New England 5.5 favs over us Sunday=justified?

faba

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m surprised the line is this low.  This says it’s going to be a close game.  I can’t imagine the spread would be this low if darnold were the qb here.

Jets are home. Pats starting rookie QB. Just lost to fish and the awful tua. Bellicheat has all time losing record without Brady. Not much says Pats blow out other than the belief that the Pats will be good because they were good 2  years ago with Brady. 

PS- Not saying we are good either, but wouldn't think the Pats should be 7pt fave on the road against any NFL team. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jets are home. Pats starting rookie QB. Just lost to fish and the awful tua. Bellicheat has all time losing record without Brady. Not much says Pats blow out other than the belief that the Pats will be good because they were good 2  years ago with Brady. 

PS- Not saying we are good either, but wouldn't think the Pats should be 7pt fave on the road against any NFL team. 

Pats still get major public respect cuz of Beli, and everyone fades the Jets because they are the Jets. Perfect storm. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I hear you, but still, trying to look at this game as objectively as possible, the jets stunk for 3 quarters vs carolina, starting the most rookies in the nfl, have a lot of injuries and belichick always tortures rookie qbs.  That recipe seems like more than a 5 point win for NE even on the road.

• Upvote 2

They also have a line that’s allowed to hold most of the time. Along with a solid D with a scumbag that destroys rookie QBs. Refs aren’t letting Jets win this one and send Pats to 0-2, just not happening. 
I can't believe how many times our defenders were held Sunday....

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

Wait till this Sunday..

You ain't seen nothin' yet
F-F-F-Frankie , you just ain't seen n-n-n-nothin' yet
Here's something that you're never gonna forget
F-F-F-Frankie, you just ain't seen n-n-n-nothin' yet

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It depends. Does QW intend to show up this week?

QW is a JAG+....

Nice player, will make some good plays on occasion but this idea that he was going to break out this year and become the next great IDT was just pipe dreaming.

He's basically the same player in a long line of just above average, 1st round DT's we've drafted.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

QW is a JAG+....

Nice player, will make some good plays on occasion but this idea that he was going to break out this year and become the next great IDT was just pipe dreaming.

He's basically the same player in a long line of just above average, 1st round DT's we've drafted.

Hope not but this is why I preferred to pay Leo and draft another position. Seems we draft to save money, not to improve the team.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

Yeah it’s a big NFL conspiracy against the Jets. This is really a good D being undercut by phantom holding calls.

• Haha 1

Wait till "Lil Bill" gets to look at the film of the Panthers game and realizes the Jets have never been coached to pick up simple stunts, and blitz's in this scheme.

There will be DL, and LB'ers running free at Zach all game.  

This OL is acting like they have never seen a stun in their lives.  When LB'ers come, the RB's run right by them, not even a lil chip, giving them a free shot at zach.  Burns ran free several times because Thomson, who was wearing #7 came, Fant correctly blocked to the inside, and nobody picked up Burns.  This went on for a full half.

As crafty as "Lil Bill" is, I really fear for Zach in this game.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Wait till "Lil Bill" gets to look at the film of the Panthers game and realizes the Jets have never been coached to pick up simple stunts, and blitz's in this scheme.

There will be DL, and LB'er running free at Zach all game.  

This OL is acting like they have never seen a stun in their lives.  When LB'ers come, the RB's run right by them giving them a free shot at zach.

Yup.

If I'm Saleh I really have to consider sitting ZW for a few weeks, until they get this line sorted out.

Honestly, I don't think he can - but he's gotta be thinking about it.

• Upvote 2

I agree with the above posters who said it will likely be a close game.  Other than the fumbles against the Dolphins, I think the Patriots showed everyone what they want to do on offense.  Run a lot, accurate short/medium passes, with the occasional deep in sort of play action pass.  Jones definitely showed some rookie jitters, but he is playing within what the coaches asked of him.

A couple mistakes either way by any of the rookies, or inopportune fumbles/injuries, will swing this game.  I think it is unlikely that either team wins by 10+.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

QW is a JAG+....

I hope you are wrong and I am going to save your quote just in case. We will know sooner or later.

Long line of 1st round DT's? not sure it's a long line but who do you mean? In the entire franchise history there are only 4 first round DTs beside Q. -- William 2015, Richards 2013, Robertson 2003, Lyons 1979 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup.

If I'm Saleh I really have to consider sitting ZW for a few weeks, until they get this line sorted out.

Honestly, I don't think he can - but he's gotta be thinking about it.

I honestly don't think it's that the players on the OL stink, they don't.  3 of them have played well on other teams.  Two of them are high draft picks.

Here's what it's looking like to me.

Saleh runs a very straight forward simple 4 man rush, 7 back D.  That's all the OL has seen all summer.  When other teams come in, and are stunting, and sending 5-6 rushers, the OL and RB's just don't seem to know what to do in this scheme.  They have never been coached to pick it up.

That's sure as hell what it looks like when I go back and re- watch the game on Game Pass.

