Week 1 Overreaction

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

My God, it just never ends.  Becton and AVT are both busts based on yesterday??  This board is unreadable today.  

Becton?  Yes. I think it's safe to call him a bust.  He cant stay healthy and he's not very good.  

AVT?  No.  I didnt say that, he just clearly wasnt ready and they handed him the job with virtually no practice.  Just a strange approach.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Except the Pats have better personnel just about everywhere else, so what does it really tell us? These pronouncements about the importance of this game or that are ridiculous.  The NE game will tell us about as much as the Carolina game - that this team needs to grow and improve.  It's not a litmus test game.  Unreal.

The Pats brought is a ton of new players in free agency just like the Jets did!  What I'm saying isn't ridiculous...it comes down to coaching and it's a divisional game.

A lot of teams are going to use the first couple of weeks as their actual 'preseason'. I wouldn't take too much away from this game on all accounts. Chandler Jones isn't going to finish the season with 80 sacks. Jameis Winston isn't going to throw 60 TDs. Green Bay isn't going to go 2-15.

That being said - if anyone thought this Jets team was any good they're deluding themselves. Bottom five roster in the NFL, would be a miracle to win 6 games.

For now I’m going to focus on the positives of Zach’s performance and the DBs playing better than expected. 

If Zach’s numbers were the same for every game of the season he would throw for 4,386 yards 34 TDS and 17 ints. Who wouldn’t be excited if he put up those numbers as a rookie? And, he put those numbers up despite lousy protection and too many dropped balls. 

He should only get better and if the Oline can at least become average, we are in for an exciting season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

trash o line and even worse rbs is not a recipe for success

Joe has failed this team in many areas that he could have addressed last year or this year -folks will say he needs time and he will get it right but I need to see it to believe it especially since this year he is making the same mistakes as he did last year-coleman is this years gore-there is ZERO reason to have Coleman as our starting running back -NONE 

The jets will be lucky to win 3-4 games this year which really is not acceptable

51 minutes ago, House Jet said:

Exactly my sentiment. Everyone chill. We're most likely not going to make the playoffs but I really think this team will come into its own and play good ball. We will see  R E L A X

That is it. If this team is playing good football late November, December then the year will be a success. 

this week to week State of the Union Address has got to stop. 

based on what we saw yesterday Jameis Winston might be the greatest QB we have ever seen

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think the staff didn’t put enough stock into live preseason reps. The two rookies Moore and AVT didn’t play at all in the preseason and didn’t practice much either. 

And it showed. Guys who didn't play much in practice or preseason games weren't good. Becton, Moore, AVT, Williams, to name a few. I think this team will look better as the season moves along but it's still a 4-6 win team. 

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Here is how important week 1 is in the NFL.

In 2020, Tampa Bay lost and Jacksonville won.

In three of the last 4 seasons that the Jets advanced to the AFC Championship Game, the Jets lost in week 1.

I'm not saying the Jets are a playoff team (or are even close), but the season is a marathon and not a sprint and this team can look very different in December. Let's step away from the ledge and reserve judgement on, well just about everything, until the team plays a significant amount of games this season.  

If they don't change the offence in a way that accounts for the horrific play on on the offensive line, it wont be a sprint or a marathon for Wilson.  It will be a funeral.   Go two TE or two men in the backfield.  Something that gives redundancy in the protection/blocking scheme.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

We lost to a team led by Sam Darnold.  It's a dumpster fire.

BUT, we already bested our average points per game by 2. 

This was a very encouraging Game One IMO. Started off sh!tty, like the offense of the last few coach's offenses did. BUT then, unlike other coach's offenses, it got better. And so did the defense.

Yeah, it was against Sam Darnold. And, yeah, Robbie Anderson had his little Jets dance after being covered by nobody. But, to me, the Panthers looked like the Jets except I liked the way MY GUY Zach Wilson played.

That little Mormon Negro sure plays a mean QB. He's The Man! Put me in his camp like I've never been since Ken O'Brien.

• WTF? 3

28 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Embarrassing. That’s all I can say. And they let the one trick pony burn their collective asses. Unreal. 

