off the bridge. I am walking in that direction. Walking slowly. It's still camp.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

This is laughable.  Where else do you think there are cut-ups of film.  This isn’t the 1970s anymore.  There are clips.  There are breakdowns.  Becton has played in the Wide Zone before.  What he’s being asked to do, he was asked to do in college.  In college he was an excellent run blocker and an incredibly raw pass protector who struggled against more technically sound pass rushers. You’re doing nothing but making excuses at this point because you’re clinging on to the hope that he pans out, just like everyone else.  Are there differences in how each team implements the wide zone?  Yeah, but they’re miniscule.  The concepts are, mostly, the same.

The differences aren’t minuscule.  Louisville is heavy RPO and spread out, there are far more called QB runs and they utilize 2 RBs most of the time.  

• Upvote 3