If something hasn't been done during the week, and I don't know what they can do at this point, if I'm Zach, after the 4-5 hit by un-blocked rushers, I stay down until it is fixed.

He won't, to young and tough for that, but that's what I would do. :) 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, flgreen said:

I honestly don't think it's that the players on the OL stink, they don't.  3 of them have played well on other teams.  Two of them are high draft picks.

Saleh runs a very straight forward simple 4 man rush, 7 back D.  That's all the OL has seen all summer.  When other teams come in, and are stunting, and sending 5-6 rushers, the OL and RB's just don't seem to know what to do in this scheme.  They have never been coached to pick it up.

That's sure as hell what it looks like when I go back and re- watch the game on Game Pass.

If something hasn't been done during the week, and I don't know what they can do at this point, if I'm Zach, after the 4-5 hit by un-blocked rushers, I stay down until it is fixed.

The OL wasn’t really overwhelmed physically as much as they were confused.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The Jets had the worst OL in the NFL last year.  Possibly the worst I've ever seen.

4 of the 5 starters from that line started on Sunday. (subbing in a rookie G)  And that wasn't due to injury.

It's not a system or practice issue - it's the talent.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Icer said:

It could be a close game if the Oline gets their sh*t together. The Pats are nothing special without the GOAT QB

The fins just beat them at home with an oline just like the jets...plus missing there starting LT. 

So a team with what many on here believe to be a bust QB and marginal oline beats them in their house why can't the jets?

3 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

The fins just beat them at home with an oline just like the jets...plus missing there starting LT. 

So a team with what many on here believe to be a bust QB and marginal oline beats them in their house why can't the jets?

I think your defense is a lot better than ours. You held them to 16 points -- I would be surprised if we pull that off.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, flgreen said:

There will be DL, and LB'ers running free at Zach all game.  

This OL is acting like they have never seen a stun in their lives.  When LB'ers come, the RB's run right by them, not even a lil chip, giving them a free shot at zach.  Burns ran free several times because Anderson, who was wearing #7 came, Fant correctly blocked to the inside, and nobody picked up Burns.  This went on for a full half.

I don't think BB will let his team watch film of the Jets Panthers game for fear that it will make his team be overconfident.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Jets had the worst OL in the NFL last year.  Possibly the worst I've ever seen.

4 of the 5 starters from that line started on Sunday. (subbing in a rookie G)  And that wasn't due to injury.

It's not a system or practice issue - it's the talent.

Got to disagree.

Connor McGovern, Greg Van Roten, and Morgan Moses have all played at a high level on other teams.  They are not being physically pushed around, they just don't seem to know what they should do in the scheme when more then 4 guys come.

Last year on opening day it was really the first time the OL had lined up together.  No two of them had ever lined up on the same line against other players.  It was about mid season when they learned each others first names.  LOL.  Last 6 games they actually played fairly well together.  

This year new, somewhat complicated,  zone blocking scheme. Mostly practiced against a D (the Jets) that doesn't blitz. They were confused when more then 4 players came , or even stunted.  Go re-watch the game.  This OL was worst then the OL last year. At least last year it was a man scheme.  Just hit the guy in front of you. If it wasn't for Zach getting rid of the ball quick, and moving around would have been real bad.

If the Panthers and Jets switched QB's Sam would have been sacked 10-12 times.

• Sympathy 1

Well according to Connor on this morning’s live stream, this is the same exact o-line play he’s been seeing all offseason. Not good and doesn’t sound very encouraging. 

at this point it’s up to the OC to get these players in better position to compensate for the OL problems. 

oh and according to boomer after watching the tape he said on some of those sacks and hits were on Zach. So I guess that’s encouraging if the kid is truly the quick learner the Jets have been raving about 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Got to disagree.

Connor McGovern, Greg Van Roten, and Morgan Moses have all played at a high level on other teams.  They are not being physically pushed around, they just don't seem to know what they should do in the scheme when more then 4 guys come.

Last year on opening day it was really the first time the OL had lined up together.  No two of them had ever lined up on the same line against other players.  It was about mid season when they learned each others first names.  LOL.  Last 6 games they actually played fairly well together.  

This year new, somewhat complicated,  zone blocking scheme. Mostly practiced against a D (the Jets) that doesn't blitz. They were confused when more then 4 players came , or even stunted.  Go re-watch the game.  This OL was worst then the OL last year. At least last year it was a man scheme.  Just hit the guy in front of you. If it wasn't for Zach getting rid of the ball quick, and moving around would have been real bad.

If the Panthers and Jets switched QB's Sam would have been sacked 10-12 times.

If you want to tell me it's the scheme I can agree that that's what's causing them to look completely lost - to the point that ZW should likely sit out...

But GVR was relegated to the CFL just a few years ago - he's not good.  

McGovern - was solid and got a pretty big contract, but I know you've seen players get their second contract and suck.  McGovern is awful right now.  Whatever he was, he isn't anymore.

Can this OL get to a point where they are bottom 10 instead of the worst in the league, maybe.

But the biggest problem is talent more than anything else.

• Upvote 2