There is nothing embarrassing about it. He has a better team surrounding him and McCaffrey is elite and will carve up some teams. It would have been embarrassing if they lost 38-3 but that wasn't the case, 

• Upvote 3

Superstar in waiting Elijah Moore was outperformed by every single one of the WRs (he is so butt hurt about being) taken before him in the draft. Even Kardarius Toney who had 2 receptions for -2 yards was better than Moore's 1 reception for -3!

Perhaps Elijah should remove those players' names from his bathroom mirror and instead take a good long look in the mirror at himself.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets are a bad football team. Everyone knew this whether they admitted it to themselves, or not. The upside for this season is finding the bright spots. And hopefully QB is one of them.

Thinking about it... Maybe the real Super Bowl Championship is the friends we make along the way.

• Haha 2

- The Offensive Line was so bad, which was shocking, and the biggest disappointment yesterday.

- Considering the lack of talent we have on defense, I think holding a team to 19 points on the road is a positive. I really thought that this defense was going to be one of the worst in league. They still might be by season’s end, but let’s hope for more efforts like yesterday.

- Continuing with defense, the tackling was so much better. I feel like every season since 2012 our defense had more missed tackles than any other team in the league. This was a welcome change, but the DL needs to step up their pressure on the QB.

- Zach looked damn good in the 2nd half, and you can really see his potential. Had 4 or 5 really good throw balls dropped. One by Moore that would have been 50+ Yarder and set us up for a score in the 1st half. 

- Corey Davis looked real good (although had a bad drop) but all the hype for Moore wow he looked bad.

- Running game non-existent…direct result of the putrid OL play.

- I expected us to lose yesterday and overall us to lose often this year. Zach impressed me in the 2nd half, let’s hope he plays like that consistently for 60 minutes. Let’s hope the OL improves and I think we’ll be in most games and have a real good foundation for the future.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Superstar in waiting Elijah Moore was outperformed by every single one of the WRs (he is so butt hurt about being) taken before him in the draft. Even Kardarius Toney who had 2 receptions for -2 yards was better than Moore's 1 reception for -3!

Perhaps Elijah should remove those players' names from his bathroom mirror and instead take a good long look in the mirror at himself.

Wow, shots fired!!

Jets fan to Moore: "Drop Dead!! you suck so bad I wish just didn't have the draft pick at all"

I don't think there will be an overreaction re the jets and their fortunes but there sure will be for many other teams.  It's going to be fun listening to national media on their shows this afternoon 100% abandoning ship on many of their pre season reactions and falling all over themselves to re institute new favourites.  (All the while talking as if this is how they felt all along.)

In the last 3 year’s or so teams have really dialed back on how much starters play in the preseason so week 1 is always wonky 

week 2 and 3 as well

You don’t really see what teams are until week 4

its just really unfortunate to get belicheat this week lol. He’s had a week to see what his guys are and what the Jets are. 

He’s going to take away Davis on offense and Q on defense.  

We’ll see who is holding out hope next Monday lol

1 minute ago, Larz said:

In the last 3 year’s or so teams have really dialed back on how much starters play in the preseason so week 1 is always wonky 

week 2 and 3 as well

its just really unfortunate to get belicheat this week lol. He’s had a week to see what his guys are and what the Jets are. 

Did Q actually play yesterday? I'll have to check the stats. I do remember Fatukasi making some noise and John The-Hyphen. Actually, I do remember one play Q made.

I see a definite possible win. The Pats have nobody. And are starting Mac Jones, not Tom Brady. He just lost to TagaSpelling. Not the Pats of yesteryear.

9 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Wow, shots fired!!

Jets fan to Moore: "Drop Dead!! you suck so bad I wish just didn't have the draft pick at all"

Not so. My point is he should not be so arrogant about being better than the players selected ahead of him before he has done anything in the NFL. No one makes you talk up your game before you've ever done anything in the NFL, but if you do talk up your game, you had better produce. Otherwise, you're just all talk.

I hope Moore is everything he and the Jets think he is, but until he becomes that player, talk is cheap.

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

week 2 and 3 as well

We’ll see who is holding out hope next Monday lol

Yeah a one dimensional offense with a rookie QB running into BB on week 2, is not good.